You’re put in charge of the 4kids dub of this show...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Ghdust
Embryo

You’re put in charge of the 4kids dub of this show...

•      
  •      

Postby Ghdust » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:49 am

Say you get put in charge of a hypothetical 4Kids Entertainment dub of Eva. Nothing has to be changed except A: the cast must now have westernized names, and B: The setting is changed from post-apocalyptic Japan to somewhere else of your choice.

Where would you move the setting and what “Western” names would you give the characters?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: You’re put in charge of the 4kids dub of this show...

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am

I'd quit my job in protest because the media is already american-centered enough and American youngsters would do well to learn to emphasize with ppl in other countries, many of them don't even learn a single foreign language.

Obviously not ALL Americans see every halfway decent person you know, american culture has many cool parts about it etc, but there's enough such ppl to cause a problem. They even treat us Europeans like fucking vassals or theme park jokes and we're supposed to be a 'related' culture, never mind the whole rest of the world! Everyone gets American TV but Americans can't suffer a single show with foreigners in it?
I mean there's nothing wrong with watching stuff from your own country because you like it and they depict things more than your own life,lots of good media comes from the USA, but to take a foreign show and americanize it is a whole different matter - it's like you don't want kids to know that other countries also make good TV...
You can kinda forgive it with stuff aimed at preschoolers because it's supposed to be fun not social studies class but even that is getting kinda obsolete these days

My Ex-boyfriend (He was Indian) and I once concluded that we each got most of the misinformation about each other's countries from USA media...

But if we were to humor the Premise:

Obviously it would need to be somewhere with Water/ Coastline and large cities, and you'd want to keep names with similar connotations and meanings sorta like what the Phoenix Wright localization did. Insofar as I know the USA has two mayor coastlines all full of cities. The Pacific coast has some of the high tech industry places doesn't it? So maybe that'd be a good place for Mad Science (TM), giant monsters approaching from the sea is a must.

So Shinji would get some 'everyman' name with some subtle 'religious' connotations ('John' perhaps?), whereas Kaworu would have to get something old-timesy sounding that invokes romantic heroism (maybe something Olde English or Celtic sounding). idk if you could manage to translate the aquatic theme I don't know enough about 'merrican ship naming conventions, but isn't it mostly girl's names?
I think a few of those cringey LAEM sketches tried to go with "Kate Rose" for Asuka which kinda fits like it should be a name that makes you smell the 'conventionally attractive' XD Perhaps Rei could get 'Phoebe' or 'Diana' bc Moon

Or, how about putting everything in Europe/Africa/India/Latin America etc? Makes just as much or just as little sense. Maybe Africa would be a stretch given the character designs but they're stylized enough for everything else to work XD Move everyone to Wilhelmshaven or Bremen! Touji gets to be Turkish or Syrian. Hikari gets some stereotypical good girl name like "Annemarie" or "Lisa". Kaworu gets names for some medieval minstrel. Amusing local accents for everyone! Sounds ridiculous right

I mean in -universe they're in Japan because that's where the black moon ended up by random plate tectonics, so it could have happened just about everywhere else.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Seeing this thread, I'm immediately reminded of this parody of what a 4kidz Evangelion opening would be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Pfff it actually got some nice rythm thats probably the worst XD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:16 am

INT. COCKPIT

LIQUID fills the Eva cockpit. Shinji quickly holds his breath to keep from drowning.

Ritsuko: That's LCL, it'll oxygenate your lungs directly.

Shinji exhales, then gulps in breaths of the LCL LIQUID.

Shinji: I feel sick.

Misato: Shut up, you're a man, aren't you?

Shinji doesn't seemed to empowered by that answer.

Maya: All clear.

Rituko: Ready for launch.

Misato: Evangelion Unit 01, lift off!

UNIT 01 is LAUNCHED up the ELEVATOR SHAFT.

EXT. TOKYO-3 STREET - NIGHT

A METAL DOOT opens up the ROAD and UNIT 01 springs out. The ANGEL notices him and starts advancing.

Misato: Okay, let's just try walking first, okay?

Shinji takes a FEW STEPS with the Unit 01, inching his way closer to the ANGEL.

Suddenly, Unit 01 pulls out a DUEL DISK, ornate with all sorts of YU-GI-OH PLAYING CARDS

Shinji: IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUUUUUULLLEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Shinji and the Angel break several rules to Yu-Gi-Oh as they play each other. Eventually, the Angel is sent to the Shadow Realm.

FransHalation
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FransHalation » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:59 pm

View Original PostGhdust wrote:Say you get put in charge of a hypothetical 4Kids Entertainment dub of Eva. Nothing has to be changed except A: the cast must now have westernized names, and B: The setting is changed from post-apocalyptic Japan to somewhere else of your choice.

