[Game] Evangelion Battle Orchestra Portable English Patch [WIP]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
scenikeight
Embryo

[Game] Evangelion Battle Orchestra Portable English Patch [WIP]

•      
  •      

Postby scenikeight » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 pm

Formally started work on an English patch for Battle Orchestra Portable today. I figured you guys might be interested in seeing it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIAyN9Q ... e=youtu.be

I suppose I'll just use this thread as a log, although I have the story mode 50% translated already so I'm sure it won't take very long to finish. Perhaps I shouldn't curse it saying things like that though -o-;
The video description has more information on technical issues. Sorry for the iffy framerate in the video, my laptop is a bit bad with emulators.
Essentially I'm at a point where I can replace all the actual text in the game and create new lines when needed, which is shown in the video. It's surprising, the game has literally no protection on its text or on a large amount of its images either. The in-game text is just in .txt files when you unzip the ISO! I've been working on translating it for about a month on and off already, and the only thing that was getting in my way of making it a patch was the game crashing when I tried to reinsert the text, but thankfully it dawned on me what the issue was last night haha. Feedback on what I've done already would be nice as well :)

The major hurdle here is going to be the textures I can't edit (i.e. menu text; there's a bit shown at the very start that is stored in a texture) without working out where the hell they're stored or doing a placeholder mod only for emulated copies using PPSSPP's texture replacement function. We'll see how that goes.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: [Game] Evangelion Battle Orchestra Portable English Patch [WIP]

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:09 am

Are the in-game models of the Eva units saved in a way that can be imported into other programs? Wozzed and Velorex on the discord are working hard on porting all of the official Eva variants to VRChat and gmod, getting the old-style Evas (not to mention the angels and the game-exclusive stuff!) would be a blessing
Edit: Impressive job, of course! Your work is truly amazing
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

scenikeight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby scenikeight » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:48 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Are the in-game models of the Eva units saved in a way that can be imported into other programs? Wozzed and Velorex on the discord are working hard on porting all of the official Eva variants to VRChat and gmod, getting the old-style Evas (not to mention the angels and the game-exclusive stuff!) would be a blessing
Edit: Impressive job, of course! Your work is truly amazing

Unfortunately, I don't have the faintest idea about where the models are stored. They're POSSIBLY the .hat files in the "chr" folder, but I can't find any information on those. I presume it wouldn't be too difficult to get them out if you knew what you were doing given the relative lack of protection on a lot of the game but it's not something I can say for sure -o-; I wish them good luck regardless!
And thankyou! It means a lot :)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:52 pm

Ah, I see. thank you!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

scenikeight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby scenikeight » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:16 am

First "major" update for patch progress, as well as inserting all of the translations for Shinji's story mode, I've also gotten 50% of the story loading screens translated (still no fix for the blue border yet, does anyone care about it?) and have started working on the textures that need translating.

What's translated texture-wise: The names of the Eva units, "Please select a difficulty", the skip event button, and some stuff I haven't found in game yet.
These are running through PPSSPP's texture replacement function. As it stands, this will probably be the way I recommend everyone to play the patch when it's out, as I'm not sure I will have much luck reinserting these textures into the game itself.
RE: The second image there, the text down the bottom appears to be stored elsewhere to the story mode and mission mode text but it may be editable through texture replacement as well, it will just be quite a bit more finicky than these other replacements. Anyone know how to go about finding the actual text inside the game in this instance?

As an aside, I've had to start making some specific localisation decisions pretty early on to deal with the technological limitations. 甲号機 and 乙号機 are going to be translated as Unit-Alpha and Unit-Beta respectively during story sequences, because the game, unsurprisingly, can't read Greek letters. They will be referred to as α and β in textures on the menus however. I hope this isn't a bother to anyone, I'd rather not use the similar English letters a and B here instead.

Kazerus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kazerus » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:42 pm

Do you have the translation available for download?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”