Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Official "Hello/Goodbye" Thread!

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:17 pm

Heh, welcome back!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Slowpokeking
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Slowpokeking » Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:03 pm

Hi guys, I am not a hardcore fan of the franchise but really love Misato's character ever since I firstly watched it 20 years ago. To me she was pretty much the symbol of all goodness of a woman and human being. So I made this video in the fanfic section and hope to see about anything to discuss.

Patchouli
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Patchouli » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:49 pm

Hello and good day! Patchouli at your service! I may be uninvited but I hope I'm not unwelcome!

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Welcome aboard!
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Eva Dragon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Dragon » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:21 pm

Hi there!
I've just registered today, so I may look like a newbie fan hungry for spoilers but... well, the second part is kinda true. :lol:
I'm a fan since early 2000s, but haven't enganged very much in online communities during the last few years because of real life and stuff. Now the final movie is out at last and the mosaic will soon be completed, so I think that it's a good moment to finally be here as a regular user and not just a lurker. Cheers!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:22 pm

Welcome and I hope you have fun here.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 31 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

EvaChero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:50 pm

Greetings and Felicitations,

Just an old time fan who hasn't had much time for geeking out the last few years but
with Netflix putting Eva back on my mind Ive been enjoying threads on here as a lurker.

The spoiler thread presented an impossible to ignore temptation to join. :bigeyes:

I have hobbies mainly to do with working on my project car, playing guitar and doing my version of "artwork"
anything to take my mind off of real work.

Cheers.
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

Zusuchan
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Hi!

SolSamaD2
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SolSamaD2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:53 pm

Hello, I am SolSamaD2!

I've never been in a forum before and I just made this account today.

My hobbies: I enjoy making "artwork", going out for walks and occasionally playing video games.

About me as a person: I generally just love doing what I want to do, As in drawing what I want to draw or whatever. I probably won't be as active on this forum since I'm more active on my twitter and/or on the evageeks discord server (people probably recognize my name from there), but I'm happy to be here.

Xenoblade
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xenoblade » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Greetings! I lurked on-and-off for years so I decided to make an account, finally. I look forward to checking in and contributing from time to time. :penpen_respect:
Don't be.

Ninafost
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ninafost » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:36 am

Hello, I finally got around to watching this series, and it was quite a fascinating experience. Although I must say, despite Shinji being the protagonist, I really think Asuka stole the show, she instantly became my favorite the moment she appeared.

I guess next is to watch the movies, but from what I understand they are kind of their own standalone story, separate from the main-series and End of Evangelion? Thank you. :D

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:41 am

View Original PostNinafost wrote:Hello, I finally got around to watching this series, and it was quite a fascinating experience. Although I must say, despite Shinji being the protagonist, I really think Asuka stole the show, she instantly became my favorite the moment she appeared.

I guess next is to watch the movies, but from what I understand they are kind of their own standalone story, separate from the main-series and End of Evangelion? Thank you. :D

No spoilers but do watch them, they are pretty, have great music, and they are well directed.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Zusuchan
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:11 pm

Hi, Ninafost! About your question re: "the movies", then first off I'll have to ask whether or not you've seen The End of Evangelion, abbreviated as EoE, which is a 1997 film that starts off from after episode 24 and then goes from there. The best way to put it would be that it takes the basic plot of NGE's two last episodes, but provides a different perspective on the actions there, featuring more insight into the events preceding Instrumentality. However, many people believe EoE is actually set in a different world and not concurrent with NGE's ending at all-and since there's no official statement, that's a legitimate view too. EoE should very much be watched, though, it's necessary for a more complete Eva experience and in my view, it's a masterpiece that adds a lot to the Tv series.

Then, there's Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth , which is one part Death, a recap film of NGE's events and one part Rebirth, the first 24 minutes or so of EoE. If you want to, you can watch Death, it's a rather interesting recap film that is more about creating an aesthetic feeling than a traditional recap, if that makes sense. And if you love NGE, you'll probably find it at least a little interesting.

