The Highly Incomplete And Inofficial Encyclopedia of Fanfictions

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

The Highly Incomplete And Inofficial Encyclopedia of Fanfictions

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:35 am

Since I constantly forget which Fanfictions I've read and find it a chore to go through the search-functions of either FF.net or Ao3 to find new stuff that interests me, this shall be the place where I list everything I've read or come into contact with, to give other people a quick and easy way to pick out new stuff to explore. Maybe this can grow into something bigger than my own personal vanity project, a place to gather recommendations (or warnings) in a format that is easier to sift through than pages upon pages in by now old threads. Obviously this will be biased towards my proclivities - but I hope to include a broader spectrum eventually, creating a comprehensive list! Please use the FanFic recommendation thread if you want to make suggestions! (I can't promise anything, but I'll try to work through the thread and include the recommendations!)

Category: Post NGE Canon

• Ghosts of Evangelion - by Bagheera - Thanks to pwhodges for preparing the PDF! Well, this FF does not need a big introduction: It's the quintessential "What would realistically happen psychologically if Asuka and Shinji were to bond post canon?" fic. Told via short scenes offering glimpses of their path together throughout the years, this still stands as one of the pillars of Eva-Fanfiction. Heavy lifting indeed.
  • Dreams of a Distant God - by m3m3nt0v1v3r3 - Highly recommended! A very balanced AsuShin fic, mixing fun and Angst in a highly enjoyable way. With the main characters returning one by one, it offers a lot of surprises and thankfully doesn't take itself super seriously - which is a plus!
  • The 2nd try - by JimmyWolk - Another classic AsuShin fiction. I must admit, I've only read the post-Impact part and skipped the attached peggy sue - which still left me with a complete story. So even if you hate time-travel fix fics, this one could still be for you. In a sense this is a lighter version of Ghosts. If you want waffy glue to mend your aching heart, this one is four you! If you are still in need of sweetness and romance after having read the fic, check out the rest of the JimmyWolk Cinematic Universe, available on this forum here.
  • Scar Tissue - by deathbringer374 (Ao3 Version) - No FanFic listing is complete without the most popular DarkFic: Scar Tissue. If you want to enjoy a long, wild, emotional ride, or simply like stories were the author put a lot of himself into the story, definitely give this one a try! The story is currently undergoing rewrites.
  • The Human Equation - by jcmoorehead - Don't like dark and edgy? Try this one! A rather balanced take on AsuShin, evolving into more than just a couples struggle as a dark secret from the past rears its ugly head, and brings new enemies and harships to the cast.
  • The Catalyst - by jcmoorehead - In a way, this feels like Rebuild of The Human Equation. Same basic premise, different route to the finish line. Angst, waff, political intrigue - this one has it all!
  • The Division Bell - by jcmoorehead - It has been four years since Third Impact. Now back in Germany, Asuka Langley Soryu prepares to celebrate the birthday of the boy she nearly allowed into her heart. Another story of hurt and comfort, featuring a very optimistic take on the post-3I world.
  • Braver Than We Are - by jcmoorehead - Wait, what is Kaworu doing in my AsuShin? And why do jcmoorehead stories always come in similar pairs? This is The Division Bell, but different. (It has been five years since 3I instead of four - everything else is literally the same, down to the sentence structure. I'm kidding, of course. Give it a read!)
  • The Creative Principle - by Folk Devil - A highly creative (duh), if dark, take on the post-EoE world, rich in worldbuilding, even straying into the supernatural at points, while being centered around everybodies favourite broken pair of Pilots. Sadly discontinued, it is still highly recommended.
  • Inheritance - by Glory-To-Our-August-King - A continuation of The Creative Principle - and thankfully finished! It centers around Asuka's and Shinji's adult son and the psychological aftermath of living through the angel war. If dysfunctional families are your thing, this one is for you!
