Rei Is Best Waifu

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Rei Is Best Waifu

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:56 pm

Sure, Asuka has ginger red hair, lovely eyes, and a feisty personality but let’s face it, her tragic background and personality has resulted in her being verbally and physically abusive and manipulative to her roommate Shinji. While her actions are understandable given her tragic background, as she’s had to deal with these issues solely on her own, they do not excuse them. Understandable and acceptable are two different philosophies.

Rei on the other hand, despite her social isolation and lack of social customs cares deeply about Shinji, and is openly honest about it as well. It’s sad that she like Asuka doesn’t know how to admit her feelings for him.

Now, I don’t condone abandonment to Asuka, if anything I’d encourage Shinji to connect with and befriend her to help her overcome her trauma and recognize the flaw in her behavior. But if I were in Shinji’s shoes, I’d see Rei as less troublesome and more trustworthy to romance.

I’m rooting for the underdogs on this one.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Rei Is Best Waifu

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 am

Nah man, Rei's like the cowards way out. Sure, she doesn't hit or verbally abuse you, but she's all like "I don't know what to do in this situation" - that's just asking for trouble. You can basically tell her whatever you want and if she trusts you, she will accept that. Imagine how boring that is in the long run. "I don't know what to do when you pay me a compliment" -> "Uh, sure, just, like, fetch me a beer or something." Best case she does it, worse case she gives you an opague lecture on how you're just closing your heart off. In the case of Shinji, with all his dependent behaviour, he will just mold her into his perfect mother/daughter/lover hybrid figure, unconsciously moving to make her completely dependent on him as well.

Asuka meanwhile doesn't take shit from anybody. It's her way or the highway. I mean, they are even colorcoded for your convenience: Do you choose the Red Demon, Furor Teutonicus incarnate, ready to burn you to a crisp by her mere presence at a moments notice, or the Blue Doll, a cold fish, a relic of a bygone era, ready to suck the fun out of every situation by being so god damn dull and philosophical all the time? Wildcat vs. Blobfish, your choice. If I were going for an unhealthy relationship, I know that I'd rather burn brightly for a few months than spend years in boredom slowly fizzling out. Aim for the Top, don't scrape the bottom of the barrel. In the case of Shinji, he could actually learn something if he gets over himself and listens to Asuka's criticism, as she's the only one actually pointing out how he can improve himself. Not that he would. He'd just end up being her punching bag until she loses interest - not that that would dissuade him from always crawling back to her.

But, as every true connoisseur of Eva-Waifus knows, there is only one realistically obtainable option in the whole series: Right Hand-chan. :devil:
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:09 am

all the characters are pretty traumatised even from the start, whilst cameraderie should be promoted none are really suited for romantic relations.
Also they are like 14 years old.

Asuka would be best off. With a energetic none threatening character of her own age, like say a martial arts sparring partner. Better at fighting then Asuka but none threatening in that she wields a skyscraper like robot. Get some of that energy out.
Asuka would also have profitted to take a ride with Rei in Eva 00. Rei showing Asuka her inner Rei could have helped Asuka rediscover her mother inside unit 02 earlier not really romantic but to a 14 year old her mother would be very inportant.

Rei(II) is a difficult one she badly needs a meeting with child protective services. She is a test pilot so her financial status should be on par with Misato's, also it's often said that the world is hungry so NERV could protect the world putting your limited pilots in such squirrel conditions, where they could be mugged or murdered. She needs a appartment that reflects her status. Somewhere close to the other pilots somewhere close to a park and fountains.
I think Rei by definition want's to protect humanity and would probably study to become a doctor but is still to young. A good hobby would be as a ballerina, mascot or Actor. She is surprisinly good in repeating a dance she never did so she does have talent, she also has the lowest synch rate out of the 3 pilots so anything that helps her improving synchronizing with a group of humans should be encouraged. She also has problems communication but for example has no shame (in nudity), this would make me wonder how Rei would act if she was (a masked) mascot, perhaps this would turn out good perhaps not, definitly worth a try.

Rei's like the cowards way out

She can be very loyal yes. But she does not pilot unit 00 for Gendo she does it for her link with humanity. That said I think it would be very hard to make her do something she doesn't see the point to, she is portrait as a vegetarian pointing abouth having a notrious difficult personality. Rei making a meal to impress someone like Hikari did would also seem completly out of character for Rei. That said it's not completly inverse to what you said, she is perfectly capable to offer you some tea.

