Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:58 pm

View Original PostZoop wrote: The Empire is supposed to be gone, but yet, here is the First Order, and they managed to build an even more ridiculous superweapon, without anyone noticing? What was the new republic doing all this time? And then they manage to make an entire fleet of star destroyers with the same level of power?

The newer novels & comics expand on all this.
The First Order is the remnants of the Empire that escaped into the unknown regions and had 30 years to do nothing but rebuild itself.
The New Republic negotiated with emissaries of sorts from them and they made false promises to not make any new Star Destroyers.
Leia called bullshit and tried to sound the alarm but the politicians wanted to stay in denial and refused her and so Leia created the Resistance to free what world's the First Order still controlled.

Starkiller Base was presumably sculpted while still in the Unknown Regions hence why the New Republic never discovered it. Problem is the film never shows it going into hypespace and when it's used on the main planets of the New Republic it looks like it's really close to them.

The one intelligent thing they wrote with Starkiller is them fueling it by draining energy from Stars instead of using crystals.

The Emperors Fleet was built separately by him commanding a mostly droid army and he also had 30 years to mostly work on just that under even more secrecy then the First Order had.

To be clear I'm not happy about them beating the superweapon cliche into the ground either. And especially with them being so similar to each other. In the old canon the Sun Crusher & World Devastators were all at least unique designs & systems. In the film's we have had 4 planet destroying generic laser guns in a row.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:07 pm

None of this is covered in the films so it's immaterial.
I'm sure every random plot device and lazily constructed character in Star Wars (coughBobaFettcough) has been extensively explained, improved on and covered in some extended universe bit of media. Doesn't excuse lazy storytelling. These movies aren't real world history, they're fictional made up universes. They should be stories that can be told in their (progressively longer) running times.
JJ Abrams just wanted to return to the status quo of Rebels vs. Evil Empire because he's lazy so he just wrote that in with zero thought given to it. The other filmmakers who followed were stuck with that decision and had to work around.

It was a dumb lazy decision made by arguably the most overrated dumb lazy filmmaker working today (JJ) AND then he doubled downed on that dumbness with "The Emperor has been behind this ALL along & guess what, he's personally built an entire Starfleet of planet destroying Star Destroyers on a secret planet that can ONLY be reached if you have one of only two ever made mystical Wayfinder devices... unless if you don't in which case you can just warp there."

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:10 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:None of this is covered in the films so it's immaterial.

I'm sure every random plot device and lazily constructed character in Star Wars (coughBobaFettcough) has been extensively explained, improved on and covered in some extended universe bit of media.

Doesn't excuse lazy storytelling.

Agreed. :thumbsup: I just wanted to give Zoop a idea of what the Canon explanation is regardless if it's in the film.
They absolutely should have better explained the First Order vs Resistance situation in TFA. Could have easily done so in the opening crawl.

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:44 am

Thanks for that, kinda guessed it would be covered outside the movies.
But yeah, my main concern is how you put it "beating the superweapon cliche into the ground"
It totally undermines how special and how big of a threat the Death Star was. Now its become "just another superweapon".

If they really had to go this route, I would have liked it a lot more if they for example managed to salvage the weapon from the destroyed 2nd Death Star from the wreckages on Endor or something, at least that way it would have stayed relevant.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:25 am

5-year-old JJ Abrams: *playing with his SW toys* Look mom, it’s called a Star Destroyer because it blows up stars in outer space.

JJ’s mom: Oh no, honey. They’re named after the aircraft carriers in WWII. They don’t destroy stars, that’d be silly.

Adult man-child JJ Abrams: *directing TROS* WHO’S SILLY NOW MOM???

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:07 am

I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:45 am

∆ Things are getting interesting.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:15 pm

I find it quite odd that before the sequel trilogy got made, the fandom was declaring Lucas Public Enemy Number 1, yet now treat him as a patron saint. Fans are such fickle creatures.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:10 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I find it quite odd that before the sequel trilogy got made, the fandom was declaring Lucas Public Enemy Number 1, yet now treat him as a patron saint. Fans are such fickle creatures.

I'm finding this turn about really weird and I don't trust him with making a new trilogy not after what happened with the last one and people forget the reason the first three were so good was his ex-wife Marcia Lucas edited them told him to keep in certain scenes which he wanted to chop out which are some of the best scenes in the original movies and even Mark Hammel felt her not being there in the later movies affected the scrips. So my view is unless Lucas can throw his pettiness and ego aside and work with her on a new trilogy, history will just repeat itself and it won't be any better than Disney's train wreck.

http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Zoop
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zoop » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:06 am

At the very least, George had a vision where he wanted the story to go. The execution of it might be poor (poor dialogue plagues all the movies), but at least it was a coherent story (even if the prequel trilogy conveniently forgot about a lot of character interactions in the original trilogy).
Whereas the new trilogy changed what they wanted to do with each new movie, making it such a mess.

Objectivily speaking, the original trilogy ain't all that great either. It's mostly (imo) so awesome because of the practical effects that still hold up today (first movie being from 1978!). But story and (especially) dialogue really ain't special.

I wouldn't mind if George returned for a new trilogy, at least could expect him to have a vision from beginning to ending again. Whether if he stays as petty and egotistical as before, or not (and just having to include several poop-jokes), seriously can't be much worse than the current new trilogy, imo.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:04 am

Disney ain’t gonna let George Lucas make another Star Wars movie. They might give him a Disney+ series though.

