NTE Book differences

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

NTE Book differences

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:01 pm

I've skimmed a few of the older threads on the 1.0 & 2.0 CRC releases, and I know they have soft cover reissues. I'm trying to locate all of the books and understand what each book has in its contents. What I've gathered so far:

- Hardcover original CRC has the interviews whereas the soft cover reissue doesn't.
- 2.0 softcover reissue is two volumes whereas 1.0 is only one volume just like the hardcovers.
- Groundworks is key animation/frames from the movie.
- Storyboard books are separate from actual Groundworks (CDJapan has them both listed as "Groundsworks").

All of these are on CDJapan which I have bookmarked for purchasing (eventually). I have digital scans of the 1.0 CRC reissue and 2.0 Storyboard book. However I still end up confused, the storyboard book only contains Avant-Part B, and has different cover art than what's advertised as the 2.0 Storyboard book in online retailers. The Storyboard books online have cover arts with just the plain movie color with the Japanese title running down the middle; the image scan I have has the international title on the side, and a slim picture of what looks like a factory(?). Does anyone have the other book (if there's two different ones) and does it have the storyboards for the whole movie?

And other than the hardcover release of the CRCs, is there anywhere else those interviews are in? Pages 362-382 near the end of the softcover reissue looks like a script? I'm unsure since I can't actually read Japanese.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: NTE Book differences

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:31 am

CRC = Storyboards + production material + interviews

As you said, the soft cover re-release of the CRC only includes the production material.
The storyboards too have been re-released in a stand alone format (smaller physical format by the way), and include all parts of the movie.
The inteviews are included in the premium subscription of the EVA-EXTRA app (currently only half of the 1.0 interviews are available and in Japanese only).

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: NTE Book differences

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:29 am

Alright, I'm starting to piece everything together. I saw the original hardcover releases of 1.0 and 2.0's CRC on Ebay just now and the 2.0 CRC had the Storyboard book that I have image scans of, it was just split up into two books.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”