Episode 14

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

Episode 14

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:39 am

Probably a weird question but looking back on episode 14 the firs half of it seemed to be recaps of previous episodes, when we look to the second half they use a whole lot of still images and recycled materials unit 00 going beserk uses much of the same animations but differently colored the added scenes of the inside of the control seemed to have been made of a lower quality. Eva punching the glas with Rei in front yust had gendo removed and they added a still image of Rei, the head banging scene could have been a deleted scene (episode 5).

Animation wise why was this done? Did the episode lack a budget for some reason?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Episode 14

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:15 am

Typically an animated show in Japan would have an episode like that around the middle of the series back in the day. This would give animators a break, since the production schedule usually required them to work on production non-stop, finishing episodes mere days (or sometimes even hours!) before the premiere of that episode on television. (It's basically a form of constant crunch time.) This break resulted in an episode that would be made mostly out of reused animation, generally used as a recap episode, while not really adding much to the story overall. I'm sure a week off helped many animators reorganize themselves before jumping headlong into that kind of production again for Episode 15 and onwards.

I am not privy enough with current animation workflows to know why (or even whether or not) those kind of episodes aren't made anymore. I'd like to think it's because animation has become a less punishing industry since the 90's, but many reports from Japan seem to indicate that the workflow is still mostly the same, with less punishing animation studios being few and far between. I know Studio Khara (the Evangelion director's current studio) has been unofficially reported to pay a more than most other animation studios, at least, and that many employees are happy with the workflow. (But I can't usually read signs of present stress or mental health in the politeness that's all over that country, so who knows?) Kyoto Animation was another animation studio known for better work practices before some deranged maniac burned it to the ground.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:51 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Typically an animated show in Japan would have an episode like that around the middle of the series back in the day. This would give animators a break, since the production schedule usually required them to work on production non-stop

Such episodes would generally air around New Year's, too. One example being Episode 14's air date: https://wiki.evageeks.org/Episode_14
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:08 pm

well thank you for the explenation I'm glad it was not because of budgetairy constrains.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”