Neon Genesis Evangelion Relationship Map

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

veniceghost
Embryo

Neon Genesis Evangelion Relationship Map

•      
  •      

Postby veniceghost » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:39 pm

I've been building Graphy which is a web site for relationship map. Mainly for fan arts. As a fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion, I created one for the relationship and the other for the original sound track.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Relationship Map
https://graphy.studio/graphs/Jn9s9EenF1QgOIUtbbqm

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Original Sound Track (Listen to OST)
https://graphy.studio/graphs/EfuBhEBMsKFGCZEF8OC7

I don't think I can embed the graphs here. I just put up the links instead. If you found any errors and things to improve, please, feel free to create your own graph by duplicating mine. (Menu > Duplicate)

Enjoy! Thanks!

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion Relationship Map

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:45 am

You've got Toji wrong: His soul wasn't transferred, he was the pilot. Soul transfer should happen from his mother. I also got no clue why you think Kaworu was the designated pilot of Unit-04. Rei was cloned from Yui and had her soul transferred from Lilith, not the other way around.

Edit: Also, the arrows going from Toji's family to him and his sister should read "Son" and "Daughter", not elder brother/younger sister. You'd need two arrows between those two for that relationship.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

IgRAzm
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:08 am

Most importantly, there's a problem with Yui - Rei connection. They don't have soul transfer, it's DNA transfer at best. That's debatable, too, what there 100% exists a genetic connection, might be she was just made in her shape.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 am

View Original PostIgRAzm wrote:Most importantly, there's a problem with Yui - Rei connection. They don't have soul transfer, it's DNA transfer at best. That's debatable, too, what there 100% exists a genetic connection, might be she was just made in her shape.

Rei has at least a significant part of Yui's DNA. There's nothing debatable about that.
Other than that yes, Rei doesn't have Yui's soul, that resides in 01
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

IgRAzm
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:10 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Rei has at least a significant part of Yui's DNA. There's nothing debatable about that.

Maybe. Most likely. It's just what all the canonic information I processed, was somewhat vague about that point. And here I only count the original series, as the map is based upon it. I consider supplimentary information, but as long as the piece of fiction itself has no references, I prefer to go all "well, I don't like this bit, so kinda screw it, even though I won't yell about it everywhere, it's just for me, really."

There exist common misunderstandings and extrapolations, and I try to be vary of them at all times, as they create chances for a piece of work to be misinterpreted majorly. As for me, welp, I'm just too concerned of the opinions of others about fiction, that's why this affects me more often than not, that's just how I percieve it. I don't think that's exactly the case here (the DNA being a problem), because her exactly having the DNA has little importance in the OS comparitively. I have to say I have special reasons to be pedantic about this particular bit (because of my fanfic, which is about the OS, as well). Anyways, I'm not quite sold mostly because Rei as a character differs so much in every entry. So I would want to ask first: "what Rei exactly is in question," whenever she comes up. And the whole fan speculation about her getting extracted from Eva-01's Core to me seems imperfect. If this is actually confirmed and I'm not aware, then I'll accept. Better, if the confirmation is more vague about the details, what seems more likely.

I hope it all doesn't sounds too much like I'm aiming for "oh, gotcha" thing. I welcome discussion, but also realize this was probably discussed to death and I simply missed all these topics. In my defense I can say what I looked for them. Even if not specifically.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:24 pm

In every official tie-in that I'm aware of, Rei is simply called a "copy" of Yui. This is the same wording that's used for the relationship between the Evas and Adam. This "copy" idea is present right in the original show: Naoko observes immediately that Rei is a dead ringer for Yui, a point that's forced when Rei's face turns into Yui's and the only things that change are age and pigmentation. (The latter doesn't mean much, since palette-swapped clones are a visual trope; Thailog from Gargoyles is another example of this.) The new movies -- for all their changes -- don't stray from this, either, referring to Rei as a "replica". The whole concept that Rei is anything other than a clone (i.e. is a "part-Lilith genetic hybrid" or whatever) is unnecessary fanon.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

IgRAzm
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby IgRAzm » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Thanks. I guess I'll just concede about her being a clone. The contention for me was really only about the bit with "Yui's DNA." I accept what there is little reason to think the relationship isn't, at the core, the same as between Evas and Adam.

That portion of lore in my fic is planned to be different. But the difference has no effect in 99.5% of times her being a clone is mentioned. Rather than DNA, it's about the soul and AT-field, because it makes more sense in that particular context, and also just because that's how I decided to extrapolate it in my story. I will explore parts of lore what have room for multiple interpretations in a unique way. From now on I'll remember what there is a comfirmable deviation from canon. My ways to go around that are probably going to regard particular people's understanding of the events, information what they were told and, in their turn, willingness to reveal that certain information in it's entirety.

There is just one more thing. I'm not sure if we are explicitly told what Evas were copied using the salvaged DNA of Adam. If that's true and we assume it's the same situation as with Rei, then that solidifies it. And I recognize what clone basically means it's made using the DNA. Copy, though, is a bit more malleable wording. Even if there is no mention of DNA there, I don't think I'd still be unsure what they are clones. It's only about my fic having a contradiction with certainty. It's for my soul to find peace. Either way, my interpretation in the fic is different from what I'll consider the truth outside of it.

Return to “Fan Works”