Gainax President Arrested on “Semi-Compulsory Obscenity” Charges, Taking Nude Pictures of Teen Voice Actress

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Gainax President Arrested on “Semi-Compulsory Obscenity” Charges, Taking Nude Pictures of Teen Voice Actress

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 am

The terms of that loan seem so bizarre. So, if Gainax paid the loan back Khara would've received the rights to those two shows at the cost of just the time value lost of the money in between loan repayment? Why didn't Anno just buy the rights to the shows outright? Was Khara not financially sound enough to make an offer to just buy the shows? Seems it would've saved a lot of time down the road with all these legal fees and bad press.

-edit- Since we don't have all the information I suppose the total of the loan needed to avoid bankruptcy could be more than the value of those shows or a certain value wouldn't be paid back in the end but I was just curious.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Gainax President Arrested on “Semi-Compulsory Obscenity” Charges, Taking Nude Pictures of Teen Voice Actress

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:11 pm

This must be pretty depressing for Anno. What seems to have really motivated Anno to come forward about this is that the Japanese media is mostly using associating this case with Evangelion, like calling Gainax "the company that makes Evangelion". I have of course seen it all over Western media as well. I must say this is also something I have suspected over the years, since there were other sources indicating at this sort of stuff. The thing is, this might very well cause some big damage to the image of Evangelion, and affect their earnings for the short or medium-term or even the showings of 3.0+1.0. And of course this all happening right as they begin to drive up the hype for 3.0+1.0. It's a huge potential problem for the whole franchise.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:34 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:At least, we can be sure Aoi Uru won't ever happen, as Gunbuster (thankfully) won't happen.

Both Gaina and Gainax Kyoto are taking pains to make it clear that they are completely dissociated with Gainax.

Currently I think it is Gaina who claim to be on the road to produce Blue Uru and Gunbuster 3 - so whether or not they are likely to happen, this particular arrest should have no particular bearing on the matter.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:47 pm

ANN's version of the article, too: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... ax/.154892

I'm glad Anno spoke up about this. As an aside, seeing Kojima RT the Japanese article was cool, despite these circumstances.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Someone on reddit pointed out to me that this is also compounded with Sadamoto's racist rants on Twitter last August.

post/889609/Sadamoto-fighting-on-Twitter-denying-war-crimes-and-discriminating-Koreans-possibly-falling-out-with-Khara/#889609

Problem is, he is ALSO still associated with Evangelion on people's minds (and in the articles of irresponsible media, in both the West and Japan), so that makes it even worse for Anno.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:02 am

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Someone on reddit pointed out to me that this is also compounded with Sadamoto's racist rants on Twitter last August.

post/889609/Sadamoto-fighting-on-Twitter-denying-war-crimes-and-discriminating-Koreans-possibly-falling-out-with-Khara/#889609

Problem is, he is ALSO still associated with Evangelion on people's minds (and in the articles of irresponsible media, in both the West and Japan), so that makes it even worse for Anno.

The problem with Sadamoto is he IS still working on EVA having done Character designs up to 3.0. He may not have done any new work for 3.0+1.0, but they're still his designs.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:05 am

Also, what are we supposed to think of this?

In fact, Anno revealed, he had been considering producing Evangelion at a different studio at the time, and chose Gainax as the lead studio primarily for old times' sake. (There were in fact only three employees at GAINAX continuously working on the show, with most of the production taking place at the much larger Tatsunoko Production.)

I think this refers to Tatsunoko continuously providing animation for NGE, whereas Gainax staff was there probably on a more on-off, somewhat sporadic basis, considering all the messy production problems they had. I remember also wondering some time ago how some people got their hands on the apparently original cels and other production materials. I am guessing it was because of Gainax selling them off, then?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:31 am

Aside from the artists, it seems like Gainax was always run as a get-rich-quick scheme. I mean, the tax evasion back in 1999 was evidence enough of this, and everything since then only corroborates this fact. Whatever artist that’s still apart of Gainax needs get out quick. There’s no future in what looks like the multi-level marketing of the animation industry.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:35 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:The problem with Sadamoto is he IS still working on EVA having done Character designs up to 3.0. He may not have done any new work for 3.0+1.0, but they're still his designs.

I think 3.0 might be the first time this wasn't the case, but we need the future 3.0 CRC to know for sure.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”