The next Star Wars movies are gonna be by Disney shills like Jon Favreau or Taika Waititi who play along and follow the studio rules.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue May 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Bunch of news.

Taika Waititi confirmed to be doing a Star Wars film (I personally dislike this as I strongly disagree with his creative choices in Thor Ragnarok)

On future seasons of The Mandalorian.
Temuera Morrison (jango fett in the prequels) has been cast either as Boba Fett or one of the clone troopers, it's being reported that it will be Fett (which I pray for) but I am not clear on how confirmed that is.

Katee Sackhoff will return as a live action Bo-Katan (whom she voiced in the clone wars animated series)

And Rosiaro Dawson has been cast as a adult version of Ahsoka-Tano.

Strongly down for all that. Need to finish Mandalorian S1.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed May 13, 2020 6:19 am

Yo, I think Taika Waititi did a great job with Thor Ragnorok. It's fun to see a comic book movie actually feel kinda comedic and pulpy. But, I guess there wasn't enough hues of brown or gray in the cinematography to appease fans of the Russo Brothers, so I kinda get why some people don't like Ragnorok.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed May 13, 2020 9:29 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:The next Star Wars movies are gonna be by Disney shills like Jon Favreau or Taika Waititi who play along and follow the studio rules.

Lol. I said that in January on this very threard. Disney is VERY predictable.

Waititi is a fine filmmaker. He's overrated and over criticized at the same time. I much prefer his older work before he went Hollywood (I have a million things to say about Jojo Rabbit and none of them are good) but he'll make an enjoyable Star Wars film. It won't be original or unique - it will be the same Star Wars nerds love but with a snarky & pandering meme friendly attitude - but it's not meant to be. It's meant to print money.

I figure the Jon Favreau Star Wars film will still be announced at some point in the next year.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed May 13, 2020 3:02 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Yo, I think Taika Waititi did a great job with Thor Ragnorok. It's fun to see a comic book movie actually feel kinda comedic and pulpy. But, I guess there wasn't enough hues of brown or gray in the cinematography to appease fans of the Russo Brothers, so I kinda get why some people don't like Ragnorok.

It's not quite that for me, I love both Guardians which are plenty comedic and colorful it's that Ragnarok took it up 50 more levels and parts of it just feel like a unbearably cheap SNL skit, especially the stuff with the wasted Jeff Goldblum. Making Thor himself more fun and casual about everything was cool it's everything else around him bordering on being a spoof that was too much IMO. The Guardians films get away with their level of humor because before Infinity War they had the strongest emotional beats of the Mcu and Ragnarok had absolutely none of that besides Odin's rushed death and for this story specifically the dark apocalypse of the gods the comedy level is especially ill fitting. If you read comics check out a mini series/graphic novel called Thor - Disassembled and you will see what this could have been.

That said I have heard Waititi's Mandalorian episode was solid and not overly comedic so I will wait and see.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:59 am

The Mandalorian Season 2 will premiere on October 30th. Plenty of known lore characters in here supposedly (Ahsoka Tano, Boba Fett, Bo-Katan Kryze and Cobb Vanth are all rumored). Favreau, Filoni, Bryce Dallas Howard, Carl Weathers, Robert Rodriguez and Peyton Reed are some of the directors.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:33 pm

Trailers we have gotten so far for S2 of The Mandalorian, out this Friday.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW7Twd85m2g
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICuqzhViWAI

They are playing things very close to the chest, and even aren't allowing early reviews for fear of spoilers getting out.

I'm gonna try and finish the first season this week.

My hopes for S2.
- Boba Fett is in fact alive & well, having survived the Sarlacc like in the old canon.
- I would appreciate outright flashbacks to his escape.
- He is not wasted, humiliated or killed off.
- Timothy Olyphant isn't wasted.
- Ahsoka & Bo-Katan get well more to do than mere cameos.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:20 am

On Ahsoka and Bo-Katan having larger roles-I disagree. One of the coolest things about The Mandalorian was in my opinion its relative divorcement from the larger canon. It was set in the same world and the consequences of all the big universe events directly played a part in it, but it also felt smaller and I liked it. But if Ahsoka and Bo-Katan were to have bigger roles, it'd become just another piece of a huge puzzle that requires a plentitude of foreknowledge to understand. In my opinion, even the inclusion of Ahsoka and for that matter Boba Fett is already unnecessary and smells suspiciously like a ploy to create connections between this and other SW works in order to maximize the nostalgia factor.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:58 am

- Andor series sizzle reel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSW-pARyP-M

- The Bad Batch trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB9DIxdB198

2 more Star Wars series announced.
- Ahsoka
- Rangers of the New Republic
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/star_ ... #gs.ns6ykv

And a movie directed by Patty Jenkins Rogue Squadron.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:I'm gonna try and finish the first season this week.

My hopes for S2.
- Boba Fett is in fact alive & well, having survived the Sarlacc like in the old canon.
- He is not wasted, humiliated or killed off.
- Timothy Olyphant isn't wasted.
- Ahsoka & Bo-Katan get well more to do than mere cameos.

Still behind on S1 but those wishes...
SPOILER: Show
all seen to have come true. ^_^

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:26 pm

Are we all just going to ignore that
SPOILER: Show
Baby Yoda is now called Grogu?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Return to “Film and Video”