Release Date: January 23, 2021 [DELAYED]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
PBL_256
Embryo

Re: Release Date: January 23, 2021

•      
  •      

Postby PBL_256 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:54 am

This movie is destined to not come out. This is the real Curse of Eva.

The_Max
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The_Max » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:42 am

^ 'nuff said :D I don't know whats worst: the delay or the spoilers that will come sooner or later since some people already watched the movie :irked:
Hey there! I am using EvaGeeks.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:21 am

I'm already prepared for a possible delay, and probably the khara studio is too. Of course, I wouldn't want that to happen, but it's a scenario we always have to keep in mind.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:48 am

View Original PostThe_Max wrote: spoilers that will come sooner or later since some people already watched the movie :irked:

I hope this doesn't actually happen before release.
I had a nightmare in which I got something spoiled lol. Seems I'm worried enough.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:03 am

View Original PostJoelcrNeto wrote:I'm already prepared for a possible delay, and probably the khara studio is too. Of course, I wouldn't want that to happen, but it's a scenario we always have to keep in mind.
I'm not doing anything other than looking for news or rumors, for the moment it seems that only the bars, restaurants and discos will have restrictions on the closing time .. It seems that they have not yet decided anything on a state of emergency, worrying is the fact that the vaccine in Japan will not be available before the end of February, so personally I believe that if 3.0 + 1.0 is delayed again its date could be Spring or even Summer depending on the number of infections but at the moment nothing is decided.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:30 am

Yeah I haven't seen anything about theaters, but there may be an issue. They will be probably asking people to not engage in non essential activity after 8PM. That's a lot of potential showings lost, and I could see the distributors voluntarily delay if they think they can maximize profits later.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:00 am

@ hui43210 It is really an almost unsolvable problem ... Because even if the film is delayed again there is a risk that in the period in which it should be released, if there are less severe restrictions, the number of infections would rise again and therefore we will be back again to the starting point .. There is no Time Loop in Rebuilds but the Covid loop in real life is what really afflicts this movie saga :um:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:32 am

On a lighter subject.... if Thrice Upon A Time does keep the January 23rd release date are we expecting it to be the film that knocks the Demon Slayer movie off the top spot at the Japanese box office? This little movie that could has been Number One at the Japanese box office for 12 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS!

Putting all the issues of going to a movie theater during a pandemic aside that is a wild achievement.

Fun fact: When compared to the US theatrical market it is currently only beat by a handful of movies that consecutively remained number one at the box office for a longer run - Tootsie (13 weeks), Beverly Hills Cops (13 weeks), and Titanic (15 weeks).

Fun Fact 2.0: I thought Demon Slayer had achieved some longevity award at #1 but in 2014 Frozen was #1 for 16 consecutive weeks!
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/by-year/2014/?area=JP

Fun Fact 3.0: The Rebuild of Evangelion films by comparison only held the #1 spot at the Japanese box office for two weeks (2.0 & 3.0 each) and one week (1.0).

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:34 am

I think Demon Slayer is one of those anomalies that don't usually happen. I'll have to watch the franchise to see what's up.

Btw feeling kinda bad about Eva coming out during the pandemic. Can't shake that feeling.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:44 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:On a lighter subject.... if Thrice Upon A Time does keep the January 23rd release date are we expecting it to be the film that knocks the Demon Slayer movie off the top spot at the Japanese box office? This little movie that could has been Number One at the Japanese box office for 12 CONSECUTIVE WEEKS!

Fun Fact 3.0: The Rebuild of Evangelion films by comparison only held the #1 spot at the Japanese box office for two weeks (2.0 & 3.0 each) and one week (1.0).

It will be very tough to get past Demon Slayer if theaters have tight hours and a limited number of customers.They must be able to attract enough people to be able to compensate for the thick money for the making of the movies, if Anno is good as a businessman if there were too many restrictions on the cinemas he would opt to release the movie when the confirmations arrive that the vaccine will allow to the population to return to a normal life (:|

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:45 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Btw feeling kinda bad about Eva coming out during the pandemic. Can't shake that feeling.

It sucks but we're all in this together.

I had tickets reserved to visit a half dozen countries set for a long planned super all-over-the-globe vacation that would last over 2 1/2 months and the whole trip was gonna start with me going to Japan, my first time, to see the final film in a packed theater.

...Instead I rarely left my home office.

FXArmaros98 wrote:if Anno is good as a businessman if there were too many restrictions on the cinemas he would opt to release the movie when the confirmations arrive that the vaccine will allow to the population to return to a normal life (:|

I'm sure we'll get the spilled tea of all this later but I do wonder how much control Anno has over the release date decision right now.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:12 pm

I'd imagine Toho has the most power on the decision with the film being so close to release. It is their job to get the film distributed everywhere and showing at all the screens correct?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:33 pm

@ TheFriskyIan For me both the Toho that and the Khara are shaking more than us, it is still a bit early to have confirmation I imagine that the Japanese government from now on will evaluate the number of contagions every day, I would not be surprised if the state of alert will be ordered at the end of this week or even in a few hours. Maybe the situation is not so bad so bad as to impose the closure of theaters, of one thing I am sure if due to the pandemic the film does not make as much as the Khara and Toho hope Anno will probably regret having taken so long to decide on this movie.

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:03 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:the vaccine will allow to the population to return to a normal life (:|

As if :uhh:
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:27 pm

@ Heaven Piercing Man I know, by now the world is crap, the economy is struggling a lot, in many possible future scenarios Anno and his colleagues unfortunately will not have the full wallet as they could have if they would have released the movie years ago.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:58 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:when the confirmations arrive that the vaccine will allow to the population to return to a normal life (:|

There was a vaccine for smallpox for 200 years before we finally managed to get rid of it. Just saying...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:07 pm

In my country a doctor said on television that the vaccine starts to take effect only after 7 days after the second injection ... If that's true, I guess we'll need more than 200 years, man ..This movie is cursed.
Last edited by FXArmaros98 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:49 pm

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:does not make as much as the Khara and Toho hope Anno will probably regret having taken so long to decide on this movie.

You can't regret something that wasn't really under your control. If Anno had finished the film earlier, it probably wouldn't have been satisfying for him. And either way, I'm sure they'll make a ton of money. Even if it isn't quite as much as it could have been.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm

I don't know what kind of deal Khara has with Toho and Toei, but I'll bet everything that Khara will get a larger percentage out of home video sales, figurines, and Groundworks/CRC books than they will with ticket sales. Khara will be fine, it's Toho and Toei that have to be concerned about making theatrical exhibitions as profitable as possible.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:56 pm

Heck I'm so happy that the movie will very likely not be postponed, when I read the news I was about to start dancing in front of my computer.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”