So yeah for Rei perhaps a ballerino or some artsy kid heavy on dark poetry.

Shinji needs a more dominant women but not Asuka a younger version of Misato perhaps NERV puts all the pilot candidates in one classroom perhaps they could arrange a girl next door to Misato where Shinji could run away to once in a while. Perhaps put him in a quartet with 3 ladies of his age that he can pick from.

Rei (III) is definitely different then Rei II (based on the manga) she is somewhat of a blabbermouth and lost. She basicly reveals the reason that she does not remember Shinji is because she is probably the third (clone) from the very start. She is also lost because Rei (II) reason of existence was to pilot the eva and protect humanity. With unit 00 gone she has no reason to live except to wait to be sacrified by Gendo at the proper time. With no reason on her own and to young to specialize in a other field (becoming a doctor or some sort) her next best thing would be to support those that can still protect humanity meaning Shinji (like samwise from lord of the ring if i can't carry the ring I can carry you) and perhaps regain some of her lost memories. In this case I could see a relation between Rei and Shinji.

Shinji and Asuka would be a terible match because he is a direct competitor of Asuka. If Shinji out performs Asuka she would suffer greatly

he could actually learn something if he gets over himself and listens to Asuka's criticism, as she's the only one actually pointing out how he can improve himself

Not only Shinji Asuka pushes Rei out of her comfort zone as the punchin bag also forcing Rei to take a more dominant role that she is confertable with (I'm thinking about Matarael in particulairy). She is a good friend to have.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 am

View Original Postorcot wrote:She can be very loyal yes. But she does not pilot unit 00 for Gendo she does it for her link with humanity. That said I think it would be very hard to make her do something she doesn't see the point to, she is portrait as a vegetarian pointing abouth having a notrious difficult personality. Rei making a meal to impress someone like Hikari did would also seem completly out of character for Rei. That said it's not completly inverse to what you said, she is perfectly capable to offer you some tea.

Which makes her not only an ideal candidate for Shinji to ingest his effort in, but also a model example to look up to. Shinji pilot the Eva because he wishes to be validated by the same token as others and wants to feel like his existence matters. One of the reasons why he pilots the Eva is to earn approval from his father and the others. The sad thing is he rarely gets it. If Shinji was willing to follow Rei’s example, I’m sure he would feel more determined to get in the robot.

View Original Postorcot wrote:Not only Shinji Asuka pushes Rei out of her comfort zone as the punchin bag also forcing Rei to take a more dominant role that she is confertable with (I'm thinking about Matarael in particulairy). She is a good friend to have.

Correct. There is a difference between constrictive criticism and vulgar criticism. The former is intended to point out your flaws for the sake of improvement, the latter is intended to demoralize and harass.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:09 am

orcot wrote:Rei showing Asuka her inner Rei

Lewd. :shifty:

orcot wrote:So yeah for Rei perhaps a ballerino or some artsy kid heavy on dark poetry.

*tips fedora* M'Reidy ... :naughty:

@Hopelessromantic: Maybe you should change the thread title to "How to make the pilots healthy via shipping" and request a move to serious discussion.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:52 am

I would see Rei(II) with either the emo kid or the I'm fourteen and this is deep kind of guy especially if it's up Rei alley, very abstract stuff of the better good for humanity etc
Ballet, waterballet anything where people need to synchronize with one another and could be clone's of one another Rei would be good at. She's passive yes but she has ritme and can memorize and execute choreography well.

*tips fedora* M'Reidy ... :naughty:

she is 14 and appears to be in that stuff hopefully it's a phase

Which makes her not only an ideal candidate for Shinji to ingest his effort in, but also a model example to look up to. Shinji pilot the Eva because he wishes to be validated by the same token as others and wants to feel like his existence matters.

I believe Shinji pushes himself to the background constantly Rei (II) adores Gendo. So altough no evil intentions she is not good to help Shinji open up to other people. (In fact Rei II can't really help with Shinji's mayor issues).

One of the reasons why he pilots the Eva is to earn approval from his father and the others. The sad thing is he rarely gets it.

