Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:16 pm

So the marathon of the Rebuilds on NHK just ended yesterday, with no info for Thrice upon a Time. No new stuff, no date, even the infamous 08+02 preview is missing this time (could it implied that the idea is officially canceled?). Just a thank to who watched and an invite to see the Avant 1 on EVA EXTRA.

Now I don't know you, bit this marketing strategy of "less is better" is becoming a little too stretched, almost disrespectful for all the people who patiantlly waited almost 9 years for a movie that doesn't even have a date.

What do You think? Khara's strategy is ingeniously good or is becoming too much tiring?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Khara's lack of marketing of 3.0+1.0: a lack of respect?

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:35 pm

Is the wait hard? Yes. But I don't see the disrespect. They don't owe us this movie. Some people have bought tickets, but they bought them when there was barely any info out either.

Some might think something should be shown sooner, but maybe khara wants to reveal as little as possible, and reveal what they "have" to reveal in the form of some inevitable pre-release trailer as close to the film as possible. Add to that the fact that they might not know themselves due to corona.
The wait is hard and has been long, but at the end of the day they have to treat the film like they'd treat any other film they made.

Might seem unrelated, but I'd contrast this with Nintebdo's 2020, where you invested 320€ (as an early adopter, which is my case) in a system and are then left in the dark as to what huge games will come for a big part of the year, or if there will be huge games at all. Even in that case I think Nintendo has the right to choose to do their marketing how they want, it sure won't sit well with me though.

With Eva, we know the film exists, and other than that they couldn't reveal much more outside of the release date, which they might still don't know. And a trailer (which I desperately need) not dropping yet I guess makes sense.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:55 pm

The lack of marketing is rather frustrating, but honestly, what can we do? Might not be the best PR choice, sure, but it's not like we could ever do anything about it. The wait is painful, it sure as hell is, but I have a strong strong feeling it will be very much worth the wait. And it's not like Khara can do much to announce stuff right now when almost everyone on the planet is busy waging a second cold war with eachother, and almost every developed country out there racing to have the most effecient vaccine out first before the other manages to do it before them. We're living in some rather strange times, and the best we could do right now is just wait it all out.
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:05 pm

I wouldn’t say lack of respect. Khara really doesn’t owe the viewers or fans anything besides a good movie. We’re not friends. If they make a good movie then they’ve done their job and it doesn’t matter how long it takes. People will still want to se the film whether it comes out now or next year.

I think it’s really more mismanagement. Someone, whether it be Anno or Toho or whoever, is holding things up. If they just said “The movie will still be released in 2020” OR “The movie has been delayed to 2021” they would remove 90% of the frustration fans have because they’d then have some idea of when to expect the film. Khara wouldn’t have to put out an exact date but a rough idea of when would alleviate much frustration.

When the first trailer came out in 2018 saying the movie was a 2020 release so much angst and speculation was gone because now fans had an idea of when. There were no discussions of “Will it come out in 2019”etc.

Khara was honestly doing pretty good with the marketing for Thrice Upon A Time up to the COVID-19 delay. Most likely they would have started the marketing in full back in March With trailers, tv spots, posters, etc but chose to wait and see what the virus would do until they ultimately had to delay. I’m sure they’ll do a great job marketing the film when they decide to announce a new date.

But yeah, they would remove much frustration from the fan base if they just said “Still 2020” or “2021”. They’ve likely already made the decision and for whatever reason - Toho not wanting to hurt their stocks more having to delay their biggest movie of the year don’t know - they just haven’t made that decision public.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pluto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Pluto » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:09 pm

I live in tokyo and there's actually a lot of marketing in a lot of places right now for the movie.

For example,

On the Odakyu line, there's the trailer for the movie playing everyday inside the train car on the monitors to thousands of people.

The EVA x Hakone posters all over the place (I actually went on this vacation and it was pretty fun).

