S2 Engines Damage Memory?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

S2 Engines Damage Memory?

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:29 am

I was reading the TV Tropes section about Yui.
This wasn't in the classified materials. Where did they get this? One of the video games?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: S2 Engines Damage Memory?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:32 am

Tvtropes is a lot of fun to read, but it's best to not take everything on it at face value. I've seen numerous supposed ""Anno quotes"" on it that he most definitely never said, all in support of one or the other ship

Edit: I can't be bothered to look up which page I found it on, but according to one page, he supposedly outright stated that Shinji/Asuka were an official couple after Instrumentality. Needless to say, a whole bunch of bs, that.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:55 pm

I know what they're referring to, but the troper loses all credibility by presenting the information solely in the form of personalized extrapolations, leaving out the super-vague original context that can be interpreted any possible number of ways.

In Kaworu's PSP ending, he speaks with another Seed of Life who tells him, "Your soul ate too much of the Fruit of Life, and remember little of ancient matters". Note the "too much" part. Also note the "soul" part, which confounds interpretation further. While the Classified Information from the game says that the S2 Engine and the Fruit of Life are the same thing, we know that the S2 Engine is a fleshy physical body (which happens to reside within the core, incidentally the same place the soul does), so how could a "soul" possibly "eat" one? This almost makes it sound like the Fruit is possibly a spiritual factor that encodes FOR the physical organ, without being the organ per se. Spiritual transfer would also explain why the Angels, who received their souls from Adam's Chamber of Guf, develop S2 engines naturally, while Evas must procure one separately.

I'm as lost as any of you as to how Adam could have "eaten too much" of the FoL, or why this would produce memory loss. This "eating too much of" thing is used to, somewhat flimsily IMO, justify Lilith's presence on Earth, but the game AFAIK does nothing to justify how Adam could have done this in the first place or how Lilith could have pursued Adam to Earth for revenge, especially in light of the game's own claim that the Spears are supposed to act as controls upon the Seeds (which is a behavior the surviving spear suspiciously avoids in EoE). The FoL being used to explain Kaworu's faulty memory also doesn't feel like it takes the intricacies of forced soul transfer (especially after traumatic death) into account.

Those who want the context for all this, my YouTube channel has subtitled videos for Rei and Kaworu's PSP scenarios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6med28mqg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svCqFUyjc8I
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MarqFJA87
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby MarqFJA87 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:55 pm

You know, it's a good thing that I came across this thread by pure chance, because I don't think I would've noticed it otherwise with how rarely I visit this forum. The issue has been communicated to TV Tropes' resident community of Eva fans, and it has been corrected.
"Our magic is not omnipotent. A little bit of courage is the true magic."
–Negi Springfield, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

"Where there is distress, therein lies a story. Where there is a story, therein lies a will. And wherever there is a will, therein lies a soul."
–Evangeline A.K. McDowell, Negima: Magister Negi Magi

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”