I like Shinji joining a quartet it allows Shinji to take (center) stage and you get a little applause afther you done playing something Shinji could use more off. Often times shy kids bloom when they are on a podium. It would certainly be my first suggestion for Shinji. He's a decent cello player for a 14 year old. Such small groups also force communication more and even if your silent you still play so your still interacting with the group.

on a sidenote It would also be a good idea to put a tracking device in Shinji's walkman (the world is depending on him fighting the angels and that involves finding him first).
and out of curiosity who would you ship Asuka to?
Rei showing Asuka her inner Rei[qoute]Lewd. :shifty:

[/quote]
I meant whatever soul power unit 00 in the manga Rei calls it the other me.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:41 pm

Although she's a Rebuild character it's still kind of relevant since this thread is about waifus, but to me the best waifu is Mari. I know its a strange and controversial pick compared to Asuka or Rei, but I always seem to be drawn to the dark horse picks. The way I see it, Rei and Asuka are like two opposite ends of a scale. On one end you have dull and boring Rei, and on the other end you have toxic and abusive Asuka. Mari is somewhere in the middle, being like a perfect balance between the two. She's a lot nicer and more empathetic than Asuka is, but she isn't a boring pushover like Rei and will speak her mind and knows how to have fun. She feels like the most normal and down to earth out of the pilots. What's there not to love about her? It's a shame most of the fandom seems to really hate her though, even though she hasn't done anything wrong, unlike all the other people on the Wunder who treated Shinji like a stranger.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:58 am

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Although she's a Rebuild character it's still kind of relevant since this thread is about waifus

I’m pretty sure Rei was introduced in NGE before Asuka’s appearance, unless there’s something I missed.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:21 am

I’m pretty sure Rei was introduced in NGE before Asuka’s appearance, unless there’s something I missed.

Why do my quotes look different from anyone elses? I can't see your names.

I think melkor was talking abouth Mari who is a rebuild character. (I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen rebuild yet I've yust finished the manga and I'm at episode 8 of the Original anime (I had seen it like 10 years ago). I was planing on purchasing the rebuild when theirs a collector edition of the 4 movies

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 am

To quote with attribution, use the “ button top-right of the post to quote.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:38 am

View Original PostMelkor wrote:What's there not to love about her?

I don't know, she is just ... weird. And not in the good way. You know, like people who put on a quirky/edgy facade - and then you find out that, actually, no, that wasn't a facade and the sentiment turns from "Wtf is going on, this seems strange but fun" to "Jeez, this is actually creepy." Out of all the Eva characters, she's the one who strikes me as being a true psychopath. Or at the very least a personal space invader.

How to title quotes wrote:You can also type in a title manually, like this: [ quote="How to title quotes" ] Text [ /quote ], just remove the spaces between the brackets.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:47 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:I don't know, she is just ... weird. And not in the good way. You know, like people who put on a quirky/edgy facade - and then you find out that, actually, no, that wasn't a facade and the sentiment turns from "Wtf is going on,

well that's called being genuine

this seems strange but fun" to "Jeez, this is actually creepy." Out of all the Eva characters, she's the one who strikes me as being a true psychopath. Or at the very least a personal space invader.

No offense but that sounds so odd I don't mind hearing why you would think so.
Abouth the psychopath thing Rei is very passive, melancholic psychopats usually have a lot of energy, psychopats abuse the system in their advantage, as a eva pilot, Rei is near irreplaceableshe could demand a millionaire wages except she lives in poverty.
In the exreme Rei would be a martyr willing to kill herself for the greater good (like a suicide bomber or a kamikaze)

I have no idea how you come up with her invading anyone's personal space. Rei is often seem as suffering from autisme, schizophrenia or others but all include avoiding human contact. I've yust finished rewatching episode 1-8 she avoids any interaction if possible. Episode 5 (the tit episode)is the clearest example where she avoids a conversation with Shinji to ridiculess lengths she only starts interacting when he triggers one of her intrest Gendo? I believe she is schizoid [link] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_ ... d_symptoms[/link]. Basicly schizophrenia without the paranoia. Rei only shows signs of Paranoia when she is inside her eva and their most likely is a other person in their with her (eva's have souls).

In short Rei would never enter someone personal space and avoid anyone from entering her personal space.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:22 pm

All of that was in reply to Melkor, who was talking about Mari, not Rei.

(Also, please don't take everything I say so seriously. This is a waifu thread - it is silly by nature.)

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:34 pm

View Original PostDerantor wrote:All of that was in reply to Melkor, who was talking about Mari, not Rei.

(Also, please don't take everything I say so seriously. This is a waifu thread - it is silly by nature.)

yeah sorry it is funny she can portrait to be what I believe to be her exact opposite.
Anyone who can charge a angel with a N2 mine like some sort of super mutant suicider to protect her offspring (as lilith humanity is technically her offspring), would probably make a good waifu if we can appease her in letting the mighty roomba's (seriosly those things mob now) have dominion in what ever chamber she's not currently in.