The limited edition EVA candies, chips, and snacks in almost every conbini. (There's these SD chibi Kaworu + EVA 13 and Asuka EVA02 candies that were just released this week.)

EVA x Uniqlo (a popular clothing store) selling limited edition T shirts in preparation for the movie.

The marketing has been growing strong since this month and combined with the NHK broadcast, I don't see a lack of marketing whatso ever. Before Corona there was a little trickle of marketing for the upcoming movie at like 7/11 but the momentum has been picking up steadily even without an official release date.
Oh, the clock is ticking out

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 pm

I wouldn't call it a lack of respect, but I wouldn't call it fair and reasonable either. Eight years of straight up drip feeding bread crumbs to us does come off as insulting. It'd be a bit more understandable if they simply bothered to tell us what specifically they're delaying it for; talks about Sagisu finishing the score or waiting for the situation to get better in Japan are just rumors at this point because Khara hasn't said anything.

And that's the big elephant in the room, Khara likes to say nothing. We can say how they tweeted out today about Final until we're blue in the face, but it doesn't really tell us anything about the movie or it's current status. I don't think whoever is in charge of their marketing/PR seems to understand that they can totally talk about the status of the movie or what they plan to do going forward without having to spoil the movie itself. I get it, this is the big finale to a 25 year old series, but telling us when to expect news isn't going to tell us things like "Asuka dies" or "Misato is the 11th Angel" or other story details. This isn't anything new, they were pretty bad with Q as well up until the final two months or so. I WANT to say they did better this time around considering we got both Avant and two variations of a thirty second preview last year, but that doesn't mean I'm going to immediately forget all the years of "we're working on it" with nothing else to show for it (and that's taking Anno's hiatus to work on Godzilla into consideration as well).

It's also really hard to take the radio silence seriously when other big name anime movies that got delayed have already came and gone (*cough*cough* F:SN Spring Song *cough*cough*); granted that movie was closer to release and already was pretty much done being in the oven, AND also was a pain in the ass getting info on. However, at the end of the day I can't ignore the results: theaters are reopened at reduced capacity and UFOtable has officially released a work that was also delayed. We could say "they're not saying anything cause it's pushed back to 2021 for the Tokyo Olympics!" that would be a fair argument wouldn't it? If it wasn't for the fact that 2020 was (and still kind of is) hyped to Hell and back as the year for Eva with it being the 25th Anniversary; and a simple post saying that it's being pushed back a year would literally hurt no one.

I don't know, they don't owe us a movie, but I don't owe hype and gratitude either for something that almost seems like they don't want me to see. Counting the Q advertising, it's been a decade of this kind of marketing, and I'm personally running on fumes just to see this project finally be done. In all honesty, whatever Studio Khara does after Eva doesn't interest me in the slightest; not because it's not Eva, but because I'm not going to subject myself to another grueling nightmare of continuous "Wow, it was absolutely nothing" time after time. Simply put: I'm tired and I want off the ride.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:30 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I don't know, they don't owe us a movie, but I don't owe hype and gratitude either for something that almost seems like they don't want me to see. Counting the Q advertising, it's been a decade of this kind of marketing, and I'm personally running on fumes just to see this project finally be done. In all honesty, whatever Studio Khara does after Eva doesn't interest me in the slightest; not because it's not Eva, but because I'm not going to subject myself to another grueling nightmare of continuous "Wow, it was absolutely nothing" time after time. Simply put: I'm tired and I want off the ride.

TL;DR - Khara's silence and lack of PR has destroyed this man's love for Evangelion.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:51 pm

Lack of planning for Covid maybe, but nobody had this is mind. But you're crazy if you feel disrespected by this, it was 2AM in Japan for crying out loud.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:00 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Lack of planning for Covid maybe, but nobody had this is mind. But you're crazy if you feel disrespected by this, it was 2AM in Japan for crying out loud.