  • False Fingers, Real Bruises - by FickleByNature - Speaking of dysfunction ... this highly NSFW work explores the darker aspects of co-dependency, featuring a half-averted Third Impact and the emotionally and physically scarred Asuka and Shinji. Substance abuse, PTSD, explicit sex, insufficient mental health-care and a healthy dose of swearing is what you can expect in this offering. It get's better, though - or does it?
  • I Knew Him When ... - by Adam Kadmon - It's a Kadmon story. Everythings fucked. Can you fix it? Certainly an acquired taste, with its highs and lows from the perspective of writing quality. If you are easily distressed by psychological horror, this isn't the story you are looking for. Neither is it if you expect anything approaching happiness. Or sanity.
  • Orchestrating the Silence - by SerialRavist - Who would'a thunk, another AsuShin story! But this one has them sane and willing to change! For the better, even! If you need to wash the Kadmon taste out of your mouth, this one brings you closer to the waffiness you need.
  • After the End - by GoatofGehenna - This one is meh. It is all around unbalanced. It doesn't know if it wants to be dark and serious or just plain edgy. If you like darkness without much depth and characters preoccupied with things that shouldn't matter to them right then and there, this one is for you. Unfinished, and most like doomed to stay that way.
  • Unbroken - by Donderkind - Asuka and a comatose-but-able-to-walk Shinji are alone and winter is coming. Commits the cardinal sin of having Tokyo 3 still around, and then jumps the Peggy Sue shark. The first part is well worth the read, though. Incomplete as of now.
  • Broken Devil - by Fifth Horseman - A rather short, exposition-heavy oneshot of AsuShin some time after Third Impact, heavy into hurt/comfort.
  • When She Smiles - by Fresh C - Another classic. This time around, Asuka is truly broken. Hurt/Comfort without much comfort, but very gripping.
  • A Stroll Through My Dreams - by Campcrystallake11 - This is technically post-3I, but overall, this is mostly teenage-romance-drama. The writing is funny and varied, giving this definite entertainment value. If you are looking for a dark, serious continuation fic, this isn't it - at least until now. I haven't read it to the end, but from my current impression, this could also be a fic branching off at episode 15 or so of the TV-series.
  • Primum Revelation Evangelion - by Kain Tempest - An old fic based around AsuShin (and one common misinterpretation), but not centering on it in the usual, shippy way. Strays into some strange places, focusing heavily on the power-struggles that ensue in the post-Impact world, where the Evangelions become weapons of war. Unfinished.
  • A Throne of Bayonets - by LVDB - Warlords, dictators, and a rather unusual take on the whole post-Instrumentality world, where the pilots are nothing but tools to be used by the new leaders - a dystopian vision of what will follow Third Impact.
  • The Way Out Is Through - by Ovrboost - If you think it can't get worse, it does. When everything breaks down, you adapt or die. Sometimes you die regardless. Written by a soldier stationed in Iraq, it brings the darkest side of humanity to your living room. Hope? Fuck hope. Endurance is what counts. If you want to get depressed, this is the perfect way to do it - and if it is too painful, you can always quit.
  • A Crown Of Stars - by Panther2G - A continuation to A Throne of Bayonets, featuring a short segment that touches upon The Way Out Is Through. The Fix-Fic to make you feel happy again, featuring extra-teresstial assitance. Contains elements of Peggy Sue to achieve it. A nice fantasy to stave off the bleakness. Listed here because it does not make sense on its own.
  • You Are (Not) at Fault - by MrHalt - This one started off very promising - and then rigmaroled itself squarely into a weird mix of Star Wars references, WAFF, Shipping and ... sugar. Lots and lots of sugar. If diabetes (with a somewhat adequate dose of hurt and depth) is your thing, this is for you. Don't let my dislike of it fool you - it is certainly enjoyable and very well written, just not my type of story. A positive take on things, where things go right for once, even if not all the time.
