Death Note! (I know, I took forever to find this show. But it was worth the wait)

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

Death Note! (I know, I took forever to find this show. But it was worth the wait)

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:26 pm

So, after I got done watching Eva (with the exception of the Rebuilds, which I have Blu-Rays copies now to watch them during Christmas Break! :D ) I was told by some friends on *ahem* VRChat *ahem*, to watch Death Note, since I told them I like "edgy, dark, anime", and it was history from there (though they also told me to watch the dub, it's actually pretty good...REALLY good actually. Even Sub watchers would probably be impressed. :kawaii: )

I binged the show in about two weeks, which is actually pretty quick for me, almost as quickly as I watched Evangelion in like...4-5 days. :rofl:

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW! It's excellent! The symbolism, the characters, the bonkers plot with this sort of "cat and mouse dynamic" (as most fans refer to it as), the soundtrack, it's all just...:w00: (Yeah, I might be a little bit biased. :chuckles: ) The show came out in 2006, it's thirteen years old, and it's still probably just as good in 2019...sounds like another anime we ALL have watched, eh? :shifty:

Now, I'm sure everyone and their grandma has seen the show by this point, but I want YOUR guys' opinion on the show.

What's good about Death Note to you personally or just in general?

...Light and L are just...UGH SO DAMN AWESOME TOGETHER! (In terms of both the show AND the uh...fanservice... :naughty:), that's all I gotta say.

Gotta love Light's laugh at the end of the series though. Seriously, the Italian Dub laugh is ACTUALLY HORRIFYING! :evillaugh:

(I'll make a post about Beastars eventually too. That's a show I'm still watching and catching up on thanks to some OTHER VRChat friends, fluffy bois. :nyao: )
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Death Note! (I know, I took forever to find this show. But it was worth the wait)

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:26 am

Couldn't stand it - dropped it after about a dozen episodes. The sense of casual immorality without consequences was just too unpleasant.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

Re: Death Note! (I know, I took forever to find this show. But it was worth the wait)

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:47 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Couldn't stand it - dropped it after about a dozen episodes. The sense of casual immorality without consequences was just too unpleasant.

Totally get it, it's sort of an "emo's anime" in my view.

I almost imagine the show being a mentally deranged person trying to communicate to a therapist, and they're making very little sense.

(That comparison itself probably sounds stupid, but that's just what I think. :shrug: )
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:12 pm

It was tolerable when L was around, but once he was gone it became protracted torture. A whole lot of "I'm going to stand around and think at great length about how clever I am." Yeah, no, that's shitty, unengaging storytelling. I get it, you need to conserve budget -- do it *cleverly*.

The anime turned into such a dumpster fire so quickly that Light had worn out his welcome for me long before his blessed demise. I can't remember why the hell I sat through the whole thing. Might have been a sibling bonding exercise, who knows.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:11 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It was tolerable when L was around, but once he was gone it became protracted torture. A whole lot of "I'm going to stand around and think at great length about how clever I am." Yeah, no, that's shitty, unengaging storytelling. I get it, you need to conserve budget -- do it *cleverly*.

The anime turned into such a dumpster fire so quickly that Light had worn out his welcome for me long before his blessed demise. I can't remember why the hell I sat through the whole thing. Might have been a sibling bonding exercise, who knows.

A friend of mine who watched the show pretty much said the exact samething. "It was good when L was around but it kinda afterwards" was probably what he was saying. I kind of agree with you and him on that, I'd say the ending was what made up for at least SOME of the shit that put in the second half of the show. They introduced WAY too many characters within such a short amount of time (with Near, Mello, and the SPK and all that.) :um:

Speaking on the budget thing: I wonder how the show would've turned out if they had pulled an "Evangelion" for the end of the series, or hell, just focus on the more psychological stuff rather than just the characters and their development in the plot. :chinscratch:

Probably wouldn't work too well, but it's in an interesting idea in my opinion at least. :shrug:

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Earlier discussion here -- thread/1616/Death-Note/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Anime and Manga”