Terminator General! (2018 onward)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Terminator General! (2018 onward)

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Past thread for Terminator Genisys - thread/16813/Terminator-Genisys-2015/160/

The untitled Terminator film, colloquially referred to as Terminator 6, is an upcoming American science fiction action film directed by Tim Miller with a screenplay written by Billy Ray, David S. Goyer, Justin Rhodes, and Josh Friedman. The film's story was conceived by Miller and David Ellison, with Ellison also serving as producer alongside Dana Goldberg and series co-creator James Cameron.[2] It will be the sixth installment in the Terminator and serves as a direct sequel toTerminator 2: Judgment Day, while disregarding the subsequent films as occurring in alternate timelines.[3][4] The film will star Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton, Diego Boneta, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna and Mackenzie Davis, and will be distributed by Paramount Picturesdomestically and 20th Century Fox in other territories

Release date is November 22nd 2019...

which is set to reboot and conclude the franchise...

First official image...
Last edited by movieartman on Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Tim Miller's Terminator 6 (2019)

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm cringing at how optimistic I was in that Genisys thread. I still haven't seen Genisys but ive managed to become so jaded I almost opened this thread quoting Vegeta... "why won't you die?" :tongue:

I'm still salty Salvation didn't get a sequel...

Also this being a sequel to T2. I was curious where John Conner is and came across this in the cast list...
Jude Collie as John Connor: The son of Sarah Connor, who is destined to save humanity, years in the future, from an apocalyptic war against machines. Edward Furlong's 1991 facial-likeness will be used through the use of CGI.

So Conner will only be seen the age he was in T2? What happened to him after that?
Last edited by movieartman on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:24 am

I heard Cameron was going to ignore everything past Terminator 3 so he's basically doing canon course correction, the question is can he do this and make a good movie since we've already had to put up with Ridley Scott's less than savoury efforts of revisiting the Aliens universe I'd be interested to see if he can make lightning strike again or if like Ridley he gets lost in convoluted details and blow his load.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3513241/women-terminator-revealed-first-look-linda-hamiltons-sarah-connor/

Also I will be really fascinated to see how Cameron handles his female characters since he took a crack at the Wonder Woman movie so lets see if he can put his money where his mouth is and do better.

Cameron sparked a controversy in August after giving an interview in which he called Wonder Woman "a step backwards" and said the character, played by Gal Gadot, was "an objectified icon." He pointed to Linda Hamilton's Terminator character Sarah Connor as what a female action protagonist could be ("Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon,") he said.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/james-cameron-doubles-down-wonder-woman-critique-details-avatar-sequels-1043026
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:49 am

"The first commercially successful female superhero in a film directed by a woman with an all star cast of actresses wasn't as good as I, a man, could make it"

What is Cameron's involvement with this movie again? Writing? Directing? Cameron makes good movies but they always have dead simple stories, I wouldn't worry about getting lost in confusing, over-underdeveloped lore that has no depth beyond trashing someone else playing with his toys.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:"The first commercially successful female superhero in a film directed by a woman with an all star cast of actresses wasn't as good as I, a man, could make it"

This was why I loved patty's reply to him because she's so on point in that women in film should be about every kind of women not a corner group or trope but a well written character who has flaws.

Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins responded with a statement in which she ripped Cameron, saying "James Cameron's inability to understand what Wonder Woman is, or stands for, to women all over the world is unsurprising as, though he is a great filmmaker, he is not a woman ... I believe women can and should be EVERYTHING just like male lead characters should be. There is no right and wrong kind of powerful woman."

Also Cameron's little female photo shoot does not inspire my confidence at all one looks like its to the fill diversity tick box the other could be the mean lesbain trope and older Sarah Connor just doesn't scream hard ass to me...but hey this film could prove me wrong.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:47 am

I didn't even like the first one. Yeah I know sue me.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:07 pm

Is it wrong that I couldn't care less, and just want a third season of Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:23 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Is it wrong that I couldn't care less, and just want a third season of Sarah Connor Chronicles?