  • EVA Sessions: Ten Year Whole- by Gob Hobblin - While this is technically AsuShin, reducing it to that is a grave disservice to this fic. Above all, it shines through its worldbuilding. Ten years after Third Impact, the Spread, grown out of the remnants of Tokyo-3, is a hub of civilization, surrounded by the wilderness that took over after civilization collapsed. Small communes of people are still out there, but every step you take is dangerous, one way or another. Asuka makes her living as a scavenger, mostly, sometimes offering assistance to the new government of the Spread. Gone is the arrogant little girl, having been changed by the harsh conditions surrounding her. She's grown into a pragmatic, resourceful woman, in what is a rare example of an author really taking his setting very seriously, not holding back on the realism - but the past won't let her go, and despite the very grounded and down to earth beginning, the supernatural forces of the Angels still pervade the universe of this story.
  • EVA Sessions: Ten Year Piece - by Gob Hobblin - A sequel to Ten Year Whole, this story picks of right where its prequel left. I really can't say anything else without spoiling something, so I won't. Sadly it is discontinued - I would love to see a conclusion to this very unique take on the post-Impact world and it's hardships and triumphs.
  • From Point A - by Fresh C - Two years after Third Impact, the old group of friends - Hikari, Toji, Kensuke, Asuka and Shinji - decide to take a roadtrip, as Asuka prepares to depart for Germany. Sounds like fun, right? Well, not with this cast of people. Mostly ignoring worldbuilding to focus entirely on the painfully accurate psychology of its cast, this will take you back to your teenage years. The verisimilitude gets outright depressing at times: A hurt/comfort fic that plants its feet firmly on the ground of adolescent reality.
  • NGE: Walking in the Shadow of Dreams - by Gregg Landsman - It's been a long time since I read this, but I remember it was very entertaining. Twelve years have passed since Thrid Impact, and Gendo Ikari came up with another plan. His goals? Mysterious! A rather fun and light fix-fic (of sorts), finding the right mix of heavy topics and humor to give a nice and soothing vision of the future of the characters.
  • Hopes and Heroes - by Verbl Kint 187 - And we are back to to sad stories! This is an old fic from 2002 and rather short, and I am glad that I found it again, as it as a pretty unique ending. It's AsuShin, of course - what else can it be, beginning at the beach? He never promised her a rose garden, but she got one anyway.
  • Costumes & Games - by Strypgia - If you read the story above and did not like it, this is the exact opposite! Another short entry, and a sweet (and sometimes steamy <.<) one. For some reason, until the very end, I was expecting a turn for the worse. But it just didn't come. It's waff through and through! Oh, and this is AsuShin, of course - finding happiness with each other. And a few other things. ;)
  • The Lighthouse - by Verbl Kint 187 - Years after Third Impact, a lot of things have changed. Others haven't. New wars broke out, so the Pilots have to continue fighting - against humans, this time around. That takes its toll on their psyche, which they try to combat by any means available too them. Meanwhile, Kensuke is an aspiring journalist. Estranged from his old friends, he tries to get closer to the truth, but the truth is, and always was, dangerous. This is a pretty dark fic, and what's even worse, it's incomplete. Still, if you want to read something that tries to paint a realistic picture of the Post-Impact world, maybe because you need inspiration, this is still worthy a read.
  • Futures Freak Me Out - by hidinginplainsight - After Third Impact, Asuka and Shinji are college students, trying to figure out what they want, struggling with the fallout of the Angel war. A rather dark, albeit realistic take on their characters, focused squarely on their inner struggles. It might feel a little too slice-of-live for some, but it is still worth a read if you like Angst and Romance.
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion: War - by Hidranick - The author said it best: In the wake of Third Impact, Shinji Ikari must struggle with his guilt, despair, and the relationships of those around him. Edit: Back up in its original form. Incomplete and abandoned! For the rewrite, look below!
  • The Sound of Cicadas - by Hidranick - Following the same basic outline as the story above, this one promises a more mature and serious take on the premise. The writing is much improved compared to War, and with the prologue already hinting at a timeskip, new possibilities open up. It looks like it will become a relatively dark Post-EoE-fic trying to stay true to canon and its themes. Unfinished as of now, with only two chapters released. Check it out!
Category: Post Q/Rebuild 3.33