Where would you move the setting and what “Western” names would you give the characters?

Finger guns are a must.

WILLE_Coyote
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby WILLE_Coyote » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:02 am

A: the cast must now have westernized names

Shinji = Shawn
Misato = Monica
Asuka = Ashley
Rei = Ray
Kaworu = Cory
Gendo = George

The setting is changed from post-apocalyptic Japan to somewhere else of your choice.

The flooded streets of New Orleans, naturally.
"Unfortunately, we quickly forget the lessons we learned. And then we have to learn them all over again." - Jet Black, Cowboy Bebop

YTPrenewed
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby YTPrenewed » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:59 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:Seeing this thread, I'm immediately reminded of this parody of what a 4kidz Evangelion opening would be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM

This is even better. It contains a whole bunch of cleverly-crafted sugar-coated alternatives (quite literally so, toward the end of it) to the themes of the original show, and far more often are they in the same general direction than they are in that song. (Eg. Recapturing Shinji's initial reluctance to go into battle instead of having going into battle be Shinji's idea.) I honestly think I would non-ironically watch at least the pilot episode of something like this, just to see how inventive they can get with coming up with sugar-coated alternatives to the original's ideas.

As for the setting... does it have to be a western city or can it be just any outside of Japan? I'm thinking if western it should be set in London. Being in the UK would explain them having school uniforms, London in particular is of course the closest thing within it to as an area as heavily urbanized as Tokyo (wouldn't feel like EVA without the train scenes), and the "stiff upper lip" culture would explain some of the characters so carefully concealing their issues. But if just outside Japan is fine, I'm thinking Shanghai, not just in that each are in east Asia, but also that they're even closer to comparably urbanized, and the setting would make the portrayal of sketchy public officials even more fitting. Also, even the little things like having a lot of 7-11s would be a nice touch. (I think that was the kind of convenience store Asuka went to in ep 9?)

BusterMachine4
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:47 am

Well, I don't think 4Kids would have dubbed the show at all. Just from hearing about the reputation the series had in Japan, they should have known that it's not even close to being kiddie stuff. So instead, let's speculate that a company with less over-the-top censorship practices, like Harmony Gold or DiC Entertainment, got their hands on the show.

First off, the series setting would be changed to the fictional "Genesis City," somewhere in California. I choose California for the setting because it has a similar history of nonstop natural disasters as Japan, so the Angels choosing to attack there would still make thematic sense.

I'll place an arbitrary limit that the characters' names must have both the same first letter and the same syllable count as their Japanese counterparts, and name them like this:

Shinji Ikari: Simon Inground
Misato Katsuragi: Melissa Castillo
Gendo Ikari: Gerald Inground
Rei Ayanami: Raye Ambulant
Asuka Langley Soryu: April Langley Sauber
Kaworu Nagisa: Cory Nocturne
Ritsuko Akagi: Rachel Ackman
Toji Suzuhara: Tony Salamanca
Kensuke Aida: Kenny Idle
Hikari Horaki: Hannah Halcyon
Kozo Fuyutsuki: Carlos Fuyutski
Maya Ibuki: Maya Impulse
Makoto Hyuga: Maddison Hugo
Shigeru Aoba: Samson Angle
Yui Ikari: Yvonne Inground
Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu: Katrin Zeppelin Sauber

I'm pretty sure that's every named character in the series. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:12 am

:rofl:

Your name choices are hilarious and sound pretty much like something 4kids would come up with!

If I had to nitpick, it's that you're not using the same syllable count like you initially said. "Kaworu" doesn't become "Cory" easily because all three syllables in his name are clearly pronounced, although you can get away with it for "Asuka" because the "su" often is pronounced as a "ss".
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

ShinKikoho96
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinKikoho96 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:50 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I'd quit my job in protest because the media is already american-centered enough and American youngsters would do well to learn to emphasize with ppl in other countries, many of them don't even learn a single foreign language.

Obviously not ALL Americans see every halfway decent person you know, american culture has many cool parts about it etc, but there's enough such ppl to cause a problem. They even treat us Europeans like fucking vassals or theme park jokes and we're supposed to be a 'related' culture, never mind the whole rest of the world! Everyone gets American TV but Americans can't suffer a single show with foreigners in it?
I mean there's nothing wrong with watching stuff from your own country because you like it and they depict things more than your own life,lots of good media comes from the USA, but to take a foreign show and americanize it is a whole different matter - it's like you don't want kids to know that other countries also make good TV...
You can kinda forgive it with stuff aimed at preschoolers because it's supposed to be fun not social studies class but even that is getting kinda obsolete these days

My Ex-boyfriend (He was Indian) and I once concluded that we each got most of the misinformation about each other's countries from USA media...

