Rei Is Best Waifu

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:58 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Yeah, Mari is a big question mark right now because we just don't know much about her. We might get more on her in 3.0 + 1.0, but who knows.


she has a fun chapter in the manga, in their she is roughly Yui's age and the glasses she wears are Yui's, Yui reminds here that it's super bad for her eye sight as they are not her subscription. She is also either a lesbian or a bisexual or somethings who knows in political correct terms... They make that list to long but she is horny for Yui.

So be careful with what you wish for she might be older then you expect like in 33 in 2015 and I tought their was a time skip in rebuild

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 211
Joined: Jan 13, 2019
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Melkor » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:00 pm

Isn't that manga chapter considered non-canon though? The author said it was something they put in there just for fun and not to take it too seriously. Anno isn't really beholden to having to follow that manga chapter when it comes to the story of the Rebuilds. He might decide to do something else with Mari's origin in the Rebuilds than what Sadamoto did in the manga. In the Rebuilds, rather than being Mari, it might be changed to it being her mom instead that was classmates with Yui in college, hence why that woman who looks like a mix of both Asuka and Mari (presumably their mother) is in that photo with Yui in 3.0.

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:54 pm

honnestly I haven't seen rebuild I'm waiting for a box with all 4 movies that will hopefully come out soon. I'm not sold on Mari as she was not in the Original but I'm going to give it a try. Best case I watch the entire series 1 or 2 times then rebuild is released and I watch that if not I will watch a other series for a while. Maybe by then I know WTF i'm talking abouth. I don't believe rebuild is on netflix either

If they added a for fun chapter I would have enyoyed a alternative universe scene with the main cast. Perhaps have a chapter where Gendo and Yui are hapily married, Perhaps in the previous chapter a child version of Rei ask her mother (a adult version of Rei) what the statues are. Rei is the only character that apears to have died during the third impact all the rest can return. And because she houses the soul of lilith that is disturbing perhaps have a random explination that lilith is back being lilith and souls can still be born. And this Time Rei has actualy be borne eventough her mother is also Rei(adult) as it would make the most sence.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith
Age: 23
Posts: 137
Joined: May 01, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hopelessromantic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:36 pm

I’m still on board with Rei.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 2658
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:57 pm

I'm well aware that it's not adding anything of value to this conversation, so I will keep it at this one post and ignore the thread henceforth;

I just want to say that I am firmly sick of the whole waifu debate in general, and in the case of Eva in particular, because idolizing any character from it into a waifu/husbando figure firmly misses the point the show is trying to make, and any debate with that as its premise is bound to go nowhere by its very nature

[/salt]
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 2893
Joined: Feb 03, 2013
Location: Spain or Germany
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:21 pm

To be fair, it is in chit chat.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Hopelessromantic
Lilith
Age: 23
Posts: 137
Joined: May 01, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hopelessromantic » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:57 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'm well aware that it's not adding anything of value to this conversation, so I will keep it at this one post and ignore the thread henceforth;

I just want to say that I am firmly sick of the whole waifu debate in general, and in the case of Eva in particular, because idolizing any character from it into a waifu/husbando figure firmly misses the point the show is trying to make, and any debate with that as its premise is bound to go nowhere by its very nature

[/salt]



When I say Rei is best waifu, I’d like to reiterate that my intentions are not idolization. I’m stating that in my personal opinion, Rei is more emotionally stable than Asuka.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:33 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I'm well aware that it's not adding anything of value to this conversation, so I will keep it at this one post and ignore the thread henceforth;

I just want to say that I am firmly sick of the whole waifu debate in general, and in the case of Eva in particular, because idolizing any character from it into a waifu/husbando figure firmly misses the point the show is trying to make, and any debate with that as its premise is bound to go nowhere by its very nature

[/salt]

Honnestly I googled Waifu and I'm still not sure what it means.
For my part I discussed What I believe would fix some of the pilots mental issues (none of them involve F**ing each other or marriage). It's more on what their issues are how their relations should be (none romantic).What could improve their lives (mostly hobby's).

