Shin Ultraman

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

Re: Shin Ultraman

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:28 am

I do like how they try as hard as possible to hew to the old-fashioned effects and camera angles. Ultraman flying has the same pose as the plastic model they used in filming, just better-looking.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:18 pm

New 80 second trailer. Hopefully someone subtitles it soon so I can have a vague idea of what's going on. I am genuinely excited to see what tone Anno & Higuchi have gone with this. Don't think it's going to be a dark satire like Shin Godzilla and will be very much in spirit with the original character (who I have no familiarity with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XK23KGM-eA

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:14 pm

It does look like it'll be more lighthearted, with some drama in it though. The silly is definitely toned down from the OG show to some extent.

Books to be sold at cinemas:
https://twitter.com/shin_ultraman/status/1515828715544264704?t=Y6khrmrtUHfPF1e71CPCEg&s=19
https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status/1515772036693463041?t=g3H17xH-liwKnlwFDX3DLg&s=19
Some art in the second link, Yamashita worked on this too.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:01 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:New 80 second trailer. Hopefully someone subtitles it soon so I can have a vague idea of what's going on. I am genuinely excited to see what tone Anno & Higuchi have gone with this. Don't think it's going to be a dark satire like Shin Godzilla and will be very much in spirit with the original character (who I have no familiarity with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XK23KGM-eA

I think they're also gunning for some romance.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:57 pm

I watched the 80 second trailer, and from what I can make out so far, the movie will have two Kaiju and one Seijin.

These being Neronga, Gabora, and Alien Zarab.

I’m kinda surprised that they didn’t use Baltan, since he is more popular than Zarab is, but maybe they just wanted to try something different.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:18 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:I watched the 80 second trailer, and from what I can make out so far, the movie will have two Kaiju and one Seijin.

They are almost definitely hiding something. Shin Eva trailers hid Village-3, which is a huge chunk of the film. And Shin Godzilla trailers never showed Godzilla's different forms (though due to some toys it was leaked there would be something other than normal Godzilla in the film lol).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby VUX » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:30 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:
View Original PostVUX#935146 wrote:I watched the 80 second trailer, and from what I can make out so far, the movie will have two Kaiju and one Seijin.

They are almost definitely hiding something. Shin Eva trailers hid Village-3, which is a huge chunk of the film. And Shin Godzilla trailers never showed Godzilla's different forms (though due to some toys it was leaked there would be something other than normal Godzilla in the film lol).

My money is that it could be Zetton, after all, he is technically the most powerful monster in the original series, being the only one that Ultraman couldn’t defeat.
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:03 am

∆ I wonder if they're going for a resolution like that as well.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:03 pm

View Original PostVUX wrote:
View Original Postkuribo-04#935149 wrote:They are almost definitely hiding something. Shin Eva trailers hid Village-3, which is a huge chunk of the film. And Shin Godzilla trailers never showed Godzilla's different forms (though due to some toys it was leaked there would be something other than normal Godzilla in the film lol).

My money is that it could be Zetton, after all, he is technically the most powerful monster in the original series, being the only one that Ultraman couldn’t defeat.

Lordy, considering what we've seen of Shin Ultraman's power (the sheer impact of his landing, him blasting through a small mountain) Shin Zetton would be fucking spectacular/horrifying to watch in action. I wonder how'd he look? Just in line with Tohl Narita's artwork like with Ultraman himself, or would they change him like they've done with Gabora and Neronga?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:11 am

Soundtrack comes out june 22.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 10, 2022 11:36 am

Runtime is 112 minutes.
A solid runtime.

I'm still hoping this will get some kind of super limited screening in countries outside Japan but if Khara really liked how their Thrice Upon A Time release worked I wouldn't be surprised if the film got a worldwide release on Amazon Prime as well.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 am

Yeah, since there has been no word on international releases I wonder if they'll adopt the Eva strategy. Would be cool to watch an Anno movie (even if he isn't directing) at least once at a cinema. If not there is still the chance with Shin Kamen Rider.

112 minutes is shorter than I expected but still relatively long.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 11, 2022 6:50 pm

kuribo-04 wrote:112 minutes is shorter than I expected but still relatively long.

Hey, that's longer than the theatrical versions of three of the four Rebuilds.

kuribo-04 wrote:Yeah, since there has been no word on international releases I wonder if they'll adopt the Eva strategy. Would be cool to watch an Anno movie (even if he isn't directing) at least once at a cinema. If not there is still the chance with Shin Kamen Rider.

I'd love for something similar that the USA got for Shin Godzilla where the film ran a couple nights in several hundred theaters nationwide cause that was a treat. I saw the film in theaters like four times! Sadly, a lot has changed in the theatrical market since 2016 and Ultraman does not have the name recognition in the US that Godzilla does. I'll keep my fingers crossed for something. Even a one night screening in major markets would be appreciated. Though with Netflix having developed a CG anime series and having a new CG movie in development I would bet they have their eyes on Shin.

...I just wanna see the movie.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:37 pm

It's out now, so look out for spoilers if you want to wait for a Western release.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Registration2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Registration2 » Thu May 12, 2022 9:52 pm

So it will be a trilogy huh.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu May 12, 2022 10:35 pm

View Original PostRegistration2 wrote:So it will be a trilogy huh.

It will? What's the source?
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri May 13, 2022 7:04 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
View Original PostRegistration2#935540 wrote:So it will be a trilogy huh.

It will? What's the source?

https://twitter.com/JoshualuisAbra1/status/1525037724742590464?t=ZfK4EQPXIFc-ghy0p8AxCA&s=19

Zoku Shin Ultraman (Zoku=Continued) Possibly directed by Anno?

Shin Ultraseven

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Fri May 13, 2022 11:20 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Shin Ultraseven

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOO

I wonder how he would look? Would they have him cycle through designs based on Tohl Narita's concept art? Would they keep it where he takes on a disguise rather than a host?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Poked my head into Reddit and I guess in the theatrical pamphlet handed out to people who went to see Shin Ultraman - these things are so cool and I wish the bigger movies here in the US did this, like I would kill to get an Avatar: The Way of Water theatrical booklet this December - there's an essay from Hideaki Anno.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultraman/comments/uols9e/annos_memorandum_from_shin_ultramans_design_book/

And the reddit post is based off this tweet :
https://twitter.com/rittublog/status/1524996278345531393

It's a lengthy and personal memo where Anno goes into his thoughts, both positive and negative, about the development of the film - sounds like he was so busy with work on Thrice Upon A Time & Kamen Ride that his involvement in the film was mainly all in pre-production, that he was never on the Shin Ultraman set and aside from offering some notes after an early screening he had no time to take part in post-production - and I hope someone soon thoroughly translates it.

Apparently though one thing he does say is
SPOILER: Show
he hopes the Ultraman film makes a lot of profit because he wants a large budget for Shin Ultraman 2 which he wants to write and direct.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:06 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I wish the bigger movies here in the US did this, like I would kill to get an Avatar: The Way of Water theatrical booklet this December[/i]

Same here.

It seems Annonisn't satisfied with the film? And of course he's brutally honest lol.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”