But if we were to humor the Premise:

Obviously it would need to be somewhere with Water/ Coastline and large cities, and you'd want to keep names with similar connotations and meanings sorta like what the Phoenix Wright localization did. Insofar as I know the USA has two mayor coastlines all full of cities. The Pacific coast has some of the high tech industry places doesn't it? So maybe that'd be a good place for Mad Science (TM), giant monsters approaching from the sea is a must.

So Shinji would get some 'everyman' name with some subtle 'religious' connotations ('John' perhaps?), whereas Kaworu would have to get something old-timesy sounding that invokes romantic heroism (maybe something Olde English or Celtic sounding). idk if you could manage to translate the aquatic theme I don't know enough about 'merrican ship naming conventions, but isn't it mostly girl's names?
I think a few of those cringey LAEM sketches tried to go with "Kate Rose" for Asuka which kinda fits like it should be a name that makes you smell the 'conventionally attractive' XD Perhaps Rei could get 'Phoebe' or 'Diana' bc Moon

Or, how about putting everything in Europe/Africa/India/Latin America etc? Makes just as much or just as little sense. Maybe Africa would be a stretch given the character designs but they're stylized enough for everything else to work XD Move everyone to Wilhelmshaven or Bremen! Touji gets to be Turkish or Syrian. Hikari gets some stereotypical good girl name like "Annemarie" or "Lisa". Kaworu gets names for some medieval minstrel. Amusing local accents for everyone! Sounds ridiculous right

I mean in -universe they're in Japan because that's where the black moon ended up by random plate tectonics, so it could have happened just about everywhere else.

1. You clearly can't understand what a joke is. The premise is a joke. 4Kids would have never touched Evangelion let alone try to mess with it.

2. Don't you see the irony in your rant? You accuse Americans of making generalisations yet you're the one making generalisations about Americans. Besides, even generalising, most Americans don't care about anywhere in Europe. Aren't Americans seen as people who only care about their own country? Why would they care about Europe? Furthermore, America cares little for non-American media because they make enough of their own. Japan doesn't care about American comics for example because it produces so much manga that it doesn't need to take from the United States' dead comic industry. It's not "xenophobic" or whatever.

3. If you rely on media to learn about countries, that says more about you than Americans. I'm not going to get into how people can't tell the difference between the word "stereotype" and the word "misconception" but shouldn't you be smart enough to figure out basic facts for yourself? Blaming American media for your ignorance is amusingly silly.

Do not quote an entire post. – JoelcrNeto

rokakakaflavored
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rokakakaflavored » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:57 pm

View Original PostGhdust wrote:Say you get put in charge of a hypothetical 4Kids Entertainment dub of Eva. Nothing has to be changed except A: the cast must now have westernized names, and B: The setting is changed from post-apocalyptic Japan to somewhere else of your choice.

Shinji goes by Sawyer
Asuka is Annabelle
Rei is Ridley
Misato is Marysue
Ritsuko is Randall
Gendo is Gunner
Kaji is Kohen
Kaworu is Karl

They are all Appalachian; this is the future of Evangelion.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:52 am

Setting: Canada. Why? Look at the NERV logo, then look at the Canadian flag.

Names:
Shinji Ikari: Steve Ingram
Gendo Ikari: Bertram Ingram
Yui Ikari: Betty Ingram
Kouzou Fuyutsuki: Curtis McDongleson
Rei Ayanami: Rae Ashleigh
Asuka Langley-Soryu: Erika Langley
Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu: Karen Dirigible Langley
Misato Katsuragi: Miranda Conway
Ritsuko Akagi: Gladys Farnsworth
Kaworu Nagisa: Karl von Volkheim
Touji Suzuhara: Earl Harris
Kensuke Aida: Kenny "The Ken Man" Adler
Hikari Horaki: Jenna Jenson
Maya Ibuki: Mary Birkin
Makoto Hyuga: Mack Hulka
Shigeru Aoba: Shawn Hertz
[Redacted]

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:43 am

I think Rei's appartment complex should be called Nazereth,
her last name should be slightly portugese (as Rei means king in portugese) Costa would do as the story is mostly at the coast but means rib a reference of eve.
Rei Gomez would also work (it could be translated as king of men)

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:51 am

Rebuild Back Eva: NERV Baltimore has come online just in time to confront strange horrors rising from the Chesapeake Bay.

Locals from the DC-NY corridor: Simon (Shinji), Eve (Rei), Gerald (Gendo), Edie (Yui).
Hicks from Appalachia: Annabelle (Asuka), Millie Sue (Misato).
Posh girl from Boston: Marne (Mari).
Mysterious boy from Los Angeles: Kimberly (Kaworu).

(Borrowed some of the names/concepts from earlier posts that were already perfect.)

orcot
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby orcot » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Kimberly for a boy?

nerv bae
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby nerv bae » Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:53 pm

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”