• Afterwards... - by pwhodges - This post-Q fiction is in a sense the counterpart to Ghosts above. A very mature take on how life could evolve for Shinji down the road. Recommended for people who like stories of recovery and self-betterment, of coming to terms and of letting go.
  • Hand Cannot Erase and You Must (Not) Run Away - by jcmoorehead - He does post-Q, as well! Beginning where the movie left off, it details the journey of the three Pilots back to the Wunder, while the sequel explores the world further after they arrived there. It's been too long since I've read it to give a witty teaser - so go read it yourself!
  • Reticence - by Kraven Ergeist - "After narrowly avoiding Fourth Impact, Asuka is left to wander back to the last remnants of humanity on foot, dragging an unwilling Shinji and an unwitting Rei along with her. Shinji slowly comes to terms with Kaworu's death, Rei tries to understand what she used to be in her past life, and Asuka does whatever she can to stay alive for just another day." Well, that sounds alright - I wouldn't know, haven't read it. :bigeyes:
Last edited by Derantor on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 am, edited 17 times in total.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: The Highly Incomplete Encyclopedia of Fanfictions

•      
  •      

Category: NGE Canon Divergence/Expansion

• Crying Man - by Reichu - What if Misato's father was named Akira? What if he also struggled with depression? What if his research is necessary to initiate Second Impact on top of that? What if that clashes with his family obligations? Well, if you want to find out, read this. Seriously, do. A sadly unfinished work detailing the time just before Second Impact, treading on mostly unexplored ground while staying true to the deeply psychological nature of NGE. One of the most interesting FanFictions to be produced by the Eva fandom.
  • Father Brother Lover Mother - by Reichu - Fifteen years have passed since Crying Man. Misato has failed: Asuka is suicidal, Shinji more withdrawn than ever, Kaji is gone, she still does not know the truth - and a new, strange pilot just entered the playing field, reminding her of things that she would rather not be reminded of, sending her onto a journey towards salvation - or the end of mankind. Time is running out, choices have to be made, in an effort to light a path into the darkness of the future. An alternate take on Episode 24, featuring another deep-dive into uncomfortable human drives. As of now unfinished, but still on its journey towards completion.
  • Evangelion - Genocide - by Rommel - Well, what can I say. Probably one of the most well recieved and best written Evangelion fanfictions. Diverges off canon right at the Hospital Scene of EoE. A description is unnecessary. Just read it, and, if you are an aspiring writer, despair. In any other case, just revel in the glory that is this work of art.
  • Evangelion - Advice and Trust - by Strypgia (aka Panther2G) - Another one of the big fan-fictions - and one I overlooked for far too long. I've only read excerpts, as it is a whopping 372k words (and climbling, which is quite impressive, given that it was first published on FFN in 2014), so I'll let the author describe it in his own words: "Shinji takes just the slightest different action when Asuka offers a kiss... and everything changes. Suddenly, they're no longer alone, and begin becoming stronger than they've ever been before. And from their new bond changes start to ripple out. The Angel War and the plans of SEELE and NERV will never be the same." If you are looking for romance, the occasional drama, and a pretty vivid and fun writing style, this one is for you!
  • The Laserdisc Chronicles and The Blue-Ray Chronicles - by BG_Character_592 - Technically AU, I list them here because they are offshoots of Advice and Trust. Shinji finds a recording of NGE and EoE - and the cast decides to sit down and watch it, while their own story unfolds in parallel. Pretty entertaining, sometimes a little sad.
  • Amarantos - by Glory-To-Our-August-King - Another great (and as of yet unfinished but not abandoned) work by the writer of Inheritance. Diverges of Canon shortly after Yui's death. Shinji, at the age of four, gets send to Germany by his father, where he lives the early part of his life in the company of an often indecipherable girl named Asuka. Life is strange and not quite happy for Shinji Ikari - but it becomes even stranger when he is informed that he is to become a pilot. Of what, he doesn't know. Read along as Shinji, slightly changed by his different upbringing, struggles with he hardships of the Angel War. Highly recommended "what if", with great writing and incredible attention to detail!
  • Defence in Depth - by grommile - Synching is great - unless you happen to synch yourself to your fellow pilot. Diverging after Episode 8, Asuka finds herself a little too much in tune with Shinji, while Rei is able to offer insight. A fun read featuring this rather unique hook.
  • Neon Genesis Pandaimonion - by grommile - This reads like a companion piece to Defence in Depth - only that its crack humor. A much needed infusion of fun into the otherwise far too serious world of Eva. Definitely not safe for work. Unless you work in a brothel.
