Ghostbusters (2020)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Zeta_One
Adam

Ghostbusters (2020)

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Sony is taking another shot at Ghostbusters. Jason Reitman (the son of Ivan Reitman, director of the original 1984 film) will helm a sequel to the original films which is set to release in 2020. Check out the teaser trailer.

What are your thoughts?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Ghostbusters (2020)

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:50 pm

View Original PostZeta_One wrote:What are your thoughts?

They should have made Ghostbusters 3 while Harold Ramis was still alive.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:21 pm

I would bet money that if the teaser has anything at all to do with the actual plot and content of the movie itself, it's only very very high concept stuff like "the ghostbusters are forgotten and someone fixed a proton pack".

I'll see it, because I give pretty much every movie a chance, and unless it's dull or insulting I'll probably like it. I hope that it recaptures the magic of the first film, with its eclectic mix of genuinely unnerving horror juxtaposed against quips and slapstick set against a love letter to old school hookers on Times Square New York.

The worst thing they can do is repeat the love letter thing but with a bunch of jokes/terse irony about how NYC is lame and commercial now.

Also I hope they explain how the fuck they got the Statue of Liberty back to the island after she walked to midtown. (Is the museum where Dana somehow became an art conservator -a high specialized field- when she moved on from a concert musician -another highly specialized field- supposed to be the Met? It doesn't really look like it. I'd need to watch it again before I know where it's supposed to be)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 pm

As a move for Sony it makes sense.
BUT it reads to me as cheap and gross that Jason Reitman is directing.

He’s an okay director. He has little directiorial vision and his best films are the ones written by Diablo Cody where he just gets out of the way of her strong scripts. His interest as a filmmaker though has clearly been towards small character driven stories that eschew effects work. Reitman has consistently been working since 2004 when Thank You For Smoking went into production and has put out eight movies and a TV series into the world so far. I’ve seen all his films and I doubt any of them have more than 10 effects shots - mostly to remove background elements - and his career has intentionally avoiding anything geared towards mass audience appeal and franchise filmmaking.

But Jason Reitman also hasn’t had a profitable movie since 2009. He’s been given the keys to and has directed four major flops in a row.
Labor Day (Production Budget = $18 million. Box Office US = $13 million.)
Men, Women & Children (Production Buget = $16 million. Box Office US = $700,000.)
Tully (Production Buget = Roughly $15 million. Box Office US = $9 million.)
The Front Runner (Production Budget = Rumored to be over $50 million. Box Office US = $2 million.)

But now that his career is toxic he suddenly discovers an interest in blockbuster filmmaking AND is actually given the power to write & direct one with a choice summer release & a budget north of $100 million?

Reitman directing is just ugh. He’s being given the ultimate Hail Mary pass simply because of who his dad is.

Otherwise Sony’s mindset makes sense. Desparate but understandable. They don’t have many franchises and can’t rely on Spider-man related characters to keep them afloat. So they’re making Ghosbusters: The Force Awakens. It’s already been announced it’s a movie about the Stranger Things cast, er, I mean teens who are NOT the Stranger Things kids, who become Ghostbusters while being mentored by what’s left of the original team. Dan Aykroyd returning is a given. Ernie Hudson is likely too. Bill Murray hates the series but will come back for the biggest paycheck of his career (and most likely be #MeToo’d around the time of the films release since I’ve heard some skeezy stories about him lately and everyone forgets his wife filed for divorce in 2008 because he routinely beat her). It will be very fan pandery but as long as they keep their budget down - which they certainly will - and have some good marketing it will turn a profit.

I’m a little bummed that Ghostbusters 2016 isn’t getting a sequel. It’s certainly not a great movie but it has charm and is enjoyable as far as summer blockbusters go. With the growing pains of the first film out of the way I think the team could have really delivered something special with a sequel. But, even though it was the highest grossing comedy of 2016 it still lost money and should be a textbook example of why you don’t spend $150 million making a comedy. I think it’s the kind of movie that could have really come alive with a sequel. Oh well.

I’m of course also not happy that a move like this gives the sexist jerks who made pre-emptively hating female Ghostbusters as a concept their whole lives in 2016 a sense of justification in their sexism BUT that’s a whole different discussion.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Wait, Murray beat his wife?

So all the stuff about him being a zen master is bullshit and he’s just a dick because he can be?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:23 am

It’s 2040 and most of civilization gets by by selling their assholes with dried flakes of cum coating the collars of their wrinkled Old Navy button-ups. Climate change and global warming have driven up the average world temperature by 4 degrees and the effects radiate across the planet. Miami is gone. Crops have dried up. A famine ravages Africa. The Russian Empire extends across Europe and the UK no longer exists.

There is only one hope for mankind...as a 90-year old Ray Stantz mentors the next generation...of Ghostfuckers.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 am

Well he did fuck a ghost in the first one.
the prophecy is true

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:36 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:...

Dude, you just took a shit in my brain. :facepalm:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Any Bill Murray movie can be instantly and immeasurably improved by replacing him with Jeff Goldblum. The older I've gotten, the more Bill Murray's on-screen antics feel more like an asshole trying to act like he isn't. Ghostbusters I & II were the more obvious examples of this, but it's even there a little bit in Groundhog Day.

