[Fic] SSD's fanfics and stuff.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I might tweak earlier chapters as time goes on, but right now I just wanna get what I have to say typed out first.

Ursus wrote:Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you chose to have Asuka pop up the day after the Yashima maneuver, instead of a couple of days later?

Nerv's attempt at a precaution in case multiple Angels might try to attack and or just as a backup while Ramiel drilling.

Is Shinji asking the question aloud to Misato (i.e. does he expect her to answer it?) or is he just musing to himself? Misato hears him and answers, breaking his thought. Had she not answered him for long enough that Shinji's thoughts had drifted away?

He expected Misato to answer but then started drifting off in his own thoughts, yes.

By the way, those other chapters are very short so you could always just read those whenever you'd want.

Eric wrote:Again, the idea is good, but sometimes you just need to will yourself to be more descriptive;

Slowly but surely, I'm getting there. >_<;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat May 09, 2009 2:43 pm

As others have mentioned, there's a dire lack of description and context here. There are also some awkward sentences - starting with the very first one - and some dodgy use of commas and quotation marks, viz:

Old and busted wrote:"Well, that's always possible.", Misato began.

New hotness wrote:"Well, that's always possible," Misato began.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Thanks, Sumisu. :smirk:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:22 pm

Blows off the dust from this thread

Well, I'm back. First some disclaimers and explanations before anybody decides to go ahead and read this. Oh, and warning: SPOILERS are now in this thread, so if you don't want to find out what happens in 2.0, don't read this.

I WAS going to write this as a 2.0 fic (before moving onto my take of 3.0 and 4.0), but a combination of depression and writer's block prevented me from doing so. (And besides, let's face it, 2.0 sounds fucking awesome enough as it is without some fangirl messing around with it.)

Interestingly enough, in my fic, I would have included two things 2.0 the film did: Rei and Shinji becoming close--making Asuka extremely jealous, and Rei 2 dying(?) from the Zeruel battle, although it would have been different reasons on why. (I was going to have her find out the truth of her origins from Kaworu and she'd go insane/suicidal as a result.)

Also, a HUGE thanks go to Lucretius for his help with the Rei dialouge at the start and moral support. I was stuck on just how to begin this. Last but not least, huge thanks go out to Eric Blair and everybody else on #egf-rpg for giving me advice on things when I felt stuck.

So yeah, I'm sorry for those who actually wanted read my take of 2.0, but at least I'm still writing about 3.0 and 4.0.

Enough talk, here's chapter one of my 3.0 fic:

Evangelion New Movie Edition: Quickening wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion: Eros and Thanatos
3.0 /Chapter 1 (July 2009)
Sailor Star Dust

Darkness. The smell of blood, no LCL...

"Where am I? What happened? ...The entry plug of Eva-01? Why...?"

"We have become one with the Eva."

"Ayanami?!"

"Our physical forms are no more."

"You...how...how did this happen?"

"You attained unity with the Eva when you saved me. I told you you should have left me..."

Sitting upright, noticing Shinji was in his usual seat in the train-car--Rei across from him--the car flooded in evening sunlight , or was it LCL?, beat down against Rei. Both children were clad in their school uniforms.

Shinji began to clench and unclench his hand as he shook his head, brown bangs falling across his face. "N--no. I couldn't do that. I couldn't let you die."

"I can be replaced, Ikari-kun."

"NO! I already lost Asuka... Losing you as well would be too much to bear! So stop saying that! NOTHING can replace you, Ayanami!"

At length, Rei replied, "It is you who should be protected. Not me. It was the Eva's decision."

Blushing deeply at her words, Shinji looked away, staring at the wooden floor of the traincar. "Wh...why did I pilot again? I swore I wouldn't pilot again...not after Asuka....." Shinji shut his eyes.

"You do not know what you want."

"Isn't it obvious? Piloting....it's really brought me nothing but pain. I...I thought I knew what I wanted but..."

"Why don't you choose your own path? You cannot live only for others. You must live for yourself, as well."

Shinji snorted at Rei's words, annoyed. He began to clench and unclench his hand. "I'd live for myself, but it's too late for that." He bitterly added, "Asuka's dead."

"Will you give up living because she is not here? That is foolish. You can still find happiness, one person cannot fulfill a lifetime of such. Shikinami would not want you to mourn like this."

At Shinji's silence, Rei brushed a strand of blue hair away from her face, adding, "Stand and walk."

Shinji didn't reply. He was too busy losing himself in thoughts. In rumors about how his father supposedly went crazy after his mother had died...

"Why?", Shinji's voice was bitter. "Would I be no better than father missing mother if I continue to mourn?"

Rei nodded. "That is right."

Shinji didn't expect THAT as a reply, especially from Rei of all people. He just blinked, staring at her.

Rei continued, "Your father wishes to become God, so nothing will be taken from him again."

Shinji tried to speak, but as he opened his mouth, no words came out. What was he expected to say, after hearing something like that?!

"To achieve this, the Commander uses the Evangelions so the Angels can be defeated. Evangelion-00 had too many problems where the core couldn't be reconfigured, while Eva-01 is only other Eva with the same core. Eva-02 and beyond are able to have reconfigured cores that can be swapped within their units, which is--sadly--why Asuka could pilot Eva-03."

"Why are you telling me all this, Ayanami? I barely understand it! Besides, what will it change?!"

Rei sighed. She looked...tired? Shinji couldn't tell. "I just think you should know some of the truth behind Nerv."

"The truth doesn't matter! Not when Asuka's dead!"