  • Heart Catcher - by Adam Kadmon - Asuka wants a plushy. Yes, that's the plot. Taking place sometimes during the series, before everything went to hell, this is a sweet but not saccharine take on things.
  • Obligatory Obligation - by Adam Kadmon - It's valentines day - another one of those stupid traditions Asuka hates. Shinji is making chocolate hearts for everybody, because Misato still can't cook anything edible - the fool is letting himself get used again. Not that she cares in the slightest. Baka.
  • Love is Constructive - by Adam Kadmon - This is horror/humor - or horrible humor, as the author avouches - and I find it hilarious. Asuka finds herself in the miserable position of having fallen in love with Shinji. Faced with an inability to change that reality, she instead decides to commit fully. Has shades of Monty Python - read this to brighten up your day!
  • Witness - by Adam Kadmon - Asuka witnesses something she would rather not have seen at all - ever. So she takes on the task of fixing it. Managing to hit her internal voice exactly, this fic is dark and depraved, but wickedly funny in parts and thoroughly entertaining. Prepare for a roller-coaster of emotions tumbling down, in this surprisingly nuanced story. It's still dark as hell, though.
  • Witness - by Adam Kadmon - What, another witness? Yes, indeed! Far longer, this older version of the story pulls no punches in its assault on Shinji, again being told from the perspective of Asuka. Save for some over-the-top passages, it is a neat piece of character work. Depraved, jaded and bitter characters, but characters nonetheless. I thoroughly enjoyed this alternative take on the events leading up to a somewhat different Third Impact. This is my kind of waff. Daff? I don't even know anymore ...
  • Asuka's Project - by Fuyutsuki - Asuka is fed up with little boys and stupid children. She is an adult, for christ's sake! But there's one manly man out there worthy of her attention who can see her as an equal without degrading her in the process. A dashing hunk of a man, a rougish trickster, too cool to be on this world - Gendo Ikari. Make of that what you will.
  • In the case of Asuka Langley Soryu - by Da Games Elite - You know what Evangelion is missing? Therapy! So everybody gets some. I guess Asuka is the focus because she would be the one most resistant to change, but Rei and Shinji are involved as well. Starts before Leliel's attack and takes things from there.
  • Father - by Lord Talon - You know what else Evangelion is missing? Motorcycle riding, mansplaining, fistfighting Uber-Shinji becoming a man over night because Asuka got drunk at a party and is now pregnant with somebody elses child, which makes her devolve into a sobbing puddle of distressed, weak, highly dependent damsel. This fiction takes itself completely seriously - and ends up being one of the best unintentional comedies I've ever come across. Too much for me to stomach, in the end. What makes this entertaining is that there isn't a hint of mallice in the writing - this isn't some piece of MRA hate-fic, it is pure, naive and innocent morals of the 1950s. Or the 1850s. Who knows. A classic in its own right.
  • Evangelion: Time of new Hymns - by Blockio - A retelling of Evangelion, striving to include every single character from every single official release, including spin-offs. Only three chapters up, but there is more to come!
  • The Foregone Conclusion - by The Mustachioed Cat - This one starts off as a normal "What if the Angels just keep coming?" fic, and then ... things happen. I really can't describe it. I think I still don't understand what is going on. It is still very gripping!
  • Uncommon Law - by Random1377 - More cliches and overused plots. Boring and tiresome and painfully unoriginal. I'd recommend a good CosmoTeen over this fic, or maybe a gum wrapper. Well, that's what the author has to say about this. I for one find the prospect of Asuka being married by default to Shinji after living with him for six month to be hilarious. Another rather comedic fic to lighten up your day!
  • Deus ex Evangelion - by ValikVicious - Branching off at the point of Asuka's arrival in Japan, this is one wild ride of a fic. The gist of it: Shinji gets absorbed by Unit 01, which is then piloted by Asuka, with Toji taking over Shinji's role and Rei moving in with Asuka. The kicker: Shinji is still alive as a disembodied blue floating orb-thingy, and becomes vitriolic best buds with Asuka - hilarity ensues. Not sure if this is crackfic, but it definitely made me crack up! :thumbsup:
  • Rolling Blackouts - by hidinginplainsight - I don't know exactly when this diverges from canon. Another AsuShin story (duh), and one that begins as a pretty standard teenage romance/drama. Then it becomes really interesting! At least for me. It's not exactly waffy; a rather angsty take, to be sure. Still, well worth the read if you need your daily fix. If you like the author, also check out "Futures Freak Me Out" by the same writer! Just beware that Chapter 7 is most likely an Omake, and not part of the story proper. At least that's the way I prefer to view it.
Category: NTE Canon Divergence/Expansion

