Netflix English Dub Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

FelipeFritschF
Matarael
Matarael

Re: Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:38 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Bumping this to add a twitter thread from AWL where she spills some beans

Well, damn, that proves literally everything we've speculated about ADVXNeflix/Khara localization and ADV, ahem, embellishing the fuck out of it. But it goes even deeper than I thought. Jesus.

hui43210
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:37 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Oh amazing, AWL at it with her usual lies again. Move over folks, nothing to see here....

The problem is people believe her BS, including EvaMonkey I gather.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

penguintruth
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Amanda Winn Lee is a decent enough voice actor, but I don't understand her obsession here. It's not even like playing Rei is even a meaty role, vocally (even for Hayashibara).

I still prefer the new dub (more nuanced performances), but yeah, it is a little clunky at times, scriptwise.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 pm

"Obsession" is very much the correct term here. If memory serves me, she's blacklisted from attending a lot of conventions because of her more psychotic episodes.
From what I've seen of the new dub I'll disagree on the "a little clunky" part - the old ADV translation is quite frankly a travesty most of the time and plays so loosely that some key situations are presented in a very different light. Not quite as bad as the EoE dub that completely turns Ritsuko's motivations on its head, but certainly not great, either. AWL calling the script "crappy, awful" only goes to show just how little clue she really has about the show
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BusterMachine4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:13 pm

As someone who's seen the entire Netflix dub with two of my friends (they ultimately decided the show wasn't really their thing), I've got to agree on the script writing being kind of stilted. It's not even something you can point out typically, just a pervasive awkwardness throughout the show. It was clearly written by someone who's not a native English speaker. ADV changed some lines a bit too much (although their changes are nothing compared to DiC's Sailor Moon or Funimation's Dragon Ball Z), but over all their script sounded a lot more natural.

I would personally prefer a bit of a compromise: try to stick reasonably close to the original Japanese script, but have the actual dubbing script be written by native English speakers. Viz's redub of Sailor Moon did that, and it worked wonderfully.

Tumbling Down
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:27 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Not quite as bad as the EoE dub that completely turns Ritsuko's motivations on its head, but certainly not great, either.

What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:29 am

Tumbling Down wrote:What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

I'm a bit mushy on the specifics, but in effect they completely changed the motivation for her actions by making up something new entirely for her backstory, not even bothering to approximate her actual lines
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

BusterMachine4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BusterMachine4 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:18 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

I'm a bit mushy on the specifics, but in effect they completely changed the motivation for her actions by making up something new entirely for her backstory, not even bothering to approximate her actual lines

Well, I looked at Ritsuko's scenes in the Manga dub of EoE, and I don't really see what you're talking about. Ritsuko's lines are almost exactly identical to her lines in the original Japanese version, just acted terribly. I couldn't see any added backstory or changed motivations.

hui43210
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:11 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:
View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:What did the EoE dub do to Ritsuko, exactly?

I don't recall that either. It's Shinji's motivations that get completely butchered. There used to be a good Youtube video about it, but either it's gone, or it's burried under anitube capitalizing on the Netflix rage.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:57 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
I don't recall that either. It's Shinji's motivations that get completely butchered. There used to be a good Youtube video about it, but either it's gone, or it's burried under anitube capitalizing on the Netflix rage.

Yeah I think that was the controversy of Shinji being a fuck boy in the pre instrumentality kitchen scene in the original and then him having a love confession type thing in the dub.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”