Rei didn't reply, she decided to leave Shinji alone to his thoughts.

Anxiously looking around, a brunette breathed a sigh of relief, entering Central Dogma's Dummy Plug Plant. Mari--clad in her school uniform and bandaged from her recent battle against the 10th Angel--barely flinched at the giggling, naked, spares of Rei before her. It was the third day since the battle with that Angel, and Rei Ayanami as well as Nerv's puppy still had not returned. Nerv resulted in something of a controlled state of panic: after Eva-01 was put on lock-down, Nerv focused on trying to bring it's two pilots back.

Apparently the Col of Nerv was anxious about the safety of Rei and Shinji, going as far as to sit at Eva-01's now restricted cage every day. Yet such things were the farthest thoughts from the young girl's mind. She was just relieved that Nerv's security hadn't tightened in usually restricted areas as a result of the craziness. It made her job much easier.

"Let's talk." Mari's tone sounded a mixture of tired and annoyed.

In front of her very eyes--or was it just a trick of the light?--the giggling clones transformed. Before the British schoolgirl was one of the Rei clones, dressed in a school uniform consisting of a brown vest and gray skirt, frowning.

Surrounding her were child versions of Rei, looking frightened, as if they were little children hiding behind their mother for protection and warmth.

"What is it?", she asked, clearly puzzled.

Mari was all business as she crossed her arms. "There is only the 4th through 108th here. What happened to the vessel of the third? Is she the one currently within Eva-01's entry plug?"

"We do not know. Yet, it matters not to us.", Rei's spare vessel replied. One of the little Reis whimpered, clutching tightly onto the leg of the speaking Rei.

Mari's eyes narrowed, her hand reaching for something inside her pocket. "'It matters not'? Why?"

"Because we have had no experiences to shape us, to form us. We do not even care if it is the true me, the dark me, within us that is allowing us sentience right now."

"Then die."

Pressing the item buried within her pocket, Mari smirked, blue eyes behind her pink frames cold. The spare vessels of naked Rei clones twitched, their entrails and arms askew as their bodies fell apart. Some LCL leaked through the tank, making its way onto the cold floor.

Upon witnessing the spares fall apart from ordered Destrudo, a horrified voice rang out, "What have you done?!"

Mari turned, the smirk on her lips fading. "Hello."

Glaring, Kaworu Nagisa, wearing a standard version of Toyko-3's school uniform, slapped the device (stolen from Ritsuko's office) away from Mari's hand. It clattered, immediately forgotten by both, onto the concrete ground below.

Kaworu exploded in a restrained, almost elegant, display of rage.

"That was not part of the plan! You should be thankful Seele did not know of Rei Ayanami's spares, but they would not appro--"

"That's why. Those foolish old men need to be taught a lesson."

Kaworu frowned. Since arriving as the appointed pilot of Eva-06 the other day, he had been cautious enough to keep a low profile and try to pass himself off as a normal boy. But... "Who are you? You are not just a regular spy for Seele."

Mari began to smirk once more. "I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."

The gray-haired teen let out a breath. "At least explain your actions. If you really wish, I can make this a one-time exception and not report you to Seele--"

"Fine. I need to ensure Instrumentality occurs, just as Seele does. The only way it can is to make sure Lilith will die for good."

Burying his hands in his pockets, Kaworu shook his head, his AT Field was beginning to expand. "I'm only going to ask you this once more. Who are you?"

Mari smirked, a powerful force--stronger than an AT Field--knocked Kaworu flat on his back. He winced from the pain, vision blurring.

"That would be telling.", was Mari's only reply as she suddenly disappeared.

Picking himself up, drying off his now LCL-soaked shirt, Kaworu stared, dumbfounded, at the spot Mari had disappeared from. Don't tell me...She's one of them?! Why was she sent here?

Kaworu bit his lip. The Scenario just got a bit more complicated than intended.

Red eyes wide, Rei looked up from her train-car seat, pale. Somehow, she had seen the exchange between that girl and her now fallen sisters, as well as the exchange between that girl and boy...

This vessel of mine..Although Ikari-kun and I are no longer grounded in what would be reality, I..I am the third one? Who were those two people? Who am I? That boy...why does he feel familiar to me? I don't understand.

Frowning at Rei suddenly being so quiet, Shinji shifted in his seat, leaning further back against the train-car. He absentmindedly stared at the storage compartment above Rei's seat... And paled.

His recently abandoned, broken, SDAT lay above Rei's head. Track 27 was playing.

Shinji's wide eyes twitched. "But...I...I thought...you weren't the Ayanami I knew? Just a...dream guide of sorts?"

"That was true at one point, but... I am now the third one. I am the Rei Ayanami that exists in your mind. The Rei Ayanami that been always watching over you, the Rei Ayanami that is your guide. I am sorry, the Rei Ayanami that you knew is no more."

Memories flooded Shinji's mind. Seeing Rei--at first a mysterious girl in the street-staring at him, talking with Rei several times before in the train-car... It had felt different, than the Rei Ayanami he knew. He couldn't but his finger on it, but... Shaking his head to clear his thoughts for now, Shinji stood.

"You are seeking answers within yourself. I am only your guide."

Shinji walked over Rei's seat. He wanted to hug her, desperately needing some comfort.

"Please... Ayanami, help me!"

Rei frowned at Shinji's words. Her gaze was transfixed on wooden floor of the traincar. "Anyone will do."

Shinji felt extremely hurt, but tried to ignore her cold words. "Th-that's not true! Ayanami is important to me!" Bending over and hugging Rei tight, Shinji allowed his head to rest against Rei's shoulder.

