Why didn't Misato (or anyone) tell Shinji anything in 3.0?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 spoiler policy and NOT post any open spoilers outside the password-protected subforum.
pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Why didn't Misato (or anyone) tell Shinji anything in 3.0?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:41 am

View Original Postohno2100 wrote:Honestly, my biggest question about 3.0 (and by extension 3.0+1.0) is how different would they have been if Shinji had came out of Unit 01 early. Like, much earlier. Not like a month or few like in NGE but like, let's say 1-2 years later, maybe 3 or 4.

If Shinji had come out earlier, he would have died of suffocation in space.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Archer
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Archer » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:45 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original Postohno2100#918268 wrote:Honestly, my biggest question about 3.0 (and by extension 3.0+1.0) is how different would they have been if Shinji had came out of Unit 01 early. Like, much earlier. Not like a month or few like in NGE but like, let's say 1-2 years later, maybe 3 or 4.

Maybe he already did, and that’s why he’s tagged #3 when Wille recovers him :huh:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:48 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:
View Original Postohno2100#918268 wrote:Honestly, my biggest question about 3.0 (and by extension 3.0+1.0) is how different would they have been if Shinji had came out of Unit 01 early. Like, much earlier. Not like a month or few like in NGE but like, let's say 1-2 years later, maybe 3 or 4.

I think it's evident that the basis of these what ifs are that Shinji came out of 01 before it was sent in space! :D (or that it wasn't sent in space at all)
After all, we don't know how much time passed between N3I and 01's space adventures.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:00 pm

If Shinji had come out before, there would probably have been no need to send Unit 01 into space (as he's the trigger to awaken it and hence cause an impact). And we are told that Shinji was in space, because Kaworu says "welcome back" as he is being returned to Earth.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:53 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:If Shinji had come out before, there would probably have been no need to send Unit 01 into space (as he's the trigger to awaken it and hence cause an impact). And we are told that Shinji was in space, because Kaworu says "welcome back" as he is being returned to Earth.

I'm not sure of that, since we know so little about what an Impact Trigger is and can do and what can't be done without them. After all, Gendo's intended to use a Dummy Plug to fight Zeruel and eat its core to awake (it didn't worked only because Yui interjected), and Mark was also equipped with a Dummy Plug when it fused with Lilith and the 12th Angel and did whatever the hell it did that resulted in 3I, so it seems that an Impact Trigger pilot is not indispensable to start an Impact.
Maybe Dummy Plugs are Impact Triggers and that a regular pilot (aka Asuka and Mari) controlling an Eva can't start an Impact with it, and there are pilots that also have the power of Impact Triggers (Kaworu, Shinji, maybe Rei too, which brings us back to the question of why Shinji have it); or maybe "Impact Trigger" and "can pilot an Evangelion" come together and are synonyms, that Asuka and Mari too have a DSS Choker (or WILLE trust them enough to not fit them with one) and it's just that WILLE didn't had time to explain that little detail before Mark.09 made its Kool Aid impression! :tongue:

It's also possible that even without Shinji inside EVA-01, it can still trigger impacts on its own, since it still has Yui (and now Rei) inside it, and that even if they somehow managed to bring Shinji back earlier, they still would had to send EVA-01 in space. (which is implied by the fact it constantly generate energy and emits a shitton of L-Barrier radiation even after Shinji was extracted)
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”