A short example: Shinji seems to like the idea of people in a semi circle around him giving him a applause. He should definitly join a band of sorts, his Cello is half decent for a 14 year old, giving his instrument of choise a Quartet would seem most likely. This alone would not fix Shinji but improve him somewhat.
other examples for Shinji and the other pilots can be found in the thread

IgRAzm
Adam
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 79
Joined: May 22, 2020
Location: Russian Federation
Gender: Male

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby IgRAzm » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:19 am

It's an odd topic and discussion in what it has pretty much nothing to do with waifus... I'm pretty sure it means an object of a crush and adoration by the weeb-viewer. Words having multiple meanings is a theme of this topic, I suppose.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 9625
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:48 pm

*walks up to podium* Thank you all for coming to my TED Talk; today I will be discussing why Maya Ibuki is the best waifu.

1. Look at her face. Do you really wanna break that heart and tell her she's not the best Waifu? You really wanna make that face cry?
If so, you're a heartless bastard.

"But Freaky," I hear you say, "she's clearly a lesbian. You're a dude. That's not how any of this works!"

Well, that leads me to my second point...

2. She doesn't have to be my Waifu in order to be the best Waifu.
I mean, seriously compare how respectful she is around Ritsuko with any of the other women or girls in Eva around their significant others. Misato always gives off a careless vibe, Asuka's mad all the time, Rei just doesn't know what to do with emotions, Ritsuko's too busy to notice that she's be better off with Maya than Gendo, and Naoko, Yui, and Kyoko all kill children.

Maya, on the other hand, always stays a cordial two paces behind Ritsuko at all times when they walk together throughout Nerv (as every proper wife should), she praises Ritsuko every chance she can get, and even disagreements with her are stated respectfully yet honestly. She always seeks the moral implications of her work, and earnestly wants to build a safer place for humanity. She's the purest person in the entire series, and the moment she breaks in End of Evangelion is the moment the franchise leaps headlong into utter despair and doesn't cut back to anything friendly ever again.

Maya is best Waifu.
PM me if you want specific spoilers for Shin Eva 3.0+1.0, but don't want the whole movie spoiled for you!

Live-Action Lofi Hip Hop Radio beats to relax/study to

[Twitter] [YouTube] [Twitch]

Hopelessromantic
Lilith
Age: 23
Posts: 137
Joined: May 01, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Personally, I’m just confused and frustrated by the whole, “Asuka is best waifu! Asuka is best girl.” It gives me the impression that I have to like her to be a part of the Evangelion bandwagon. And people say Shinji is just a brat, meanwhile I could make the same argument that Asuka is a brat as well! Give me a break! I’m not saying she’s inherently a bad person, I just dislike her.

To be perfectly honest, the only person in Evangelion who I dislike the least and favor above the rest is Rei. If you think about it, Rei had no parental figures, she wasn’t born of mother, and she’s just a clone. She didn’t have the privilege of having a family. She is constantly questioning the quintessence of her existence, wondering if this life is a lie if she could just be replaced. And the fact that she still stood strong, and was willing to put her life on the line for humanity makes her a true soldier, a person who I would truly admire.

Asuka May be best girl, but she’s not the girl for me.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:*walks up to podium* Thank you all for coming to my TED Talk; today I will be discussing why Maya Ibuki is the best waifu.


Maya is definitly underused
If it was my choise I would have given Maya a more prominent role especialy in episode 13 the episode with ireul (the virus angel) where she takes most of the lines of Misato. Inside the Magi she asks if she can use a old notebook of Naoko and MAGI approves, Ritsuko signs it for her. Some lines could be called double entendres

During the wedding ceremony she is present with Makoto, it is clear Makoto tries to hitch her up with Kaji (so he can have Misato). By the end of the evening she is pretty drunk and has a short conversation with ritsuko when Gendo intervenes (and in his eyes saves ritsuke) and invite her for a dance. With some form of freudian trio Maya being the id gendo the super ego and ritsuko the ego. Gendo has a brief psychological observation, with ritsuko not really responding he wispers something to her and they both start laughing, perhaps Ritsuke says liar. (Maya wonders what Gendo said, she believes they are laughing with her)
(more portrayels would definitly mean she get's hurt more in eva).