Rei, arms stiffly at her sides, simply replied, "Anyone will do."

"NO! I...I need Ayanami with me!"

"Or is it Shikinami that you want?"

!!

"Or Katsuragi?"

Surprised by Rei's words, Shinji found himself sitting back down, frightened by her cold, almost inhumane, logic.

"Aya...nami..."

Pausing, he swallowed, finding his voice. "I...I..feel as if I am piloting for somebody's sake. But...who's? Everybody's? Only a few?"

"You are praised when you pilot Eva. Your father praised you. Katsuragi praised you. Shikinami praised you."

Shinji nodded. His entire body shook, white fists clenching. "I know I piloted for father's praise but... He..."

"Yes?"

"I...I know I'm piloting to defeat, no to kill the Angels but... They're my enemy." Shinji glared. "Just like father."

Shinji resisted the overwhelming urge to punch his seat. "He killed Asuka! And mother!! I CAN'T FORGIVE HIM!"

Rei frowned. "Wasn't your mother smiling?"

Shinji blinked. A memory, vaguely stirred in the corners of his mind. "You're right. She was..."

"So why do you hate your father?"

".....He killed Asuka." Shinji's gaze fell to the ground. "And he doesn't care about me. Or you!"

"Ikari-kun, have you ever really tried to understand?"

Blue eyes narrowed, his voice grew sullen. "Of course I did. I tried to understand. I did!"

At length, Rei calmly replied, "You are running away."

Shinji glared at the blue-haired girl. "You are too, Ayanami! Otherwise, why would you be here with me!"

"I am here because you brought me here."

A breath escaped Shinji's lips. "I'm sorry about snapping at you. I'm just tense. How do we leave? What do we do?!"

"You must want to return."

His stomach sank at those words. "Ayanami, you don't?"

Rei considered her words carefully before she replied. "There is nothing good for me there. But, if you want me to return with you...I will."

Blinking, Shinji managed a smile, relieved. "I'm glad." Something, just outside of the train-car, caught Shinji's eyes. He did a double-take, not believing what he saw. Asuka, only four years old, stood, clutching onto her doll, the memento from her mother. She was crying, sobbing, about something. Shinji couldn't hear what she was saying but, just seeing her cry was enough to nearly break his heart.

"Asuka?! But how?! She's..." Shinji instantly tried to stand, but couldn't. "Wait...it's not...?"

Rei blinked, puzzled. "Ikari-kun?"

A familiar scent, not LCL, but lavender, suddenly flooded his senses. Lavender, the scent that was always around...

"Th-this scent. It's not Ayanami or Misato-san, or anybody else. It's..."

"I want to show my child the bright future." Her smiling face. Her last words.
A white giant, a spear in her chest, LCL dripping as her infinite tiny legs twitched.
The limp body of a five year old blue-haired girl, the 14 year old blue haired girl reuniting with her fallen sister as Eva-00 and 01 merged during the battle with the 10th Angel...
Her voice: "Have you decided on a name?"
His. "If it's a boy, Shinji. If it's a girl, Rei."

The memories and images, overtook both Rei and Shinji's senses, both too shocked by the various revelations to reply, until Shinji managed to find his voice.

"Mother?!"

Yui Ikari, standing in the middle of the train car, smiled at both children, her expression tranquil. "Shinji. Rei. Be happy."

Rei was quiet, silently taking in the ghostly form of the woman who provided Rei's genetic material. I...I do not deserve to live. I am nothing but an object living a lie. Nothing of me is original. Nothing of me is truly me.

Yui turned to Shinji, gesturing to the young Asuka, still crying outside the traincar. "You can't lose hope. The girl you love needs you. This world needs you."

He shook his head. "Asuka is gone... Living is nothing but pain. It hurts. Life hurts!"

"You do not know for certain whether she is gone or not. And life does not always have to hurt. Anywhere can be Heaven as long as you have the will to live. As long as you're alive, you'll have the chance to be happy anywhere."

Shinji stood, nodding. She was right. He couldn't lose hope just yet. He walked over to Rei's seat, offering his hand to her. "Ayanami."

Rei stared at his hand, uncertain. At length, she quietly, sadly, asked, "...Is it alright for me to be here?"

"Yes. I...we...need you, Ayanami."

Rei smiled, taking his hand. "Thank you."

Yui approached the two children, enveloping them in an embrace. It was warm, soft, tender. Shinji tried to fight back tears, but to no avail. They started to fall down his cheeks, his body racked with happy sobs. Rei's cheeks were pink, but otherwise she stayed quiet, enjoying the moment.

"Mother!!"

Yui kissed Shinji's forehead, then Rei's. "Darling. It's time to go home."

Evangelion Unit-01 was silent in the now restricted area of it's cage. The battle with the 10th Angel only three days prior resulted in the Eva being put under lockdown. It's core, fused with the long fallen Evangelion-00, was exposed.

Shinji and Rei, holding hands, were nude, floating through a sea of blue light, as if they were observing the beginnings of the universe... Shinji gripped Rei's hand tightly, Rei squeezed back. They smiled at each other. They could feel it. Yui, helping them cross over, back into reality...

Eva-01's core glowed red and then--

SPLOOSH!

Yui smiled at the two children before falling backwards into the void, into the darkness. She was within, no, she was Eva once more.

Misato looked up from the spot she was standing in. Shinji Ikari and Rei Ayanami lay naked, belly down, at the floor of Eva-01's cage, puddles LCL surrounding them.

