I think I've finally managed to put together a timeline of events surrounding the production of 25/26 & EoE

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
eldomtom2
Lilith

I think I've finally managed to put together a timeline of events surrounding the production of 25/26 & EoE

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:57 pm

Tell me your thoughts, as well as pointing out any possible holes.

• The original plan is for episode 25 to be roughly similar to the first half of EoE (25'), with episode 26 being an amalgam of the 25 and 26 that were eventually broadcast.*
  • The original episode 25 is scrapped due to fears it will be construed as a pro-Aum allegory in the wake of police raids on Aum locations after the sarin attack.** (Evangelion did not begin broadcast until six months after the attack, but I presume they felt the events were still too vivid in the public memory (and didn't realise it until they were closing in on production)). (The alternative theory is that episode 25 is conceived, but then quickly shot down for the same reasons).
  • There is a struggle to produce some form of episode 25 that links 24 and 26, this fails to produce something in time.
  • To make up for this, episode 26 is extended to fill most of episode 25 as well, with an additional ten minutes of material added at the start to provide the barest minimum of linking material required to link 24 and 26, which vaguely hints at the events of the planned episode 25 while conspicuously omitting anything about the JSSDF attack.
  • In the wake of fan discontent after the broadcast of episode 26, plans are very quickly put in place to produce an OVA of the original planned episode 25 and 26 (as well as rerecord episode 19 for some reason - does anyone have a recording of the original broadcast of 19?), presumably thinking that memories of the attack and ensuing police reaction will have faded enough by the time of release that eyebrows won't be raised.
  • Somewhere along the line this morphs into two films - one a recap of the series followed by an extended version of the OVA, one an original Evangelion film that has no connection with the series.
  • Also at some point, the plan to make the original planned version of episode 26 is scrapped in favour of a completely new ending; this is at least partially fueled by Anno's strong discontent with the message and themes of the original ending.
  • When it becomes clear that the first film will not hit its release date, the second film is scrapped in favour of a completed version of the original half of the first; the first film ends up with only half an hour of what it was supposed to get.
  • And, of course, from there we have the two films we know today as Death & Rebirth and End of Evangelion.

*Anno has been somewhat contradictory on this point, at times claiming that episode 26 was always intended while at other points claiming that the original plan was scrapped just before scriptwriting could start. The original plan being stretched out and fiddled around for time/budget reasons is only way these statements can fit together. In any case, EoE ended up heavily diverging from any original idea for episode 26. This is not the only thing he has been contradictary on - note the conflicting statements on whether it was him or Tsurumaki who nixed the idea for Leliel to speak Japanese.
**Hiroki Azuma has a different theory involving the formlessness of the angels and a lot of other pretentious guff, but that doesn't really fit with it specifically being about police raids and not the attack itself, nor is it easy to tell what's Azuma's opinion and what Anno told him.
Last edited by eldomtom2 on Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: I think I've finally managed to put together a timeline of events surrounding the production of 25/26 & EoE

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:46 am

When you say an Eva movie not related to the show, do you mean this idea Gainax had for something people compared to Attsck on Titan?
A city protected by walls, Angels attacking, etc.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

eldomtom2
Lilith

Re: I think I've finally managed to put together a timeline of events surrounding the production of 25/26 & EoE

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:35 pm

Yes.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:38 am

View Original Posteldomtom2 wrote:Yes.

Did not know this...could you please elaborate?
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:19 pm

I remember there was a topic on this site that described that in some detail.
But I'm not finding it.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:26 pm

Well it's certainly news to me...To be clear, you're talking about an OVA that wasn't Death + Rebirth or EoE?
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:50 pm

∆ Yes. IIRC it was like a reboot/alternate story. The humans would have been protecting their (last?) city from angels with a giant wall and Eva units. The Evas apparently would have been more organic, just absorbing the pilots without an entry plug.
I think there was also a snowy landscape.

If I recall the topic I'll come back here.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 am

さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:34 pm

∆ Thanks!
Didn't remember this being so "recent".

SPOILER: Show
and joked that if this pattern holds up the next film could arrive four or maybe five or six years after Q!

lol
I love this man.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:29 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ Thanks!
Didn't remember this being so "recent".

SPOILER: Show
lol
I love this man.

Sweet Irony, Batman!

To quote Aoba in EoE "I wouldn't be surprised if they were planning this from the beginning" Jk Lol

It is rather uncanny though...

This more "fleshy" version of the Eva-verse sounds interesting...I like this body horror aspect to.

For a while now, I've thought it'd be cool to re-imagine Eva where Tokyo 3 is like a giant fortress-castle and the Magi are actually three witches/oracles that make preditctions. With the Evas themselves being these kinds of eldericth demons that get summoned and used for fighting monsters. Then, SEELE could be like a shadowy Knights Templar type group with Gendo being a king of sorts.

On the flip side, this idea of protecting the city with an AT field reminds of this idea I had while a back for a fan fiction that I would called "Floating City Tokyo 3" and the idea is that Nerv would somehow harness Lilith's AT field and create giant barrier around Tokyo 3 and the Black Moon. The Black Moon itself would have the city attached to it and would orbit the Earth. It would then act as a kind of defensive space station and the Evas would be deployed form there to either combat Angels trying to enter the atmosphere or at different parts around the globe.
FROM EVANGELION:

NOT FROM EVANGELION:

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 pm

So, this abandoned project is different from the rejected Werewolf Asuka movie?

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Sore_o_Nasumono
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:37 am

Yes, the second film was a serious project that was going to be written by Anno and everything that they legitmately intended to make. Sore o Nasumono was just Ikuto Yamashita and Seiji Kio tossing ideas around, and was never seriously considered as something to actually make.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”