End of Evangelion Traumatized Me

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

End of Evangelion Traumatized Me

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 am

The first time I saw the movie End of Evangelion, I felt traumatized. The first clips of the movie I had the misfortune to come across were the hospital scene and the Third Impact. I’m still new to the whole Evangelion series, so there may be things I don’t understand. But what I do know is that after watching this movie, I honest to god wanted to kill myself.

This movie made me feel past traumas of my own that made me feel absolutely empty, worse than empty actually, as I couldn’t sleep for three nights and wept till my eyes hurt. At first glance, I couldn’t help but feel ashamed of my own mental illness considering how Shinji’s own triggered the apocalypse. I was under the impression that my Aspergers Syndrome would spell doom to all of those who I loved, which is exactly what I was bullied relentlessly for not too long ago. I know that Shinji isn’t real and I am. But Hideki Anno created Shinji to resonate with the audience so much he felt real.

I’m having a hard time telling the difference between Shinji and myself, truth and reality are seeming to blur. I wanted to forget about this memory so badly, that I often thought about taking my car out onto the freeway and crashing it at 130 mph. I know I’ll probably never forget about it no matter how hard I want to, which is why I still think about suicide. No other movie has made me feel this upset, and I’ve seen other movies like A Clockwork Orange and Reqiuem for a Dream which didn’t make me as nearly as upset as End of Evangelion. And I tried searching for the internet for an answer, but all I was came across we’re articles, videos, and other media that claimed how this movie was a happy ending.

I still feel it is far from it. I did my research on how everyone can come back from LCL and how Asuka caressing Shinji’s cheek means this or that, but they doesn’t excuse or being me mental relief on how this movie traumatized me. I went to others to help who knew about the movie, and they said I needed professional help. But I’m afraid to explain this to my therapist or my parents because I feel they’ll just tighten a leash around me figuratively speaking. Am I really so crazy that I’m missing the point entirely? Am I so abnormal that I am truly alone for thinking this way about End of Evangelion?
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: End of Evangelion Traumatized Me

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun May 03, 2020 5:07 am

There is nothing abnormal about just feeling what you feel.

I also think Evangelion has a positive, though not necessarily happy ending. It acknowledges the hardships of live but hopefully looks to the future. I guess it makes many people feel they aren't alone.

Mental illnesses are nothing to be ashamed of. In fact it has merit to struggle with them and still go on. I think this is what I see in End of Eva.

I would recommend talking to a therapist, yeah. You can talk about anything with a therapist, and they will create an environment where you are comfortable. It has helped me a lot. I would also recommend distancing yourself from Eva if it makes you feel bad.

I'm sure you'll feel better. Take care of yourself.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 03, 2020 5:28 am

EoE is non-stop emotional bludgeoning. It's watching like one of those murder suicides where even the pets get battered to death -- only this one didn't have the suicide.

I still see it as a cautionary tale with a bad end, in deliberate contrast to the TV ending.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Postby Derantor » Sun May 03, 2020 8:58 am

View Original PostHopelessromantic wrote:Am I really so crazy that I’m missing the point entirely? Am I so abnormal that I am truly alone for thinking this way about End of Evangelion?

No, you are neither abnormal, nor are you alone in your opinion. My reaction to the movie, although not so strong, was similar. I, too, fail to see most of the upsides and hope that people talk about. For me, EoE is at best a somewhat ambiguous ending which leans heavily towards the negative with some tiny bits of positivity sprinkled in, and at worst an accusatory, nihilistic and utterly pessimistic take on life with about the worst ending for its characters I can imagine.

The way I see it, EoE is a tale without any fixed answers. As it doesn't provide any fixed answers, it has no fixed point. To claim it is this or that at its core in any objective sense is therefore completely wrong. It can be something for you, but it isn't anything in an objective sense. So you do not need to feel ashamed and you are not crazy for missing the point, as the point isn't there to begin with. Your opinion on it is just as valid either way, whether you see it as an uplifting tale or a crushing, depressing exercise in futility, so you are totally free to love it or hate it, or anything in between.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sun May 03, 2020 7:14 pm

After having a nightmare a week ago that I was Shinji starting the Third Impact, I’m afraid I’m on the verge of snapping.
Throughout my life, I’ve tried to fit in with the norm. Now I’m embracing the fact that I am a full fledged bohemian. Who said standing out has to remain a bad thing?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Sun May 03, 2020 9:32 pm

Depending on what exactly works for you an which shows/games/books/whatever you get invested in the most, trying to "overwrite" the impression it left on you with another show might work; there's a few like Code Geass or some of the more serious Gundam shows that might just do the trick there.