"Shinji-kun! Rei!"

The two unconscious siblings were still holding hands.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:48 pm

Yay, it lives! And the writing has gotten better!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Bozhe moi, this is quite a fanfic. Mari is downright terrifying, and you've managed to keep Shinji x Shikinami alive without resorting to suck. As a matter of fact, you've solidified the Shinji-Rei sibling relationship. I'm waiting for more, that's certain.

And like Smith says, the writing is better too!
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:59 pm

Good job, SSD. Especially liked the bit with Mari and the Rei clones. ^_^

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Well, since you asked me to comment even if it hurts...

What you have so far works pretty well. Something about the writing feels more natural, for lack of a better word, from what I recall of the RPG days. The dialogue overall is quite good and in-character, always a plus.

Various items:

- Needs some cleaning up / proofing, but I suppose that can wait for later.
- Rei's mention of Eva cores seemed a bit forced and out-of-place. Maybe this can be handled a different way.
- More concurrent material dealing with what's happening outside of the Rei/Shinji metaphysical conversation will be needed. It all gets rather transient mention, but there would be quite a lot going on, considering the Geofront had just been ground zero for an aborted apocalypse.
-- Some of this stuff is mentioned in the "Q" preview (which you don't seem to be against utilizing, given the Mari and Rei clones business). For example, Eva-01 being sealed off right where she got speared, eyewitnesses being questioned, etc.
-- More material looking at the other characters and events would prevent Mari's destruction of the clones from happening so quickly and without any build-up.
- Oh dear... Do I smell allusions to Sequel Theory? And maybe even the Mari is a FAR thing? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.....

That's all I got right now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:12 pm

Gah, a few errors slipped under the radar. Will fix tomorrow, *maybe* an update, too.
@ Everybody: Thank you! :shinji_blush:

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:17 am

Hmm, Rei seems a bit too... Rei-ish at first in comparison to the end of 2.0 if you ask me. They're all huggy and suddenly back to reserved "opposite of train"-talk? Also with the "I can be replaced" again - I'd say that's pretty much done for the moment she let him rescue her. Maybe at least showing that they had this talk already? Like:
SPOILER: Show
"You attained unity with the Eva when you saved me. I'm sorry..."

Sitting upright, noticing Shinji was in his usual seat in the train car--Rei across from him--the car flooded in evening sunlight , or was it LCL?, beat down against Rei. Both children were clad in their school uniforms.

"W-what for?"

"You shouldn't have needed to come for me..."

Shinji began to clench and unclench his hand as he shook his head, brown bangs falling across his face. "N--no. It's all right. It wasn't your fault. And I couldn't let you die."

Rei's head sank a bit, a weak smile on her face. "And it makes me... feel glad that you did." The smile vanished. "But this selfish emotion is also why I feel that it is my fault. It was not necessary. I meant what I said. I can be replaced, Ikari-kun."

Another "continuity error", unless you intend to add something before this chapter would be the Mari & Kaworu scene. Question of how they get into one of NERV's biggest secrets aside (I guess with Angelic/FAR powers), last time we saw Kaworu was after spearing 01. Without showing him at least coming down/making contact with HQ makes it look a bit jumpy, and as Reichu said, it could use more of what happened outside in the meantime. Those "three days" are clearly missing and I hope they get added one way or the other.

Rei having the "Anyone will do"-line was... odd. Not bad, but maybe a bit out of place. Also since it's kinda unresolved. Maybe something along the lines of "But... neither of them is "anyone""/that he needs them all?

Lastly, the vision of Asuka - aside from how she gets there in that "inner world" of 01 (though maybe you'll get to that - her mirroring Manga Rei and begging him/them out? :P), he's still under the impression that she's dead, shouldn't he be wondering about it? At the latest when Yui pretty much confirms she's alive, you'd think he'd go "Wha-? But she's...". And speaking of that line of Yui, "The girl you love" might be a bit blunt. Maybe just "care" instead of the stronger "love", or just an even more vague "She needs you"?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Tweaked this post accordingly: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=256836#256836

I will be taking some suggestions here and there for future posts, so stay tuned.

EDIT: Also, Next chapter with pirate!Asuka :tonguegrin: coming Friday-ish.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Friday-ish, Saturday-ish, same difference amirite? :tonguegrin: Watching 2.0 before working on this part helped a WHOLE lot, though I needed to work up the energy just to write it... Anyway, thanks to that crazy Japanese guy for getting that camrip for us poor gajin souls to enjoy. (Of course I'm going to buy 2.0 in some form, US or Japanese release at some point...same with the rest of the Rebuild films. Provided the ending doesn't suck, that is.)

I hope you enjoy a cameo by a certain original character of Chee's. ;) He doesn't mind me taking that crazy guy for a spin. And there's a touch of Eric's damaged!Kaji in the mix, just for the lulz.

Evangelion New Movie Edition: Quickening wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion: Eros and Thanatos
3.0 /Chapter 2 (July 2009)
Sailor Star Dust

Saturday, November 21, 2015
The 1st Day

Misato couldn't help but feel frantic that Rei and Shinji were stuck inside Eva. Since the two children were confirmed as being trapped, she had made sure to sit by the cage--hoping, praying--they were safe. She idly ran a finger over her cross necklace. While she knew prayers couldn't fix anything, it at least gave her some comfort.

Hearing a sudden whimper of pain made Misato look up. Holding onto a nearby wall for support, heavily bandaged, a black eye patch over her left eye, stood Asuka.

