Would you pilot an eva?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

M.Mega
Embryo

Would you pilot an eva?

•      
  •      

Postby M.Mega » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:22 am

Let's say you were given the choice to pilot an Eva. Would you accept or decline?

Personally, I wouldn't. As cool as it would be to kick ass in a giant robot thing, all the pain that would come from physical combat and the large amount of stress from not performing as well as you hope may not make it worth while.
MMega-

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

Re: Would you pilot an eva?

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:00 am

That really depends.
Just pilot one for a time for kicks? Sure.

Or do you want me to put myself in Shinji's shoes? Most probably not.

Mari usually seems to have a lot of fun piloting her eva, even if/when it hurts like hell.
Also the "curse of eva" from rebuild essentially makes you immortal, that *may* be a bonus too.

So it largely depends on circumstances.

MirrorUniverseAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MirrorUniverseAsuka » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:13 am

Would the curse freeze you at your current age or would adults regress to teens?
Kindness is optional, the evil goatee is mandatory.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:39 pm

I want to BE an Eva, wild and free.

Piloting an Eva is what the kids call "problematic" these days. They're giant people that may or may nor have your dead mom inside them, created and enslaved via highly invasive cybernetic modification by a shady secret organization with the intention of forcefully directing human destiny according to the vision of religious nutjobs. Being casually interested in the prospect of "piloting" an Eva is the same thing as saying "oh boy, I can't wait to invade another person's body and use technology to impose my will upon their nervous system while they remain trapped inside a red ball, screaming silently!" You're complicit in the worst kind of slavery. Creating a slave in a lab does not make it okay.

Now that said, we don't completely know what's going on with the NTE Evas, but they're still referred to as "human" (both a 'special' one like Eva-01 and a 'normal' one like Eva-02), so yeah.

Of course, the entire idea of sapient entities being enslaved as "pilotable" weapons is a tantalizing thing to explore in sci-fi, and I kind of wish Eva explored it more... I wonder if it's Anno's own failure to give the idea sufficient enough weight that we have fans pulling a Kensuke and glamorizing the concept even after they know what's going on.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 pm

No because I'm of of the opinion being in an Eva takes a psychological (maybe even physical?) toll on one's self. Getting in/piloting an Eva multiple times must have some unseen effects/consequences as well. Also what Reichu said (funny enough, I would've NEVER thought about the Evas being essentially slaves until she brought it up. You learn something new everyday.).

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:01 pm

Being the Eva (so long as you're free to do as you please) would be better then piloting it. Though if you did pilot it you'd likely become the Eva in the long run anyway so. . .
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:25 am

Personally, for me, I would LOVE to do such a cool thing (basically I'm like Kensuke in a sense, out of jealousy more than anything), however I believe my emotions and mental state would probably affect the piloting of an Eva DRASTICALLY (after all, the nerves are directly linked to the Evas.) It would take A LOT of work to prepare myself for something so...big? I dunno, just having the fate of the world on your shoulders is something that I REALLY don't think really anybody could keep themselves stable over since we all people crumble and usually break down under such heavy pressure.

Basically, being a human being would get in the way, but in the end, I guess Shinji and the rest of the pilots are all human too, so it CAN be done. Who knows. :uhh:
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”