Still think that girl needs a hobby tough

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:14 am

View Original PostDerantor wrote:I don't know, she is just ... weird. And not in the good way. You know, like people who put on a quirky/edgy facade - and then you find out that, actually, no, that wasn't a facade and the sentiment turns from "Wtf is going on, this seems strange but fun" to "Jeez, this is actually creepy." Out of all the Eva characters, she's the one who strikes me as being a true psychopath. Or at the very least a personal space invader.

True, Rei is definitely weird. However, weird doesn’t always necessarily have to mean bad. Yes, she has what some people would quickly dismiss as a facade. But personally, I don’t blame her. Out of all the pilots, I believe she is the one who has it the most difficult. Imagine if you knew you were just a clone, constructed from the flesh of your friend’s parent, and inserted with the soul of an Angel. You aren’t really human, you hadn’t have had the privilege to be born to actual parents, and sometimes you feel like your entire life is a lie, and you start to go into an existential crisis. She wants to know what it’s like to feel human emotion.

If anyone is the psychopath, it’s Asuka. She constantly makes a mockery of Shinji and pushes away from him to avoid being hurt despite the fact that she is desperate for his affection, and Kaji’s beforehand. Her behavior is understandable as she was emotionally scarred by her mother’s suicide. This in my personal opinion are the roots of an unhealthy relationship, which as it showed in the series grew all the more distant, the result of Shinji’s passivity and Asuka’s pressure.

If I were Shinji, I’d place my romantic interests on Rei before making an effort to help Asuka overcome her trauma.

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am

This is no fun, guys ... I was talking about Mari. This one:

Just because Asuka is mean to Shinji doesn't mean that she's a psycopath. She isn't lacking in empathy or manipulative enough. She's just scared and confused. And yeah, if she doesn't change and starts up something with Shinji, it will turn into one hell of an abusive relationship.

Mari on the other hand is just plain unreadable. Who knows what goes on behind that eversmiling facade of hers. This is Eva; precisely because she looks fine at first glance, she's the most scary of them all. If she were about to sniff me, I'd run for the hills. :bigeyes:

IgRAzm
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Please, don't misuse the word psychopath so much. Ultimately, it is a disorder, with pretty clearly defined effects. It's not simply interchangable with "evil and lacking self-awareness". I don't mind it being used like that occasionally, but when in the same conversation both meanings happen to come up, it just gets plain confusing.
Yeah, with Mari - I don't buy her. I dunno what is going on in her mind and how can she be just happy to be, whenever we see her - foh noh reason!
Even though it's very different with Rei, I gotta admit what I don't know what exactly is going in her head, either. A lot to work with there, but still, the way she changes is hard to imagine when I can't see her really expressing her process of development.
Also, she couldn't be actually living for more than 10 years, and some say it's even less than that. How'd her brain develop as a result is a mystery to me. Best headcanon - she is a prodigy at her age and her brain actually matured quicker, so having less years behind doesn't really hinder her. That would be ironic with Asuka living for more years but still being incapable to mature quicker, like she wanted. What is it really, to mature, is a question on its own, but I'd say the pilots are all pretty good at it, hardly less than it would be possible in their positions and more than they are given credit.
What is my ultimate choice in the waifu territory, then? No pedo so Asuka is the only one left Asuka obvously wins for many of her hidden virtues, character complexity and the sheer entertainment she can bring. Just stop having literally the worst fitting character type for her to deal with in life, face her just a tiniest, littleest bit less straightforwardly and head-on, smile to her attempts at berating you at first, make her realize you are not putting up with her shit the way she is used to and, rather, are trying to show her what her way doesn't lead in a good place for either of you, all the while you point out what you are amazed by and value it for what it is: that whole unique predicament of yours with her; give her both space and comfort of getting her slowly to realize what you aren't abandoning her any time soon and her behavior at the moment won't change this; actually begin to shift what she percieves as things what make her valuable to what you think makes her that, and after she becomes slightly less bitchy to you personally, keep reminding her over and over what she is the driving force in the relationship and it's her sense of life, her own decisions in the little and big things, her exuberance is what keeps the whole thing together and moving; most importantly don't expect her to give you the happiness or anything of the sort, but guide her and help her to actually earn the damn thing.
Just some wishful thinking. Obviously, cannot expect such things from someone like Shinji. If not him, then I can't fathom them needing a more or less happy, self-absorbed and distant brat as a pilot. They also need mothers, and that changes everything... No please, leave the past me alone, I'm pretty content with my very limited troubles in school.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:21 pm

View Original PostIgRAzm wrote:Please, don't misuse the word psychopath so much. Ultimately, it is a disorder, with pretty clearly defined effects. It's not simply interchangable with "evil and lacking self-awareness". I don't mind it being used like that occasionally, but when in the same conversation both meanings happen to come up, it just gets plain confusing.

