Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat May 14, 2022 9:42 am

Been reading on the film and I'm kinda fascinated to learn that:

SPOILER: Show
Shin Ultraman, Shin Kamen Rider, and Shin Godzilla might share a universe? Most people are saying it's confirmed at the end, but it's still early so I can't confirm it's true. If it is true, seeing as the Eva gang end up in the real world at the end of Thrice, I suppose even they might be in the universe too.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Wed May 18, 2022 12:16 am

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri May 27, 2022 3:55 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISjYRdXuNc

First minute was posted by Toho. Interesting to see the "shin" takes on Ultra Q kaiju, particularly Gomess. Does anyone here know what the Japanese subtitles are saying?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 31, 2022 10:13 pm

Thuktun Flishithy wrote:Does anyone here know what the Japanese subtitles are saying?

Saw this translation on Twitter and seems reliable:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:20 pm

North American theatrical release! (Canada only, it seems.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:25 pm

The 2022 New York Asian Film Festival (NYAFF) will be screening Shin Ultraman in NYC next month and Shinji Higuchi will be present.
I don't think a full schedule with times and dates has been released yet but the festival runs from July 15-31st.

https://cinemadailyus.com/festivals/new-york-asian-film-festival-announces-first-wave-of-2022-lineup/

Normally I'd have booked a ticket to NYC already but 2022 has not been kind financially. Oh well. That's the freelance life.

Also, I think the entire soundtrack was released on Youtube. I pre-ordered a copy of the disc - should get it next week when it releases - and I haven't listened to all the tracks but I'm sure Ultraman fans - this movie will be my first UltraExperience - will get a kick out of the music and there are some definite Sagisu bangers in there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OknISETB_O0&list=PLY9tfiQmWC_P3cpYQl7IAoUTy6sVq7aJ2

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:03 am

Would be pretty cool if it comes to Spain or Germany so I can watch it.

It's funny this is maybe the first time an Anno film is technically eligible for an Oscar due to the fast overseas premiere...but I think we all know Ultraman won't be on their radar lol. Not like I know what the quality of the film is. Just saying.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:58 am

First 10 1/2 minutes of SHIN ULTRAMAN are up on Youtube for the next 48 hours. Pretty sweet stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7KBM470FF4

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:00 pm

∆ Nice!
Let's see if someone subtitles it too.

First minute and half are subbed.
https://youtu.be/hb2SGuE5l2s

What's funny here is in the original Ultraman, Godzilla's suit was reused, with very slight changes, barely hiding that it was just Godzilla. It seems Shin Godzilla got the same treatment. I like how the first shot is of Shin's eye doing that thing that it does. Also what a rapid fire start to the film. Editing is very Anno, and well, he is credited as editor.

-----------------
Edit:
Just realized Shin Ultraman treats Shin Godzilla like its version of Ultra Q. Ultra Q came before Ultraman, with the second being a sort if spiritual succesor. In the opening to Ultraman, the Ultra Q logo gets substituted by the Ultraman logo each episode. The exact same is done here with Shin Godzilla->Shin Ultraman.

-----
Edit2:
Ultraman DID reuse Godzilla's suit, but actually the Godzilla-like monster is Gomes, which had its origin in UltraQ. So yeah there's more than one not-Godzilla

Also, the way the first minute and a half goes, it's like they're redoing Shin Godzilla, like that film is a pseudo-prequel to Shin Ultraman. Kast monster in that initial montage even gets frozen.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:02 pm

Apparently this is from the Shin Ultraman booklet, can anyone confirm?

Machine translation says Tsurumaki is working on something under Anno's supervision and in Khara after they're finished with Shin Kamen Raider.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:09 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
Shin Ultraman, Shin Kamen Rider, and Shin Godzilla might share a universe? Most people are saying it's confirmed at the end, but it's still early so I can't confirm it's true. If it is true, seeing as the Eva gang end up in the real world at the end of Thrice, I suppose even they might be in the universe too.

Not sure about this, especially since I've been away from the loop about any Shin Ultraman or related news. But if this is true, the "Shin Japan Heroes Universe" thing might be more than a mere merch collab, but that's just pure speculation.