Only issue is, depending on how you process stuff, that might be a 50/50 gamble on if it makes it worse or better

EDIT: Alternatively, after a friend had a similar experience with the show, this video greatly helped him cope with the initial fallout of it
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 04, 2020 2:25 am

View Original PostHopelessromantic wrote:After having a nightmare a week ago that I was Shinji starting the Third Impact, I’m afraid I’m on the verge of snapping.
In the immediate aftermath of watching EoE hard on the heels of watching the series, my self-directed therapy was in the form of writing fix-fics. Taking back control and nudging things to a better outcome would help draw some of the poison, and stop it controlling you.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu May 21, 2020 11:56 am

Eva 3.0 had similar effects on me, it completely shocked me to the core when I saw it for the first time as a teenager, but it never made me this suicidal. You should go to a therapist.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Fri May 22, 2020 9:13 pm

It’s been five months since I came across EOE. I’m still having a hard time trying to make peace with it. Every time it comes up into my mind it takes a toll on my self esteem. I have Asperger’s Syndrome, and endured mental scars like other people, and when I can relate to someone, even a fictional character as an extension of my own personality, it can affect me. Hideki Anno as most people claim made Shinji as the ultimate wish fulfillment character, who doesn’t want to be alone, and wants to be recognized as a person, and feel affection from others. I felt as if I was forced to endure the same pain, the same agony, the same breakdowns that he went through in EOE, and I feel it’s eating me up like a parasite. The moral impression I received from this movie is, “If you have mental illness, you’ll have an absolutely miserable life.” Sometimes I have a hard time telling whether I have a mental disability or a mental illness or both .I’m trying to figure out what self directed therapy would be good for me, but nothing has worked so far.

To put it into perspective, six years ago, I was an emotional wreck. I was sent to a therapy program for two years, where I had learned to accept and make peace with who I am despite my mental disability.

It feels like End of Evangelion undid all of that progress, and I’m back at square one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 23, 2020 10:50 am

The moral impression I received from this movie is, “If you have mental illness, you’ll have an absolutely miserable life.”
Not so much that, as "If you make no effort to help yourself, then don't be surprised if your world goes to hell all around you." Far from decisively accepting himself as per the TV end, EoE!Shinji just drifts and tries to hide from life.

View Original PostHopelessromantic wrote:It feels like End of Evangelion undid all of that progress, and I’m back at square one.
It's well attested that the stresses and strains of making NGE put Anno into a relapse of his depression, with EoE emerging from this bout as if as his self-directed art therapy. That's some of the reason I suggested indulging in fix-fic, as being your own art therapy, to take control and externalise the negativity.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat May 23, 2020 4:08 pm

To accommodate with this mental crisis of mine, I have taken the time to do a fix fic and some poetry, but I still have a ways to go in my recovery. While I have come to accept End of Evangelion what it is, I confess that during the duration of the months, I have also become obsessed with finding an answer to why I felt this way. I’ve reached a possible conclusion that there is likely no answer. I’ve often wondered if I can ever be “cured” or at the very least “treated”. Whether I acknowledge or ignore the movie’s impact on me, the outcome is always the same, me doubting my own potential to rise above expectations.

To me, and I’m sure for others, Shinji represents what I could’ve been, if things went differently for the worse, and I didn’t make the choices I did. And years ago in my early high school years, I felt almost exactly like Shinji. It’s a distorted and twisted reflection of me. And it felt disturbing to see this distorted version of myself go down this nihilistic and self loathing path to the point of no return. If such a path remains open to me, how do I shut it for good?

To those reading this, I am grateful for your help.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat May 23, 2020 4:25 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Not so much that, as "If you make no effort to help yourself, then don't be surprised if your world goes to hell all around you." Far from decisively accepting himself as per the TV end, EoE!Shinji just drifts and tries to hide from life.

