What is postinstrumentality existence?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CATO
Adam

What is postinstrumentality existence?

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 pm

I have searched the archives to the best of my ability and I haven't found much on the topic. Is there any hint whatsoever (including associated media) of how postinstrumentality existence would look like, particularly in the SEELE scenario? I am interested on the actual minutiae of the process and not what it represents philosophically per se.

Do all souls/minds become part of a giant organic consciousness? Are they still self aware? Can they cooperate and create a virtual surrounding to exist?
Do all humans become a giant being, drifting in space, but without any real agency or self awareness?
Or do all boundaries truly break apart, and souls become part of the quantum particle soup, eliminating boundaries and suffering by death?

I always thought SEELE had plans of retaining some degree of self awareness after evolution through instrumentality but, after my rewatch of the series, all the talk about cleansing humanity's sin and breaking of boundaries is making me question that.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: What is postinstrumentality existence?

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:33 am

Whatever the details were, SEELE's aim would be that individuality would be completely destroyed, and all souls would be fused together into a single entity that feels no loneliness or sadness (or happiness). Something that would be so 'perfect' that it would have no need, or drive, to do anything.

They essentially wanted to kill everyone.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

viperzero
Embryo

Re: What is postinstrumentality existence?

•      
  •      

Postby viperzero » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:18 am

Seele thinks the Ego is sort of constructed thing for dealing with other people, it wouldn't necessarily be death but a return to a state of infancy.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”