Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 pm

I agree with This looking very much like Anno despite it being directed by Higuchi. Is there any Japanese literature about "Shin" becoming the title for a whole new wave of hyper cinéma vérité filmmaking stylistics?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:35 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
This will be a very curious movie indeed.

And sorry to hear you had a bad day. I hope things pick up for you.

Yes, I'm much more interested now than before. And it was s good distraction!
And thank you!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

SHIN ULTRAMAN: First trailer and posters!

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:00 pm

Haven't seen anyone made a topic about it in here, but both the first trailer and two posters of Shin Ultraman are out today! It looks VERY Shin Godzilla, huh? They're also still sticking with the Summer 2021 release window.

The slightly longer trailer on Youtube with additional shots not seen in the one circulating in social media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK5yejcKCis

Edit: Moved this here from "Film and Video" since this is the designated Shin Ultraman thread.
-Zusuchan
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:40 am

Guess the CGI dislike is just me. I had some problems with the CGI in Shin Godzilla too, but those were small when compared to the over-all greatness of that film.

GhostlyOcam
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby GhostlyOcam » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:25 am

^^^
Not really, I've seen people on Twitter noting the weird-looking CGI monsters too. Although I'd say that the cartoon-y looking designs are purely stylistic choice and the way they clash with realistic environments remind me of the Angels in Rebuild.

Also, I like the intense percussion-heavy music, I wonder it's from Sagisu's score? All Shin Godzilla trailers had his music so if this is the same case, it sounds quite different from his usual style.
Breathe the air, take in the feeling of peace and harmony.

JoelcrNeto
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby JoelcrNeto » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:41 am

^
Answering your question, yes is Shiro SAGISU. It's on YouTube video description:
音楽:鷺巣詩郎
Music: Shiro SAGISU

I'm interested in watching it, I'm not a big tokusatsu fan, but I liked this teaser.
“Like a miracle, life starts with the pain / Forever this will be” — “Heroes of Sand” by Angra.
“É porque nós gostamos de você. Obrigada por conversar comigo. Vem, me dá a sua mão para andarmos juntos.” — Rei to Shinji (Portuguese dub).

EvaGeeks official Discord server

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:03 am

View Original PostGhostlyOcam wrote:Not really, I've seen people on Twitter noting the weird-looking CGI monsters too. Although I'd say that the cartoon-y looking designs are purely stylistic choice and the way they clash with realistic environments remind me of the Angels in Rebuild.

Ultraman had cartoonish-looking monsters since their start in the 70's, even when compared to contemporary Godzilla films. I can totally see that being carried over to the Shin movie as well.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:24 am

If it's a conscious stylistic choice that harkens back to classic Ultraman works, then that's something I can understand, even though I'll still to have to watch the film to see how alright I'll be with it.

As for the similarity to some of the Angel fights in NTE, I'll check if I really did miss something like CGI monsters against realistic backgrounds there when I rewatch it-though the nature of animation means it might not be a big problem in animated works, whereas a literal CGI monster in a literally real environment creates a larger sense of disbelief and weirdness.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:26 pm

So Ultraman question:

I don't know the character or his world. At all. The only Ultraman thing I've ever seen is Hideaki Anno's short film.

So I'm very curious what any fans of the character are expecting or hoping from the film as a fan? Like expectations on what kind of story they will tell? Theories on what the movie is about? Such as the trailer shows the film has at least two monsters but are there anticipations of the film having more?

My interest in the film is entirely built off Anno writing the story and the Shin Godzilla reuniting.
What even is the average Ultraman story like?

Like in absolute simplest of terms Godzilla stories fall into two categories:
A) Godzilla attacks. Humans try to defeat him.
B) Another monster attacks and Godzilla has to defeat it in battle.

Of course there are dozens of variants and no two Godzilla movies are truly alike and the joy of the Godzilla franchise is seeing how storytellers will mold those core idea into something unique. A major pleasure of Shin Godzilla for me was seeing Anno take the Type A Godzilla story and use it as a vehicle to make a very smart and effective political satire/political commentary. I loved that.

I guess my question is should I be hoping for a similar spin but with a superhero story as the basis?