No, it isn't, because it's the best thing to come out of the Terminator franchise after T2. Even with all its flaws it took the time to engage with the many concepts that a Terminator movie simply doesn't have time to explore.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:44 am

The BEST thing to come out of the Terminator franchise since T2 was the Christian Bale rant. I expect nothing to be different with this movie. (Remember, this Tim Miller guy who's directing T6 is also producing the live-action Sonic the Hedgehog movie. Still not sure what to think of him as a filmmaker, despite his involvement with Deadpool.)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 pm

I have little to no opinion on the female cast photo alone.

On a unrelated note: I wish Arnold had been given the chance to be a villainous Terminator again in this one. Really like the beard.

EDITED - Sorry BobBQ , I removed my political replies, will stick to the film.
Last edited by movieartman on Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:06 am

This is supposed to be a movie thread, not a politics thread.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:01 am

I'm not sure what to think about this. The cast photo really isn't anything to go on. I'm probably in the tiny, tiny minority who enjoyed Genisys. It wasn't good but I can at least have fun watching it, which is a lot more than I can say for 3 and Salvation.

The problem is that without making AU stories, they have to keep coming up with excuses for why Judgement Day wasn't really averted to justify the existence of new Terminators, and I feel like making Judgement Day this fixed point really undercuts T2 while accomplishing little good for the story. If you want to end the series, just release a new edition of T2 with the unused ending restored. Problem solved.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:53 am

Haven't seen Gen.
3 I find to be acceptably decent & fun, Salvation is think is fully solid & even if flawed formed a solid base they could & should have built upon for more sequels set in the future war.
Both are leagues above say... Alien Resurrection.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:On a unrelated note: I wish Arnold had been given the chance to be a villainous Terminator again in this one

I may have gotten my wish.
Cameron says "Arnold's back and he is bad and he is a different Terminator than you've seen before."

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/t ... se-a166340

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:38 pm

1. Terminator 2 has 4 sequels in live action media, all of which ignore each other, and which contradict each other.

2. The last Terminator movie should be a free for all battle between all the characters and as portrayed by the different actors.

3. Terminator: My Parents Are Dead won’t be that so it will suck.

I thought that this movie was being directed by George Miller, not Tim Miller. It’s probably going to suck.

I’ll wait for reviews and see it if it looks like fun metatextual analysis fodder.

And yeah, I’m a hypocrite for saying a movie will suck before it comes out. Let’s face it, this is not the worst thing you’ve caught me doing.
the prophecy is true

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm

I'm not concerned about the image, only the people who are crying wolf about it and causing a stink before even so much as a trailer has been released.

I do think, however, that this one might have chance seeing as Linda Hamilton aka the real Sarah Conner is back (after nearly 20 years of her being "dead" or replaced by pale duplicates - sorry to fans of those other actresses - they're great, but they aren't Sarah Conner)I have a little bit more optimism.

Here's my whole thing:

As a little kid, I grew up on T1 and T2

When T3 rolled around I was entering higshcool and got excited about it..Until I saw it...I HATED the depressing ending of the world ending (ironic camping about such a thing here, right?).

So, for several years leading up to Salvation, I'd sorta given up on Terminator and didn't think much of it.