The first half of episode 14 can be scraped entirly so I have episode 14 start first Shinji doing a crosscompatibility test with unit 00 then Shinji is home and Asuka returns complaining that her test was useless and it was getting late. Rei in unit 01 doing her poem whilst we see Shinji go to school mid episode he visits Rei with the papers her test took alnight and the manga scene of Rei burning her hand happens. Meanwhile episodes 15 scene of Kaji investigating MARDUK and and Misato's dress get's discussed.(freeing up space in episode 15 for extra scenes). Also Makoto asks Maya if she want's to join her to the wedding. Kaji's scene takes 1min 25 seconds the wedding dress scene takes 40 seconds make it 50 with the added content
(cutting the first half of the episode saves 10M30 (intro song 1M30 to 12M00 weaving a story. Minus the Kaji scene and wedding dress scene Rei burning her hand (making tea) scene (from the manga) might last 8 minutes. This is pretty long Perhaps if the wedding date from the kids perspective can happen in this episode aswel (Asuka's date and Shinji playing Cello). Having Shinji and Asuka kiss would not work out well I believe if it could happen in a previous episode perhaps 13. Or skip the handburning scene and have Shinji use those 8minutes of screentime to call Rei like a mother (whilst cleaning) ask advice on what to talk abouth with his dad do have the Shinji/Asuka kiss scene that ends like the orginal.(normaly in episode 15)
Basicly first half of Episode 14 can be thrown away it starts with the second half (episode 14) followed by the first half of Episode 15.
Then the true episode 15 has much more time for the wedding and the added Rei manga scene. Maya get's more screentime Gendo is portraited as a advasairy but still in a pretty positive light.

View Original PostHopelessromantic wrote: she wasn’t born of mother, and she’s just a clone.

I do wonder I don't believe it is outright stated what do they mean she is a clone. She is made of Yui's remains yes but is she a clone of Yui or is she a clone in the sence that their are dozens of copies of her?
Is it stated that she is a copy of Yui? Or is she simply build out of Yui's remains?
Rei can still be a clone of herselfs and be less of a clone of Yui, also with both having a different soul and the inportance of a soul in evangelion wouldn't a twin be more correct as the body without a soul is non sentient
Last edited by orcot on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith
Age: 23
Posts: 137
Joined: May 01, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hopelessromantic » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:03 am

I’m not implying that I hate Asuka as a person, as she has been through a lot of trauma built up through the years. I do however am quite discontent with the choices she makes and the way she acts. That being said, it would be really hard for me to associate myself with her or anyone like her, especially if I were to help a person like herself out and every outcome would be the same. There are sadly some people in this world who really are basket cases, and can help none other but themselves.

To me, it’s easier to associate myself with Rei, as sometimes I’ve questioned the very fabric of my own existence. Sometimes I’ve thought my life is meaningless, and that fate is working against me. But there’s a trait I have that I applaud myself for: resilience. Rei Ayanami, despite having been told her life is basically a lie, continues to fight. I can associate myself with a person like that more easily.

You know what I’d like to see? Fan art of the Evangelion cast acting as The Breakfast Club.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Hopelessromantic
Lilith
Age: 23
Posts: 137
Joined: May 01, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Now that I think about it, as shortlived as their relationship was, Shinji and Kaworu seem to be an ideal ship. Some people might say their relationship is “too good to be true” given Kaworu’s background. The way I see it, it might have started out like that, but as time progressed it became more genuine. Shinji, being in his predicament is nervous around women. At his age, I wouldn’t blame him. During adolescence, you start to question your own sexuality, so it makes sense that he would feel more comfortable around an individual of his own supposed gender.

It’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 2658
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:12 am

The problem isn't just that it's "too good to be true", if you look at it from a neutral standpoint it's also very much exploitative and downright creepy
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 222
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Shinji and kaworu did not spend enough time together to be anything together.