One of the odd details that's bugged me lies in turning the original Ultraman's Shin Hayata into Shinji Kaminaga. The name is really weird when I look up the Kanji for Kaminaga(神永 - God Eternity) and Shinji (新二 New Two,Twice). This sounds suspiciously like Anno and Shinji (Higuchi) playing games with words. The other oddity was having Toho in Shin Evangelion alongside Toei. A Marvel-style shared universe seems superficially plausible for Shin Ultraman, Kamen Rider and Godzilla, although I'm very curious to see if they have some way of squeezing Shin Evangelion into that - or if this is just a result of me having come off of watching Dr. Strange and the Multiverse of Madness.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:16 pm

View Original PostFelipeFritschF wrote:Machine translation says Tsurumaki is working on something under Anno's supervision and in Khara after they're finished with Shin Kamen Raider.

Someone somewhere online did a good translation on it and Anno was talking about how he needs to take a real break cause he's been working non-stop for the past several years - I'm thinking he might not have taken a real break of any kind since starting work on Shin Godzilla or doing the voice work for The Wind Rises - but before he does that he has to finish work on Shin Kamen Rider and then he wants to payback Tsurumaki for all his hard work on the Eva films by helping him create his new project. Presumably this means Tsurumaki is working on some project at Khara right now. No specifications on what kind of project but I figure it's an anime.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:51 am

Thank you!

This sounds like it's an original project. I suppose yet another Gunbuster or FLCL are a bit passé by now. We do have to keep in mind Tsurumaki has also worked on Eva for decades so maybe he doesn't want to come back to it so soon either.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:20 pm

Awesome about Tsurumaki, but hope younger khara staff get to do big projects too.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:59 pm

No idea what the project is but it's most likely a Tsurumaki original.

FelipeFritschF wrote:I suppose yet another Gunbuster or FLCL are a bit passé by now.

Khara likely can't even do anything with those universes even if they wanted to. When Anno wrote his letter a few years ago explaining Evangelion & Khara aren't associated with Gainax after one of their presidents got arrested for being a sexual predator he revealed at some point in the past he'd reached out to Gainax to buy the Gunbuster, Diebuster & FLCL rights and during negotiations Gainax sold the series to other studios.

That's why Adult Swim has been able to greenlight FOUR sequel series to FLCL over the past few years. Two came out in 2018, two are coming out in 2023 and AS can likely pay for as many future sequels as they want as long as they feel it's profitable.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:52 pm

Szmitten mentioned on the Discord server that...

I know people like to think Tsurumaki is the heir apparent to Eva, but he's literally been directing Evangelion for as long as its existed. He has nothing to gain from doing more Eva.
I'm re-researching and there was an unsuccessful attempt to get Gunbuster and FLCL in exchange for a loan from Anno
Gainax is basically now owned by a consortium of Khara, Trigger, King Records, Kadokawa, and Groundworks
FLCL is no longer there as we know

"Gaina" was supposedly doing Gunbuster 3 and Uru in Blue (due this year lol)
Following the takeover:
Gainax confirmed that it has gone through economic turmoil recently, and intellectual property and production materials have been scattered and lost. However, the company reported that the new executives quickly assessed and responded to the situation "while gaining cooperation from related companies, coping with the circumstances, and beginning work on normalizing Gainax's business operations."
And FLCL is being worked on elsewhere, and Gaina seems to have Gunbuster.
Gurren Lagann had its copyrights reset last year so the right people own it
Nadia is probably still NHK
PSG probably free
Tsurumaki's stuff seems to be gone though.
So it's hopefully an original IP Anno is bankrolling that Tsurumaki can keep and not get ratfucked out of again.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:58 pm

This is awesome.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:12 am

Yes it is!

UPDATE:

Looks like tickets are sold out for the showing but the New York Asian Film Festival has scheduled Shin Ultraman to play at the Walter Reade Theater Saturday July 23 at 1pm. I think tickets went up yesterday and if the show is already sold out I wouldn't be surprised if the NYAFF added more screenings of the movie very soon.
I'm not able to travel at the moment but if anyone is in or is going to be in NYC at the end of the month they might be able to get a ticket if they add new showings.

https://www.filmlinc.org/films/shin-ultraman/

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:20 pm

Man is living his dream.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:40 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:[...]

This is awesome.

Just like the prophecy foretold...

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”