Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:38 am

Nice. Seems to be a few VAs in the top billing? (Maybe I’m wrong?) I wonder what this film will look like if not every aspect is live action actors.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:25 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Nice. Seems to be a few VAs in the top billing? (Maybe I’m wrong?) I wonder what this film will look like if not every aspect is live action actors.

Shoji Kawamori directed some action scenes that were made in CG across a few Ultraman shows in the 00's. They haven't done that much in recent years though so who knows.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:41 pm

Apparently Shinji Higuchi revealed Shin Ultraman has ALREADY wrapped filming and is now entering post-production.
I'm curious to see what a Hideaki Anno script directed by someone else will feel like. I guess Anno's next major involvement in the film will be in tightening the edit.

https://twitter.com/RagoneAugust/status ... 6015997952

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:25 am

Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a tweet showing he met with Shinji Higuchi recently.
He specifically mentions SHIN ULTRAMAN.
Honestly, Cook’s willingness to mention the film makes me think Apple TV+ might have already worked out a deal with Toho to stream the film (and other Toho project) outside Japan.

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1204247021126746112

I wonder how extensive the effects work for this film must be if they’ve already finished shooting, shown some early work to Tim Cook and the film still won’t be ready until 2021?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:25 pm

Wow, that is unexpected. Hopefully makes the film more easily watchable outside Japan.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:35 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Apple CEO Tim Cook posted a tweet showing he met with Shinji Higuchi recently.
He specifically mentions SHIN ULTRAMAN.
Honestly, Cook’s willingness to mention the film makes me think Apple TV+ might have already worked out a deal with Toho to stream the film (and other Toho project) outside Japan.

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1204247021126746112

I wonder how extensive the effects work for this film must be if they’ve already finished shooting, shown some early work to Tim Cook and the film still won’t be ready until 2021?

While it's not impossible due to the absolute blitz from Tsuburaya recently the blu rays getting released in America are through Mill Creek which is a division of Sony right? Although Marvel is also publishing a new Ultraman comic book in January and that's Disney. Tsuburaya could just be spreading it all out.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 pm

This is the Ultraman design the film is going with it looks like:

https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/1205687664994705408?s=20

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:11 am

Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Seems the film mostly avoided issues and is progressing well.
https://twitter.com/JimPluff/status/1260208555388477445?s=19

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:51 pm

Does anyone think if Thrice Upon A Time gets delayed to next year that we might see end up getting Shin Ultraman first?

Wasn't the original plan that once Eva was released Anno would help out in some fashion on finishing Ultraman? I wonder if he's multi-tasking things at the moment.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:25 am

I don't think so. I think everything is getting delayed, even movies years out.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 am

With how quickly JP seems to be opening back up for business I think Evangelion will still come out first. I'm pretty excited for Shin Ultraman and am wondering how lore heavy it will be as well. Heck, it's entirely possible to take something from the original and turn it into some deep lore like the example of the Antlar alien race worshipping a dogu statue that ended up being Ultraman Noa decades later who was shown travelling through time. I realize Shin Godzilla didn't have a bunch of lore but with the Ultra's being aliens I can't help but wonder if he'll just be an invader or something more. Even if it's completely divorced from all the Ultra series it might end up having an effect on the series like Ultraman the First leading into Ultraman Nexus. I just want it to come out!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Deadline just reported this:

https://deadline.com/2020/07/ultraman-north-american-streaming-shout-factory-mill-creek-distribution-deal-1202982694/

Apparently Shout Factory also has their own streaming service (more streaming?!), Shout Factory TV!, and they just singed a deal with Tsuburaya Productions to bring all(?) existing Ultraman to North America. I haven't seen any Ultraman but that's a pretty cool get.
I also wonder if after running through the scheduled release if Shin Ultraman will end up there for streaming unless if Netflix of AppleTV jump on the movie first?

I guess Shout Factory TV is a free streaming service with ads. There might be a paid subscription without ads. I didn't look.
http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/faq

Mr. M
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. M » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:If he's supposed to write a SEQUEL, the deviations introduced in the first film mean the manga can't be used as a guide. The first movie narratively merges two entire nations, kills off somebody key to the endgame, and so on.

Wait, where it was said he'd wrote a Nausicaa 2?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:31 am

∆ It's just something Anno really wanted to do, but Miyazaki was against doing sequels.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:40 pm

^ Interestingly enough, Hayao Miyazaki himself is not interested in making a Nausicaa 2 but he has been pretty open that if anyone was to make a sequel to one of his films he would want it to be Anno because whatever he would make would be "interesting".

It would certainly be an interesting and huge project if it ever happened. Certainly sounds like a Shin Nausicaa would join Rebuild, Godzilla and Ultraman as the last passion project Anno has off pre-existing material.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-22/hayao-miyazaki-open-to-nausicaa-film-sequel-by-evangelion-anno

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:57 pm

I wonder if Anno still has interest in doing it. Having read the manga, it does feel pretty Eva, and some elements were very obvious inspiration fot plot elements in Eva (the doll).
Surely this passion led to the (great imo) God Warrior short Anno was involved in.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:38 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:It would certainly be an interesting and huge project if it ever happened. Certainly sounds like a Shin Nausicaa would join Rebuild, Godzilla and Ultraman as the last passion project Anno has off pre-existing material.

It would make me wonder, if Anno ever were to do it, if he would make a true sequel to the original movie or if he would do an adaptation of the original manga?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:46 am

So with Evangelion: 3.0+1.0 Thrice Upon A Time set for a January 23, 2021 release date I'm gonna predict that's when the world will get their first glimpse of a Shin Ultraman trailer.
Anyone agree?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:05 am

Would make a lot of sense. But has shooting been possible?
Shin Ultraman production is less transparent than Shin Eva right?

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”