"Asuka?!" Misato ran over to the girl, helping her up. "What are you doing here?! You should be resting in bed, you still didn't recover from your injuries, right?! We know for a fact you don't have any Angel contamination, but you still need to take it easy!"

The Captain of the European Air Force weakly shook her head, red hair falling across her slim shoulders. "I...I'm worried about that idiot, alright?", she replied, gaze on the floor.

Misato bit her lip. I don't understand. Why did nobody at Nerv bother to tell Shinji about Asuka's condition before he left? Just because he disobeyed orders out of anger, or is something else going on? I don't like this at all.

Letting out a breath, Misato put on a cheerful, fake, smile. It was a good enough act that it fooled Misato herself. "They'll be alright, Asuka. They were only gone for a day or so, right? Keep the faith!"

Asuka's expression was unreadable. Misato couldn't see Asuka's face that well. But, Asuka's whole body began to shake. "If Baka-Shinji is stupid enough to stay in there forever with his pathetic little doll, that's his choice! I've had it with him ignoring me!"

"He's not ignoring you, Asuka! You're important to him! Just as Rei is!"

"THAT'S THE PROBLEM!"

Misato blinked, taken aback by Asuka's anger. She knew that Asuka had feelings for Shinji, but Misato didn't realize just how deep it went.

Tears were welling up in Asuka's eyes, but she didn't allow herself to cry. She wouldn't allow herself to cry. Her voice was quiet.

"He has to make a choice. Either the favorite, or me."

Having said her piece, Asuka stormed off to her hospital room. She had been transferred that morning into one of the regular rooms instead of staying within that specialized IUC. Misato followed close behind, clearly worried. The Second Girl was trying her best to ignore the dull ache in her chest. It was heartbreak.

Sunday, November 22, 2015
The 2nd Day

Deep within the bowels of Central Dogma, despite the dim lighting of the room, Misato was busy hacking into the Magi itself. She had to find out the truth of what was going on. Why Shinji and Rei couldn't return. Why was the Commander cold enough--even by HIS standards--to not inform Shinji or Rei that Asuka was alive and mostly well, save for her injuries. And most importantly, just what the hell WERE the Evangelions, if Eva-01 was dangerous enough to nearly help bring about Third Impact? And if that new pilot, Kaworu Nagisa, was able to stop it with his Eva-06...

She was furiously typing, eyes glued to the screen, barely pausing even a second to blink. She was going to find out the truth. She HAD to find out the truth. For everyone's sake. For Nerv's sake.

The feel of cold metal against the back of the Colonel's head made her stop short. "I'd stop already if I were in your position, Katsuragi."

Misato flinched, not bothering to turn around. "Kaji-kun.", she began, voice even, despite the hint of anger simmering below the surface. "I'm not sure why you followed me here, but I'm only going to ask you this once. Stay out of my business."

Glaring, Kaji forced Misato to face him, pressing her against the wall, knocking her laptop over in the process. He continued to aim his gun at Misato, expression fierce. "Why the hell can't you understand?! If you keep this up, you're going to die! Commander Ikari won't take your actions lightly!"

"What do you except me to do?! I need to know why all this is happening! I can't just idly sit back and allow those children to risk their lives anymore, Kaji! Not after what happened to Asuka, and not after what happened to Shinji-kun and Rei!"

Kaji frowned, lowering his gun. He let out a shaky breath. "If you really want to know the truth.", he began, body and expression tense, "Let me do the digging for us both. You are not disposable, Katsuragi. I, on the other hand, am."

Misato looked away. "Promise me something?"

"What?"

Misato's eyes were downcast. "Be careful."

At length, Kaji nodded, replying. "I'll try." His voice was soft.

Knowing this was as good of a compromise she was going to get from her former lover, Misato nodded. Picking up her laptop and tucking it underneath her arm, she kissed his cheek, pocketing her USB stick with her other hand. So he is worried about me, after all. I'm glad.

Kaji flushed, but otherwise his expression turned neutral. "What? Eight years ago, you broke up with me, remember?"

Misato rolled her eyes, groaning slightly. "Jerk.", she softly muttered, walking away. Thinking for a moment, she paused, eyes on the ground. "I know that, but... I was thinking we could talk about...us...tonight. Over dinner."

Kaji let out a breath at her words, relaxing. If she's really willing to try it again... I guess I might as well give us another chance, too. It's only dinner.

Walking up to Misato, he smirked again. "Sure. Let me guess, I'm paying?"

Misato turned her head back to smile at him, winking. She did her best to suppress a giggle. "If you're so kind enough to offer, then of course you are."

It was Tuesday, the day after Shinji and Rei had returned from being stuck in Eva for those three, long, days. Both children were getting some much needed rest in the hospital room they shared. Misato was glad they could hopefully relax, yet she couldn't help but worry when and where the next Angel would attack. If it was going to be as deadly as what would have happened with the 10th Angel... She shuddered.

Misato was lost in thought, a cup of coffee at her lips, as she nimbly entered some data onto her computer. She still didn't understand why things were progressing as they were, but... For now, she just decided to focus on her work. In tough times, that's all one could be expected to do: focus on their job, and let everybody else do theirs.

Elsewhere, Shinji was laying down in the grass of Kaji's melon patch, watching the clouds pass by. Kaji himself was watering his plants and watermelons, idly making chit-chat with his partner, a fellow Section Two Agent of his. An American twenty-something named Malcolm Spier. Shinji let out a breath, attempting to relax. He was lucky that he could at least wander around Nerv despite being under supervision still, what with how that last had ended up. Rei was able to do the same, but she decided to just rest up by reading in her hospital bed. Shinji and Rei hadn't spoken much to each other since leaving Eva, but there was a new found sense of ease between them. A quiet comfort, one where they felt their bond was stronger than words could begin to describe.