That is true, and I am trying to help myself with this predicament. While I know my statement is inaccurate in terms of logical reception, it’s a different story for my emotional reception. Knowing something and feeling something can be two seperate things.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat May 30, 2020 6:27 pm

I’ve just started reading the fan comic known as Evangelion Re-take. In my opinion, it succeeded where End of Evangelion has originally failed. And it’s amazing, truly, as well as wholesome. It’s also a thought provoked as well.
To those of you who feel affected by the movie as I do, I highly recommend reading it, as it’s doing me some good.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Sat May 30, 2020 8:48 pm

I'm very glad to hear that it helps you feel better about yourself and Eva, more power to you there.

However, I generally advise against Retake for various reasons that aren't that important in this context, and for one that is: There's some pretty grimdark nasty stuff in there in the first half; if you're already not in a great place mentally, the two... infamous scenes might just hit you in the face with a methaphorical sledgehammer if you're sensitive to that sort of thing;

sceness in question  SPOILER: Show
Shinji borderline raping catatonic Asuka and Rei's suicide aren't exactly the most pleasant plot points to think about, and leave a rather nasty aftertaste for the rest of the story in my opinion

So if anyone is going through a similar thing ase HR here and wants to read retake: PRoceed with caution; might help, might make it significantly worse, depending on what you're sensitive to
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2020 1:47 am

View Original PostHopelessromantic wrote:I’ve just started reading the fan comic known as Evangelion Re-take.
Related thread here thread/1743/DOUJINSHI-Re-Take/

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:07 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:However, I generally advise against Retake for various reasons that aren't that important in this context, and for one that is: There's some pretty grimdark nasty stuff in there in the first half; if you're already not in a great place mentally, the two... infamous scenes might just hit you in the face with a methaphorical sledgehammer if you're sensitive to that sort of thing;

sceness in question  SPOILER: Show
Shinji borderline raping catatonic Asuka and Rei's suicide aren't exactly the most pleasant plot points to think about, and leave a rather nasty aftertaste for the rest of the story in my opinion

So if anyone is going through a similar thing ase HR here and wants to read retake: PRoceed with caution; might help, might make it significantly worse, depending on what you're sensitive to

I appreciate your advice, and I know about those things. I’ve read the synopsis first to give my brain a heads up. And it really gave me mental relief. I was mainly sensitive to the fact that it required an entire global apocalypse in order for Shinji to learn the value of his own life, which I personally felt offended by. This comic on the other hand ends on a more triumphant note, and the morals aren’t as obscure.

In my personal opinion, what makes this manga special to me is thats it’s self aware that it’s an alternative ending. God told Asuka that during the third impact, alternative universes were created. This concept reinforced the fact that End of Evangelion, no matter how nihilistic or brutal it may be, is just a movie like the rest. To me, this comic taught me to not let the trauma of End of Evangelion hold me back from looking to a brighter future for myself.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Postby Blockio » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:58 am

That's a fair interpretation. Not the one I personally believe in, but I can see how you'd come to that conclusion

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:43 pm

While reading Re-Take, I’ve also had an epiphany. I was mainly upset that the majority of Otaku’s considered End of Evangelion the true ending. I wondered if that really mattered to me considering how unfavorable I found the movie myself. I realized it didn’t. If there is anything I’ve learned from the community, truth is always subjective. All things considered, there may never be a true ending to the Evangelion franchise. End of Evangelion is just a valid ending as the original two episodes and other alternative endings, because they’re all possible. This is another concept I found while reading Re-Take, as Asuka explained when infinite worlds were created. This concept reinforced the fact that End of Evangelion, no matter how nihilistic or brutal it may be, is just one ending out of many. It also helped me recognize that walking down a canonical path was also walking a self-absorbent and judgmental path. When I read the finale, I asked myself, “If I were Shinji, would I be better off in this world or the other? Does it really matter?” This opened up a new light and a new appreciation for both Re-take and End of Evangelion. To me, this comic succeeded where End of Evangelion failed.

Another video that helped myself divert from the canonical path is this: https://youtu.be/hYIT6WHvGqI

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:In the immediate aftermath of watching EoE hard on the heels of watching the series, my self-directed therapy was in the form of writing fix-fics. Taking back control and nudging things to a better outcome would help draw some of the poison, and stop it controlling you.

