Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:18 pm

kuribo-04 wrote:Would be really cool and I can see it happening. Everything has been so quiet about Shin Ultraman.

I have nothing to base this on but I just feel if Thrice Upon A Time had been able to stick to the Jan 23rd date the Shin Ultraman trailer would've had the set release date. Once Eva was delayed they just went with the vague "Early Summer" in case if a worst case scenario came up and they needed to delay Eva to May or June.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:39 pm

Yeah, they definitely don't want the films to interfere with each other. It's so strange to think how actually they would have come out in different years.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:58 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:It's so strange to think how actually they would have come out in different years.

Lol. That's why I think June 26th is the release date. It's the Saturday exactly one year after 3.0+1.0's original release date AND the first official day of Summer is Sunday June 20th. You can't get more "Early Summer" then opening on the first weekend of the season.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:37 pm

Yes, and June 26 does give time enough for the movie to be seen by a lot of people before the Olympics in July. Sounds about right to me.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:03 am

In potentially related news -- Toei registered https://shin-kamen-rider.jp/ a few days ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:15 am

If Anno is related to that project, it’ll be the most Anno thing he has ever done.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:54 am

Oh I hope not.

Aside from doing a continuation of Nauiscaa as a Studio Ghibli & Khara collaboration ** Conspiracy Below I'd rather Anno do something fully original and not another Annofication of a famous property. Anno is obviously one of my favorite filmmakers and I will watch anything he makes but it does bum me out a little he hasn't made a true 100% original in over 20 years. His last true original was Ritual from 2000. Every feature film since has been a remake or reboot of an established property. They've all been great (okay, I actually don't like his live action Cutie Honey, it's his one movie I struggle with, I think the first act is a lot of fun but the novelty of going so hard on making a live action anime quickly wears out and I have nothing human to latch onto, BUT it's an important film in his growth as a filmmaker and he took a lot of what he learned on that into Shin Godzilla)

** I haven't seen anyone talk about it anywhere cause it was announced on March 8th & got lost in Eva's release but Toshio Suzuki just revealed a few major things:
1. Hayao Miyazaki's final film, How Do You Live?, will run roughly 125 minutes in length, is 50% complete and will likely release in three years. Probably Summer 2024. So that's something to look forward too!
2. Sometime in December Ghibli began early work on a new film. Khara finished all production on Thrice Upon A Time in mid-December. Coincidence? Probably. But what if it's not?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-03-08/ghibli-producer-hayao-miyazaki-how-do-you-live-film-animation-is-half-finished/.170231

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:39 am

I don't want Anno to make a Shin Kamen Rider movie either, but he is one of my favorite artists in general, so I'll end up waiting for any movie he's involved in rather fervently.

If Khara/Ghibli really are collaborating on a new Nausicaä movie, that could be awesome. That and a proper ending to Kare Kano are the only two non-original works I'm interested in seeing Anno do and I know very well the latter will probably never happen. The Nausicaä movie would be especially interesting if it was a continuation of Miyazaki's film, with all the changes to the manga's plot that implies (I haven't read the manga myself, but I've been told the film changes quite a few plot points), for no other reason than that it would make it more interesting than if it was just a simple, straight-forward adaptation of the same plot points. But Anno is Anno and whatever he does will be great. Then again, maybe Ghibli and Khara aren't collaborating or they're collaborating on a totally different project even, so we'll just have to wait and see in any case.

(Also cool that we're getting a new Miyazaki film which appears to be a passion project he's acting rather perfectionist on-I'm very much looking forward to that.)

Also, Shiki-Jitsu isn't an original work either-it's based on a novella by Ayako Fujitani called Touhimu. So Anno's last truly "original" work (put into quote marks because what does and does not constitute as original when talking about art is actually a bit more of a complicated issue in my view and it's undeniable that NTE and Anno's Godzilla film are rather liberal in terms of changing the mythology of the original works and doing their own thing a lot of the time) was actually either EoE or NGE. (Since Love and Pop was an adaptation of Ryu Murakami's novel Topaz II and Kare Kano was an adaptation of Masami Tsuda's popular manga-after that, we're already talking about Shiki-Jitsu and so on).

Sorry if I come off a bit too detailed, I just want to make sure those not that acquainted with Anno's filmography in general will understand this conversation a bit too!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:12 pm

Zusuchan wrote:Also, Shiki-Jitsu isn't an original work either-it's based on a novella by Ayako Fujitani called Touhimu.

True. I guess I should've made more clear I mean original as in not based off an existing film or series from the same medium.
I always forget that doing a film based off a book is still really an adaptation. There's just so much freedom doing the first/only adaptation of a book because no one has done the story in the film/TV medium.