"Hey Kaji-san? I need to ask you something."

Pulling out a smoke, offering one to Malcolm, Kaji went back to working on his melon patch. "What is it, kid?"

Shinji pulled himself upright as he sat, and stared at the grass. He let out a breath. "...Do you know if Asuka's alive? I haven't heard anything either way."

Uncomfortable silence. At length, Kaji shrugged. "I have no idea what you're talking about, kid."

Malcolm frowned, but continued to keep quiet, his expression unreadable. What the hell, Kaji? Why are you dodging the issue like this?

The Third Boy wasn't convinced. He made a face, looking upset. "It's true, isn't it? Where is she?!" Suddenly remembering all too well the rage he felt at Gendo after that battle, Shinji kicked one of Kaji's watermelons, hitting it hard enough so a dent remained.

Kaji swatted Shinji's foot away, not amused. "Hey, stop that! I worked hard on that one!"

Exhaling, cigarette firmly planted in his mouth, he took a moment to absorb Shinji's words. Kaji quietly added, "I think it's best you just accept the fact Asuka's dead, Shinji-kun. I know it's hard for you, but--"

A female voice suddenly interrupted, "You shouldn't lie to Nerv's puppy, Kaji-san." Mari stood in her school uniform, smirking.

Kaji looked up, glaring. "So nice of you to join us...Maria.", he muttered under his breath. He reached into his pocket, touching Ritsuko's device that Mari had dropped the other day.

"L--lie?" Shinji blinked. He tried to remain calm. Before Shinji could question Kaji, he had roughly pulled Mari aside, grabbing onto her wrists, glaring.

Shinji didn't like this one bit. "H-hey! Kaji-san, what are you..." Malcolm, on the other hand, was still strangely silent.

"Stay out of this, Shinji-kun." Kaji's voice was firm, not taking his gaze off of Mari. "Your friend Mari and I need to have a little chat."

Mari smirked once again in response, pulling one hand away from Kaji's death grip to adjust her glasses. "Anytime.", she calmly replied.

Shinji and Malcolm were unable to even reply as both Seele spies had suddenly walked over to the end of Kaji's melon patch; where the messy dirt ended and green grass began once more.

Realizing now was as good of a time as any, Malcolm placed his hand on Shinji's shoulder. "I need to talk to you. Let's go."

Throwing his still lit cigarette onto the garden's soil--much to Kaji's annoyance--Malcolm stamped it out, then led Shinji back inside Nerv headquarters.

Malcolm and Shinji walked side by side down one of the headquarters' many hospital hallways. "There's something Nerv has been keeping from you, Shinji. I'm not sure why, but..."

Shinji's eyes narrowed, fists clenched. His jaw set. "Asuka?"

Malcolm nodded. "Yeah." His eyes straight ahead while briskly walking, Malcolm added without missing a beat, "I don't trust the Commander as far as I can throw him. And to be frank, Kaji can be a dick of partner, but I think something strange is going on."

Shinji was a few steps behind Malcolm now, and forced himself to keep up with the twenty-two year old's pace. "Oh, you'll need this. It's from Misato." Malcolm then placed something in Shinji's pocket. He kept quiet while staring at the object Malcolm had handed him.

The blonde American led Shinji to a simple door all the way at the end of Nerv's sick rooms and looked around. "Nobody should bother you, so take as much time as you need."

Shinji blinked. "Huh? Malcolm-san, what do you me--"

Peering inside the glass window above the door's handle, Shinji's eyes widened. It...was... Turning pale, he ran into the room instantaneously.

A thin smile forming at the corner of his lips, Malcolm closed the door behind Shinji, and headed back to work. It was hard not to feel sorry for Shinji, especially with all the crap that kid had been going through lately. Malcolm was relieved to know he could at least, in some small way, alleviate some of Shinji's stress.

Peacefully fast asleep, laying on her side in her new room, a black eye patch over her left eye, was Captain Asuka Langley Shikinami.

Gulping, Shinji ran over to the redhead, throwing his arms around her, drawing her into a hug. He rested his head against her shoulder, hoping his sudden shaking--from fear that this was just a dream? Or from the shock of being near her?--would stop soon.

Asuka blinked from feeling the movement, slowly waking up. With a cold roll of her eye, Asuka silently glared at Shinji. Gulping again, Shinji felt himself stiffen at the fact she was awake. He backed away from hugging her, meekly sitting at the edge of her bed.

Emotionless, Asuka was the first to break the tense silence. "It took you long enough to show up."

"But...I was in..."

Her voice turning cold, Asuka snarled a little. "I know! You were with the favorite inside Eva."

"....." Both fell silent.

Shinji forced himself to break it. "Ayanami is a fri--No, she's family to me."

Asuka snorted. "Kissing cousins, maybe."

Frowning, Shinj faced Asuka, starting to clench and unclench his fist. "Why do you have to say that?! We haven't seen each other for so long an--"

All of Asuka's pent up emotions and anger from the past several days exploded like a dam. "You didn't visit me until now, you IDIOT!" She was on the verge of tears.

"I THOUGHT I KILLED YOU!"

Asuka's eyes were wide. Her mouth was dry. "You...what?"

Shinji looked at the floor, clenching and unclenching his fist. "I thought you died. Nobody told me what happened to you."

