“evangelion won’t be understood if you’re well rounded”

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

chocolate_pocky
Embryo

“evangelion won’t be understood if you’re well rounded”

•      
  •      

Postby chocolate_pocky » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:42 pm

looking for the source of this quote said by hideaki anno

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: “evangelion won’t be understood if you’re well rounded”

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:27 pm

Google search for that quote didn't bring up anything remotely related, so I'm guessing that it was at some point made up by someone in an argument about how if you don't like Eva you're just too stupid/not meant to get it as a neurotypical, which people took at face value and spread it as truth
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:22 am

View Original Postchocolate_pocky wrote:looking for the source of this quote said by hideaki anno
Something to this broad effect by someone associated with the production has been mentioned here in the past, but it would probably require just going through and reading the archives to track down where it was recorded and with what provenance.

Any broader internet search would have really to be done in Japanese.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:29 am

Now even businessmen are debating the mysteries of "Eva" in bars. (laugh)

KT - (laugh) For example, Hideaki Anno says that, "Anime fans are too introverted, and need to get out more." Further, he should be happy that non-anime fans are watching his work, right? But when all is said and done, Hideaki Anno's comments on "Evangelion" + "Evangelion" are that it is a message aimed at anime fans including himself, and of course, me too. In other words, it's useless for non-anime fans to watch it. If a person who can already live and communicate normally watches it, they won't learn anything.

http://www.evaotaku.com/html/rcb-tsurumaki.html

Did you mean this?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:53 pm

Interview wrote:Hideaki Anno's comments on "Evangelion" + "Evangelion" are that it is a message aimed at anime fans including himself, and of course, me too. In other words, it's useless for non-anime fans to watch it. If a person who can already live and communicate normally watches it, they won't learn anything.

If that is the source in question, turning that into "won't be understood if you're well rounded" seems like quite the stretch to me personally to be honest
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:55 pm

“Won’t learn anything” isn’t the same thing as “can’t understand” something.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”