That's the thing though. I don't see how it is possible for anybody to blame Khara for the delay or anything like that. I mean, it was a rapidly increasing epidemic for crying out, it's not like they had a fortune teller's ball to predict that a deadly and terrible virus would close down all the theaters and everything else in Japan and would make them push back the release of the movie a year foward.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:06 pm

View Original PostMr. M wrote:this marketing strategy of "less is better" is ... almost disrespectful

This is the just the way things are right now. It sucks. We're in uncharted territory. It is not uncommon even in normal circumstances for film studios to complete and then shelve films for years before a film is deemed financially viable to release. Think about it, these guys have spent years worth of salaries, overhead, and outsourced labor on this film, and botching it's release could lead to financial woes or disaster.

I know some studios are leaning into newer models, Disney is throwing caution to the wind and releasing Mulan on Disney+. It's been suggested to me that they'll probably wait until next year so the release coincides with the Olympics, as was apparently the plan the first time around.

Personally, I would love it if they could use the time to polish the film and plan some sort of digital/on demand worldwide simultaneous release, but I understand the Japanese film industry is quite conservative and fiercely anti-piracy, so I doubt they're going to go down that road anytime soon, unless of course things deteriorate and movie-going is once again off the table for a protracted period of time.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:31 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I don't know, they don't owe us a movie, but I don't owe hype and gratitude either for something that almost seems like they don't want me to see.

I'm pretty sure they desperately want us to see the movie. They probably feel more frustrated not being able to show it than us not being able to see it.
But you can't show much of an animated film when it's in the middle of being animated or when its future is uncertain as it is now. Some more info would be nice, but I don't think the frustration surrounding all this is their fault.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:49 am

Honestly, at this point I just want this saga to end already.

It's been close to a decade since the previous film ended on one of the biggest downers ever, and every year that goes by without even a hint at when the conclusion comes out makes it even harder to swallow. Especially given that I myself have gone through so many things in my life in the years between that film and whenever the last movie is gonna be released, meaning I have far less reason to be invested. For that matter, I've seen so many other stories and media grow and even come to a conclusion, yet we are still without a resolution to such a depressing film.

Heck, maybe Anno wouldn't have been in this position thanks to COVID-19 if he actually focused more on it and didn't constantly push it aside for other projects. For that matter, the fact that he has tried his best to not work on it in favor of other works makes me think that he himself is sick and tired of this series, and at this point also just wants to get it over with so he can move on to things he is obviously much more passionate about.

The whole thing has pretty much turned into a joke in my eyes.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:49 am

View Original PostPluto wrote:The marketing has been growing strong since this month and combined with the NHK broadcast, I don't see a lack of marketing whatso ever. Before Corona there was a little trickle of marketing for the upcoming movie at like 7/11 but the momentum has been picking up steadily even without an official release date.

Thanks for posting this. As an American fan of Eva, I can certainly attest that many of us here (myself included) feel left out of all of this Eva hype. The only thing we really had was only the teasers and the release date. (Posters don't really have the same effect after the image is initially posted on a US based forum, and then nowhere else where we can see them.) We don't get to see clothing lines in our shops or anything like that. So when that release date was canceled and the teasers stopped updating, we stopped getting any daily reminders of the film's existence. It almost feels like Shin Evangelion dropped off the face of the Earth, never to be heard from again. I'm glad to know the Eva hype is still strong over in Japan.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:24 am

I think the lack of information by Khara hasn't affected me more because I've sort of resigned to the movie always being something that is coming out eventually.

I don't even remember a time before the Rebuild movies coming out, when I first watched Evangelion 9 years ago, two Rebuild movies were out and people were anticipating a third.
It's no exaggeration to say waiting for a Rebuild to come out is normal for me.

That said, I share the sentiments of others here in wanting this to end. Evangelion was something really important to me. The last Rebuild movie won't have the same impact, but it will still be a sort of chapter ending, the end of a particular era of anime watching. I do crave the release.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of afraid for Khara. Despite existing for quite some years now, they've barely done anything besides Rebuild. All I can see that they've done recently is( I assume) some key animation work for the first Studio Ponoc movie and Darling in the Franxx. I think that they also did some CG stuff for other things, but I hate CG so I honestly don't care.

