Dreams of a Distant God

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderator: Board Staff

m3m3nt0v1v3r3
Embryo

Dreams of a Distant God

•      
  •      

Postby m3m3nt0v1v3r3 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

There was a dark little flame in her chest that wouldn’t go out. It stoked itself on the pleasure of possessing him, and his kindness was kindling to the fire. No matter what she tried, how she reminded herself of how damned they both were, it refused to die. Pathetic. Utterly pathetic, she thought. But still: she couldn’t help, in her quiet moments, as she lay with him or watched him hum as he cooked for her, as he held her, as she clawed him and kissed him, leaving marks that would brand him as hers, she couldn’t help at these times but to draw inside her chest for a moment and hold the flame in her hands. It burned, certainly, but it was beautiful and it was spreading.

In the aftermath of Third Impact, Shinji and Asuka awake together and settle into the quiet agonies of waiting and redemption. As old friends reappear and their hearts heal, they begin to question the very nature of this reality...

~

I started to post the text of this story directly onto this board but I think I'd have to break it up in ways I don't particularly like and spend way more time than I have fiddling with the formatting, so I'm going to be lame and throw up the links to where it's already posted:

AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/works/20164807?view_full_work=true

FF.net: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/13355264/1/Dreams-of-a-Distant-God

I think I prefer how it looks on fanfiction.net but the AO3 is broken up into chapters, which probably eases the reading of the novel-length fanfic I apparently decided to write instead of a new dissertation chapter.

Heavy on the AsuShin, but Rei and Misato are also viewpoint characters. Not a lot of action, unless you count Asuka throwing up repeatedly. More of a meditation on how to be happy in the face of trauma, guilt, and existential uncertainty. Also, Rei gets hit by a car and everyone drinks a lot, because, frankly, what else would most of us do in the post-apocalypse?

knittinggirl27
Embryo

Re: Dreams of a Distant God

•      
  •      

Postby knittinggirl27 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:25 pm

I haven't finished it yet but so far I really like it. The writing is well done. I can see what's happening clearly. I'm a little less than half-way through and I hope it gets happier.
You took a very realistic approach to how the end of the world would be. Its very sad but that's to be expected. You're braver than me. In my fanfic I wrote about the characters moving on in a world that largely went back to normal after instrumentality failed and all the people returned at once.
Your fanfic is more in keeping with the show. Its so sad but the despair is really well done. I'll keep reading and post another reply after I finish it.
Thank you for the story.

I just finished it. WOW! That was amazing!
It was really well done and you really did your homework. I'm very impressed.

SPOILERS!!!!!

Don't continue reading if you haven't finished it yet.

I am so glad Asuka and Shinji found resolution and some form of happiness together in the end. It was bittersweet and beautiful. They had to go through so much to get it. I loved it.

I feel silly about my fanfic now. Yours is much better. I recommend any serious fan to read it. Fans who are less serious might enjoy mine.
I can't praise your writing style enough. It was clear and the emotion was described perfectly. You're a great writer.
Have you written any novels? Or other fanfiction? I would love to read them. If not that's okay. I know you have a life outside of anime fanfics.

In short I absolutely loved this fanfiction. It was one of the most beautiful I've ever read. You should be very proud. Thank you so much for writing it. I want every fan to read it.

Return to “Fanfiction”