Sadamoto fighting on Twitter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with Khara

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Sadamoto fighting on Twitter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with Khara

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:40 pm

The Wind Rises ignores that stuff just as its protagonist (tries to) ignore it, though it seems to be in the back of his head. The film is self aware about it.
SPOILER: Show
And then at the end comes the unavoidable reminder of war, though yes, the Japanese crimes aren't really shown. But the movie wasn't really about it I'd say. As it is, the movie was already called "anti-Japanese" by some conservatives.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Sadamoto fighting on Twitter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with Khara

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 pm

^ Oh, I know. I'm less calling out Miyazaki for making careful and precise decisions in his stories, and more calling out people for intentionally lacking any nuance or context whenever they try to "call out" someone in a sensationalistic way. Like, Miyazaki isn't even old enough to have been able to have easily talked with actual militant German Nazis in any meaningful fashion. He's a whole 30 years younger than Ishio Honda, a Japanese director that actually fought in WWII at a time when Japan was aligned with Nazi Germany (who also came out of the other end of that war as a pacifist making Godzilla movies). Miyazaki was about 3 years old when WWII ended. By the time Miyazaki would have been able to create and show off manga to any German tank operator still working in the field, the German would have been more weary of Nazis than any Japanese person would have been at the time.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:13 am

∆ Just in case, I was just sharing my thoughts on the matter. Not contradicting you if it sounded like that.
I agree with what you are saying..
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:A German tank operator doesn't have to be into Nazism. Most german soldiers were just send into battle.

Unless the subject in question is known to have nazi ideas right now, in our times.

Late reply but, Carius joined the Nazis of his own accord. Miyazaki researched the hell out of him so he very likely knew.
aaaaaa

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:21 pm

I do like Anno, for the most part. But one thing I find really unsavory about him (and a lot of Japanese creators) is his nationalist fascist tendencies. I mean, Gunbuster is just a blatant wish fulfillment fantasy where the Japanese fight another war and take over the world, and he’s made a lot of comments about how the Japanese are weak nowadays and things were better back in the good old days of war crimes and genocide.

Miyazaki has similar problems too: pretty much all of his World War 2 movies have painted the Japanese as the sympathetic good guys and the Americans as the evil bad guys who ruined everything. I never was a big Miyazaki fan anyways, though. Dude’s seriously overrated.

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:03 am

Purely within an East-Asian context, you could definitely compare Japan to America in terms of its imperialistic past. On global terms however, Japan have pretty valid reasons to dunk on the US.

While I'm replying to ancient comments:
View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
View Original Postbusterbeam#889684 wrote:Miyazaki’s movie The Wind Rises ignores the atrocities of warfare during WWII in favor for a focused look at plane R&D."

Fixed that for you.

Look, we can criticize a lot of these people all day. There just needs to be actual substance to the criticism is all. Miyazaki didn’t high five Nazis. Anno didn’t spew anti Korean vitriol on Twitter. None of their contemporary politically- minded works go anywhere near Japanese Imperialism.

Sadamoto went full Boomer and said some dumb shit on Twitter. He’s a jack ass for doing so. Let’s stop getting needlessly mad over Miyazaki and his tanks and planes stories, or at Anno for being frustrated with government red tape during the Fukushima disaster.

Miyazaki all but literally did "high-five a nazi"; made a manga praising him as a person & then went out of his way to meet up with the guy in person. And once again, this was not a man who was drafted.
aaaaaa

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:36 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:
Miyazaki has similar problems too: pretty much all of his World War 2 movies have painted the Japanese as the sympathetic good guys and the Americans as the evil bad guys who ruined everything. I never was a big Miyazaki fan anyways, though. Dude’s seriously overrated.

All? He made one movie that happened during WW2, and it wasn't even about the war, it was about a mans dreams being distorted and destroyed by war. Far from a positive portrayal of the Japanese military.

If by other movies you're talking about Grave of the Fireflies, which is from Takahata, I don't really see were the Japanese are made out to be good guys, seeing as the military barely even appears in that movie and it is again about civilians suffering because of a war they have no control over.

There are certainly anime with nationalistic tones, like the already mentioned Gunbuster, but I don't see how it is any different from nearly all american war movies (and returning to Gunbuster, those nationalistic aspects are just background, most people remember it fondly, myself included, because it's just a damn good OVA about sci fi and the passage of time, not because the Japanese have cool guns in it).

