How come there hasn't been any sort of introspection in the Rebuilds?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tajai
Tunniel
Tunniel

How come there hasn't been any sort of introspection in the Rebuilds?

•      
  •      

Postby Tajai » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:55 am

It honestly came to me as a surprise, when I realized the fact that there hasn't been an ounce of anything regarding introspection or any sort of psychoanalysis of the Rebuild characters. To me, the most interesting aspect of the entire series was the introspection of a character's mind. The constant analysis of the cast's thoughts, desires, fears and worries always fascinated me.

It was such a remarkable aspect from the original series, and realizing that there wasn't anything like it in the Rebuilds confused me. Why is it not present?

[to be perfectly clear, I really enjoyed watching the rebuild films. I honestly cannot wait to see what happens in 3.0+1.0, so I hope this question doesn't come as any sort of criticism against the films. I wholeheartedly appreciate the effort both Anno and Khara have put into the films, and I couldn't be more glad for their contributions.]
God's in his heaven, all's right with the world.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: How come there hasn't been any sort of introspection in the Rebuilds?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:31 pm

Have a routine reminder that the films are not a remake of the series, but a separate item with a different story and using techniques more appropriate to film. I could reverse things and say why does the series not show us Shinji being placed in a long period of continuing unmitigated confusion, as happens in 3.33?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:27 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:there hasn't been an ounce of anything regarding introspection or any sort of psychoanalysis of the Rebuild characters.

Not quite true. Shinji still rides the "hell train" a couple of times.

The long psychoanalytical monologues were a bit of novelty in NGE -- crazy art house stuff in a Japanese cartoon -- and many of us find it easy to love them, myself included. However, I don't think it would have worked to simply fall back on that technique again in a film series. As mysterious as Eva gets when it comes to lore aspects, these monologues take the exact opposite approach, being a blunt instrument for characterization -- "let me sit down on this chair and tell you, the audience, how I feel". They break "show, don't tell", and they interrupt the much more streamlined flow that's required in film. In NTE, characterization is instead done primarily through "show": what they say, what they do, and the use of a dense visual language.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:48 pm

These new movies are mostly focused on showing things in real life instead of long, surreal dialogue/monologue heavy scenes of the original. Although, Shinji has few train sequences similar to NGE, Rei Q has identity crisis and questions her nature, but it happens in real life. Same thing with Asuka before piloting Eva-03.
I get the feeling while watching Rebuild that Anno wants to challenge himself on how much characterization and lore he can put into these movies through visuals alone and with as little dialogue/monologue as possible.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:00 am

I argue the Rebuilds are doing a lot more subtle character work than NGE ever did. NGE is a masterpiece and part of its magic is that the series would spend lengthy periods of time showing you in no uncertain terms what the character was feeling. It was very direct visually. Why is Shinji upset? He's upset because his father left him and here's a glimpse of that moment and here's Shinji talking to a version of himself about that issue. Etc. It's introspection but it's very loud and direct introspection.

The Rebuilds have been doing a lot more of that with subtle expressions and narrative. Sure there's occasionally too blunt a line but for the most part a lot of the character thoughts and feelings can be read in their actions and how the films interplay with themselves. Example: In 1.0 when Misato berates Shinji in the locker room for disobeying an order while fighting an Angel there's an added moment when after Shinji leaves Misato slaps herself as penance. It works as a strong beat to end the scene and jump to the next but it also signifies that THIS Misato is someone who while strict and commanding when need be internally feels much pain and self-anger for the things she has to do professionally. The films don't have long internal monologues where Misato talks to the camera about feeling angry at herself for doing this but she has too and it won't remind the audience of that moment with a flashback BUT if that knowledge of the character is carried over (as it should) to her role in 3.0 where she's again strict and commanding with Shinji we know with very little said that she's hurting on the inside.

I think A LOT of the character work in the Rebuilds is phenomenal but it's just subtle and not done in the direct way NGE was. At the end of 3.0 when Asuka looks down at the broken Shinji in the ejected entry plug, quickly realizes how devastated he is and walks away to take a quick breath to cool down all with her back to camera before getting to the work at hand might be one of my favorite bits of character direction ever. There's no line of dialogue or long held close up on her face, it's just all done in body language. I love it and could talk about one direction choice for hours. It's not something I think a young filmmaker (like Anno was when he did NGE) would do because it's not as sexy as a powerful in-your-face visual beat or a line of dialogue but it's so smart and economical.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:33 am

Gendo's Papa basically said it more elaborately, but yeah, I think Rebuild is telling a lot visually. We're also seeing a version of Evangelion where instead of the world being very realistic, with all abstract scenes being somehow caused by external factors like Angels/Impacts in "mental" scenes, the world itself is becoming very symbolical/metaphorical, and is making less and less sense on the surface level. You wouldn't have had Shinji learning to play the piano in 10 seconds in NGE.

I'm a little surprised the complaint/observation is so common though among Eva fans.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Velorex
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Velorex » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 pm

View Original PostTajai wrote:It honestly came to me as a surprise, when I realized the fact that there hasn't been an ounce of anything regarding introspection or any sort of psychoanalysis of the Rebuild characters. To me, the most interesting aspect of the entire series was the introspection of a character's mind. The constant analysis of the cast's thoughts, desires, fears and worries always fascinated me.

It was such a remarkable aspect from the original series, and realizing that there wasn't anything like it in the Rebuilds confused me. Why is it not present?

[to be perfectly clear, I really enjoyed watching the rebuild films. I honestly cannot wait to see what happens in 3.0+1.0, so I hope this question doesn't come as any sort of criticism against the films. I wholeheartedly appreciate the effort both Anno and Khara have put into the films, and I couldn't be more glad for their contributions.]

tbh the only thing I can think of for rebuild is that they changed the traumatic defining moment for Asuka....
Essentially instead of a mama complex she has a Shinji complex. the tramatic moment that defines her character now involves Shinji and the 03 incident
"the master of a cruel angel's hypothesis"

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:49 pm

We still don't fully know what's up with Shikinami; I'm fairly certain that her doll also has something to do with something fucked up. Probably nothing related directly to suicide, but something about the way she talks to that doll always carried a kinda... off vibe to me; can't really pinpoint it tho
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:01 am

According to the notes for the doll, it's a treasured childhood keepsake and the only friend she had as a little kid, which is why she talks to it.

Velorex wrote:tbh the only thing I can think of for rebuild is that they changed the traumatic defining moment for Asuka....
Essentially instead of a mama complex she has a Shinji complex. the tramatic moment that defines her character now involves Shinji and the 03 incident

Eva 03 took the place of Episode 22. The Angel's battle theme has a subtle Hallelujah chorus in it to drive the point home. It also has overtones of End of Evangelion with Eva 01 strangling Asuka and then ripper her apart with her mouth. The taped up plugsuit in 3.0 serves as a sort of meta gag for people familiar with EoE even though that plugsuit she's wearing is a new model that didn't appear anywhere in 2.0.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:04 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote: the only friend she had as a little kid

I mean, I'd say that that does qualify as "something fucked up", especially when considering the whole AEL thing
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”