A question about Eva 01's regenerating arm from ep.02

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Captain Crooks
Embryo

A question about Eva 01's regenerating arm from ep.02

•      
  •      

Postby Captain Crooks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:49 am

When I first watched NGE, I taped all the episodes from the original airing on Australian TV. I had a tape with episodes 1 and 2 that I took to a friend's place and accidentally left there, and had to continue taping from eps.3 onwards on a new tape.

This was a mild annoyance but eventually the VHS tape release came out and I bought the first tape to 'complete' my series. Upon watching those first two episodes for the first time in a while I noticed something odd.

The first time I viewed the taped version of episode 2, I am 100% sure that when the damaged left arm of Eva 01 regenerates, it is not missing any armour, but just sort of dangling grotesquely before reforming it's shape as the unseen broken bones reform within.

On the VHS tape version, and every version since, the arm is show with a big rent in the armour showing Eva's actual skin, despite this hole not being visible at all when it is hanging loosely on top of the building when unit 01 is thrown back by the 3rd angel's attack on her skull. Then we see the armour itself regenerate with an orange light, an element never seen again to my recollection in the series.

Am I just suffering from old age here or did I really see that arm regenerate as I first described, and if so, why would they have changed it? This has been driving me mental for 20 years!!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: A question about Eva 01's regenerating arm from ep.02

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:46 am

You're thinking of the way Sadamoto depicted the regeneration in his manga version of the same events. It's exactly as you describe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Captain Crooks
Embryo

Re: A question about Eva 01's regenerating arm from ep.02

•      
  •      

Postby Captain Crooks » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:22 pm

That would make sense Reichu, except... I haven't read the manga! :cringe:

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”