In general I's say most anime that deals with WW2 does so with a focus on the suffering it causes on civilians, like the before mentioned Grave of the Fireflies, Wind Rises, Barefoot Gen and not on glorifying the military. At most, you see the glorification of the grandeur of parts of the navy, like the Yamato or such, but it is disconnected from the fact it was used as a tool of war. After all, in the Yamato anime, using the converted WW2 ship as a means to destroy only causes more pain to everybody involved.
Or tanks used by cute girls in fun games, like in Girls und Panzer, where it is more akin to nerding out over cool guns than any mean spirited takes on war being cool.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:18 am

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:There are certainly anime with nationalistic tones, like the already mentioned Gunbuster, but I don't see how it is any different from nearly all american war movies (and returning to Gunbuster, those nationalistic aspects are just background, most people remember it fondly, myself included, because it's just a damn good OVA about sci fi and the passage of time, not because the Japanese have cool guns in it).

I mean, I don’t like American war movies either, at least most of the time. And Gunbuster is a good show, I’m not denying it. But when the show essentially shows a “what if the Nazis won WW2” scenario as a utopian future, that’s gonna make me somewhat uncomfortable.
In general I's say most anime that deals with WW2 does so with a focus on the suffering it causes on civilians, like the before mentioned Grave of the Fireflies, Wind Rises, Barefoot Gen and not on glorifying the military. At most, you see the glorification of the grandeur of parts of the navy, like the Yamato or such, but it is disconnected from the fact it was used as a tool of war. After all, in the Yamato anime, using the converted WW2 ship as a means to destroy only causes more pain to everybody involved.
Or tanks used by cute girls in fun games, like in Girls und Panzer, where it is more akin to nerding out over cool guns than any mean spirited takes on war being cool.

I guess you’re kind of right here. But I feel like focusing only on the perspective of Japanese civilians is inherently biased, in that pretty much all injustices against them were committed by Americans. And because of that, the crimes committed by the Japanese (which were much, much worse) get downplayed. No one makes an anime about the Chinese civilians who were slaughtered and raped by the Japanese military, or the Korean women who were forced into sexual slavery.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I guess you’re kind of right here. But I feel like focusing only on the perspective of Japanese civilians is inherently biased, in that pretty much all injustices against them were committed by Americans. And because of that, the crimes committed by the Japanese (which were much, much worse) get downplayed. No one makes an anime about the Chinese civilians who were slaughtered and raped by the Japanese military, or the Korean women who were forced into sexual slavery.

I understand what you mean, it's biased by omission. But, realistically, if one were to try and avoid that bias, that would mean one would never be able to make a movie about the suffering of any nation, because you could just go: "Yeah, but what about the thing they did to the x?"
A movie like Grave of the Fireflies could not, and should not, ever cut randomly halfway to the crimes the Japanese did to the Koreans, because it simply isn't relevant. In that particular case, it being a semi autobiographical tale, it makes even less sense to shift focus to another theme.

It's obviously relevant that the Japanese, and every single other nation ever, did warcrimes, but you can't just force them to ignore or downplay the suffering they themselves had to endure because unrelated people did bad things.
Assuming I made a movie about a German family surviving the bombing campaigns of 1945, would it make any sense to randomly mention concentration camps or something along those lines? Everybody knows they did that, what does it had? If anything, it would destroy the meaning, because some people could simply go: "Oh, but Germany did bad things, why should I feel sympathy for these people?"
It's essentially putting the blame of some individuals on all the people that live in a nation, which is just ridiculous.

To me, these complaints would only ever be important if they made a movie were the setting is the places were the Japanese did warcrimes and they ignored the existence of them.
But a movie about civilians in Tokyo who knew nothing? Nah, it doesn't bother me.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that a movie showing the suffering of only one side doesn't mean it's saying the other doesn't exist. Its not a documentary or thesis, it's not its job to show all sides.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this is going off topic or not. If it is, sorry about that.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:21 am

Justacrazyguy wrote:
I'm not sure if this is going off topic or not. If it is, sorry about that.

I'd say this is still a discussion relevant to the topic at hand, but if it does continue for a while, it might be the best idea to just split it off into its own thread. (I know there are certain political undertones to this discussion, but this is a conversation about artworks first and foremost, so I'm willing to let those be).

Also, I agree that films such as Grave of the Fireflies don't have an obligation to address the horrors the Japanese military afflicted on others during WWII, because that's not what the film's about. And as a matter of fact, I think any film that explicitly shows the horrors lived through by people during wartimes tends to be a pretty anti-war film regardless of what it was intended to convey, simply due to the horrors of war itself. Grave of the Fireflies isn't meant to say the Japanese were unjustly attacked by the US or that the Americans were evil people, it's meant to say that war is a horrible thing and that all the children and people in general who live through one will forever be scarred.