• Must I Spell It Out For You? - by BoreasAnemos - The first straight up Lemon on the list! Well, in essence it is a character study with light BDSM - which is, as it turns out, the cure for everything. Shikanami/Shinji pairing, obviously. Soryu would have thing or two to say about the premise ... Still ongoing.
  • Smoke Drawn Dreams - by Xairathan - The second part of a series of works (check the collection on Ao3 for yourself if you want the full story), this explores the time period between Ha and Q, from the point of Asuka who wakes up in a coffin and has to realize that, suddenly, she isn't really human anymore. A rather short entry at only ~9000 words. (Also, Shinji is not (romantically) involved this time around - it's Rei, of all people. I'll leave it up to you whether that's a nice change of pace or your worst nightmare. ;))
  • Victory - by Glory-To-Our-August-King - A pretty short story, built around a simple question: what if Misato did pull the trigger? Worth a read if you want to know the price of victory!
Last edited by Derantor on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Category: NGE Alternative Universe/Crossover

• Strategic Cyborg Evangelion - by amitakartok - Starting off this sections comes this extensive story, which has been on my "To Read" list for a very long time. Rather than trying to tease it, please have a look at the forum thread! It promises a slow-burning, story rich experience, and is slated to be only the first in a series of works! The writing style certainly is pretty unique for FanFiction, reminding me more of an actual novel than a fan work - which is a big plus!
  • Tengen Toppa WARK-angelion - by UrsusArctos - This is delicious crack! I haven't seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, but that's okay, Shinji hasn't either - doesn't stop him from shooting the shit with PenPen and everybody else, including the fourth wall. (That WARK sounds like it has something to do with Warhammer 40k, but it doesn't (well not until now (not that it stops the fic from being utterly silly (which is a good thing - reminds me a little of a Monty Python sketch ("Shinji, YOU'RE FIRED!" - "Okay Shinji, you're hired!"))))) Eh - what was I saying again?
  • Evangelion: The Hangover - by Strypgia - This is exactly what it sounds like. From the author's description: "Summer, 2021. Shinji wakes up in bed in Las Vegas. Lying next to him is Asuka... And Rei. And Kaworu. And they've all got matching rings. They're all naked. There's a polar bear in the bathtub. Everyone has a hangover and no memories of last night. Including the bear. Life just got stranger." Whelp. I sure hope the bear's temper isn't as bad as Asuka's. :uhh:
  • Birthday Candles - by Strypgia - And another one! This one is different in that Shinji learns of SEELE's plans and his father's issues early, and decides that it is better to have never loved than having loved and lost. After he saved the world, things aren't quite the happy ending everybody was hoping for, since his much more active rejection of any relationship or attachment at all caused a few scars in itself, especially for a certain redhead. Over the course of four birthdays, he tries to course correct. A much less waffy take by Strypgia this time around. I won't tell you if Shinji succeeds - you'll have to read it yourself!
  • Aeon Natum Engel - by EarthSkorpion - Evangelion meets Cthulutech - and why not? Merging cosmic horror with more cosmic horror doesn't seem like a bad idea now, does it? Well, I wouldn't know, as I haven't read it, but from what I've seen, this is a notch above the rest in terms of writing quality. I would bet my - scratch that, not betting anything. I'm pretty sure that this will turn pretty dark. I should also note that there is a rewrite: Aeon Entelechy Evangelion, which the author is mor satisfied with.
Last edited by Derantor on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:36 am

Placeholder

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:36 am

Placeholder

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:39 am

This is a commendable initiative. I'll spread it a little.

