Your response is more confusing than clarifying, in the sense that it barely feels like a response to my post at all. But that aside, three points:
- ADV did not work on the original movies. That was Manga Entertainment. So talking about an "ADV dub" and then referring to stuff in EoE as if it were part of the "ADV dub" is simply incorrect. "ADV" is not another way of saying "the English dub before the Netflix one"; it was the name of a company.
- This so-called "original translation" of yours DID NOT use "I love you" for Kaworu's line. The Genesis subtitles, the oldest ones put out by ADV, in fact used "I like you".
I would refrain from using vague wording like "original translation"; specify the actual version
you're talking about, by name
- "ADV's Subs are older and contain inaccuracies": Reminder that there are THREE DIFFERENT SETS of subtitles by ADV and they are not created equal. The first two are obsolete now, but Platinum is still an invaluable resource.
Hey, sorry again for the semi-late response. I'm here to clear up some of the confusion since I was in a bit of a rush when I first wrote the post to write all the stuff down and didn't really proofread it, entirely my fault.
1. I am aware of the Manga Entertainment Involvement on EoE, I probably just forgot to mention such. I probably just assumed since it used the same actors/actresses from the ADV dub that it was made by ADV, a very dumb mistake, but a mistake nonetheless. I assumed also that it was probably part of the whole "ADV" umbrella also because of the actors.
2. I do know of the existence of the other subs, however, I haven't seen ANY of those versions nor have I done really any research on them (I know of the Platinum and VHS versions, didn't know about the one at all), it would take money and time that I don't currently have at the moment to sift through and give comparisons. I personally wasn't trying to refer to those subs, as I've only seen the Netflix Sub and ADV Dub and I was comparing the two. (the two aren't related really AT ALL, but I guess I just did that.
) I guess those were the two I was trying to talk about in this case.
3. Yes, even the newest ADV sub is technically irrelevant, the Japanese language along with the translations and translators change with time. However, I do understand what you mean with the Platinum version.
4. Apologies for the usage of vague wording, I assumed that since the ADV was the first (as far as I know) to do any translating of subbing OR dubbing that it was the "original translation." When I see the very first version, I see such as the "original version."
5. The version I saw DID say "it means, I love you." I watched the ADV from a typical illegal anime streaming sight (don't recall the name of them at this point.) I will most likely also be using that same site to watch the three Rebuild Movies on there if I can find it again because I believe they had on the site too. I'm positive in this case I was watching rips of the Platinum Edition, because I recall watching the show very vividly, it's only been a few weeks or so since I've finished watching the ADV dub.
Now that's out of the way. I did happen to find an interesting little tidbit about that picture. Now, I'm definitely not the first to see this and probably won't be the last but I thought it was interesting nonetheless: The first two ADV dub translations of Kaworu's line seem to reference a lyric from Fly Me To The Moon in there, perhaps that is a little bit of foreshadowing that went over our heads when we first watched it. Though I guess we've definitely picked up on it by now.
Oh yeah, and about the hate towards the Netflix dub. For me it's not so much the translations or dialogue or anything that bothers me, it more or less is about the actors/actresses in the Dub. As MirrorUniverseAsuka previously mentioned, it sounds like a "dead fish." The reason I like the ADV dub more is that the performances were better, they were more expressive and fun with the way they said the dialogue, and the usage of Asuka using german swears was a fantastic addition to her character. The acting was what the only thing that killed it for me, and THAT'S where my dislike for the Netflix dub comes in. And then I kinda I de-evolved my posts into a mess complaining about something that wasn't even relevant for the main topic I was trying to discuss. I was strictly focusing on acting NOT the translations, I don't wanna get into that because it's a whole can of worms that I wouldn't poke with a 15-foot pole. So...yeah, I really need to just go on Eva discord if I wanna ramble off about stuff I don't have the proper knowledge of. Hope that isn't gonna happen again for a while, heck that's why I'm staying away from the Rebuild Thread.
"Eva broke me so hard...I fell in love with it HARDER. Now I think Shinji x Kaworu is the hottest couple in all of Eva...yeah nothing wrong here." -This Boi
(Youtube: Nario, the one with the Ness Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.
Discord: [λ3]Nyo#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using for anyone who wants contact me outside of the forums.)