Asuka looked a mixture of confused and angry. "...What the hell?!"

He shook his head, clearly upset. "I'm not sure either but...It's probably HIS doing." Clench. Uncle--

Softness. Warmth. Shinji blinked. Asuka's hand lay atop Shinji's. He blushed, but held her hand in reply. Asuka interlaced their fingers, squeezing his hand tightly, blushing herself.

Asuka's voice was soft. "Thank you for visiting me. And, it's not your fault. I don't blame you."

He didn't reply to that. Instead, Shinji asked, "When will you be coming home?" Misato's home. Their home.

"I'm not sure yet. Whenever the doctors say I can leave, I guess."

Shinji let out a breath. "Will you still pilot?"

"Of course, idiot. It's my job. You?"

A pause. "I hate it, but... I have no choice. I have to, if it's to protect you and everybody else."

Asuka blushed, looking away. "You really are an idiot."

Shinji managed a smile. "I know. Um..."

"What?"

"I just remembered. Malcolm-san said that this is important to you. It's from Misato-san."

Asuka blinked, readjusting her eye patch. "Huh?"

Reaching into his pocket, Shinji placed the something in Asuka's hand. The doll from her mother.

Giving a slight smile, Asuka hugged the doll. She put the hand puppet on, making it's tiny hands caress Shinji's cheek. "Thank you, Baka-Shinji.", Asuka said in a small voice--her doll voice--while continuing to caress Shinji's cheek with the doll. Shinji giggled from the soft touch and blushed.

His voice grew quiet. "I'm so glad you're alright, Asuka."

"That makes two of us, idiot. The doctors aren't sure if my eye patch is permanent or not, but..." Her voice wavered. "That sort of thing doesn't matter, right?"

Shinji pulled Asuka into a tight hug, resting his head on her shoulder. She shyly hugged back, doing the same. "No. What matters is you're alive. You're important to me." He gulped again.

The two children shut their eyes, losing themselves in their head to shoulder hug, feeling warm and safe.

"Baka-Shinji. When I go back home, can I sleep in your room again?"

"Of course, Asuka."

Asuka blushed, smiling warmly as her cheek rubbed against his shoulder. "I'm happy."

"Me too." Shinji decided not to comment on how he felt something wet sliding down her cheeks. Asuka never cried, and she'd be damned if she had to admit to crying right now. Sniffling, Shinji wiped his own tears, and stared into her eye.

Asuka blinked, puzzled. "Baka?"

Silently, slowly, Shinji brought his lips to Asuka's, kissing her. Their faces flushed, Asuka wrapped her arms around Shinji's neck, kissing him back, enjoying the first kiss for either of them. Breaking away, offering each other a shy smile while continuing to blush, the couple held each other's hand.

"Ahem."

Startled, both pilots turned to see Doctor Ritsuko Akagi staring at them from the door, arms crossed. "Would either of you care to explain what you're doing?"

"Ri-Ritsuko-san...", Shinji began, giving a start.

Ritsuko sighed, pulling the stethoscope away from her neck and walking up to Asuka. "It's time for your check up, Asuka. While it is a relief to know you didn't suffer any Angel contamination, you have to take it easier with any visitors, okay?"

Asuka looked away, frowning. "Yes, ma'am."

Scooting Shinji away from Asuka's bed, Ritsuko frowned at the boy. "Please, give us some privacy. If you really want to see her again, that's fine, just not when I'm on duty."

"Er... Ritsuko-san, wait."

Ritsuko looked up from her desk, readying a syringe. "What is it, Shinji-kun? I'm very busy right now."

It was no use beating around the bush, so Shinji decided to ask his question then and there. "Why didn't somebody tell me sooner Asuka was alive?"

Silence.

Asuka was staring at the floor, muttering something to her doll, playing with it once in awhile. Ritsuko fiddled around with the syringe. Shinji continued, for once, to keep his gaze on another person, eyes serious, not clenching his hand. He needed an answer, he needed his heart to somehow feel at ease about this horrible mess Asuka was now in.

The fake blonde seemed honestly confused for once. "I believe the Commander felt it was on a need to know basis. It was nothing against you, Shinji-kun. I would have told you when Asuka was given clearance to be placed in the regular section of our hospital, but... I only found out about this whole situation once you already left."

Grumbling something under his breath, Shinji silently left without another word.

Ritsuko and Asuka stared at each other, sighing, before they carried on with the redhead's physical.

Why had his father kept this from him?! Shinji just didn't understand. At least he was able to clear his head by walking around the Geo-Front, but...

He suddenly blinked, stopping in his tracks, ears perked up. He thought he heard...

Staying silent, Shinji waited a moment before continuing, needing some confirmation. Somebody was...humming?

"Eh?"

The source of the humming was a 15 year old boy, who seemed to appear from out of nowhere. He had gray hair and red eyes, dressed in Tokyo-3's school uniform, but with an orange undershirt. He continued to hum Ode to Joy, then stopped when he noticed Shinji was staring straight at him.

"Songs are nice.", began Kaworu Nagisa, smiling. "Songs bring us joy. They're the greatest achievement of the Lilin culture. Don't you agree? Ikari Shinji-kun."

Shinji frowned. Whoever this boy was, something about him unsettled Shinji. "Um...you are?"

Kaworu smiled again, an arm over his chest as he bowed slightly, then straightened. "I'm Kaworu. Kaworu Nagisa, the pilot of Eva-06. I'm one of the selected children, just like you and Mari-san."

The pilot of Eva-01 blinked. "Mari-san...you know her?"