Strypgia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Strypgia » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:53 pm

No Advice & Trust?
Getting blown up is less fun than it sounds like. So I wrote Evangelion WAFF: Advice and Trust And now more: A Crown Of Stars
"Speaking of game material, thanks for indirectly reminding me to check the progress on that moe genderbent Hitler dating sim." --Arkalest
"Dabuhbahgahnehvuh!" --Aleph, 18MAY14 "I am a very charming soup" -- LordSquishy, 23FEB15
"If my grandma is stalking me through a forest I'll stop doing peyote." -- Shinanobi, 31AUG14

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm

I mean, the thread is called "highly incomplete"; any help in making it less incomplete is greatly appreciated
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:30 am

Yes, exactly! These are all fics I've read (with one or two exception), so that I can give a short description. If you want something included, just PM me or post in in the recommendations thread (or here, but that would make the aforementioned thread rather pointless), with a short description/teaser, an I'll include it when I have the time. I could do a simple listing of all fics I find, but that would be no better than the unordered lists of AO3 and FFN. I also try to read what I get recommended, but I can't promise to go through everything due to the length of some fics.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:35 pm

Aeon Natum Engel. It's downright my favorite work of fiction ever including big literature classics. It is my dream to be a tenth as good of a sci fi writer one day
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 pm

Two authors I used to really like, which are kinda forgotten:

Red Horseman is one of the formerly well-known authors from the late 00s fandom. I still wonder if he's also Fifth Horseman.:

The Game follows an older Asuka and Shinji (20-ish), and like most fics like this, this is a darker one and they have a very dysfunctional, though non-romantic relationship. They've been running from Seele's assassins for years, and are now those Jason Bourne-like runaways. Quite cool.

Phoenix Rising is a rather dark character drama, with Asuka waking up many years later from her coma in Episode 24, with Shinji having won the war on his own - or something, I don't really remember. She slowly readjusts to the new reality, her new body, to the ghosts of her old friendships, and a world without Eva, in which she isn't such hot shit anymore. It also turns into a lemon in the last 10% of it. Fairly long besides that.

Hououza Very expressive author, though his scenarios aren't unusual he managed to transcend them with buttery smooth writing and minimalistic, but effective characterization. I recommend:

No

One Night Stand

Commander Ikari

BardInTheForest is another excelent writer with fantastic, deep characterization. I recommend all of his stuff.

Cosmonaut by shelter is a short one, about Rei living in a post-3I world, taking care of a disabled, senile, invalid Gendo Ikari, trying to understand her existence. It's one of those "show don't tell" ones. Delightful.

Taking Sights by Lavanya Six is a Peggy Sue fic with the notable difference that this time around it's Gendo that goes back in time to fix things. Except they get messy, with this being Gendo. Very.

Propinquity and its sequel A Butterfly on the Wheel, by Unbroken author Donderkind are also a great example of fun A/S characterization.

Veering Left is fairly standard, but it's quite popular now, at a cool 300+ reviews.

LVDB's Compromises and particularly Lavanya Six's Better Luck Next Time are "fun" one-shots that deconstruct the Peggy Sue scenarion. I made my first post on the forums about them.

What you might not know, folks, is that there are still tons of Evangelion fics that were lost to the sands of time, in some older dedicated websites that are mostly defunct.

Besides FFN, Lemontastica is also a resource for many older fics, though its specializes in Lemons (i.e. porn). Of course, it's mostly terrible, but it includes some real gems, and if nothing else the sheer morbid curiosity of reading some poorly written old fics might be enough. It even links to the authors' in some sort of ancient social media, something called an "e-mail". Weird.

I've sents its Web Archive link, as well as for Phoenix Rising, though perhaps it will get revived someday: thread/18921/Lemontastica-is-down/

It's worth mentioning that CW Smith has been trying to revive Evafics, Fanbards and the other old Eva fanfiction sites for a while. I'll post his Discord server here, if y'all don't mind: https://discord.gg/ZRHJSvx

There are also a lot of classics that all have or had their own sites. They're not necessarily good, but were huge one day. We're talking about pre-FFN days, so the standard was quite low, but they're nonetheless very essential. This includes:

EVA-R was a "script fic" that was a veritable multi-media project. In 2006. It famously included Tiffany Grant voicing over Asuka in their trailer, rendered in glorious 2006 CGI. It still includes a download link for Internet Explorer 6.