Yeah, what I meant is the last time Anno made a movie that didn't already have a pre-existing TV series or film franchise with set iconography that he needed to pay homage/build off of was Shiki-Jitsu. If someone directs a James Bond or Star Wars movie they have some freedom but there are still set rules and guidelines of the existing series that need to be met. Everything Anno's directed post 2000 has had pre-set themes, images & concepts the film HAD to include/address. While Anno has time & time again proven his versatility and skill at playing within the confines of the franchise he's been given - who else when given the freedom to make a Godzilla movie would use it as a vehicle to make a perfect political commentary/satire that also met all the demands of the series? - I would love to see what he could do with something new that is removed from any pre-existing history. Something where no one would have the history with the project from previous iterations to go "I hope he includes X and why isn't he including Y?" Obviously an "original" would be inspired by dozens of works that came before it. NGE was inspired by countless things Anno grew up on and a viewer can pinpoint them out but instead of doing a new entry in a preexisting series he took all those inspirations and molded them into something that in 1995 was completely new.

I'd like to see if he can do that again. Even though he's been doing a film series the Rebuilds show he's clearly got the drive, ambition, talent and desire to not simply repeat himself. (I have remained good on not learning Thrice spoilers to now but I've heard it's different from what came before and that excites me)

But after 5 smash hit films in a row - and a likely sixth with Ultraman that while he didn't direct sure is being sold on his involvement - I'm sure every company in Japan is offering him their key franchises to play around with.

I personally just hope he says "Thank you, I love INSERT FAMOUS SERIES but I'm gonna see what this wonderfully weird brain of mine can come up with first."

...Though I am a hypocrite because if they announce Studio Ghibli + Studio Khara's presents Hideaki Anno's Shin Nausicaä I would explode.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:37 pm

Ritual is both Ayako Fujitani and Hideaki Anno working through some depressive states.

If we’re citing Anno works based on books, Love & Pop also counts. It was based on an erotic novel titled Topaz II. (The first Topaz book was adapted into a film as well, called Tokyo Decadence. I don’t believe the two film adaptations were a joint effort; rather they were one off adaptations with their own narrative and tonal goals.)

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Gendo's Papa: I get what you mean and I agree that when working with pre-existing material there are certain limitations to what you can do even when you are like Anno and try to do something as new and distant from the previous iterations as possible and logical. I do think that goes for first-time book adaptations as well, since even when changing the plot radically, you'd still have to work within some sort of a more-or-less fixed and concrete set of plot/character beats and themes. Even something like Tarkovsky's Stalker is still quite similar to the source material in a lot of ways. I would love to see an original work by Anno too, it would certainly be interesting! Though like you I do have my own wishes for Anno to take on some pre-existing material nonetheless.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:29 am

Still surprised they didn't announce the Shin Ultraman release date with Thrice Upon A Time. Really felt like good synergy. Ah well, we'll have a definitive answer soon. Maybe they'll update the trailer, which I'm sure is attached to all runs of Eva, in the next few weeks.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:08 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'd rather Anno do something fully original and not another Annofication of a famous property. Anno is obviously one of my favorite filmmakers and I will watch anything he makes but it does bum me out a little he hasn't made a true 100% original in over 20 years.

I guess it's important to note that Hideaki Anno isn't directing Shin Ultraman. It could be that he isn't directing Shin Kamen Rider either. Honestly, I really don't know what he's directing after Shin Eva. I don't think anything's been announced regarding that just yet. Sure, these "Shin" projects are probably the exact projects he's been hinting at for years, and it will still be a major boost to his studio, but, despite that, Anno isn't slated to direct anything after Shin Eva just yet. Perhaps he can direct something else entirely while all these other "Shin" projects are happening?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:50 pm

Looks like the first figures of the Ultraman from the movie will start going on sale in July. Since these kinda collectibles seem to release after the film's comes out I'm pretty certain we should expect the film at the end of June.

Still betting on June 26

I'd expect a release date, maybe even an updated or new trailer, soon in the next few days or on April 1st.
I don't think they'd announce it during that Eva cast greeting on the 28th cause I'm sure they'd want that to stay Eva specific but you never know.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 pm

The movie's been delayed

https://shin-ultraman.jp/news/

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:06 pm

Due to the pandemic impacting the production schedule, Shin Ultraman is delayed from "Early Summer 2021" to an unspecified release window.

(I'm sure they're referring to post-production as the film has finished filming since a while ago)
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

girlifyoudidnt
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby girlifyoudidnt » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:26 pm

They've released a new trailer with the postponement, and surprisingly they've touched up the footage a bit too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJEluJNbPjI

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:31 pm

Ah well. I jinxed it with my last post.

Shinji Higuchi publicly revealed this finished shooting back in late 2019 so the post work really must have been hit hard by Covid. Hopefully it's just a few months and not a major delay. The Tokyo Olympics are still happening - though no foreign tourists allowed - so I wouldn't anticipate it until late August at the earliest.

I do like that the Google Translation says the movie is "In EARNEST Production". It's good they care.

girlifyoudidnt wrote:They've released a new trailer with the postponement, and surprisingly they've touched up the footage a bit too.

It's not raw footage but strangely almost looks like it's missing some of the color correction layers to me. Blacks aren't as deep and colors, like red on the Kaiju, aren't as vibrant. But everything is moved away from the dark green palette of the first trailer. Weird. Will have to see what's up with that.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:18 am

Toho not revealing Shin Ultraman's release date during Shin Evangelion's premiere probably should have tipped us off to this.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:47 pm

That's sad. Oh well.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”