What the hell are they going to do after this? They started as the Rebuild studio years ago, and that was fine when they were getting started, but they barely did anything else since then. Compared to something like Trigger their output is barely noticeable.
If Hideaki doesn't do some anime project after this and instead does some live action thing what are they even going to do? Float on the Evangelion money for some years?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:23 am

Khara had their Animator Expo project, don't forget...

To me, I think the Studio has obvious future projects on tap (whether animation or live action) once Eva's all wrapped up, it's simply a matter of what they want to focus on first in their post-Eva company. I'd still love to see Anno do some original content, like that space adventure he loosely had on tap.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:29 pm

The Khara team worked on SHIN GODZILLA in a lot of production fields, they’re likely working on SHIN ULTRAMAN and we know Khara has some mystery project in some form of production due to release in 2022 (maybe 2023 if everything is pushed back because of Covid).

I would also not be surprised if a lot of these guys help Ghibli finish Hayao Miyazaki’s final film since he and Anno are so close.

Khara’s gonna be busy.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:05 pm

In before people say “Khara died after Eva,” despite them working on live action works.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:37 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Khara had their Animator Expo project, don't forget...

6 years ago, yes.

I guess my problem is just that the live action stuff doesn't interest me as much. I liked the Godzzila movie, but I'm an anime fan, my interest in guys in rubber suits is kinda limited. Also, I feel like that by this point they should have released at least one TV anime.

But what I'm seeing is that they just aren't that sort of studio. Aside from eva the only other 2D things they did recently was the animator expo and the Dragon dentist thing, and that also was 3 years ago. Maybe they're not even interested in TV at all, maybe they just want movies and the like, and if that's the case I can't help but feel disappointed.
Stuff takes time, I know, I can't expect what is by all indications a small company to be doing tons of stuff. I just keep unfairly comparing them to Trigger and their bigger output of anime.

I also still get the feeling that they are way too driven by Hideaki Anno and the Gainax old guard.

I'm being a bit negative, I know. I'll only really find out what happens to them in a few years.
Last edited by Justacrazyguy on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:01 pm

the fact that he has tried his best to not work on it in favor of other works makes me think that he himself is sick and tired of this series, and at this point also just wants to get it over with so he can move on to things he is obviously much more passionate about.

I don't know what makes you think Anno isn't passionate about Eva, but the guy has been working on the film for over 4 years lol.
And even if he didn't care, that wouldn't automatically affect the film's quality or our enjoyment of it, but anyway, he clearly deeply cares for Eva. In fact that care and perfectionism is the reason it takes so long.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:30 am

View Original PostMr. M wrote:Now I don't know you, bit this marketing strategy of "less is better" is becoming a little too stretched, almost disrespectful for all the people who patiantlly waited almost 9 years for a movie that doesn't even have a date.

There is nothing disrespectful about not having a release date right now.

If anything, I was a lot more annoyed by the way Warner Bros. kept announcing new release dates for Tenet (wasn't it delayed 3 times in the span of 30 days?)

The truth is, khara itself probably doesn't know when the movie will release. They have internal plans, but the COVID pandemic is changing drastically on a weekly basis around the world.

TheFriskyIan wrote:It's also really hard to take the radio silence seriously when other big name anime movies that got delayed have already came and gone (*cough*cough* F:SN Spring Song *cough*cough*); granted that movie was closer to release and already was pretty much done being in the oven, AND also was a pain in the ass getting info on. However, at the end of the day I can't ignore the results: theaters are reopened at reduced capacity and UFOtable has officially released a work that was also delayed. We could say "they're not saying anything cause it's pushed back to 2021 for the Tokyo Olympics!" that would be a fair argument wouldn't it? If it wasn't for the fact that 2020 was (and still kind of is) hyped to Hell and back as the year for Eva with it being the 25th Anniversary; and a simple post saying that it's being pushed back a year would literally hurt no one.

