The Three Stooges (translation question)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

The Three Stooges (translation question)

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:03 pm

The ADV dub has Asuka refer to Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke collectively as "The Three Stooges." In the Netflix dub, she says "Idiot Trio," removing the pop culture reference. What was the phrase in the original? Was it a pop culture reference?

Italyzpizza
Adam

Re: The Three Stooges (translation question)

•      
  •      

Postby Italyzpizza » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:39 pm

I believe in the JP version, she also says "Idiot Trio" (バカトリオ).

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:24 pm

EDIT: My original answer is below but I want to rewatch the episode and re-hear her words to figure out which one of us remembers right. I remember her saying "San baka no futatsu" and not "San baka trio" in Episode 9.

(I think) she says "San baka" (三ばか)- "three fools", "three idiots", while the Japanese translation of the "Three stooges" is (三ばか大将 - san baka taishou) or "three idiots general" or "three chief idiots", which a lot of people would simply shorten to "san baka" anyway. "Three stooges" works fine as a translation and a reference, even if Hikari's phrasing doesn't refer to the three stooges. ("Idiot trio" is literal and not nearly as funny)
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:39 am

Worse, she refers to them as「3バカトリオ」(3[san] BAKA TORIO). Hikari also says this in episode 9.

EDIT:
What I meant about Hikari's line:
Hikari Horaki wrote:3バカトリオの2人
san BAKA TORIO no futari
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”