Netflix Release General Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Netflix Release General Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:51 am

No Fly Me to the Moon, Director's Cuts included, Death and The End of Evangelion not yet included.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Netflix Release General Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:00 am

"Art vandalism."

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:44 am

I hate people complaining about "Fly Me To The Moon". It's just a Netflix release. I can imagine any physical release would retain it.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I hate people complaining about "Fly Me To The Moon". It's just a Netflix release. I can imagine any physical release would retain it.

Your imagination would be wrong.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:03 am

View Original PostClover wrote:"Art vandalism."

Art crime. What shall be the punishment?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:20 am

I’m watching the first six episodes tonight - basically what makes up Evangelion 1.0: You Are (Not) Alone - and it’s kinda wild that Netflix just doesn’t subtitle any of the onscreen text during Operation Yashima except for a time stamp here or there. Hideaki Anno is doing his Hideaki Anno thing jumping around to all the various elements necessary for the Operation to succeed and that lovely big white text pops up on screen designating what we’re looking at is... and Netflix doesn’t translate it.

It’s an (un)inspired choice.

pearisdriving
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pearisdriving » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 am

At least they put caption subs for the recap part of episode 14 as funny as it would be if they didn't.

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 am

They seem to be missing from almost everywhere else though, that's bizarre.

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:03 am

Netflix have not only removed "Fly Me to the Moon" from the credits. They even have taken it out of the episodes themselves. The versions used in the Kaji walks Misato home scene from Episode 15 and the answering machine scene from Episode 21 are just gone.

I feel like I could take or leave all the other stuff, but this is somehow a bridge too far. We have been given an objectively inferior version. :nono:

I guess I'm glad I still got the platinum collection. It still kind of stings though.
Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:14 am

......Whoa.
You're right.

That's disgusting.

Evangelion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:26 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:......Whoa.
You're right.

That's disgusting.

*while getting choked* H... How disgusting? (I kid, I kid =P please don't kill me)

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:23 am

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I hate people complaining about "Fly Me To The Moon". It's just a Netflix release. I can imagine any physical release would retain it.

Even if that were true, I think is the only release of NGE we're getting in the West for the foreseeable future.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:42 am

OG Evangelion without Fly Me to the Moon is like Bayonetta without Fly Me to the Moon. Is this even the same show anymore? I feel like I’m watching the new Eva movies without any of the shinier animation. (Okay, that last part is a little hyperbolic, but still...)

The silence in the Misato/Kaji scene in Ep 15 makes the scene really uncomfortable. They don’t even replace the music with anything else. It’s just silence.

This has to be a licensing issue.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:57 am

Why are Funimation and Netflix so damn allergic to paying for the rights to Fly Me to the Moon?? I mean, I guess paying the rights for the series doesn't entail paying for certain music but WTF.

HOW do these companies cheap out that badly?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:09 am

Just a heads up for everyone: Death True^2 and End of Evangelion are their own separate listings and aren't batched together with the episodes.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:09 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:HOW do these companies cheap out that badly?

Perhaps it isn't a question of cheaping out. Is it possible that the Japanese license holder for Evangelion arrangements of "Fly Me to the Moon" simply don't allow for international licensing under any circumstances? If that's the case, then money may not be in the equation whatsoever.
Do a barrel roll!

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:09 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Just a heads up for everyone: Death True^2 and End of Evangelion are their own separate listings and aren't batched together with the episodes.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - https://www.netflix.com/title/81033445
Evangelion: Death (true)² - https://www.netflix.com/title/81033473
The End of Evangelion - https://www.netflix.com/title/60024788
Do a barrel roll!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:14 am

View Original PostJB2448 wrote:Perhaps it isn't a question of cheaping out. Is it possible that the Japanese license holder for Evangelion arrangements of "Fly Me to the Moon" simply don't allow for international licensing under any circumstances? If that's the case, then money may not be in the equation whatsoever.

It has been allowed for all disk releases throughout the West. I presume the rights holders thought "ooh, streaming!", got greedy, and got their comeuppance (at our expense).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

JB2448
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JB2448 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It has been allowed for all disk releases throughout the West. I presume the rights holders thought "ooh, streaming!", got greedy, and got their comeuppance (at our expense).

Now this is interesting.

A new official English release of the series soundtrack has been made available on Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/album/0dAQHi4MnkvagbLKQHZdOI

What's especially interesting to me concerning this is that the instrumental and Yoko Takahashi versions of "Fly Me to the Moon" are present, but not the iconic one by Claire Littley. Is it possible that Milan Entertainment Inc. (who licensed the score from King Record Co. Ltd. for the international Netflix release) couldn't secure the rights to Claire's performance of the song from King Records?
Do a barrel roll!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:10 am

Netflix doesn't care what you think of the programs on Netflix.
They just want you spending time on Netflix for data collection that they can sell to advertisement houses.

Netflix spent $100 million keep "Friends" on their service for just one more year.
I'm looking forward to the film but Netflix is footing the bill for a $160+ million Martin Scorsese adult drama and they may be willing to spend millions to run the film in theaters for a few weeks.
Netflix is covering the rumored $200 million budget for Michael Bay's new action flick.
Adam Sandler alone makes something like $20 to 30 million plus per movie and that's not including the production budget.
They proudly shout to the rooftops about their production budget increases by BILLIONS every year.

Even if the rights for "Fly Me To The Moon" were increased 100 fold, Netflix could have afforded the rights to pay for them and it would have been pennies to them.
But, Netflix knew they already had the views set once they acquired Eva and they figured whatever bad press they'd get from not paying for the song rights wasn't worth the small cost because not enough people would notice or care.

The company tested the waters to see where they could skimp on costs in future acquisitions.

If the complaints about Fly Me To The Moon become loud enough that they'd in some way hurt Netflix's bottom line by even a penny I imagine they could quickly turn around, pay the licensing fees, have the song edited back into the show and talk PR about how this was "all a glitch".
Kinda like how Netflix says they don't market their shows to subscribers based on their race or sexuality but because of all the data mining they have on their subscribers that they totally do.

Netflix is the Facebook of streaming services.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”