Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEjqATcPAg

They made Kaworu x Shinji-lesbian edition :tongue:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Evangelion:3.0+1.0 Trailer 3 Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:13 pm

I need to watch this shot by shot, if not frame by frame now.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:25 pm

Interesting color parallels with Asuka and Mari. They're suiting up to save the world, in a well lit room, with bright white plugsuits. Kaworu and Shinji were wearing dark colored plugsuits, and we're descending to help Gendo destroy the world.

The new Mass Production Evangelion unit is way worse than last time, if that's what I think it is...

Also Rei Q is cute.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Asuka & Mari wearing matching white angelic plugsuits complete with rainbow graphics should dispel anyone hoping for a Shinji x Asuka pairing in the final film. She's moved past men.

(It looks incredible!)

I especially like that in their travels across the wilderness it looks like Shinji will fall down at some point and Rei Q will be the one to help him up - the close up of Rei, she's bending over towards camera.

And Rei saved the SDAT and offers him her hand.

Putting on plot hat: I figure in the final action setpiece - Part D - Asuka & Mari will go roaring into action first, have an epic battle and then things will go bad. At that point Shinji, with guidance/affection from Rei Q will get together into Unit 01 and tear some shit up.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 pm

Well, Asuka and Mari piloting together was already expected since forever, so that isn't news.

Rei Q staring like that looks super cute! Maybe this is hinting at her developing a new personality and finding herself. If this includes recovering Poka!Rei's memories, I'm not sure, but I think not. I kinda get the feeling Shinji will have to let go of Poka!Rei, and Rei Q will be fully realized as her own person. She also stops and looks back at Shinji. Her apparently giving his hand to someone (presumably him) might indicate she's gonna play a larger role in his recovery.

I have of course hedged my bets on Asuka doing most of that, and that shot of her standing outside that... cell looks like it. In fact, as we can see from the following shot, it seems Shinji is again being held as a prisoner. The lighting looks similar, and also reminds me of the quick shots we get of Shinji in the second trailer, holding the SDAT player and then with Kaworu as some sort of apparition, similar to Quantum Rei. It reminds me of the theories of her having been absorbed into the SDAT, and him into Unit 13, but maybe he's on the SDAT as well, haha. I'm guessing Shinji will spend a good chunk of the movie in this cell, though there is one shot that looks like a Big Motivation Moment. Asuka is there, looking at him. Maybe they'll have one long heart-to-heart talk.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:27 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Asuka & Mari wearing matching white angelic plugsuits complete with rainbow graphics should dispel anyone hoping for a Shinji x Asuka pairing in the final film. She's moved past men.

With this logic, Shinji is gay.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:28 pm

I certainly hope that happens, but I doubt it'll be that straightforward.

I'm just wondering if the final boss will be another human led army like last time, or if Anno goes where I think he is and the final boss is instead a fusion of all four Adams...
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 pm

Joseki wrote:With this logic, Shinji is gay.

Shinji is bi.
Asuka is gay.

(These are jokes BTW. Let's not distract the thread)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm

Frames from the plugsuit activation.
https://kuribo4indahouse.tumblr.com/post/632097945596084224

Also, the Eva Extra app has a pamphlet scan up.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:36 pm

What's the coffin thing Misato's looking at?

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:39 pm

ShinjiStranglesAsuka wrote:What's the coffin thing Misato's looking at?

I think those were the MAGI in the AAA Wunder.

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:43 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CEjqATcPAg

They made Kaworu x Shinji-lesbian edition :tongue:

FUCK. YES.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:44 pm

SPOILER: Show

Mmmh, I wonder where I saw that before...

Diffrently to Shinji and Kaworu however they are not piloting the same Evangelion (maybe it's S Y M B O L I C of them not being that much in synch? Maybe it's just plot related?). Also Unit 08 got a tail.

Is this the room where Mari and Asuka are changing? It looks like it may be over something, maybe Unit 02? (It's convenient to have the pilots rest near the Eva considering the Wunder is kilometers long)

Speaking of Evas, Mark.10 makes its debut and it looks creepy enough. I love the design.

Also in the Wunder, Misato is looking at something: maybe one installation of the Magi system?

2001: Space Odyssey food is back. Also there is russian crew onboard

Here it looked like either the Black Moon or Mt. Fuji were moving. The beginning of Final Impact?

Mari and Asuka descent inside the Guf, where there is a lot of white stuff floating

GNR, now also available in red

Q Rei showing some character. A very curious look on her face and a role reversal of the end of 1.0 with her giving her hand to someone (probably Shinji considering she has the SDAT in her hand)

My boy Shinji looking forward with determination

I've spoiled the post, as there's lots of big pictures and there might still be people with a slow Internet connection. -robersora

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:45 pm

They have white plugsuits. Theres a flashback of Asuka in her old plugsuit. Jesus christ, im going to have a heart attack.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:47 pm

I think Asuka in the red plug suit just happens before the white plugsuit in the movie, not in a flashback.

Also, that is the first scene in 3 movies with Mari physically in the same room with another character.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:49 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:They have white plugsuits. Theres a flashback of Asuka in her old plugsuit. Jesus christ, im going to have a heart attack.

Huh?! On the catwalk?

Shit.

Quantum Asuka confirmed?!

What is going on!!!

View Original PostJoseki wrote:I think Asuka in the red plug suit just happens before the white plugsuit in the movie, not in a flashback.

Right, but she's not even using her 3.0 plugsuit from the second half of that movie. It's her old one. It doesn't even look damaged like in the beginning of 3.0.

Caroline L.S.
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caroline L.S. » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 pm

This looks like hot mess of merch and toy advertisement. I mean, three trailers and for all I saw it could be three totally different movies. There is no common theme to it. I am still going to see it is they don't move it even further and I live that long, but the joy is gone. Looks too chaotic and what is with merching all those different suits? Anno tells us that Wille is strapped for resources and now we have like three suits in one movie? WTH! There also seems to be too much spectacle instead of character development and story.

Damn I hope I am wrong, but this looks bad.

ShinjiStranglesAsuka
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ShinjiStranglesAsuka » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:54 pm

How would you show character development in a 30 seconds trailer? And the Rebuild trailers were always chaotic.

Let's wait for the full movie before we pass judgement.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:59 pm

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote: Damn I hope I am wrong,

Doesn't sound like you want to be.
Sounds like you've made your mind up already.
Which is fine.
Just don't pretend otherwise.

There have been three 30 second trailers for, let's guess, a two hour movie.
The first of those trailers was entirely dedicated to the opening scene which was shown last year.
So we've seen an assortment of footage making up one minute of material from the remaining 110 minutes.

That's not even 1%.

From what I see the trailers are selling a movie that has one giant action scene in the final act. Everything aside from that is a complete mystery.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:00 pm

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote:This looks like hot mess of merch and toy advertisement. I mean, three trailers and for all I saw it could be three totally different movies. There is no common theme to it. I am still going to see it is they don't move it even further and I live that long, but the joy is gone. Looks too chaotic and what is with merching all those different suits? Anno tells us that Wille is strapped for resources and now we have like three suits in one movie? WTH! There also seems to be too much spectacle instead of character development and story.

Damn I hope I am wrong, but this looks bad.

This was less than thirty secons of the movie. I think you're reading into it too much.

We also got a visual parallel to 3.0 already, so I don't really see the lack of cohesion either.

Also, the Shin Eva pamphlet puts emphasis on this being an Anno movie, and shows his filmography + box office.
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”