Kaworu placed his hands in his pockets, nodding. "I guess you can say we go way back.", he smirked. "If you are going home, may I join you? I'd enjoy it very much if we could talk for awhile." Thinking a moment, Kaworu then added, "Especially if your guardian, Col Misato Katsuragi, is around."

The uncomfortable feelings grew again. Shinji felt butterflies in his stomach, his knees shook. This boy seemed kind, yet something about him was...nerve-wracking. Why? And because of what?

"A-Actually I'm uh...staying here at Nerv. I just came out for some fresh air." Offering a weak smile, Shinji then turned around, briskly walking back inside headquarters.

Kaworu watched Shinji's fleeing, nervous, form... and glared. What a fool that boy was. To be running away so early, not bothering to listen to Kaworu's offer at least for a short while...

"Well?", he began, turning to some nearby trees where Mari had been spying on the pair. He decided to ignore Shinji's resistance, for now, at least. "How did agent Kaji take the news? About your actions at the Dummy Plug Plant the other day?"

Mari leaned further back against the tree, shrugging. She looked bored, glancing down at her nails as if she were filing them instead of discussing an important matter. "He was angry, of course. But we managed a compromise."

Kaworu raised an eyebrow. "Such as?"

Mari's eyes light up behind her pink frames, pushing one of her twin tails behind her back. "We don't tell Seele about Ikari's real plans, and Kaji doesn't report either of us to Nerv. In other words, he'll keep our cover."

The Angel sighed, shaking his head. "I am sorry to say, but that doesn't sound like much of a compromise, my Ladyship. At least he only knows we work for Seele and nothing more."

Mari winked, walking up to Kaworu, flicking his forehead. She smirked again, but her voice, and her words, were soft. Gentle. "Trust me on this, Adam. I know what I'm doing."

Kaworu nodded, managing an honest smile for once. "Thank you...Maria-sama."
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:22 pm

Asuka was a good balance of moe and creepy. Nice job with the secondary characters, too. I look forward to the rest. ^_^

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:30 pm

Couple of typos and other oddities- why does Asuka cry out of both eyes when one is covered by an eyepatch? If any tears came out of that eye, the patch would soak them up.

Malcolm Spier turning up was awesome, and the hospital scene was genuinely touching- the polar opposite of the sick horror in EoE. The scene between Misato and Kaji was nice, and I like the way you've shown Misato's concern about any future Angels. Kaji really is sinister and God knows what Gendo's planning.

Having Kaworu speak so reverentially to Mari is creepy. If Mari/Maria is really that powerful, Kaji blowing their cover will probably be more a nuisance than a real threat.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:00 am

I fixed the errors. I'm glad you all like this so far, the next chapter is when things will really start heating up.

Also, I'm very pleased to hear my writing has gotten better. I guess taking that creative writing class in the spring helped somewhat, even though it was an introductory type class. ^_^

Kaname Langley
Asuka's Cousin
Asuka's Cousin

•      
  •      

Postby Kaname Langley » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:32 am

Oh My God. You wanna make me Cry again?
You are so damn Good SSD-chan
Only losers consider the possibility of defeat without even trying.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Saying her piece, Asuka stormed off to her hospital room.

Having said her piece, more like.

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Really good job. What did Mari knock Kaworu over with that was stronger than an AT-field, did she knock him to the ground with her smirk? If it wasn't her smirk, what was it? Is it a seeeecret? :smirk:
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:44 am

I like the Malcom cameo, and the Maria-sama bit. Excellent, as usual SSD-sama!
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:19 am

Evangelion New Movie Edition: Quickening wrote:Sitting in the living room upon arriving home from seeing Asuka, Shinji decided to get out his cello. He needed some way to pour his feelings out.

Setting things up by tuning the bowing and sitting in his chair, he began his warm-ups, shutting his eyes, losing himself in the music....

He suddenly shifted from his warm-up of Dvorak to the cello part of an orchestra piece entitled Instability from some film.

Having left her office (really her bedroom) door open while working, Misato smiled to herself, calling, "It's nice to hear you practice, Shinji-kun."

Shinji shrugged. "Yeah, well... I don't have anything else to do. Everybody has either evacuated or is recovering from the last Angel attack... Toji, Kensuke, Class Rep and my other classmates already moved away while I was stuck in Eva..."

Misato stood, leaning against her door, concerned. Her arms were crossed. "So you didn't bother contacting them again? To say goodbye?"

Shinji's eyes focused on the carpeted floor as he held his cello bow, his grip tightening then loosening. "Even if I'd try to call, they probably had their numbers changed already..."

Misato sighed, brushing some hair away from her face, going back into her room. Drinking a can of UCC canned coffee, she called from her desk. "Hey."

Shinji looked up from his instrument. "Huh? What is it?"

Misato stared at her computer screen, busy typing in some data. "When Asuka gets better, why don't we all go out to dinner? You, me, Asuka and Rei."

The Third Boy shrugged. Tired. "As long as father's nowhere near by, sure. Besides, Ayanami probably feels bad the party couldn't happen after all."

Silence. Well, besides Shinji going back to his cello. He was now practicing the Bach Cello Prelude, marveling at how his supposedly (according to other people) skilled fingers managed to create the beautiful sounds. For once, he felt at peace instead of feeling this was something he was FORCED to do...

He wondered what was going to happen to Eva-01 now that it was on lock-down. He wondered why he was stupid enough NOT to ask about Asuka's condition before leaving. And he wondered what was going to happen from here on out.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Fanfiction”