I’m not using the term psychopath to label someone as inherently evil. I’m using the term to state that a large proportion of Asuka’s acts are not only contradictory, but also irrational and above all intentionally self-harmful. Much of this is based upon a disorder that she has inherited due to trauma which makes her actions understandable, but not necessarily acceptable in the eyes of the audience.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hopelessromantic » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:48 pm

View Original PostIgRAzm wrote:Just stop having literally the worst fitting character type for her to deal with in life, face her just a tiniest, littleest bit less straightforwardly and head-on, smile to her attempts at berating you at first, make her realize you are not putting up with her shit the way she is used to and, rather, are trying to show her what her way doesn't lead in a good place for either of you, all the while you point out what you are amazed by and value it for what it is: that whole unique predicament of yours with her; give her both space and comfort of getting her slowly to realize what you aren't abandoning her any time soon and her behavior at the moment won't change this; actually begin to shift what she percieves as things what make her valuable to what you think makes her that, and after she becomes slightly less bitchy to you personally, keep reminding her over and over what she is the driving force in the relationship and it's her sense of life, her own decisions in the little and big things, her exuberance is what keeps the whole thing together and moving; most importantly don't expect her to give you the happiness or anything of the sort, but guide her and help her to actually earn the damn thing.
Just some wishful thinking. Obviously, cannot expect such things from someone like Shinji. If not him, then I can't fathom them needing a more or less happy, self-absorbed and distant brat as a pilot.

In all honesty, your writing doesn’t seem the most coherent, and it may be with good reason.

Again, I don’t have a problem with Asuka as her own individual, but I do have a problem with her depending on Shinji for affection and treating him the way she does, especially when she lies to him about her own thoughts when she criticizes him for that as well. That’s plain misguided hypocrisy. If I were my own pilot, I’d definitely follow your advice with Asuka. But I’m not Shinji.

In my personal opinion, Shinji would be better off turning to Rei for affection, as Rei feels the need to protect humanity, including him of all people. It would be a less unstable relationship between the two.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:44 pm

Yeah, Mari is a big question mark right now because we just don't know much about her. We might get more on her in 3.0 + 1.0, but who knows. The prevailing theories surrounding her origins right now is that she has something to the Artificial Evolution Lab and that she along with Shinji and Asuka were all there as kids and had their memories of the experience erased. Mari seems like she might still retain some vague subconsciousness memory of it, hence why she is drawn to Shinji when she first encounters him, because he feels "familiar". There's also that photograph of Yui we saw in 3.0 that had some woman in it that looked like a mix of both Asuka and Mari, leading to speculation that Asuka and Mari might be half-sisters who share the same mother.

Asuka and Mari being half-sisters could heavily play into Mari's character and why she behaves the way she does. Mari's title of the "Problem Child" could be a sign that Asuka was the more favored of the two siblings, while Mari was mostly ignored by their mother. Like Shinji, Mari might have desperately wanted the attention of her parent, but went about it in a completely different way. Rather than trying to please her mother any way she could, Mari instead began to act out and misbehave for attention, leading to her being labelled the "Problem Child", while Asuka was always seen as the "Good Child" of the two. That is actually a pretty common thing some children will do, purposely misbehave and get in trouble to force their parents to pay attention to them more.

Mari's bombastic behavior and how she sort of just does whatever she wants almost screams that she's looking for attention and saying to the world "please notice me". She's like a reverse version of Shinji. On the surface, nearly everything about her seems to be the opposite of Shinji, to the point that it's almost like the movies are trying to emphasize that point that she is so different from him, but that's part of the facade. I think you're right in that her personality is a facade. For all we know, she might actually be just like Shinji on the inside or have a similar background to him, but took a different path to expressing her desire for her parent's love. I hope we get more interactions between her and Shinji in 3.0 + 1.0. If what I suspect about Mari turns out to be true, then Shinji meeting someone who has been through similar experiences as he has but handled them in a different way could give him a new perspective.
Last edited by Melkor on Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”