Obviously, events such as the Rape of Nanking are still horrifying and disgusting events that will forever remain as rather big dots of shame upon the country and history of Japan, but I think any film about war that tries to explicitly make comments about the "betterness" of one side in whatever way will have missed the most important thing in any discussion about war, which is that it should never come to pass in the first place. WWII actually has the distinction of being one of the few wars where there are actually "good" and "bad" sides and even then, I don't think anyone disagrees with the notion that the war itself was started for stupid reasons and that it inflicted a lot of pain on innocent beings on both sides of the struggle.

BusterMachine4 wrote:
But one thing I find really unsavory about him (and a lot of Japanese creators) is his nationalist fascist tendencies.

I don't think Anno's a fascist, nothing in the works of his I've seen or what I know about the man gives me such an opinion. Gunbuster is, well, eh, pretty generic in terms of being a popular sci-fi action work in a particular culture and I do wonder how much the world there is really Anno showcasing his opinions and how much it's just something that kind of "goes with the territory", in much the same way Nadia having a happy ending with a few marriages goes with the territory of making an anime heavily inspired by 19th century adventure literature. It's also possible Anno might have been more of a right-winger before than he is now-Shin Godzilla was certainly interested in the good parts of international teamwork and democracy and seemed to be more about moving on and if any opinion on Japanese imperialism can be found, it's that right now the important part is just to make Japan a good country.

Now, I do think Anno is a nationalist and, for that matter, a right-leaning centrist still. However, nationalism does not immediately equate imperialism and I do think Anno's nationalism is more akin to a certain level of stronger-than-usual patriotism. He cares for his country and the people in it and wants to see Japan do well as both a country and a society. He also wants Japan to have some of its military independence back, but that's not either a bad thing per se nor is it really a view only held by right-wingers in his native land.

busterbeam wrote:
Miyazaki all but literally did "high-five a nazi"; made a manga praising him as a person & then went out of his way to meet up with the guy in person. And once again, this was not a man who was drafted.

Do you have some proof of the manga actually praising a Nazi as a person? As the article on the Tigers Covered With Mud manga you yourself linked to, there's a question to be had of whether or not discussing the crimes made by people is actually relevant to the story at hand. Having not read this work, I can't say much about it, but I have a hard time seeing Miyazaki as someone who really is a fascist or has fascism-adjacent views. The Wind Rises is more about a man's dreams of building something beautiful and the cost of that beauty and whether or not making something beautiful justifies the horrible uses of that beauty than it really is about war per se (and the very fact the film seems to consider the usage of the planes made by Horikoshi bad should in itself give away that Miyazaki is not some imperialist). Porco Rosso has the growing fascism in Italy as a historical backdrop against the story and fascism is not portrayed well, with the hero of the film even going as far as to say "Better a pig than a fascist" while Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke don't come off as being supportive of war either. So I don't really get how Miyazaki meeting with a tank operator is proof of him being someone with right-wing tendencies, let alone of him having any political views close to fascism or authoritarianism.

(Btw, the fact that Miyazaki has been in Estonia is a surprising fact for me-but one I'm kind of excited by! I consider him a great master and the fact that our little country has been graced by his presence is cool for me.)

busterbeam
Adam

Re: Sadamoto fighting on Twi The Tigers tter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with K

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:45 am

There is no way around it, man - Miyazaki did "high-five" a Nazi and made an entire manga praising him. His views are far from what the American media and anime fandom would ever be willing to acknowledge.

Looking it up again, Carius was drafted. However, it's very easy to find his complaints about the "defamation of the German soldier in film" and the "desecration" of Nazi memorials celebrating his "comrades" who "fought to be saved from communism". I think it's pretty clear the man was, in fact, a capital-N Nazi and made no attempts to hide it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZCIiXg7wQ

Miyazaki's manga praises the Soviet and Nazi sides almost equally, making sure to point out their hard work, resilience & persistence. I say "almost", because the story is still shown from the perspective of the Nazi soldiers. Its presentation is far from neutral; Miyazaki's the narration (which is clearly intended to be his PERSONAL voice, with many wall-breaks and references to his editor) makes it clear that it wants you to enjoy the historical victories along with the cute cartoony anthro-pig Nazis, to the point of omitting "unpleasant" events from otherwise victorious moments:

The Nazis are the only ones featured in hyper-cutesy scenes like this:

