Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

dzzthink
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Hate him or love him, Shinji makes for a great case study.

My personal way of considering this guy is that he is a boy on the path of self-destruction, who hates the position he is in (being forced into life-and-death situations), and then hates his own reaction to the problem (whining and running away). We face this every day in our own lives, where we aren't satisfied with our position, as well as our efforts to resolve our situation. Can we really solve our problems by stop whining and running away? Yes, on paper. No, practically.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but I will not be mastered by anything." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

Softmachine
Embryo

Re: Does Shinji deserve all the hate?

•      
  •      

Postby Softmachine » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:59 pm

Not at all. I think Shinji is an otherwise decent kid who is driven further to madness as a result of circumstances relating to the stress of piloting and his own traumatic, isolated life as a whole. He's no angel, as he has a great deal of bottled up resentment towards the various people who have wronged him in life covered up with an exterior of meekness. But in general, he mostly tries to do the right thing and has demonstrated selflessness multiple times.

I don't feel that any of the characters are horrible people except for Gendo and SEELE, who literally want to end the world. They're all deeply flawed people who, despite their many faults, also possess positive traits.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”