Transitioning of episodes

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Transitioning of episodes

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:53 pm

How does episode 24 transition into episode 25 without the existence of End of Evangelion?

Does everyone just go to sleep at the end of the night of episode 24 and wake up on the stage?

How many assumptions do we have to make?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Transitioning of episodes

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:14 am

At some point, Gendo finds Rei in her tank, and says "It's time.", and they head down to Terminal Dogma. On the way, Misato and Ritsuko intercept them and say "Over my dead body." to which Gendo replies "Happy to oblige." The Giant Naked Rei thing happens, only without leaving Gendo behind.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:13 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:How many assumptions do we have to make?

Only that the stage is a metafictional framing device, really. There's more that can be said about the artistic choice than that, of course, but I'm not sure I'm the person who should be attempting to delve into it. We need some film school students to weigh in.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:33 am

[I'll be using the spoiler tags here despite the fact that we're discussing Neon Genesis, as to avoid ruining certain plot elements for the new fans hailing from Netflix]

I remember the screen-filling text saying that there was no time to show what happened between 24 and 25, and implying that
SPOILER: Show
Instrumentality
was the most important thing to focus on with the final two episodes, seeing as how Gainax literally ran out of time because of the incident having to do with needing to scrap and redo an entire episode halfway through the series because of similarities to a real world terrorist attack. What we know for certain though, is that, following
the death of Kaworu, Third Impact came to pass, likely in a similar way as was shown in episode 26', since both timelines show Gendo coming to see Rei and take her to Lilith's body. We don't know how, but it seems, based on the ending of 26, that Shinji was again given control of Instumentality, and went through with it.

I believe that this lack of information connecting the two episodes is a way for Director Anno to tell the fans that, overall, the lore and story don't really matter, or at least, nowhere near as much as the characters, and how they grow and change, as well as the audience seeing this. Had Gainax had the time, and episode 25 covered the same events as 25' and vice versa for 26 and 26', we would only have half the time to explore
Instrumentality and the psyche of our main characters.
Due to this, a LOT of character growth moments and important messages would be cut. The alternate timeline sequence showing
the characters reimagined in any old slice of life anime
would likely have been cut down or even removed entirely.
By making the decision to have the final two episodes focus solely on
Instrumentality
instead of the events leading up to it, Director Anno implicitly tells the audience, "this world doesn't matter. You are using it to run away. The stories of these characters, how I put myself in them, and how you can learn from all of them, is what matters."
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”