Which Eva character(s) do you have/feel a personal connection to?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

Which Eva character(s) do you have/feel a personal connection to?

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:38 pm

Personally, I feel with Shinji the most because of how unsure he is in life like myself. He questions himself and the world around him, then determines his place in the world because of it...usually in a negative way (much like I do myself. :| )

I've listed many of the similarities between Shinji and I in various other posts, just check around my post history and you'd see how. :wink:

But what are YOUR guys' thoughts? What characters do YOU personally relate to and why. :D

(Also got a tooth pulled today, that's fun. Have to use my phone cause I don't want to.be drooling all over my computer. :irked: )
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Which Eva character(s) do you have/feel a personal connection to?

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:39 pm

For me, its Asuka. You can go digging into the early days of the forum for longer form answers, but the gist of it is that, allowing that her situation was exaggerated for dramatic effect, I could see a lot of my (late teen) self in her.

25-Nov-2020 added
For me, it's Asuka, as elements of her crash remind me painfully of my younger self, even if my demeanour was -- and continued -- much more Rei. Letting go of being "the best Eva pilot" is not easy, even several years older than she was, and with things that ultimately mattered less,
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:26 am

Shinji and maybe to some very little extent Asuka (Whiny and capricious) and to Rei for sometime identical crisis "Who I am? Who I am? Who I am?" and the introverted personna (not that's I am always like this, I can be very loud, bothersome as you can see, and TALK A LOT -I enjoy hearing myself talking :ting: - ) but sometime I just like to sit on the background, say nothing, maybe read a book that's was there, and drink tea if I can. And sometime, just loosing myself in my toughs. Lastly, there is an illustration of a little Rei by Sadamoto, where she is standing in front of a hospital bed (To quote Ritsuko: The place where Rei grow up. -?-) in a medical room, and it's kinda bring back to me some bad memories...
Ban me forever.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:57 am

Asuka because I was an angry abusive asshole in my youth who used to vent my frustration on others as I wasn't happy as I had a horrible childhood. I hated that other people had nice kind normal parents and I didn't, so I bullied them as it felt like the only control and power I had in my life (Even though this form of power is false and an illusion.) I also relate to Rei in how she has to be submissive and very quiet as if you live in an abuse alcoholics household you learn fast that you need to wear two faces one for outside that's the real you and the quite one thats very well-behaved indoors or it ends badly for you.

I also didn't become aware of this till after I'd had therapy and had gained complete calm it's why the rewatch in my 30's was like being hit in the face on so many levels as these were things I'd overlooked in my late teens on first watch.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Very much Rei, and to a lesser extent Mari and Misato (first time I ever saw a depiction of someone actually being happy that their parents divorced, god I wished so much that they would & was so frustrated when they called it off)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm

I identified most with Shinji by far. When I first watched the show, I distinctly remember thinking "This kid is me, in both good and bad ways." Socially awkward, not really sure how to deal with others, but at the same time respectful and compassionate. Those qualities made me identify somewhat with Rei as well.

If I had to say the character I identify with least though, it would probably be Asuka. Watching the show at first, I didn't understand why she was so mean to her close friends, especially Shinji. After Episode 22, I understood the whole thing with her abrasive attitude being caused by abandonment issues, but I still didn't really forgive her for it.

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:15 pm

Ryoji Kaji, not only for my apparent butchering of the english language.
But also because he tried helping the kids whilst remaining neutral in his own way.

He's also interested in answering questions so that part he has in common with most on the forulm I guess

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:27 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
If I had to say the character I identify with least though, it would probably be Asuka. Watching the show at first, I didn't understand why she was so mean to her close friends, especially Shinji. After Episode 22, I understood the whole thing with her abrasive attitude being caused by abandonment issues, but I still didn't really forgive her for it.

With me it was how the way she talked at some point reminded me a bit of the mean girls that used to bully me and like consider me just chilling in the corner some personal insult or something(I guess it's a testament to the quality of the dialogue as well)

I'm glad her character is there especially because of how she embodies this over the top perfectionism is a vice upon our society, but this is something that I feel I've had to reject in order to survive so the fact that she irks me a bit might also have to do with me XDD

At the same time I can't stand it when ppl like over the top bash her, especially in reductive or possibly sexist ways like, being a mean schoolgirl is not a capital crime

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Kendrix, I'm sorry if you feel like I reduced Asuka personnality among many others people, I just did quote some traits of character that's I could find relatable to me. Guess what, I am a sucker for Asuka character analysis (for example, I am in love whit the Asuka analysis even tough I disagree on some points by the now alas dead tumblr "Maya"-something :headscratch: ) and I am in the love too with the episode 22 and the "attack mind" sequence that's I found higly disturbing, worthy of much much more analysis than it get credit for. Retake doujin is one of my favorite work of fanfic on Eva too.
Ban me forever.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:48 pm

No no that wasn't meant towards your post in particular, just reactions in general, like I didn't want to appear like I was getting too down on her
Sorry if it was unclear ^^°

Line
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Line » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:01 pm

I kinda see what you mean...Okay then :thumbsup: But sometime Asuka detractors can bring some good points.
Ban me forever.

Gax
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gax » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Yui! I know she isn't shown much in the TV series or in EOE (I haven't watched rebuild yet) but I find her personality relatable I guess? The empathetic, motherly type. I've always wanted to be a mother so maybe that's it hehe! :lol:

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:13 am

I feel like I can relate a bit to Shinji. I tend to be a people pleaser at times, worry about what other people think of me, and get a little depressed over some little things, more than I need to. Of course, that was kind of like that some years ago. Now I feel a bit like Misato; a little immature for my age, still feel like I could be in high school or college, and can be a bit serious at work.

@silvermoonlight: I’m sorry for what you had gone through there. I can hardly imagine how tough it must have been. But it’s nice how you’re moving on. If you need some help, I’ll be happy to help out however I can.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Javi2541997
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Javi2541997 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:03 pm

I would say Ayanami Rei because her introvert personality. It reminds myself in highscool days where I was sitting in my class with zero friends and no speaking with anyone. Also the way she doesn't like when someone try to get involved with her but she refuses to connect or have a conversation (when I was a teenager I literally act in a way like "I don't want to hang out. I rather being in my house playing videogames or whatever..." "I am to shy to do this"). It gave anxiety when someone in my family invited me to a party and I had to go without interest and interest (full of crowded people).
Now as an adult of 23 years close to 24 I can relate a lot to Ritsuko. The way she totally sacrifice her life to EVA project and work in general. I mean in a way of being a busy person. More job life than social life.
Shi ni Itaru Yamai, Soshite

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”