Netflix English Dub Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:53 am

I’ve got to be honest with you guys, but I think this dub sounds real bad… like… they spent money on this? :/

It's like they tried really hard to make the dialogue sound "natural" (I guess) but it comes off sounding silly and unrealistic.

Evangelion
Embryo

Re: Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:01 am

Agreed. Personally, I am a fan of the original dub (even though the original English dub itself is pretty bad, I know) but something about this new dub feels... off. Of course the original English dub sucks when compared to the original Japanese dub, and nothing will ever top that. Like you said though, its sounds pretty bland. Maybe it'll grow on me eventually, but for right now I'm unimpressed. :(

At least we have the option to watch it with the Japanese audio track, so there's that.
Last edited by Evangelion on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:03 am

I listened to a few minutes. Won’t be able to comment much cause I’m not interested in the dub and will be rewatching this series (for the 20th time maybe?) with the glorious original Hideaki Anno hired cast. I might occasionally switch over to hear a new voice but I’m a sub person. Has anyone listened to the new Asuka? I will say though I do like that the new Shinji is portrayed by a transgender woman. That’s pretty cool.

But, seeing as Netflix wasn’t willing to pay for the rights to “Fly Me To The Moon” - can’t confirm but one or two people on Twitter said they checked and “Fly Me To the Moon” is still on the episodes playing on Netflix in Japan and if this is true then it wasn’t that Netflix couldn’t get the rights for the song but that they just didn’t want to pay the extra fee for it and figured no one outside Japan would know or care - I don’t think Netflix spent much on NGE aside from the initial licensing fee.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:11 am

Satsuki as Misato? Alright, I can roll with that. (Voice of Misato in English also voiced Satsuki Kiryuin.) Not quite as good though apparently.

Ray Chase was in Final Fantasy XV. Good call by the sounds of it.

Everyone else isn't that great from all reports.
Last edited by Microsoft_Sam on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
My ROFLcopter goes Soi soi soi.

neongenesisvandelay
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby neongenesisvandelay » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:15 am

I mentioned that it feels bland in the original Netflix thread, but to add onto that- this new dub feels pretty lifeless. So much of the character and charisma has been stripped away in favor of rather ordinary, measured voices that don’t feel interesting or imagined, and the general energy is rather dull.

I’m also annoyed that Fly Me to the Moon is gone and the episode titles have been altered (though they may be translated more accurately doesn’t necessarily make them ‘better.’) I understand that some fans have been stomping on the ADV dub’s grave, but this Netflix release makes me miss the old performances tremendously.
Last edited by neongenesisvandelay on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
"You like Huey Lewis and the News?"

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:19 am

Apparently in “that” scene from the start of EOE Shinji doesn’t say “I’m so fucked up”.

He says...

“I’m the lowest of the low”.

.... (:|

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Apparently in “that” scene from the start of EOE Shinji doesn’t say “I’m so fucked up”.

He says...

Doesn't he say that in the Japanese dub?

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:30 am

I'm glad that Shinji and Misato have VAs whose performances, from the very first episode, are wonderful. Both had great VAs in the original dub, but it took them awhile to get into character, and I wanted a dub that was good from the very beginning. I am very satisfied, but I do have one complaint. If they had to take out Fly Me to the Moon, then fine, but did they have to put in that specific song? It's one of the saddest songs in the score and I'd rather it be reserved for sad moments, not the ending of literally every episode.

And speaking of the score, it sounds much more intense this time around. Did they rerecord it, or remaster it, or is this all just in my head?

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:II will say though I do like that the new Shinji is portrayed by a transgender woman. That’s pretty cool.

Personally, I don't care what gender Shinji's VA is, but looking at this from the perspective of someone who would care about this sort of thing, isn't it troublesome that a transgender woman has been cast in the role of a cisgender man? It's like saying "this person is closer to man than woman and should therefore play men." It's not as big a problem as this would be in live-action, because there's precedent for adult women voicing boys in cartoons, but it's still odd, particularly because the actor being replaced is a cisgender man.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Apparently in “that” scene from the start of EOE Shinji doesn’t say “I’m so fucked up”.

He says...

It's delivered very well, though. He says the words through sobs, and it feels like he's struggling to find words to convey his feelings, as opposed to blurting something out. In that circumstance, it makes sense he'd say "I'm the lowest of the low" instead of "I'm so fucked up," but it also makes no sense someone would put effort into what they're saying when they're literally talking to themselves.
Last edited by Tumbling Down on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:38 am

I'm frankly flabbergasted that the response is so negative. This dub absolutely obliterates the old ADV dub, especially in the VAs for Shinji and Asuka, who actually sound like real characters, and not just cardboard exaggerations. There's so much more nuance in the new dub, characters have room to breathe. They don't seem simplistic and exaggerated. They feel like characters with blood in them.

