Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Well, if I remember correctly, there is a 100 page limit on threads here, so I figured this would be helpful ^_^

So this thread is continued from here.

I myself am avoiding the trailers, but the urge to not look is really difficult to suppress. I'd rather be surprised when I see the movie, but from the excited chatter online, the movie is set to be pretty good, and if half the leaks are accurate, it should be one heck of a movie.

And this just in, the final title of the new trilogy has been revealed.
SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:28 am

All the collective footage from upcoming releases for anyone who hasn't been following the previous thread.

The Last Jedi
Teaser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4I68XVPzQ
BTS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye6GCY_vqYk
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY
BTS focusing on Johnson directing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgBk2fLLHY

Battlefront 2
Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kae-JjbLsgA
Single Player Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUTWw17rkM
Gameplay Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q51LZ2HpbE
Starfighter Gameplay Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHQ77BZDZg
Behind The Story - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pryBP4K-_34
This is Star Wars Battlefront 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNGWh_-R1VE
Clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78tCfT24zec

I hope Battlefront 2 gets a novelization as I am not a gamer but the story & lead character are very intriguing.
EDIT - Just discovered Inferno Squad will be getting a novel but it's set before the game.
- http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battlefr ... erno_Squad

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:I myself am avoiding the trailers, but the urge to not look is really difficult to suppress. I'd rather be surprised when I see the movie[/spoiler]

I think you would be fine watching the teaser, but yeah avoid watching the full trailer.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:37 am

movieartman wrote:I think you would be fine watching the teaser, but yeah avoid watching the full trailer.

Thanks for the tip on the teaser. I'd rather not spoil the movie before I see it.

But... there is only one Battlefront II
SPOILER: Show

Nothing can surpass this game for me.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm still spoiler free about TLJ, I have only seen a frame with a close up of Snoke.

I have also noticed that the movie will come out on Dicember 13th here in Italy, two days before the US, so that will help me stay spoiler free.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:45 am

Word on the streets is Ron Howard had to reshoot up to 80% of Solo: A Star Wars Story*. Phil Lord & Chris Miller had been shooting for four months and were three weeks away from completing principal photography when they got fired. Ron Howard came on and started shooting in late June. They just finished in late October. Solo shot for eight months! That's crazy. I would have to guess the already substantial budget for the film had to nearly double. Should make for a weird film.

*Dumb title.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:54 am

Sounds like Rogue One all over again. I just hope the plot isn't butchered too horribly yet with all those reshoots, I wouldn't be surprised if it were though.

And yes, a very dumb title indeed. Is Disney literally that uncreative? I'm guessing all the anthology films based on characters will be named similarly. Yoda: A Star Wars Story, Fett: A Star Wars Story, Obi-Wan: A Star Wars Story, or whoever else they decide a spinoff film is good for some extra cash and merchandising.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:05 pm

Do people hate Rogue One?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:28 pm

One of the main critique I often read, and I agree with it, is that the movie wasn't really needed. It doesn't really add anything as a prequel of Star Wars, but I don't think people hate it (except people who hate on new things in general).

PS: great avatar.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Rogue One is the best Star Wars films since Empire.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:13 pm

Rogue One was okay, I guess. It didn't leave me wanting to immediately watch it again like The Force Awakens did. Actually, I haven't seen it since it was in theaters last year.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Eh, I pretty much automatically ignore any criticism of a film that starts with "didn't need to be made". I hate how utilitarian that sounds even if I agree with the sentiment that a film can fail to justify its own existence. I'm just a prickly pedant that loves to point out that no film needs to be made, we could all just eat protein slurry and stare at walls and survive, no need for movies or stories.

In this case though, I disagree. I don't care that we don't "need" to know how the Death Star plans were recovered, and I think that the more "realistic" Saving Private Ryan in Space treatment of the war side of Star Wars contrasts nicely with the hopefully optimistic film that was a huge hit in a very pessimistic, artsy era of film. While I continue to believe, as I have argued, that now is a time for hopeful films that don't shove how much the world sucks down our throat, Rogue One adds nicely to A New Hope by being gritty without being dark.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:50 am

I can't be bothered to have an opinion about the quality Rogue One, despite having seen it more than once. Current Disney Star Wars is more or less white noise to me until it can prove itself otherwise.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:49 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Do people hate Rogue One?

I personally really like it because its like a Star Wars version of D day and it pulls no punches in saying that in war not everyone comes back alive and that a lot of the work is done by people you don't always hear about who go behind the scenes and do the real dirty work and make it possible for others to win.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:18 am

Regarding Han Solo reshoots: good. I'm glad they reshot 80% of it. They clearly weren't happy with what Lord and Miller were doing, so they scrapped most of it. Better that than going the cheap route and trying to make it meld what was already shot with Ron Howard's vision of the remainder. I'm glad that they spared no expense to turn this film around. And best of all, they're sticking to the original release schedule, which means they were effective with their turn around.

And trust me, a Solo spin-off was the last thing I wanted. But I want them to make the best damn film they can make. I am rooting for their success. These are good signs.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:01 am

The fact that they reshot 80% of the Han Solo solo movie does show invested interest, but the fact that they had to reshoot that much of that movie to begin with might also show signs of some lack of management on Kathleen Kennedy's part. I'm not sure why she wasn't on Kevin Feige's level of creative control with Star Wars right out the gate, but it might cause some form of mistrust in the audience.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:53 am

They have said Solo is going to be a western & I'm a big fan of Howard's The Missing (2003), so his overhaul of this film gives me more optimism then I would have had under many other directors.

View Original PostSachi wrote:Rogue One is the best Star Wars films since Empire.

100% agree.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:57 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Eh, I pretty much automatically ignore any criticism of a film that starts with "didn't need to be made". I hate how utilitarian that sounds even if I agree with the sentiment that a film can fail to justify its own existence. I'm just a prickly pedant that loves to point out that no film needs to be made, we could all just eat protein slurry and stare at walls and survive, no need for movies or stories.

In this case though, I disagree. I don't care that we don't "need" to know how the Death Star plans were recovered, and I think that the more "realistic" Saving Private Ryan in Space treatment of the war side of Star Wars contrasts nicely with the hopefully optimistic film that was a huge hit in a very pessimistic, artsy era of film. While I continue to believe, as I have argued, that now is a time for hopeful films that don't shove how much the world sucks down our throat, Rogue One adds nicely to A New Hope by being gritty without being dark.

I agree on the general idea that a movie doesn't need to justify its existance, but in this particular case the movie left me nothing. Everything that I expected before the realease actually happened in the movie, and the ending itself is exactly what I thought it would be, and the movie doesn't compensate the lack of an interesting plot with an emotional investment or a strong message. I saw it and immediatly wondered what was the point of the movie.

I would have probably enjoyed the movie a lot more if it wasn't a Star Wars prequel but a random sci-fi war film instead. The fact that it was a prequel made the film much worse for me, but that's just me.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:46 pm

New Last Jedi TV spot with some new footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4CB5SeBGkI

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm...just going to leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEpOK8oF1S0
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:51 am

Looks like they intend to do a 2nd trilogy with the current young cast after this one is done.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... rs-a154964

I hope for 2 things in regards to this...
1 - Luke survives at least until the end of E9. (I personally would like for him to go even beyond that, maybe give him a stand alone film instead of Obi Wan)
2 - The Empire/First Order is done as the primary threat at the end of this current trilogy & they do something new with the following one.

Return to “Film and Video”