Ritsuko in Instrumentality (EOE)

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

Ritsuko in Instrumentality (EOE)

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:24 am

I'm not too sure if this has ever been brought up but it always intrigued me how during "re-enactment", for a lack of a better word, of episode 15 during Instrumentality in EOE, Ritsuko is clearly heard in conversation involving Asuka, Misato pertaining to the later's sexual escapades with Kaji. Yeah, I haven't watched the series in a while and all I remember is Shinji looking disgustingly at Misato and Kaji going at it, Misato say something about Shinji not knowing the real her, Asuka commenting about adults licking each other's wounds (or something to that effect) and Ritsuko, THE ONLY TIME we ever hear her or get a hint of her presence, says that it's nice to be feel wanted/needed, assuming the English translation is correct. It's interesting because it more or less alludes to her relationship with Gendo and her yearning for intimacy, physical that is. There's a theory that Gendo actually said to Ritsuko, before he offed her, "I really did needed you". I'm not too sure if that's the case but it's a interesting possibility and it would tie with she said, again, assuming the English subtitled version I'm watching is true to the original Japanese. But my ultimate point is that even with that one line (or two, can't recall), SHE'S there in Instrumentality with Shini, Asuka, Rei and Misato, that is, before the official tanging.

Perhaps people have brought it up but in all the threads I've read here on the Eva forms while lurking I don't ever recall any mention of her lines/presence in Instrumentality within EOE.

:ritsuko_mug:

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Re: Ritsuko in Instrumentality (EOE)

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:31 am

Good catch! It's funny, I just posted about why Gendo's silent line being "I needed you" worked so well in the other thread, and here's Ritsuko talking about how it's nice to feel wanted/needed in EoE. I wouldn't be surprised if this was snuck in by Anno as very subtle confirmation of what Gendo said to her.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:37 am

Really good catch. I always though it was Misato saying that, but it makes much more sense that it's Ritsuko. She's dead already, and Rei came to collect her. Also explains why she says something like "It's nice to feel needed, even if its just physical", as for Misato, it definitely wasn't only that, but for her, it was, as her loveless relationship to Gendo was a far cry from the Kaji/Misato romance.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:53 am

The script attributes the line to Ritsuko, so no worries on that front.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:27 pm

That would have been interesting if we got her perspective on that matter. All we know of her is that she had a bit of an estranged relationship with her mother, followed in her footsteps, and had the same relationship problem with Gendo.

She has her problems just about as much as the others, so why not let her take a shot at this?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

AWinters
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby AWinters » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:06 am

Yesterday I saw that someone on social media had pointed out a very sneaky hidden detail:
Ritsuko always wears red lipstick except for the couple of occasions when Gendo is away.
How the hell anyone was paying attention to such a detail to notice, I'll never know!

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:46 pm

View Original PostAWinters wrote:Yesterday I saw that someone on social media had pointed out a very sneaky hidden detail:
Ritsuko always wears red lipstick except for the couple of occasions when Gendo is away.
How the hell anyone was paying attention to such a detail to notice, I'll never know!

In my personal opinion, I think she looks much better without the lipstick.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

shinryujimikihiko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinryujimikihiko » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:07 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:In my personal opinion, I think she looks much better without the lipstick.

Agreed. That is true for women generally.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”