GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America 2021

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:45 pm

https://evangelion.gkids.com/

Two years after the Netflix release, eh. Does Netflix's contract expire then? Or are the streaming and home video rights separate things? What subs? What dubs? Will it have Fly Me to the Moon?

I think those are all the possible questions.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: GKids releasing NGE Blu-Ray in North America June 2021

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:06 pm

We’ll have to wait and see this but this is good news.

GKids is first rate. This news leaves me wondering if they’re gunning for the Rebuild films as well. I don’t know how long those licenses last but 1.0 come out on Blu-ray like a decade ago.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:27 pm

It'll probably have the Netflix dub, which is fine by me, I prefer it to the ADV dub (though the Japanese version is still the best!). Anyway, I'm pretty excited for it. I hope it's not too expensive a release. I want it.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:18 pm

I'm expecting (and hoping!) it to have the new subs and dub. Mostly because both of them are just better than the old one, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't get some degree of enjoyment out of seeing a certain ADV voice actor taken down a few notches
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 pm

I initially confused Gkids for 4kids and was very confused.

I can guarantee that it will be the Netflix dub. That by all indication is Kharas preferred dub/translation, and it doesn't matter how much the ADV/FUNimation actors and their fans will bitch about it.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:47 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:And GKIDS announced today for the 25th anniversary that they're releasing Evangelion + 2 movies on blu ray in the West in 2021!

It seems to me this is similar to the "Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray" announced in May by a British distributor, Anime Unlimited.

Worth mentioning, as we have discussed extensively in the forums and has been noted on the wiki after the Netflix release, that this will in all likelihood only include the Netflix dub track (and Japanese, of course), as that was translated by Khara. Khara owns the ADV/Manga dubs and has chosen to not use them. This will likely be the case again here for multiple additional reasons.

There are two things I'm hoping for though:

1 - They will use the finalized version of the subtitles sent by Khara's translator to Netflix, which they have neglected to include even more than a year later. This will hopefully even include the missing on-screen text, which is supposedly not included partly because Netflix's subtitle system (or whatever its called) can't handle it.

2 - Fly Me To The Moon, of course. This would depend on how it might be licenced, but I imagine it's a different situation for licencing it for home video in one language for one market and licencing it worldwide for multiple languages. It might even be licenced only in NA but not UK/Ireland, perhaps?

I will say though, that I also have an emotional attachment to the ADV voice actors - which I'm hoping still return for 3.0+1.0, even though the new Khara script is clearly superior, and can be even better if it's the actual finished version. Is it a long shot to get them to redub it? Was the dub script even based on the non-finalized translation?

Let's not forget however that most people don't know that only some main characters retained their VAs from ADV NGE up until Eva 3.33 - only Shinji, Asuka and Misato. AWL as Rei having was replaced back in 2007 for Eva 1.0, and Gendo having his second voice actor, from the Director's Cut episodes, with the rest of the cast not remaining conistent. I miss you, Black Hyuuga.

Now of course opinions on the new VAs themselves are divided for these characters but I think it's safe to say that most everyone likes the new voices for side and background characters - what if we got Spike, Tiffany, Allison but kept the new cast for the rest? Seems unrealistic, I know. Frankly, if they're able to get FMTTM again that will be enough.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:00 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:what if we got Spike, Tiffany, Allison but kept the new cast for the rest

Spike and Tiffany are the biggest problems, IMO.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:52 pm

While I'd like the boxset to have the ADV dub, I doubt it will and that's just fine, I'd mostly watch it in Japanese anyway, and occasionally use the Netflix dub (despite really not liking the VAs for Shinji or Asuka). But I'd really hope they continue to use the same main characters in 3.0+1.0, both because I prefer them, but also for consistencies sake.
we are many, but you are alone

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:22 am

I seriously was not expecting GKids, this is amazing!!!!

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:53 am

The Italian BD release coming next year will include the pre-Netflix dub only, so it's not a guarantee that this will only include the Netflix ENG dub.

I still expect it to be Netflix only, but I'm not taking it as a certainty yet.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:47 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:The Italian BD release coming next year will include the pre-Netflix dub only, so it's not a guarantee that this will only include the Netflix ENG dub.

I still expect it to be Netflix only, but I'm not taking it as a certainty yet.

Yeah but you know the Netflix release removed (!) their Italian redub because it was so shitty and made by that Cannarsi guy, who as far as I can tell is basically an industry-wide shit stirrer. As far I can tell the new one they got 2 months ago was made independently in response to the universal dissaproval at that one, so whoever is licencing the BD in Italy is probably not bothering to get that one and it's easier to get the older one. If we consider that the situation for the English language is quite different than the other ones with Kanemitsu handling it and all. Like I mentioned, Khara has lots more reasons not to use the old ADV/Manga version, which they already own.

Here in Brazil they thought it'd be funny to add in memes on the subtitles which are of course already outdated a mere year later. But otherwise the dub is a clear improvement on an already good one - as you probably know too, the US/English dub industry was (and some would argue still is) on a much lower level of quality and professionalism in the late 90s compared to Spanish, Italian, Portuguese of French ones, all of which were barely changed for Netflix. Here we got our very first dub of EoE and D&R, for instance, and it's great. Same cast and all.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:42 am

Consume fecal matter, Funimation!

Nah, j/k. I'm actually under the impression that the long(ish) wait for a US Blu-ray release had something to do with Khara wanting to sell over-priced Japanese Collector's Editions of the show (which I bought, of course) without competing with their own local market by releasing the show in foreign countries with far more affordable prices. (Blu-rays are usually about $60-$70 a disc in Japan.) As soon as Khara released their priced-down "Standard Edition" set, it was a sign that they were done making all of the money they could and were willing to let the discs be sold for less in other countries. I don't think Funimation or anyone else could have acted quicker than GKids already did as far as this goes.