I could very easily defuse the situation by saying "there's no proof any of this is ideological". That Miyazaki is simply a military otaku who appreciates sick tank-operating skills, regardless of who they come from. But what's the fun in that? So instead I'll point out that Anno, Miyazaki's best friend, would beg to differ. he claims Nausicaa "rejecting coexistence" and "bloodying her hands so that her own people would survive" was Miyazaki at his most honest; taking his pants off and showing us his massive erect dong (Anno's choice of imagery, not mine!) http://loopingworld.com/2013/09/27/naus ... -the-wind/

Miyazaki also seems to echo Carius' thoughts on the treatment of Nazi soldiers by Hollywood:

https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/1 ... 4876648450
https://twitter.com/HokutoAndy/status/1 ... 1759673344
aaaaaa

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Sadamoto fighting on Twi The Tigers tter, denying war crimes and discriminating Koreans, possibly falling out with K

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:57 am

View Original Postbusterbeam wrote:There is no way around it, man - Miyazaki did "high-five" a Nazi and made an entire manga praising him. His views are far from what the American media and anime fandom would ever be willing to acknowledge.

When did he make these comics, I'm asking out off pure interest as I know Seuss did some real racist comics, but he later denounced them has Miyazaki ever denounced these sketches?
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:15 pm

I don't think he's apologized at any point, no. Miyazaki hardly strikes me as the kind of man who would.

The manga is from 1998.
aaaaaa

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:27 pm

I was wondering if the accusations of Miyazaki being a fascist were true, but now I feel confident in saying this:

Fuck Miyazaki. I have no respect for the guy anymore. I refuse to support Nazi sympathizers.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:04 pm

Put yourself in the shoes of a German man in 1940. Your country is run by a mass murdering tyrant and his thugs. You know that the Soviet Union is also run by a mass murdering tyrant and his thugs- and you know that if he wins, Stalin will devastate your country and possibly slaughter your family, which Hitler will probably not do. (Certainly your information is also manipulated by propaganda, but sadly, in this case, with the benefit of hindsight we can see that both Hitler and Stalin were absolute monsters.) The decision- even if you weren't drafted- to fight against Stalin is perfectly morally justified. And likwise the desire to not have your comrades that died to defend your country from a monster is justified even if the authorities of your country did immense evil also.
And vice versâ for the Russian man in 1940.

I would assume that every individual German soldier and every individual Russian soldier in WWII was morally justified, or least excusable, in fighting, and can be honored for their courage, until I see specific evidence that they chose to do evil rather than just tried to do the best thing available in a evil situation.

There's no such thing as a nation guilty of a crime. There isn't even an army guilty of a crime. The only thing that can be held properly guilty of a crime is an individual human being, who must be judged within their context.

The idea that Miyazaki endorses Nazis as Nazis, i.e. as a gang of mass murderers is ludicrous. All of his works are as far from revealing or endorsing a fascist, dehumanizing mindset as possible. In every case, understanding the enemy's motivations, their circumstances, and seeking to make peace with them if possible, is of the highest priority.
I remember reading up on Princess Mononoke, assuming the samurai were mere aggressors against Eboshi, and then finding out they were motivated by how Eboshi's industrial activity was poisoning their farmlands. This is not the worldbuilding of someone with a fascist mindset.

Of course, to those with a fascist mindset, the idea of desiring peace with the enemy, of respecting their humanity (which includes recognizing both the good and the evil that they do, and judging them accordingly), is itself tantamount to being the same as the enemy.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:05 pm

I find it kind of a leap to go from "Miyazaki admires this particular german soldier" to:

Miyazaki supporting all aspects of nazism, which he clearly does not. Even if he somehow secretly did, which I do not believe for a second, none of his movies present views that are even close to nazism.
Him drawing that specific soldier like a cute pig and not mentioning nazi war crimes in that particular comic does not a Nazi make.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:12 pm

I share Miyazaki's opinion on Hollywood and its use of nazis/soviets to be honest. Nazi soldiers (germans) were (are) basically the default 1 dimensional enemy in so many productions you start to wonder if there ever was any other achetype of enemy possible. So many many with movies anti-communist propaganda from the cold war era are also frankly ridicolous seen with the eyes of someone living in 2021.
Last edited by Joseki on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 pm

Also let's not act as if those american movies don't have a political agenda of their own.

Many of them glorify militarism, which is how we got the world wars to begin with.

I can think of only one American movie that got the world wars right, and that's Wonder Woman - cause it stuck some imaginary fantasy warrior in there & then had her horrified over the cruelties of modern warfare & the terrifying implications for what humans are capable off rather than being busy with painting any side as the True Heroes.