The hard part is I don’t want to do a fix fic. I want to learn to accept the movie the way it is. I don’t want to change it, because what’s done is done. And it’s really hard.

Hopelessromantic
Lilith

Re: Final Scene of End of Evangelion questions

Postby Hopelessromantic » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:47 pm

[This post was originally made to an old "miscellaneous EoE questions" thread. It was not on topic there, so I've moved it here, where it is 100% on topic. -Reichu]

The first time I saw the movie End of Evangelion, I felt traumatized. The first clips of the movie I had the misfortune to come across were the hospital scene and the Third Impact. I’m still new to the whole Evangelion series, so there may be things I don’t understand. But what I do know is that after watching this movie, I honest to god wanted to kill myself.

This movie made me feel past traumas of my own that made me feel absolutely empty, worse than empty actually, as I couldn’t sleep for three nights and wept till my eyes hurt. At first glance, I couldn’t help but feel ashamed of my own mental illness considering how Shinji’s own triggered the apocalypse. I was under the impression that my Aspergers Syndrome would spell doom to all of those who I loved, which is exactly what I was bullied relentlessly for not too long ago. I know that Shinji isn’t real and I am. But Hideki Anno created Shinji to resonate with the audience so much he felt real.

I’m having a hard time telling the difference between Shinji and myself, truth and reality are seeming to blur. I wanted to forget about this memory so badly, that I often thought about taking my car out onto the freeway and crashing it at 130 mph. I know I’ll probably never forget about it no matter how hard I want to, which is why I still think about suicide. No other movie has made me feel this upset, and I’ve seen other movies like A Clockwork Orange and Reqiuem for a Dream which didn’t make me as nearly as upset as End of Evangelion. And I tried searching for the internet for an answer, but all I was came across we’re articles, videos, and other media that claimed how this movie was a happy ending.

I still feel it is far from it. I did my research on how everyone can come back from LCL and how Asuka caressing Shinji’s cheek means this or that, but they doesn’t excuse or being me mental relief on how this movie traumatized me. I went to others to help who knew about the movie, and they said I needed professional help. But I’m afraid to explain this to my therapist or my parents because I feel they’ll just tighten a leash around me figuratively speaking. After having a nightmare weeks ago that I was Shinji starting the Third Impact, I’m afraid I’m on the verge of snapping.

It’s been five months since I came across EOE. I’m still having a hard time trying to make peace with it. Every time it comes up into my mind it takes a toll on my self esteem. I have Asperger’s Syndrome, and endured mental scars like other people, and when I can relate to someone, even a fictional character as an extension of my own personality, it can affect me. Hideki Anno as most people claim made Shinji as the ultimate wish fulfillment character, who doesn’t want to be alone, and wants to be recognized as a person, and feel affection from others. I felt as if I was forced to endure the same pain, the same agony, the same breakdowns that he went through in EOE, and I feel it’s eating me up like a parasite. The moral impression I received from this movie is, “If you have mental illness, everyone and everything around you will die, and it will all be your fault.” Sometimes I have a hard time telling whether I have a mental disability or a mental illness or both .I’m trying to figure out what self directed therapy would be good for me, but nothing has worked so far.

To put it into perspective, six years ago, I was an emotional wreck. I was sent to a therapy program for two years, where I had learned to accept and make peace with who I am despite my mental disability.

It feels like End of Evangelion undid all of that progress, and I’m back at square one.

To accommodate with this mental crisis of mine, I have taken the time to do a fix fic and some poetry, but I still have a ways to go in my recovery. While I have come to accept End of Evangelion what it is, I confess that during the duration of the months, I have also become obsessed with finding an answer to why I felt this way. I’ve reached a possible conclusion that there is likely no answer. I’ve often wondered if I can ever be “cured” or at the very least “treated”. Whether I acknowledge or ignore the movie’s impact on me, the outcome is always the same, me doubting my own potential to rise above expectations.

To me, and I’m sure for others, Shinji represents what I could’ve been, if things went differently for the worse, and I didn’t make the choices I did. And years ago in my early high school years, I felt almost exactly like Shinji. It’s a distorted and twisted reflection of me. And it felt disturbing to see this distorted version of myself go down this nihilistic and self loathing path to the point of no return.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”