[Spoilers] Betrayal

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

[Spoilers] Betrayal

•      
  •      

Postby DummyPlug » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi all,

I was listening to the soundtrack of Eva 3.0, and reading the lyrics of "Betrayal".

SPOILER: Show
I noticed that during Kaworu / Shinji's scene at 4th impact, the song's lyrics include:

Once friends betrayed so ruthless
Now dead his friend and friendship

Once friends betrayed so heartless
Memories crushed to ashes

I guess this is a reference to Kaworu and Shinji's friendship and betrayal. But this seems to make more sense in the context of NGE, and not Rebuild. I don't see how Kaworu betrayed Shinji in Rebuild. At worst I would say he wanted to help him but got betrayed himself. Could this just be a change in script that took place after they had already writtent he song? Or am I missing something?
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: [Spoilers] Betrayal

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:29 pm

It might relate to the things discussed in part 5/6 of this thread, about how the pilots used to be one and Kaworu is misleading Shinji into fusing back together
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

averie69
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby averie69 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:28 pm

I've seen other people say the lyrics describe the events of the "Eclipse" from Berserk. Seeing as Shiro SAGISU scored the Berserk movies, I think it's safe to say that the song was meant for the "Eclipse", but was never used. In 3.0, Shinji betrays Kaworu's wishes and pulls the twins spears out of Lilith, so Anno/Sagisu/someone else saw that and decided "why not, it'll save time and money".

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 am

averie69: So is the idea here that both movies share some crew and involve "betrayal", therefore Q's song about betrayal couldn't have been written specifically for it? Seems pretty flimsy... :um: Unless there's actual behind the scenes info to corroborate the assertion, there's no reason I can see to make it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

averie69
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby averie69 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:29 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:averie69: So is the idea here that both movies share some crew and involve "betrayal", therefore Q's song about betrayal couldn't have been written specifically for it? Seems pretty flimsy... :um: Unless there's actual behind the scenes info to corroborate the assertion, there's no reason I can see to make it.

It's the best I've got. I think it's best not to think too deeply about the lyrics; most of the time they just consist of things that sound cool, or things so vague, they could apply to many things in the series.

Blockio
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:12 pm

In all fairness, I can see something intended for Berserk being used in Eva and vice versa; however if that were the case, I wouldn't attribute a lot of significance to the lyrics
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”