Jeff Goldblum, on the other hand, could perform the exact same roles and have everyone genuinely laughing along with him without a hint of assholery.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Jeff Goldblum, on the other hand, could perform the exact same roles and have everyone genuinely laughing along with him without a hint of assholery.

This man has seen the light.

The Eva Monkey wrote:Dude, you just took a shit in my brain. :facepalm:

The theme song for the film has already been made.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:07 am

the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:45 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Any Bill Murray movie can be instantly and immeasurably improved by replacing him with Jeff Goldblum. The older I've gotten, the more Bill Murray's on-screen antics feel more like an asshole trying to act like he isn't. Ghostbusters I & II were the more obvious examples of this, but it's even there a little bit in Groundhog Day.

I agree with that regarding Bill Murray, I think in ghostbusters 1 and Groundhog day its really in your face that I won't take no for an answer but I'm a nice guy really please like me, its why I stopped liking Groundhog day as I got older and I had heard that he was an asshole to his wife in real life which kind of makes the whole thing feel even worse because you can sense the real unkind person underneath in real life leaking through the characters. Its like how people loved Sean Connery as James Bond but then you look at his performance differently when you realize that he thought hitting women was perfectly okay in real life.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:21 pm

Random thought:
It’s gonna be so weird when the Ghostbusters reboot that is retconning the all female Ghostbusters movie out of existence pushes the message on the fan base that toxically attacked the previous cast & crew that “Anyone can be a Ghostbuster”.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:31 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Random thought:
It’s gonna be so weird when the Ghostbusters reboot that is retconning the all female Ghostbusters movie out of existence pushes the message on the fan base that toxically attacked the previous cast & crew that “Anyone can be a Ghostbuster”.

Yeah but I have a feeling this is gonna fail even though there trying that and when I say fail I don't mean not gets its money it proberbly will as you said in your above post (Unless its like the predator) but I see them doing a Jurassic world with this and the Jurassic world movies are not movies that you remember there not master pieces they don't stick in your head the true test of a film is can you watch it five years on or ten and go damn that good or watch it years on and still have happy memories. So if this film is just fanboy sexist trash it's not gonna stick around or be well remembered that kind of sexism the 80's kind that idiots in Hollywood still thinks they can emulate and get away with is not well received in the modern age the backlash on social media from Jurassic World proved that.

The greatest irony would be if this film flops like The Predator and the 2016 one ends up being the one that people watch with 1/2 and then just block out the newer version all together because its just that bad....
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:21 pm

My views on 2020 will be similar to 2016: I never saw the original or its sequel, I couldn't care less about it and I'll see it if there's absolutely nothing left to watch (luckily Star Trek saved my movie going weekend back then). Hopefully Sony learns their lesson from 2016 though, they're already on the right track by not making a sequel to that shitshow.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:24 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:The greatest irony would be if this film flops like The Predator and the 2016 one ends up being the one that people watch with 1/2 and then just block out the newer version all together because its just that bad....

This is implying that people already aren't just blocking out 2016 right now. Truth be told there are people out there that couldn't stand that movie for reasons other than what fans of it will tell you.

Zeta_One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 am

Leslie Jones isn't happy about her movie getting ignored. But it shouldn't be too surprising. The movie was a toxic flop and the merchandise sold poorly. Even Dan Aykroyd was open about his displeasure with Feig and the final product.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 am

How about they just reboot the cartoon series? At this point, I'm just not gonna see any live action Ghostbusters movie unless Rick Moranis is in it. If they can get him in it, then it's probably a good script.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:31 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:This is implying that people already aren't just blocking out 2016 right now. Truth be told there are people out there that couldn't stand that movie for reasons other than what fans of it will tell you.

If I'm brutally honest I didn't warm to the 2016 version and I really wanted to so badly but I couldn't my issues were not the actress's they tried so damn hard with what they had, my issue is it felt to rom com and it just didn't fit the original feel which is was more light black comedy also I felt its villain was really poor and felt like a minion and I also didn't like there dig the other way that all the male characters are ether dumb, creeps or plain stupid as this is sexism in the opposite direction and it solves nothing.

Also I feel like gender flipping does not solve the issue with lack of women in media I think it creates more problems than it solves because then one group feels threatened and attacks another and it becomes a shit storm which happened with the 2016 version. Personally I would have preferred they go for equal gender team two men, two women and not treat the women as love interests and there characters are treated equally to the male characters and get the tone more like the classic.

But I know with the new one its gonna be four guys again and there properly going to copy's of Owen Grady asshole male character from Jurassic world and its gonna suck and panda to all the asshole fanboys/girls who were against the 2016 version and its just gonna help confirm there hated of female characters in sci fi franchise's and that they don't belong.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:15 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:But I know with the new one its gonna be four guys again and there properly going to copy's of Owen Grady asshole male character from Jurassic world and its gonna suck and panda to all the asshole fanboys/girls who were against the 2016 version and its just gonna help confirm there hated of female characters in sci fi franchise's and that they don't belong.

https://www.slashfilm.com/jason-reitman-ghostbusters/

No plot details for this new entry have been revealed yet, but a report from The Hollywood Reporter’s Borys Kit says the main characters will be four teenagers: two boys and two girls.

Return to “Film and Video”