… I've recently watched episode 25
And I found it confusing, abouth 3/4 in the episode they start analizing Misato and how she is "afraid to sleep alone".
In her dream image makoto (hyuga) who had been chacing Misato for the entire series says the line "That's why you'll be with anyone, it doesn't matter who". That's a weird line to say for someone who never slept with her, eventough they've could have easly worked it in there.

It also tries to kinkshame people who call their boyfriends "daddy" and makes having a boyfriend with the same surname as your dad awkward in stead of funny. Honestly Misato's daddy issues of both loving and hating her dad and being both attracted and repuseld by boyfriends reminding her of her dad are pretty benign.
I believe it would have been more fruitful in her reasoning of adopting 2 children and her inability to properly halp/communicate with them. Both being mentally damaged when she could not provide proper help, abouth joining instrumentality is embarrassing to her as she prefers to keep certain things/toughts private but would have loved to better connect with the children. This would have been in character and better fit the human instrumentallity project.

But maybe it would make Shinji's breaktrough less potent, as it would come afther Misato made a to similar decision

(edited on popular demand hope it's easier to read now)
Last edited by orcot on Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 640
Joined: Oct 20, 2019
Location: The Beach
Gender: Male

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Derantor » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Because the people in EoTV Instrumentality are for the most part not the characters from the show but the representation of said characters in the mind of the person currently examined. They are talking to themselves, basically, with the other characters speaking out loud the accusations they level at themselves. Misato also slutshames herself, even though there is no indication that she is actually sleeping around, or has slept with any man besides Kaji.

(Also, I don't want to be rude, but could you try to improve your punctuation? Your posts are hard to read because of it.)

Hopelessromantic
Lilith
Age: 23
Posts: 137
Joined: May 01, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hopelessromantic » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:52 pm

Now that I look back on it, this post I made was in response to how easier it was to tolerate Rei’s behavior over Asuka’s. Sure she may be more tolerant but does that make her a better character? It depends.

The fact I stated “Rei is best waifu” is very hypocritical of me, I understand now.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 6562
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 am

Now that this "Asuka is for the masochists & Misato is for inwardly immature ppl" interview has recently been translated we can hopefully stop pretending that any of them is supposed to be the "right", designated sane person response. (Except, idk, Hikari and Sakura?)

No human is perfect so it's all about what kind of shortcomings you can live with & which ones are dealbreakers.

I don't personally believe in opposites attract or find that appealing but while that's an opinion like favorite colors & pizza toppings, I really hate the "introverts must be fixed" narrative. If an introvert sorts out their issues you just get a happy introvert.
In my experience if you put a shy person with a loud one tHey don't talk more but just get shouted over. At best you could say that both need to work out their issues (which would be true for nearly every combination in this cast anyways)
I'm not going to say that ALL LSA fics include it or that it's impossible to do the ship without that trope (heck not sure how much this is even specific to Asuka or down to how ff on the internet didn't cme from the USA a very extroverted culture) but it's there a lot of the time.

View Original Postorcot wrote:So yeah for Rei perhaps a ballerino or some artsy kid heavy on dark poetry.


How fortunate then that I am here *plays Evanescence on loop and whips out black roses *
Alas poor Kaworu, I knew him well...

C.T.1290
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
Age: 30
Posts: 609
Joined: Apr 22, 2017
Location: U.S.A.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Uuum, isn’t Rei like fourteen?

Yes, I know a lot of guys think that anime girls are cute in an attractive sense, an EVA has been around for a long time now, but I thought I bring something to attention here.

Teenage girls and older guys just don’t mix together because;
1) In real life, that would be illegal to go after minors.
2) People would think it’s creepy to think young girls are attractive if they’re at a certain age. Go for 18 and over, people.

Now, I know I’m coming off as some sort of loli and waifu police here, but I thought I’d address that so that we don’t up facing some dire consequences. Plus, I think that’s one of the things Anno has warned us about when it comes to the Otaku culture. Just FYI.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian


Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests