Commentary: Episode 07

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Commentary: Episode 07

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

EvaGeeks is pleased to announce that Ep. 07 is now open for your comments.

Link:

https://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_07#scene_list

As always, please index your comments by the Cut#, or we won't know where to put them.

Enjoy!

(Could someone with Mod Powers please sticky this?)
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: Commentary: Episode 07

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:11 pm

Well, that sure took more time than we had expected. As always, thanks to everyone who helped bring the Commentary Project back to life!

I wrote most of these back in 2014 when we were working on the episode so I apologize in advance for any broken link or reference to outdated theories or discussions. As English is not my first language, feel free to fix or rewrite anything that sounds wrong.

001:
First of all, I'd like to thank ObsessiveMathsFreak for sponsoring the translation of this episode. We haven't heard from him in a while, but without his support we would've been stuck here for who knows how long. Also, this is the first episode translated by our own Numbers-kun - and it looks really good. Enjoy!

002A:
It looks like they've turned off the lights in Gendo's office. Or someone at Gainax thought that adding random Kabbalistic symbols and trails from bubble chambers made the office look way more cool. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

014:
If you look at this sequence frame-by-frame, you'll notice that they've actually reanimated it from scratch! They didn't feel the need to cut corners this early in the series, it seems. Oh, and they forgot to fix the Yebichu/Yebisu branding issue in the Video releases, so enjoy your hamster-themed beer one more time.

019:
Oh, look. It's Tuesday!

049:
I'm too lazy to look for my copy of the Evangelion Encyclopedia right now, so EML's translation will have to do:
In ep. 7, Misato reaches Shinji's school in a red (with black soft top) Ferrari 328 GTS (production date 1985, 3184.96 cc 4 valve V8 (90° V) cylinder engine). This sample has the driving place to the right, Japanese way. Even if not one of the most expensive Ferraris, it undoubtely is much more than the A310.

I'm sure I saw a few other Ferraris in another well-known TV series Misato's seiyuu was involved in...

055:
From the introduction to Chapter Four of Shizo/Parano (many thanks to Numbers-kun for his translation):
Anno: Even in the midst of making Eva, I suddenly realized I had forgotten her. Her very existence. In episode seven, I remembered, and added a single shot with Rei. I had no emotional attachment to her at all. I think that was fine, because she didn’t appear in episode eight, not even for a single shot.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:32 pm

02A:
Freedom of Information Act? I thought that was just an American thing... Anyone know anything about Japanese law here, could shed some light on what exactly this covers?

Title1:
Worth pointing out that the Nihongo/Eigo titles are straight translations for this one.
Anyway, the title is an obvious reference to JA (which appears immediately before). A "human", that is, "not divine" work. The true difference? Humans themselves are divine works, and humans have souls. However, humans cannot create something with a soul (outside of reproduction). Demonstrates the importance of a soul, and the failings of "superior" automatons.
(Because one could make the argument the Eva's are human works too...)

07:
I know it's just camera angles, but that fish seems QUITE surprised to find itself being eaten.

15:
From here, until Cut 23 (and Cut 31, too), Shinji seems to be acting very paternally... This brings to mind Misato's Case. The "not wanting to be a good girl" bit is here (and elsewhere) exemplified by her untidiness, and general "un-ladylike" behavior. Juxtaposed with Shinji talking down to her, with a disapproving look on his face; and the "still single" comment in Cut 021, and I think there're some nice parallels. Especially considering the continuation, where it shows that Misato equates Shinji(+Kaji) with her father.

027:
I do wish we could see what went on at the career guidance meeting... Sounds interesting.
In addition, I love the look on Misato's face here. Classic :).

035:
What, in the name of all that is holy, is on Toji's forehead? It looks like straps for a bag, or something... I've got it! It's TOILET PAPER!

037:
She's so obviously enjoying their attention... Classic Misato.

038:
Toji's tears flow like waterfalls.

049:
View Original Postath wrote:I'm too lazy to look for my copy of the Evangelion Encyclopedia right now, so EML's translation will have to do:

I'm sure I saw a few other Ferraris in another well-known TV series Misato's seiyuu was involved in...

What happened to the famous Renault? This must be either a company car (well, considering NERV's budget, maybe not), or a rental that she took in order to complement her composed/cool image. Notice suspicious lack of dents.

055:
I s'pose Hikari's jealous, 'cause of Toji.

092:
This whole scene is quite obviously meant to parallel Cuts 5-34. Misato's actions, and Shinji/Pen-Pen's reactions, are completely opposite.
Last edited by imprimatur13 on Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:38 pm

View Original Postath wrote:I wrote most of these back in 2014 when we were working on the episode so I apologize in advance for any broken link or reference to outdated theories or discussions. As English is not my first language, feel free to fix or rewrite anything that sounds wrong.

Sure enough, your youtube link for cut 049 is dead. "Blocked for copyright violations".
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:45 am

At last, after all these years...

Cut 110 : Aircraft being a word that doesn't decline in the plural, of course.
Cuts 113, 118, 121, 133: Srs bzns Misato is not "Beer, more than just a breakfast drink" Misato.
Cut 139: It's the future and they're still using floppy disks.
Cut 147B: the green screen looks like it could have been taken from, or made in imitation of, something real. The red screens look like they were built around a capture from one of the office PCs booting to DOS, but with "k" going to "T" to show it's the future. So maybe that was a 1.4PB storage disk in the trash earlier.
Cut 249: Momentum, how does it work.
Cut 284a, 322e: reuses the boot screen from before
Cut 284d: is a hex dump of something; lots of 00 and FF bytes, so probably a chunk out of a random executable.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:25 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Sure enough, your youtube link for cut 049 is dead. "Blocked for copyright violations".

Weird, it works here at home but YouTube blocks it from my workplace. IP location weirdness strikes once more.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Cut 147B: the green screen looks like it could have been taken from, or made in imitation of, something real. The red screens look like they were built around a capture from one of the office PCs booting to DOS

I once wrote an in-depth analysis of that screen. I should clean it up and post it somewhere one of these days... I'm not sure if the Commentary Supplemental Pages are the right place for that kind of extremely geeky content, though.

TL;DR: the text on the screen doesn't come from a regular MS-DOS PC. It's taken from the IBM-incompatible NEC PC-9800, one of the most popular Japanese personal computer families from the eighties. They captured the output of a few other real programs to create that screenshot. Tracking those down took quite some time, but there were some interesting findings.

@Mr. Tines: by any chance, do you have post rights to the News section of the site? Previous episodes used to be announced here, but it looks like admins have overlooked this thread. Well, I guess it's kind of hard to find if one doesn't visit the Editorium often enough. Should I PM someone else? Thanks!

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:58 pm

View Original Postath wrote:I once wrote an in-depth analysis of that screen. I should clean it up and post it somewhere one of these days... I'm not sure if the Commentary Supplemental Pages are the right place for that kind of extremely geeky content, though.

TL;DR: the text on the screen doesn't come from a regular MS-DOS PC. It's taken from the IBM-incompatible NEC PC-9800, one of the most popular Japanese personal computer families from the eighties. They captured the output of a few other real programs to create that screenshot. Tracking those down took quite some time, but there were some interesting findings.

Isn't that exactly what the supplemental pages are FOR, though? In-depth focus on minutiae?
(Why am I reminded of Steins;Gate?)
View Original Postath wrote:@Mr. Tines: by any chance, do you have post rights to the News section of the site? Previous episodes used to be announced here, but it looks like admins have overlooked this thread. Well, I guess it's kind of hard to find if one doesn't visit the Editorium often enough. Should I PM someone else? Thanks!

Wasn't that already done? (Though I do agree that there should be a notice somewhere more conspicuous... but where?)
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:22 pm

View Original Postimprimatur13 wrote:Wasn't that already done? (Though I do agree that there should be a notice somewhere more conspicuous... but where?)

Sorry, I meant the evageeks.org home page. It's linked as "News" from both the forum and the wiki headers. I'm not sure how many users actually visit it rather than going directly to the forum subdomain, but It can't hurt to have it posted there if possible.
Evageeks' Twitter account and the various Evangelion themed Reddits can potentially reach a much wider audience, but I'm not sure what are our official policies (if any) in posting news there.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:40 pm

View Original Postath wrote:Sorry, I meant the evageeks.org home page. It's linked as "News" from both the forum and the wiki headers. I'm not sure how many users actually visit it rather than going directly to the forum subdomain, but It can't hurt to have it posted there if possible.
Evageeks' Twitter account and the various Evangelion themed Reddits can potentially reach a much wider audience, but I'm not sure what are our official policies (if any) in posting news there.

Hmmm... I'll PM Evamonkey. He'd have ultimate say on both those places :).

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:59 pm

As far as Reddit goes, please feel free to submit a text post telling people about the project, and include a link to the designated thread.

I'll be happy to repost the contents of that post to the Eva Geeks news feed. So, just keep that in mind. Sorry to pass the buck, but I'm deep in another writing project at the moment.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:14 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:As far as Reddit goes, please feel free to submit a text post telling people about the project, and include a link to the designated thread.

Done!

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:58 pm

View Original Postath wrote:I once wrote an in-depth analysis of that screen. I should clean it up and post it somewhere one of these days... I'm not sure if the Commentary Supplemental Pages are the right place for that kind of extremely geeky content, though.

That would be a great candidate for a supplemental page.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:50 pm

How does it works? I simply leave the number of a cut and leave a personal opinion about it? Because in that case I have just two strong opinions about episode 7.

#256: This is one of the worst looking cut in the entire Evangelion. Oddly animated, totally uninspiring, Unit 01 is too dark and it doesn't match the Jet Alone style at all. They seems mechas from two different shows with different character designers and animators.

#268: In an episode that I could rate as mediocre at best this cut shines bright. The same shot is used again for Episode 26 for a reason, it's pleasing and Misato's smile is full of positive emotions.

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:34 pm

^ Yup.

097:
The fact that even Pen-pen -- who's known Misato for (presumably) a long time -- is shocked, shows that it is VERY rare for her to dress this way upon waking. Seriously, poor fella looks like he's gonna have a heart attack.

098:
2 possible reasons she's speaking so formally to Shin-chan:

1. She wants to rebuild her AT field, which had been damaged last time, when Shinji hit a nerve.
2. She's preparing for the demonstration, and for the level-headed-ness and formality necessary there. So, she's practicing on him.

100:
The use of the shoehorn to force her foot into the heels symbolizes how she's forcing herself into a role she's unaccustomed to. (And that she's unaccustomed to wearing heels... ;) )

103:
Shinji's overwhelmed, because he's been given the cold shoulder by the one person he was beginning to feel loved him. He probably worries that his sarcastic remarks from before are the cause of this distance.

104:
"Intelligent buildings", you say... Sentience? Or just referring to the MAGI that control them? Mysteries...

115:
Are you, UA? Well, maybe, but still cool :).

Anyway, I notice there are not NEARLY enough chairs for everyone there... I guess the standing people aren't important enough to warrant seats? Lower-level government employees, reporters, etc. I imagine.

124:
To expand a bit on what UA said:
Tokita and Ritusko's exchange here reminds me of Misato and Shinji's earlier, when they were casual. Here, Tokita is talking down to her the way Shinji was to Misato (but more so). The difference, is that unlike Mitchan, Ritsuko is able to formulate a response. However, Misato still calls her behavior "childish". Why, when she did the same thing before (and not as skillfully)?

I think that, between the first Misato/Shinji scene and the second, she realized how ridiculous she had behaved, and was a bit embarrassed. Now, she's calling out Ritsuko for a fault she herself has. This is typical of NGE's characters. (Asuka calls out Rei in the elevator for being a "doll", which is exactly what Asuka was as a child.)

131:
Of course Tokita doesn't care about the starving people; he just wants the money for his JSSDF. But, because of politeness (and self-respect), not as if he can just come out and SAY that...

132:
As before, the shot of the 2 alone at their table shows how alone they are; nobody else in the room is on their side. (Which is why they laugh at Ritchan.)

133:
"It must be nice." Tokita's jealousy of NERV's privileges is really showing.

137:
Misato seems unbothered, but I think she's upset on the inside. See 140.

141:
Ritsuko says that, but the only reason she's not doing the same is because she's already planning something much worse. Which is why she takes out her anger on an innocent pamphlet. It'll hold her until she exacts her real revenge.

157:
The control rods remind me a bit of wings.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:41 am

View Original Postath wrote:@Mr. Tines: by any chance, do you have post rights to the News section of the site?
Alas, no -- I'm forum only.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:53 am

Awesome! Reading the commentaries is something I always love to do when I'm bored, and I'm more than willing to join in!

Cut 013: It's a relatively minor cut, but I just love the expression on Shinji's face. In general, Evangelion is a show full of excellent character expressions that tell us exactly how the character is feeling, whether they're comedic and silly, solemn and quiet, or horrifying and distressed, while looking incredibly appealing and well-drawn at the same time. I'll make sure to note other expressions that catch my eye throughout the episode, but hats off to both Yoshiyuki Sadamoto (the character designer) and the animators who come up with these awesome faces!

Cut 053: Maybe it's the lighting or the angle of the shot, but Misato's neck looks really long here. What's that French term used on Phineas & Ferb? Cou de crayon, I think...

Cut 071: Hey, it works as a pretty decent joke when you consider the dialogue in the previous shot. I can deal with physics suddenly being tossed out the window for a second.

Cut 079: One of my favourite things about Evangelion is how the storytelling flows naturally from scene to scene; even though we jump to a completely different location and cast of characters, we're never left confused as to what's going on. That can be seen here, when we transition from the man mentioning Second Impact to Ritsuko telling Shinji about what really happened with the Second Impact.

Cut 087: I can't help wonder if there's something similar to the Kuleshov Effect* going on with this cut. It's just a shot of Misato holding her folder, but with Cut 083 implying her anger at Second Impact, it makes this shot look like she's angrily holding the folder.

*The Kuleshov Effect is a mental phenomenon associated with film language, where viewers interpret and derive context from a series of sequential shots (for example, a shot of a man's face followed by a shot of food makes us think the man is hungry - regardless of how he looked in the shot).

Cut 109: Fairly minor one, but I just love the last face Misato makes in this shot.

Cut 124: Another great face, and I'll admit to feeling like that at many a social occasion.

Cut 141: I wish the characters' pupils would thin out more often. It looks really good at the end of this cut.

Cut 160: When you've got a giant robot walking around with a nuclear reactor inside, I'd rather it NOT have the running speed of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Cut 197: The massive window, overall room layout and shot composition reminds me of the Japanese governor's office in EOE (right down to the secretary standing to the side). I wonder if this is the same guy; if so, maybe he took the credit for preventing this crisis and got promoted to an office with a giant pendulum.

Cut 207: Another thing to gush about Evangelion (albeit from its production side) is its script. It's very concise, but says everything that needs to be said to help the animators, the actors and everyone else involved figure out exactly what they need to do. In this case, it really helps bring a lot more character and even a bit of subtle development to Tokita, who would otherwise be a no-name idiot that gets swiped aside when things hit the fan.

Cut 210: I just realized that Ritsuko's watching Misato strip down to her underdress. That's not odd.

Cut 221: See what I mean with the script? In only a couple of lines of dialogue and brief descriptions, there's so much more conveyed than what most writers would take several exchanges to get across! Goddamn, I love this show!

Cut 293: The biggest criticism I hear of this episode is how 'pointless' it is: it doesn't advance the plot, and nothing particularly interesting of note happens. Now, I disagree with that opinion, but I feel that if Misato thought back to this moment, even just once, it would have made it clearer to viewers that this episode did matter (at least in the sense that episodes should only matter by their contributions to the plot).

Cut 343: And now to reprise the opening scene once more. I enjoy simple bookends like these.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:31 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Cut 284d: is a hex dump of something; lots of 00 and FF bytes, so probably a chunk out of a random executable.

You're right. If we ignore columns 17-24 (which are an exact copy of columns 9-16) and convert the result back to binary we get something that can be disassembled cleanly as 16-bit x86 executable code.
The code at 0x800 looks like an entry point to a function which contains plenty of x87 floating point code. All the far calls seem to point to 0:0FFFFh - is this object code that hasn't been linked yet? I've uploaded the reconstructed binary and a disassembled listing here, if by any chance an assembly guru is lurking around this forum.

120:
Look at the first column of text from the right — "イクハラ電子電波(株)" — or, if you prefer, "IKUHARA Radio Electronics (Corp.)", or something close to that. We sure knew of the special friendship between Anno and Ikuni, but this is getting a little creepy...
Thanks again to the Evangelion Encyclopedia for the find.

126:
Is this the official source of the "bousou" / "berserk" translation, by Gainax themselves?

143:
Are we sure that Nerv's hacking of JA wasn't planned right from the start? Ritsuko herself says later that "everything proceeded according to the scenario".
I mean, as dense as Misato sometimes appears to be, I'm quite sure she would have suspected something if she saw Ritsuko messing around with her laptop with that expression on her face.

167:
I kind of remember Team Nerv being a bit more excited back when their own robot was making his first step. As for the "walking properly" part, though...

184:
The presence of a pressurizer implies that Jet Alone is using a pressurized water reactor, the same type of reactor used in most nuclear-powered military vessels and power stations around the world.

Note that an anomalous occurrence in the pressurizer (a malfunction of a relief valve, which caused inconsistent readings from the instruments) was one of the primary causes of the Three Mile Island accident in 1979.

186:
You have no idea how many times I heard that at work. No, they don't let us play with nuclear reactors, unfortunately.

-------------------------

074:
"The True Evangelion... So, the purpose of the current units, including Unit 01, is to pave the way for its completion." ...wait. Nevermind.

081:
From the Evangelion Encyclopedia, once again:
The newspaper Maiasa Shinbun, episode 7: The name of the Maiasa Shinbun (lit. "the newspaper of all mornings") that is used to show the official
version of the reasons for Second Impact) is most probably the fusion of the names of two existing newspapers, the MAInichi Shinbun ("the newspaper of all days") and the ASAhi Shinbun ("the newspaper of the Rising Sun").
The head office address is the same of Gainax's.

So, MAInichi Shimbun (毎日新聞) + ASAhi Shimbun (朝日新聞) = Maiasa Shinbun (毎朝新聞).

103:
Look! Someone accidentally mentioned Dilbert on Evageeks, finally giving me a valid reason to post a link to the legendary New Products Evangelist in the Commentary!

197:
Sounds like everyone's favorite triple-agent has a fourth job on the side...

210:
That's definitely not odd. (from Die Sterne, for those interested)

227:
To be fair, the scripts says he's sitting in the co-pilot's seat. Note that he's actually sitting in the left seat, which in reality is the captain's seat in virtually every fixed-wing aircraft. Right-hand-drive confusion on part of the storyboarder, I guess...

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:44 pm

062:

Toji and Kensuke say the exact same thing at the same time, showing they are gifted with some sort of telepathy.
This show is really more cartoonish starting with this episode.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:15 pm

I've only just realizad that this is actually one of the few scenes in the entire series on wich we see Gendo outside of Nerv.
In episode 5 he goes to see the remains of the 4th angel; episode 12, at Antarctica; ep. 17, in a train with Fuyutsuki (and even then, going into Nerv) and some scenes of episode 21 (wich pre-date Nerv)...

I second UrsusArctos comment on "witch-suko", I also found her expression hilarious first time I watched it.

You can almost see Ritsuko cracking a rib out of holding the desire of cackling wickedly at the upcoming mayhem.

Ah... That running gag of being saved at the last possible square of a graphical representation of a an almost abstract computer concept.

At this point in the series, reuse of footage was interpreted as a great way of storytellyng...
From episode 16 and onwards you can see they were clearly scratching the bottom of the budget-barrel...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 pm

065:
Here's Cut 328 from Episode 2 in all its Freudian glory.

201:
Compare (and contrast) with the bureaucrats in Shin Godzilla. One of which is supposedly the protagonist.

210 (first part):
The Evangelion Encyclopedia seems to suggest that the "F" in "F-type equipment" stands for "fly".

222:
Wait, wasn't Northrop's aircraft called YB-49? If I remember correctly, the 'Y' prefix designates a prototype of an aircraft intended for production, while the 'X' prefix is reserved for purely experimental aircrafts. That said, the distinction can be a little fuzzy at times (compare YF-22/YF-23 to X-32/X-35, for example).

The Evangelion Encyclopedia seems to be confused on this point. It notes the resemblance to a real aircraft they call "XB-49" but seems surprisingly sure that the official designation of this aircraft in the Evangelion universe is "YB-49". Does any official source confirm this?

224:
That plane is ridicolously huge. Assuming a Reichu Standard Measurement (RSM) for the height of an Evangelion unit of 40 meters, we can roughly estimate the wingspan of that aircraft at around 350 meters (almost 1150 ft). The current record holder for largest wingspan is the Scaled Composites Stratolaunch at only 117 meters. For comparison, the real YB-49 is way down the list at slightly less than 53 meters.

243:
Not sure that's necessarily a good idea.

291:
Is this the same font used for Rebirth's eyecatch?

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”