Evangelion 2.0 Post Credits Preview - Canon Q's and Research

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Amalgam429
Embryo

Evangelion 2.0 Post Credits Preview - Canon Q's and Research

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:57 pm

Hey there everyone!

// This post wont contain spoilers directly, but the comments might. Be aware if you haven't watched the rebuilds already. //

After re-watching the rebuilds for what seems like the billionth time, I finally decided to stick around for the post credits "next time" preview. The music is a banger, so why not? But after watching 2.0 (which might be my favorite one), the episode preview displayed post credits is extremely interesting. It doesn't (or barely doesn't) show ANYTHING from what would come in 3.0, but doesn't really contradict of what happens in it either due to the fact that eva 3.0 takes place so long after.

So here are my questions:

1) Why is this the case. I've heard many ideas, from last minute reworkings to budget (of course) but I really want to hear what y'all think

2) How cannon is this. These events depicted seem critically important to how the rebuilds function, and I think its pretty important to differentiate their canonocity.

3) How much info is there out there about what actually happens within this preview. Is there any extra lore bits out there? How much do we know. I'm super curious.

4) What do we think this preview means for 3.0+1.0. I think with questions like these it's always important to relate to the present

Thanks everybody for all you're help. This has been nagging me for ages.

P.S. While I like to think I understand the original series and manga pretty well, I have yet to devote months of my life into the Rebuild Lore. If there's something i'm really missing here, please be sure to let me know.
"How's it goin?"

"Aha, well, it's going, I guess"

- Kaji

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Evangelion 2.0 Post Credits Preview - Canon Q's and Research

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Nothing is really known about what happened behind the scenes to take us from the ideas in the preview to the finished film. We've been waiting for the big staff interviews in the 3.0 Complete Records Collection to come out, to no avail.

The events aren't canon per se because what you're seeing is just a preliminary mock-up. There was a notorious delay between 2.0 and 3.0 -- plenty of time for conceptual evolution to take place (far beyond the level of change from the post-1.0 preview to the finished 2.0_. Some of what's shown probably corresponds closely to events that actually happened between the films, but you can't take the preview's "word" at this -- you have to look at the finished Q and see what in the preview actually fits. Not everything does, timeskip or no.

Take, for example, "the quickening Eva-08 and its pilot(s)". In the finished film, Eva-08 is just a production model like Eva-02, with nothing special about it (other than being pink, I suppose). Preview Eva-08 is this weird thing with a glowing anchor on its head that's floating above a halo and has two entry plug hatches on its back. Preview Eva-08 became Eva-13, which, similarly, is a haloed thing that "quickens" (it's pulled out of a womb-like appartus) and has duel entry plug hatches. The preview and the finished film flatly contradict each other (though that hasn't stopped some fans from trying to weave conspiracy theories about how Eva-08 actually WAS once this haloed thing that had dual entry plug hatches, and became what Mari is currently piloting for... reasons??).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:07 pm

Has anyone ever considered that the lack of continuity between the next episode preview at the end of Evangelion Ha and the events of Evangelion Q were not a bug, but perhaps the feature?

I mean, the Showa Era Godzilla movies had a couple of direct sequels between it, but even they had terrible continuity within those films and could only keep its story straight enough to tell cool monster stories. Maybe Eva’s lack of strict continuity from preview to film can be read as a throwback to those other giant kaiju series? (Anno did direct a Godzilla movie, after all. He’s probably aware of these things better than we are.)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:13 pm

That's probably a stretch compared to the simpler answer of 'ideas changed'
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:41 pm

True, but that’s usually how the Godzilla series lacked continuity as well. Maybe it’s less a “feature” and more “comes with the territory” when it comes to these types of serial-based kaiju genre films. Ideas change and, whether it’s due to scheduling pressures to release a genuinely entertaining product on time or even just to keep the series entertaining by not having it get bogged down by the less important aspects of its continuity, the continuity becomes strained as the series progresses. Either way, it shouldn’t be surprising to fans of the genre at this point.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:11 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Has anyone ever considered that the lack of continuity between the next episode preview at the end of Evangelion Ha and the events of Evangelion Q were not a bug, but perhaps the feature?

I remember you mentioning something like that before years ago. While some instances in the preview doesn't totally add up, other instances add up too well such as the alternate school uniform for Rei and the Mark 06 descending down into Dogma.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

kuro hazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby kuro hazama » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:05 pm

I am from the start one of the speculators of Unit 08 being refitted only on the note of how Unit 08 is constantly referred as Wille custom on any official designation across all its different armor outfits(considering Unit 02 kai is not being called Wille custom raises questions) and on the suspition that however Third Impact has stopped, Its very possible that one Eva Unit with a double entry system was used(the spears were there, we just dont know if it took one or two Evas to get them there), in that possibility, maybe wille refitted Unit 08 later for whatever reason besides the fact that two Evas are better for them than one.

Anyways I would like to know why Unit 08 is a Wille custom and in what way(hope Its not just the color!)
the eva team

gendo team brains/pimpface
ritsuko team cyborg
Misato team berserker
aoba team undead
hyuga team psycho
ibuki psycho stalker

fuyu team badass

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:28 am

Perhaps it was built by Wille rather than having been taken over when Wille and Nerv split up (however that happened...)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”