Also, has GKids released TV series before? I know they have a ton of feature films, and (I think) all of the Studio Ghibli collection.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:56 am

This is obviously cool news for Eva fans. There isn't really an easy way to get your hands on a physical Eva copy, so this is rather exciting (especially if it uses the in my opinion far superior Netflix sub). Whether I'm actually going to end up buying this depends a lot on its ultimate price since I'm not currently at a place where I have money to burn. Also, since GKids have the theatrical and physical, but not the streaming rights, I can still watch Eva on Netflix for some time now.

Does anyone else think that this could possibly be part of a long-term plan from Khara? We got the original continuity works on Netflix in 2019 and now we've got a Blu-Ray in North America, all of which is close to the intended release of Shin. Do you think it's possible this was an intended practice of Khara to raise awareness/knowledge of Eva and make it more easily acceptable before coming out with the kind of awesome collection that fans are bound to want to buy, especially if there's the finale for a long new series of films coming by? And it'd take some time to actually give Shin a wider release any way, so there might be something else Khara had in mind, though the long tentacles of COVID-19 are kind of harassing any theatrical plans. Though this does make me wonder how they planned that out-Funimation still has the rights to Rebuilds, right? I hardly see Anno and Co. not giving them the opportunity to release their own version of Shin too, but GKids being the one responsible for this new Blu-Ray does make me wonder if there's perhaps a plan to give the Rebuilds over to them too once Funimation's contract is expired.

Not saying that what FreakyFilmFan4ever said was false, just wondering whether there might be more to this decision.

Sure hope we're going to get FMTTM and subtitles for the huge screen texts Anno sometimes uses. I'm still puzzled over Netflix not having done those two things and that's a mistake that does not bear repeating. (I was way too confused about EoE's little excursion to the Japanese Government since no subtitles meant I had no idea who was talking and what their agenda was.)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:29 am

I always viewed the whole situation as though Netflix was the way through which Khara was increasing awareness of Evangelion. I'm not sure how Netflix NGE lost FMTTM, but it wouldn't surprise me if Studio Khara had actually opted out of paying the license for the international use of the song. If that's the case, then I would see the Netflix release as Khara spending as little as possible to increase awareness while also trying to profit as much as possible from the Netflix contract. But song licenses tend to be far more affordable and straight forward when that song is only being licensed for use in one or two countries, and isn't being distributed/accessed across the entire globe all at once, so I would assume that getting the US license for FMTTM would be far more feasible than trying to acquire an international license. My bet is on GKids Blu-rays having FMTTM. I also wonder what kind of English dub we're gonna get. Something tells me that Netflix has some sort of ownership over the dub they've produced? (Or maybe the studio who produced the dub has some sort of joint ownership with Netflix?) If we did get the new dub, I would like to see both the Netflix and the ADV included in the same release, with the original Japanese language track getting the lossless treatment.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:06 am

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I wasn't aware that the FMTTM rights could potentially have more to do with Khara than Netflix.

I think it's already been said that the Netflix dub/sub is the one we're most likely going to get. Khara is more responsible for that and their translation standard is basically ''as literal as possible'', which the Netflix sub is certainly more of. It would be nice to have the old ADV dub/sub too for those fans who first met Eva through them though that whole negotiation could potentially be quite hard since ADV is basically just about defunct from what I understand. I don't imagine that being a dealbreaker for the majority, anyway. And if Khara really did put Eva on Netflix so as to raise awareness, then I don't think they'd really care about including the ADV version.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:50 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I can guarantee that it will be the Netflix dub. That by all indication is Kharas preferred dub/translation, and it doesn't matter how much the ADV/FUNimation actors and their fans will bitch about it.

The best news for me is that it's NOT funimation who got the rights!

As for the content, I'd be fine if:
-it's the Netflix dub but with fly me to the moon
-the JP dub is included
-the subtitles are the ones we never got through Netflix
-the remaster quality is that of the JP blu ray set

I do love me the ADV dub a lot more than Netflix, but I guess I have my Platinum Box that I got back in 2006/2007(?) lol

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:08 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Spike and Tiffany are the biggest problems, IMO.

I very much agree. Another reason why I am seriously hoping that they are not on the new release is so people finally stop excusing their quite frankly awful attitude towards Eva and its fans because they feel nostalgic for their performance in the old ADV dub
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:07 pm

Why was this thread renamed June 2021?

I haven’t seen any confirmation from GKids (or anywhere really) on a set month. GKids just said “Coming in 2021”.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:17 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:-the JP dub is included

If the Japanese dub isn't included, then something will have gone horribly wrong lol.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

bobgoesw00t
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby bobgoesw00t » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:26 pm

If GKIDS is smart, they'll try to have both the original dub and the Netflix version. Regardless of if it ends up having both, the ONLY thing that needs to happen is that they DON'T use the new translation of the kawoshin bath scene because that was a load of bullshit IMO. Considering how basically ANYONE who's heard of Evangelion knows that kawoshin is 100% without a doubt completely canon. The new translation got rid of that completely and I can tell you now if they stick with that version, the fans are gonna lose their shit again. As for the issue with the endings, I personally think that won't be a problem considering how much backlash there was in response to Netflix not paying the license fee to use all 26 versions outside of Japan. If Netflix payed almost TWICE the amount needed to use the songs just to get the streaming rights to Friends, GKIDS will more then likely be willing to fork over the cash needed. Can't wait to hear the "Fry Me To The Moon" with the upside down naked floating Rei again...really need to make a video of that but with the Infinite Climax Mix playing instead xD
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”