Confusion Regarding Episode 1

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Kamon-san
Adam

Confusion Regarding Episode 1

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:28 am

Good morning,

Lately I've been re-watching Eva on Netflix. I think the last time I watched the show fully was about... two years ago? I feel like it's been an eternity since I last wrote anything on this message board. A few years ago I had become so obsessed with Eva that I was at the point where I was taking screenshots of every single piece of background/scenery/weapon and studying their design, but my Eva craze mellowed out and returned to ''normal levels'' after that.

Anyway, I don't know why I felt the need for this introduction since my question is pretty straightforward, but eh. I guess it felt unnatural to just jump into asking questions without at least SOME form of actual greeting. SO. Question time:

-My question is regarding episode 1. When Shinji comes to meet his father at his request, it JUST SO HAPPENS that Sachiel shows up on the same day. Because of that they have no time to prepare Shinji and they pretty much have to just throw him into battle without any training. This is a huge gamble but it ends up working in their favor since Eva 01 goes berserk and destroys Sachiel. How convenient.

My main source of confusion is this: we later find out that it seems like SEELE and Gendo Ikari have a pretty clear idea of how things will play out. I almost get the impression that they know when Angels will make their appearance. Why would Gendo wait so long to contact Shinji and ask him to pilot the Eva?

Did NERV wait so long because ''The Marduk Institute'' still had not declared Shinji the Third Child? We later find out the Marduk Institute is a fabrication, so there would be no reason for Gendo to wait for that before asking Shinji to become a pilot.

Was it because Gendo tried to get Shinji to come to Tokyo 3 several times before and it took Shinji all this time to make up his mind? You'd think that an organization like NERV would have means to contact Shinji easily, perhaps by sending some officials to his teacher's residence to have a word with him. Gendo could've even sent Misato directly to get Shinji at his teacher's place and explain the situation to him, I'm sure.

We know that NERV tried to activate Eva 00 before the events of episode 1 and that they already had a pilot in training in Germany (Asuka), so they already knew they had two pilots (this is why Shinji is called ''Third Child''). Does that mean that the reason why Gendo waited so long to ask Shinji to become the pilot of Eva 01 was because he figured he didn't need him since he already had Eva 00 and Rei? (and that he knew Eva 02 was almost complete?) Gendo places SO MUCH importance on Eva 01, I doubt he would've put all his faith on Eva 00 and Rei only.

Long story short: I don't understand why it took so long for Gendo to call out to Shinji. If the answer is ''because of their strained relationship'' I don't buy into it at all. Gendo is far too calculating to keep pushing back such an important part of his plan; he would've taken measures to ensure Shinji would pilot Eva 01, even is his son initially ignored his demands.

I don't know if I'm making sense or if I'm missing a crucial bit of information. I feel like I missed something. @[email protected]

Derantor
Sachiel

Re: Confusion Regarding Episode 1

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 pm

It was really just a coincidence. They know that the angels will appear - possibly in which order, but not exactly when. It just so happened that the first one appeared right when Shinji was finally brought to NERV.

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:28 pm

Pure coincidence, huh? I see. I imagine that regardless of the circumstances that led to Shinji making it Tokyo 3 on that specific day, it could be by pure coincidence that Sachiel showed up when it did.

I realize after thinking back on this whole thing that the main reason I got confused is probably because I seem to have misinterpreted just how much SEELE and Gendo knew. I think the ONE thing in the entire series that still confuses me the most is that, actually. I never quite got a clear idea of how much of what happens goes ''according to plan'' for Gendo or SEELE.

...it's like the show gave me the impression that Gendo was someone who liked to plan everything ahead and always knew what would happen. Thinking back on how things went down in the series I now realize my impression was wrong; that man leaves A LOT to chance. Most of the operations involving the Evas always have ridiculously slim chances of being successful, yet he never objects to them.

Derantor
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Yeah, it is totally unclear what they know exactly, and trying to make sense of it gives me a headache. The Ghagiel attack was described as deviating slightly from their predictions - but if they suspected the attack, why not send all three Evas, or at least have one or both pilots on stand-by? It was just pure coincedence that Asuka felt the need to show off to Shinji at the right moment. Or, I don't know, send B-Type Equipment so that Unit 02 can fight underwater if combat is expected on the open sea? And if that is impossible, why not delay the fleet or send Unit 02 like they did Unit 03: By plane? If they knew the attack would happen, they clearly did want the encounter then and there, yet they didn't seem to prepare for it beyond the basics.

(Btw, maybe you can help me. I could have sworn there was a scene where Gendo said that he "even provided a spare", meaning that he send Shinji to the fleet. Or was that in some fan-fiction I read, and got mixed up with the series?)

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”