The Nazis were inarguably the worst & needed to be stopped (& certainly all those ppl who use the victims in Japan or Germany for rhetorical tricks would do good to remember who started the wars (Protip: The Nazis & the Imperial Japanese). The Nazis did it knowing they could not feed the population through it except by pillaging) but lets not forget the Bengol famine.
& by acting like you cannot mention the costs under any circumstance (or domestic freedom fighters! We did try to get rid of him ourselves, there were something like 42 assassination attempts from everything from communists to less crazy conservatives. That's one every few months. Alas for hat blasted oakwood table!) you just leave it as a talking point for the real neo nazis.
It's not too difficult to say "all our cities were leveled, the Americans did shit... and that's still the fault of the Nazis starting the war because did they expect no retaliation?"
I don't think anyone could see Nadia & conclude that it's the work of a pro-nazi or pro military-rule person. It's very remarkable in depicting absolutely unrelenting evil without flourish or comedy, & the protag is disgusted at it & supremacist ideology.

I noticed this when I visited the city of Dresden and thought, "Oh its actually beautiful, that wasn't just a shitty neonazi talking point".
Cause it was just so entrenched that the only acceptable thing to say is that it's butt ugly & any praise is suspicious nazi talk.
Then some leftist spaces made a point of lionizing the guy who leveled it even though even the British soldiers at the time who wanted the Nazis gone as much as everyone thought he was actually unscrupulous even by the standards of the time in ways that uneccesarily jeopardized the lives of the British soldiers themselves.
The city can, in fact, be simultaneously pretty AND a legitimate military target AND that the general went overboard beyond what was necessary to beat the nazis.

Or that you can't praise resistance fighters because they didn't hold pristine modern day views & doing so is immediately nazi sympathizing. IDK but I am super moved and made to think of how horrible those times must have been when I see that quote by that resistance fighter when he drew a parallel to the story of Sodom, and how he wanted to "show god that there are at least 10 just people here so he doesn't destroy us all"
Hearing that they thought that, saying it out loud, does not make me think the Nazis are great.

Nationalism of any kind is a scourge upon the planet, but I'm seriously tired of Americans acting like any resentment against Americans is tantamount to Hating Freedom(TM) or like Western Values(TM) are synonymous with good . The USA is the most feared country in the world. Plenty of people don't like it. That's an indictment on your government, not you as individual people. Confusing your country with your identity is another thing that gave us nazism in the first place.
Most people do not like their government. In Cuba and north Korea, most people do not like their government. I sure loathe the anti refugee BS of ppl in my own country.
Last edited by Kendrix on Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

busterbeam
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby busterbeam » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:40 pm

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:I was wondering if the accusations of Miyazaki being a fascist were true, but now I feel confident in saying this:

Fuck Miyazaki. I have no respect for the guy anymore. I refuse to support Nazi sympathizers.

Miyazaki is not a nazi nor an imperialist.

But he's also not the kind of guy who views WW2 as "the glorious allied Antifa nazi-punchers vs the objectively evil adherents of fascist ideology". My initial post was meant to be very provocative & quite one-sided because the safe & marketable side of Miyazaki, the one sold as a product and a living mascot on US shores, is the only one that's ever acknowledged. I'm not saying Miyazaki is a war hawk; morally & logically, he opposes war & imperialism. Emotionally, he enjoys the aesthetics & stories of war. This is an important distinction to make; it's why the "wow cool robot" meme is so silly. His work is far too ideologically & emotionally complicated and at times contradictory to justify his constant use as a blunt weapon in modern-day sociopolitical culture wars.

I even shared a full translation of the Otto Carius manga with a Youtube analyst making a video about "Miyazaki's actual political views", claiming to acknowledge the parts of him that are often whitewashed (like his later skepticism towards Marxism, for example, and acknowledging he's not exactly a full-blown "feminist" by modern US standards). Yet not even that video-maker wanted to acknowledge Tigers in the Mud (and I highly doubt they didn't get my DM, as their Twitter was far more obscure than their Youtube at the time) - instead, they claimed Miyazaki is a full-blown "antifa" whose flaw is that he "ignores the aesthetic appeal of fascism". Despite very likely knowing that he doesn't.
aaaaaa

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:46 pm

View Original Postbusterbeam wrote:I don't think he's apologized at any point, no. Miyazaki hardly strikes me as the kind of man who would.

The manga is from 1998.

No I guess he wouldn't like I've never been comfortable with him walking out on his sons first film live on TV for the world to see, but that's a whole other issue and more of a form of parenting I really dislike as it's emotionally damaging to the son or daughter.

The reason I asked for the date is people do stupid crap when they are young and people views and ideals do change with time, so maybe the reality was once up on a time he may have been behind this but grew out of it and became a better person.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”