It's like some of you don't even understand some of these characters. It's embarrassing that so many are down on this dub. It's no Japanese version, fine, but compared to the low bar of the original English dub? This is practically the Cowboy Bebop dub.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:46 am

Hmm...

I think the problem is, this can be an interesting opportunity because you could reasonably capture Shinji being *un-masculine* as he is in the original Japanese (in which he is voiced by a woman), because he is a teenager must entering puberty, shy, hasn't hitten his growth spurt etc. However, if he is just feminine, then that nuance is completely lost. Asuka as well, she is such a demanding character and so hard to get right, I really fear there's no way the new dub can come close, especially when Tiffany Grant's performance was the only one that was strong 100% of the time.

I'm also worried about any sort of mistakes in the script itself, if it could introduce new errors.

Anyway, I don't have a Netflix account right now so I'll need to wait for any snippets that come out on YouTube.
Last edited by FelipeFritschF on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I'm frankly flabbergasted that the response is so negative. This dub absolutely obliterates the old ADV dub, especially in the VAs for Shinji and Asuka, who actually sound like real characters, and not just cardboard exaggerations. There's so much more nuance in the new dub, characters have room to breathe. They don't seem simplistic and exaggerated. They feel like characters with blood in them.

It's like some of you don't even understand some of these characters. It's embarrassing that so many are down on this dub. It's no Japanese version, fine, but compared to the low bar of the original English dub? This is practically the Cowboy Bebop dub.

You sound like you've already had time to watch the whole thing, which I think is physically impossible this early in the morning.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:49 am

Apparently there are no subtitles for on-screen text, including the many text captions, which is definitely something missing when compared to the Platinum subtitles.

They also have removed Fly Me To The Moon.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:52 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:You sound like you've already had time to watch the whole thing, which I think is physically impossible this early in the morning.

Sounds like he worked on it.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:56 am

Fine, I merely saw a series of clips, but some of them were important scenes (like the ending of Episode 26). I know the series well enough to know whether I like how they handled those scenes, and felt like they did. It'll be some time before I can go and watch the whole thing with the new dub.

My impression of the new Shinji was immediately that I preferred it to Spencer's.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Fine, I merely saw a series of clips, but some of them were important scenes. I know the series well enough to know whether I like how they handled those scenes, and felt like they did. It'll be some time before I can go and watch the whole thing with the new dub.

My impression of the new Shinji was immediately that I preferred it to Spencer's.

Fine by me. Don't tell people that they're wrong for liking Spencer and co better.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:58 am

Spencer's Shinji was a garish parody of the character, though. An over-emphasis on whininess and whimpiness without the sensitive fragility.

pearisdriving
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pearisdriving » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 am

View Original PostMicrosoft_Sam wrote:Sounds like he worked on it.

Or just hates the original's VAs guts on an almost personal level according to post history.
This dub is very bland and straight up horrible in some scenes. I find the old dub to be pretty bad as well but this one seems somehow more phoned in like the VAs just didn't care. In the old one you can fell some passion even if the execution was bad to mediocre. In this one the VAs are just "imma go to work read some stuff out loud and call it a day" most of the time. Voices don't match all that well but that's 90% of dubs anyway. Some of the acting is relatively decent(especially for the supporting characters). Yui somehow sounds more lethargic and disinterested than Rei. I think the actress forgot she needs to mimic the characters' expressions when doing voices.
The good part seems to be that some of the unnecessary liberties ADV took are not here anymore.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:08 am

View Original Postpearisdriving wrote:Or just hates the original's VAs guts on an almost personal level according to post history.

Way to use your first post to attack me personally. But I guess I set myself up for it, as opinionated as I am.

I dislike the original English dub VAs because I didn't like their performances. I like the new ones because they I do like theirs. As people, I don't know any of these VAs. I have no interest in them as people (unless they're doing really terrible things, then I would condemn them). I want quality work. That's it.

Microsoft_Sam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Microsoft_Sam » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:14 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Way to use your first post to attack me personally. But I guess I set myself up for it, as opinionated as I am.

I dislike the original English dub VAs because I didn't like their performances. I like the new ones because they I do like theirs. As people, I don't know any of these VAs. I have no interest in them as people (unless they're doing really terrible things, then I would condemn them). I want quality work. That's it.

And that's fine. Just don't go acting all high and mighty about it. We all like different things.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:16 am

Asuka's voice makes me uncomfortable. The performance is very good, so I wouldn't say I disagree with it as a casting decision, but she sounds so young that instead of being able to project myself onto her, I'm forced to look at her the way I would look at a child, which changes the way I enjoy the series.

How old actually is Asuka's VA? I checked her IMDB, and I didn't see it.

Also, they're using "big boy" more than once. Are they trying to remove the references to gender roles, which the series (mostly) subverts anyway?

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”