Are the Rebuild series of films worth watching? Should I watch it?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

Are the Rebuild series of films worth watching? Should I watch it?

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:11 pm

So, recently I've finished up watching the original Neon Genesis Evangelion series in both Sub and Dub (the ADV 1997 one, not the Netflix one) formats. But then I heard about "Rebuild of Evangelion" movies, I've heard some good and some bad about them online. But I'm legitimately curious about what YOU GUYS here think. I'm not going to watch them as of yet until the final movie is done and released, that way I can go through and watch all of them without worrying about waiting. NO SPOILERS PLEASE! :mayano:

My questions regarding the series of films:

1. Are they as good, better, or worse than the original series?

2. Are the characters just as well done in the movies as they are in the show?

3. Are Shinji & Kaworu still...you know, involved with each other? (I really thought that was something that was worth expanding upon since we only really got one good episode to get us introduced to Kaworu. I know he's a little more prevalent in the manga, which I'll begin reading soon to hold me over until the release of the final movie.)

4. Are there different actors for both the Sub and Dubs? (I loved the voices for the original sub and dub, and just hope that the actors/actresses are either unaltered or at least got decent replacements.)

5. How much different is the plot compared to the original show?

If you got some answers to these, just let me know! I'll be sure to take a look at them ASAP. Thanks! :D
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Are the Rebuild series of films worth watching? Should I watch it?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:42 pm

View Original Post天使 | Nyo | 天使 wrote:But I'm legitimately curious about what YOU GUYS here think.

Couple of previous topics where the forum has opined on the matter:

https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/19688 ... -rebuilds/
https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/18371 ... -watching/

If you liked NGE and want to see another take on the material from the same team, then watch them. It's not as if it will take a terribly huge amount of your time. Go in with no expectations (and this includes any expectations that will develop as a result of harvesting other people's opinions in advance) and you'll have a better time than if you don't.

Also keep in mind that, forum-wide, there is absolutely no sanction against discussing plot details from the first three films, so spoilers could show up anywhere at any time. If you want an unsullied experience and ALSO want to participate in the online Eva community, I would just get the first three movies out of the way NOW.

But then I heard about "Rebuild of Evangelion" movies

As a bit of trivia, this is not what they are actually called. It was a production title that managed to permanently adhere in the collective imagination outside of Japan. The films are actually called the "Evangelion New Theatrical Edition" series. Since this isn't terribly common knowledge, fans get very confused when they find a making-of feature called "Rebuild of Evangelion" on their Blu-Ray discs (which is so named because, officially, "Rebuild" is lingo for the creation of these films). Around here, though, you'll not infrequently see the abbreviation "NTE" (New Theatrical Edition) get invoked.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:31 pm

> 1. Are they as good, better, or worse than the original series?
It depends on your criteria. The movies aren't being done on a shoestring budget (time or money) as the original TV series, and have the benefit of a decade-plus of computer animation technology advances.

> 2. Are the characters just as well done in the movies as they are in the show?
The movies have less time available than a 26 episode TV series does.

> 3. Are Shinji & Kaworu still...you know, involved with each other?
Playing piano duets together, in fact.

> 4. Are there different actors for both the Sub and Dubs?
In each case, most of the casts reprise their roles. There are new characters in the mix, though, with new voices.

> 5. How much different is the plot compared to the original show?
Sort-of the same for part 1, on a diverging track in part 2, and way off into the blue yonder in part 3 and beyond
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:54 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:> 1. Are they as good, better, or worse than the original series?
It depends on your criteria. The movies aren't being done on a shoestring budget (time or money) as the original TV series, and have the benefit of a decade-plus of computer animation technology advances.

> 2. Are the characters just as well done in the movies as they are in the show?
The movies have less time available than a 26 episode TV series does.

> 3. Are Shinji & Kaworu still...you know, involved with each other?
Playing piano duets together, in fact.

> 4. Are there different actors for both the Sub and Dubs?
In each case, most of the casts reprise their roles. There are new characters in the mix, though, with new voices.

> 5. How much different is the plot compared to the original show?
Sort-of the same for part 1, on a diverging track in part 2, and way off into the blue yonder in part 3 and beyond

Thanks for the info, they seem good enough to see then. I'll just be waiting until the last one comes out (as previously stated) so I can just go through and watch them all from start to finish. As long as the new plot ain't bad, I'm fine with it. We'll see. :wink:
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”