Funny, I went to see Salvation and loved it initially...However, with every subsequent viewing it is a chore to watch.. Years later, that sense of lackluster "blah" feeling worsened with the realization of how stylistically bad it is when compared to what the future war had been depicted as.. To say nothing of the giant robots...This despite the cool T2 callbacks such as the photo and the tapes.. and the Guns N' Roses scene... Honestly, I blame Nine Inch Nails for pushing me to like the movie more than I should have Lol

Then came Genisys - I actually got excited about that one from the word go. I heard, initially, that it was supposed to bring everything back around from the war to the very end - a sequel to Salvation. Then, I heard they were doing some complex time travel stuff...Also hearing that they were to re-calibrate everything and erasing T3 and Salvation (by pretending they don't exist)...And I liked it after I saw and few times afterwards. However, the silly logic of the whole "Nexus" thing and the asinine mental hoops regarding the timelines involved made it apparent that while the future war scenes are on point (sans Jai Courtney and god awful version of the Sarah photo), nothing was going to go right to make this movie good. Even with the twisty stuff regarding time travel, I thought the 1984 scenes were pretty suspenseful.Then, the movie falls apart under its own logic and becomes increasingly stupid from there...This despite the fact that the Pops and Young Sarah dynamic is kind of sweet..Plus, I liked how by making John the villain, they gave Sarah a pro-choice dynamic to her character arc...Alas, this ended up being over glorified fan fiction.

Now with this new one, all I can say is I have hope. Maybe...JUST MAYBE, they'll do all the right things like:

-Recalibrate - branch off exclusively from T2
-bring back Sarah Conner - done right since it's the real version
-Maybe make Anrie evil again?
-Keep things in this era
-Don't over convolute the lot with timeline shenanigans
-No super overly powered Terminators - just a T-800 and something (not the TX and not the T-3000 , those are both dumb)

-Another positive is James Cameron's actual involvement (yes, "just" as producer, but that's what John did for Halloween 2018 and it did wonders) rather than just an endorsement.

I do get the concern that, no matter what they do, a new film will undermine how triumphant T2 ended...But T3 already did that via the (albeit not as great in any capacity be it filmmaking, storytelling, characterization, or acting) Alien 3 route by just being dark (ignoring the cringey 90s/00s humor)...

But it could still work if one considers Sarah's lifetime...Some crazy thing happened in 1984 and then again in 1995..From her perspective, she doesn't have access to time travel, so she just sees evil robots manifesting every so often throughout her life. If they don't delve too far into other aspects (where the other films have often gone off the deep end) and keep it within this perspective, I think it could be really good.

Beyond, that... All I can say is, I'm not really nearly as excited at the prospect (especially with the bad taste from Genisys still in my mouth) as I would have been in the past about new Terminator, but I am hopeful, especially since if this fails...It'll be the last nail in the coffin for the series.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Tim Miller's Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu May 23, 2019 1:15 pm

1st trailer here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCyEX6u-Yhs

It looks decent.
Linda is great here, her age isn't glaringly standing out as much as some of us feared.
It seems to be stuck in a middle ground in terms of tone & scale.
It's not as gritty or grounded as would be right for the story they seem to be telling nor is it big or bombastic enough to wow people on spectacle
The villain Terminator looks acceptably cool but doesn't really feel new at all. The actor looks flat, Doesn't have any mannerisms or style to him that Patrick had. Eh.

I see tons of people talking trash about the CGI. I'm really not seeing anything notably bad. When he forms on the truck it looks good to me. Him leaping is weak but not terrible.
Nothing even a hundredth as bad as this shot from the Genesis trailers...

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 23, 2019 6:57 pm

It looks good enough to merit wasting an afternoon, but the trailers usually do.
the prophecy is true

Zeta_One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Thu May 30, 2019 12:43 am

Two things: 1) Rumor is John Connor is dead. 2) The film is confirmed to be rated-R.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 30, 2019 5:02 am

View Original PostZeta_One wrote:Two things: 1) Rumor is John Connor is dead. 2) The film is confirmed to be rated-R.

If this is true it would confirm my theory that judgement day has literality passed to a new person and the girl there protecting is going to be in his place as the General as killing someone does not mean you fix it, instead it causes a domino effect in time and it just goes to a new person due to the butterfly effect.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 31, 2019 8:53 am

One of the things all the post T-2 movies lack is a claustrophobic horror vibe. This one doesn’t look to have it either.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”