Genuinely curious of what people who are fans of the character are expecting out of this film.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:28 pm

I've wanted to watch OG Ultraman but haven't done so yet.

Maybe this provides some of the info you want as far as Anno's views go:
https://youtu.be/q-mZJ3TXoE8
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:What even is the average Ultraman story like?

Like in absolute simplest of terms Godzilla stories fall into two categories:
A) Godzilla attacks. Humans try to defeat him.
B) Another monster attacks and Godzilla has to defeat it in battle.

Ultraman is a sequel TV series of the original Godzilla special effects director Eiji Tsuburaya's TV show UltraQ. UltraQ feels more like a bunch of short films than a continuous, episodic television series, though there are returning characters in almost every episode. These returning cast members are usually part of a group of scientists and researchers trying to nullify monster attacks. The tone of each episode can change from typical kaiju, to horror, to surreal, to sometimes just plain wacky and silly. As a result, this black & white TV show can feel a lot like The Twilight Zone, but with giant monsters.

Ultraman is a color spin off of that show, reusing much of the same cast and characters, but kinda sticks to a more consistent tone and format of "Kaiju shows up and Ultraman has to defeat it." At least, that's what I've seen so far. I'm still working my way through it. Mill Creek Entertainment has been releasing a lot of these on Blu-ray own North America, and I'm doing my best to catch up before Anno's flick comes out. Ultraman has to literally possess a willing participant's body before he can actually materialize and save the day from the invading kaiju, so that's an interesting twist on the "Monster of the Week" format, and knowing Anno is gonna handle that kind of idea to some extent makes me uber excited to see his spin on it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:58 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Ultraman is a color spin off of that show, reusing much of the same cast and characters, but kinda sticks to a more consistent tone and format of "Kaiju shows up and Ultraman has to defeat it."

Oh, it has returning characters from Ultra Q?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:28 am

Or at least it has returning cast members from Ultra Q. I can't seem to remember from the top of my head. I just remember Hiroko Sakurai's adorable face being in a lot of the Ultra Series. The Showa Era Godzilla movies would often reuse actors, but constantly have them play different characters. Maybe that's also what's going on here. (Akihiko Hirata played a scientist at least 3 different times in the Showa Era Godzilla movies, and it wasn't the same one twice! And that doesn't include all of the non-scientist characters he played in other Godzilla movies.)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:10 am

It's probably that. I just was surprised at an actual plot connection between both. Though technically they are the same franchise.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:05 am

OK, so it looks like it is the same cast playing different characters. Hiroko Sakurai played a reporter named Yuriko Edogawa in Ultra Q, and then a Communications Officer at The Science Patrol named Akiko Fuji. The early Ultra series canon also seems to be about as loose as the Showa Era Godzilla movies were.

Dang, Akihiko Hirata (Dr. Serizawa from Godzilla [1954]) also played a scientist in Ultraman! I’m gonna bump that ahead in my watchlist.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:10 am

Waiting for the INEVITABLE EVA crossover between Ultraman and EVA (maybe even Godzilla throw into the mix since Toho is involved).
The Godzilla crossover was lit (sincerely, Godzilla is another crossover monster in Japan, but it was getting a little bit stale at the time, thankfully Anno revived the franchise in every way), can't wait for what looks like Anno favorite kaiju series get a crossover.
EVANGELION X ULTRAMAN FIGHT
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:47 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:OK, so it looks like it is the same cast playing different characters.

Thanks for the info!

Dang, Akihiko Hirata (Dr. Serizawa from Godzilla [1954]) also played a scientist in Ultraman! I’m gonna bump that ahead in my watchlist.

The Godzilla suit is in Ultraman. lol

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:15 pm

I think the very first episode of Ultra Q also reuses a Godzilla suit, but that one in Ultraman is very obvious.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 am

With Thrice Upon A Time now scheduled to be released on March 8th who thinks a new version of the Shin Ultraman trailer will play in front of the film? Only change is instead of saying "Early Summer" at the end it will have an official release date.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 am

∆ Would be really cool and I can see it happening. Everything has been so quiet about Shin Ultraman.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”