Spring Song is a mid budget production compared to Eva, it's not a fair comparison.

If I'm not mistaken, all the big hitters of the anime industry are still in the same limbo.

- Shin Eva - TBA
- Detective Conan 2020 - TBA
- Pokémon 2020 - December 25th

The only big release post COVID-19 was Doreamon, and it was a flop.

Justacrazyguy wrote:I'll be honest, I'm kind of afraid for Khara. Despite existing for quite some years now, they've barely done anything besides Rebuild. All I can see that they've done recently is( I assume) some key animation work for the first Studio Ponoc movie and Darling in the Franxx. I think that they also did some CG stuff for other things, but I hate CG so I honestly don't care.

What the hell are they going to do after this? They started as the Rebuild studio years ago, and that was fine when they were getting started, but they barely did anything else since then. Compared to something like Trigger their output is barely noticeable.
If Hideaki doesn't do some anime project after this and instead does some live action thing what are they even going to do? Float on the Evangelion money for some years?

This is the timeline of khara's works according to their website [lots of stuff missing]

- May 17 2006 - khara is founded
- September 15 2006 - Studio khara estabilished, Rebuild production started
- September 1 2007 - Evangelion:1.0
- April 25 2008 - Evangelion:1.01
- May 27 2009 - Evangelion:1.11
- June 27 2009 - Evangelion:2.0
- May 26 2010 - Evangelion:2.22
- August 24 2011 - pair* / Meaw Music Video [CG animation]
- September 3 2011 - Kantoku-Shikkaku [live action movie produced by Anno]
- April 6 2012 - The Forefront of Contents Business JAPA-CON TV [anime opening animated by Anno, Honda and others]
- July 10 2012 - Museum Director Hideaki Anno’s “Tokusatsu” Special Effects Museum: Craftsmanship of Showa and Heisei Eras Seen Through Miniatures Exhibit Film A Giant Warrior Descends on Tokyo [short tokusatsu film produced/animated by Anno]
- November 17 2012 - A Giant Warrior Descends on Tokyo-Theatrical Version / Evangelion:3.0
- April 24 2013 - Evangelion:3.33
- August 29 2014 - Majin Station Promotional Video [CG animation]
- November 23 2013 - Shiro SAGISU petit film #01 [animation]
- December 29 2013 - Super Hyperspace Protective Wall Cheese Neapolitan [CG animation]
- November 7 2014 - Japan Anima(tor)’s Expo [36 short animations]
- December 3 2014 - Beautiful World [animation]
- July 15 2015 - Japan Anima(tor)’s Expo [theatrical release]
- August 26 2015 - NEON GENESIS EVANGELION [BD/DVD release]
- July 29 2016 - Shin Godzilla [live action]
- September 29 2016 - Sakura Nagashi [animation]
- October 15 2016 - Go Go Japan Anima(tor)’s Expo [theatrical release]
- November 23 2016 - Studio khara 10th Anniversary Commemoration: Eva of the Past and Eva of the Future, and the Current Studio khara Exhibition Film Simple History in Anime: The Big Kabu [CG animation]
- January 19 2017 - Gravity Daze The Animation ~Ouverture~ [CG animation]
- February 25 2017 - The Dragon Dentist

That is 4 animated movies (3 Evangelion movies + The Dragon Dentist), 36 shorts, 1 live action and various contract works including promo video and videogames (Gravity Rush, Fire Emblem series) in 14 years, with a 5th movie that would have been release if it wasn't for a pandemic and Shin Ultraman coming (in theory) next year.

TRIGGER has to be more prolific because they work with a production commitee, meaning they get almost nothing from their works.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:In before people say “Khara died after Eva,” despite them working on live action works.

To be honest, people have been giving khara the de profundis for years and we are not even in a "post Eva" era.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”