http://www.eva-r.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPaugw-6NK0

The Child of Love is probably the biggest old classic, from 1999. It's like a pre-2nd Try, with A/S' adorable child, Teri (I think?). For a while, this fic was so popular, it was kind of the benchmark for the pilots having children.

http://leviathanltd.tripod.com/id45.htm

HERZ is similar, with a grown-up Shinji commanding Nerv together with Asuka and a complete older Eva cast. Also had its own site and dedicated fanart, also around 1999.

http://web.archive.org/web/200503200853 ... /HERZ.html HERZ

A lot of these older fics are fortunately also listed on TVTropes' Fanfiction Recommendations.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll integrate them into the listing once I get through them/skim them. There's also the FanFic-recommendations thread still around, which might be the better place recommend stuff. I don't want to steal its glory. :bigeyes:

Forget that, that's a lot of great recommendations, Felipe! Thanks a lot for putting in the effort!

athropos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby athropos » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm

I could remember old but quite amusing Cthulhu mythos crossover "Children of Elder God" by J.Biles? Prolonged dream sequences, some unconventional angel design and unwilling Rebuild spoilers (NERV airship-HQ, angelic infestation/posession )

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:52 pm

"Coming of the First Ones" anyone?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:52 am

View Original Postathropos wrote:I could remember old but quite amusing Cthulhu mythos crossover "Children of Elder God" by J.Biles? Prolonged dream sequences, some unconventional angel design and unwilling Rebuild spoilers (NERV airship-HQ, angelic infestation/posession )

That's listed here in the fanfiction section https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/FanWorks/NeonGenesisEvangelion
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

bucky699
Embryo

Re: The Highly Incomplete And Inofficial Encyclopedia of Fanfictions

•      
  •      

Postby bucky699 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:02 am

Hi guys, first poster here joined just so i could commend you on this post. I read many many great Evafics back in the day and for the life of me cant rememeber the names or authors of most of them. Already found a couple thanks to this post so cheers. After watching the end of the Reboot movies 3.0+1.0 last night i been feeling a bit depressed over the changes and well remember so many fanfics that did it better lol.

To be honest im searching for one in particular but for the life of me cannot remember its name, it was one of my favorites hoping somone might know the name of it here. I will give a breif rundown of what i remember about it to see if it sparks recogntion from anyone here.

It starts on the beach of the LCL sea after Shinji rejects instrumentality so original EoE, Shinji is super depressed and Asuaka is her usual bitchy self. The search for other survivours but find nothing but remains of peoples clothing. It's a slow story unfolding over about 5 or so large chapters, Shinji starts seeing ghost Rei and she tries to help him through the trauma of killing the world. They take up residence in an old style Inn and Asuka thinks Shinji might be suicidal as she finds a gun he took from a military convoy they come across. She also starts seeing Kaurou, who tries to help her understand Shinji better. It culminates eventually to them forgiving themselves and learning to live together and even grow to be friends. Eventually they travel back to the LCL sea to say goobye but in an effort to save everyone Shinji goes back in, there he provides hope to all but gets stuck himself, people start comming back but Asuaka gets upset that he leaft her behind and refuses to leave until he comes back. Eventually Asuaka herself chooses to re-enter the LCL in order to retrieves Shinji. THings work out they both come back out and it pretty much ends in them sharing their first kiss as a couple.

Whhoooo that was a long one. Anyways its one of my all time favorites i used to have them all saved and backed up on an old laptop but its all lost now to the ages of time. I might add this fanfiction is pretty old like probably early 2000s. I used to be a writer myself back then, nothing big a few fics on fanfiction.net under the name Bucky1 but yea, life moves on. However like i said the latest movie has me wanting to go back and relive some of the greats and would really love it if someone could help me find this fanfiction or even just the name of it or Author.

bucky699
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby bucky699 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:36 am

Double post, after hours of searching i FOUND it, its Neon Genesis Evangelion: Renaissance by Ryoma

If you have not read this i HIGHLY recommend, its a great story

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:05 pm

I haven't posted on here for a while but then I saw this thread.

Have you read The Blue Rose?. I'm curious how you'd categorize this within the encyclopaedia you're gathering.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Return to “Fanfiction”