Now, if you mean the Rebuilds, then they're also worth watching. They tend to have more of a mixed reception among even more hardcore Eva fans, but they're Anno's own works and are, in my view at least, very great and interesting. The first two are a bit more "generic", but I consider that an intentional choice to make some of the third film's decisions to come off a lot stronger.

Ninafost
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ninafost » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:55 pm

View Original PostZusuchan wrote:Hi, Ninafost! About your question re: "the movies", then first off I'll have to ask whether or not you've seen The End of Evangelion, abbreviated as EoE, which is a 1997 film that starts off from after episode 24 and then goes from there. The best way to put it would be that it takes the basic plot of NGE's two last episodes, but provides a different perspective on the actions there, featuring more insight into the events preceding Instrumentality. However, many people believe EoE is actually set in a different world and not concurrent with NGE's ending at all-and since there's no official statement, that's a legitimate view too. EoE should very much be watched, though, it's necessary for a more complete Eva experience and in my view, it's a masterpiece that adds a lot to the Tv series.

Then, there's Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth , which is one part Death, a recap film of NGE's events and one part Rebirth, the first 24 minutes or so of EoE. If you want to, you can watch Death, it's a rather interesting recap film that is more about creating an aesthetic feeling than a traditional recap, if that makes sense. And if you love NGE, you'll probably find it at least a little interesting.

Now, if you mean the Rebuilds, then they're also worth watching. They tend to have more of a mixed reception among even more hardcore Eva fans, but they're Anno's own works and are, in my view at least, very great and interesting. The first two are a bit more "generic", but I consider that an intentional choice to make some of the third film's decisions to come off a lot stronger.

Thanks for the response!
Yes, I watched The End of Evangelion after watching the first 26 episodes, and thought it was fantastic.

I will give the Rebuild films a shot next then.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:11 pm

Welcome aboard! Glad you liked NGE/EoE, here's hoping that you'll have a similar experience with the Rebuilds

baldur
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:20 pm

View Original PostNinafost wrote:Hello, I finally got around to watching this series, and it was quite a fascinating experience. Although I must say, despite Shinji being the protagonist, I really think Asuka stole the show, she instantly became my favorite the moment she appeared.

:worship: all hail Asuka
View Original PostNinafost wrote:I guess next is to watch the movies, but from what I understand they are kind of their own standalone story, separate from the main-series and End of Evangelion? Thank you. :D

Yes, the films are a standalone story, but I find it best to approach them as "spiritual sequels" if that makes sense. Essentially, don't just think of them as simply being remakes. They are largely made with the assumption that the viewer has seen NGE/EoE, even if it's not exactly "necessary" to do so. They are very divisive across the fanbase and opinions vary wildly but I hope you give them a fair shot cause I think they're great!
:kaworu_thumbsup:

TastyCap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TastyCap » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:06 am

Hello! I just finished watching the original series and EOE on Netflix with my partner a few days ago. I had already seen it at 14, but it didn't resonate with me on a level deeper than an appreciation for the show's designs and presentation. During this rewatch, something clicked. The characters felt real, the messages hit incredibly hard, the story made me feel things I didn't realize I could feel for a fictional work, and it's all I've been able to think about since.

I haven't seen the Rebuilds, but I'll watch them soon. As soon as EOE finished we both decided to go ahead and rewatch the series from the start again, so after that's finished I'll be able to get around to them. For a number of reasons, I was able to relate to Asuka's character and story the most, and I'm pretty sure she might be my favorite fictional character ever. The other characters are equally compelling, and I'm left with an overwhelming desire to see them be happy for once.

I'm a little upset that I've missed out on decades of discussion, and I'm slightly worried that everything to say about the show has already been said, but finding that EvaGeeks is an active community in 2021 put me at ease. I figured I'd give my partner a break from my constant gushing about the show and just join the conversation in a space where I can do as much of that as I'd like.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:19 am

Welcome!

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:For a number of reasons, I was able to relate to Asuka's character and story the most, and I'm pretty sure she might be my favorite fictional character ever.

By way of warning, Asuka is one of the more obviously rebuilt characters in the Rebuilds, starting with the name change (Shikinami instead of Sohryu).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL

baldur
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby baldur » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 am

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:I haven't seen the Rebuilds, but I'll watch them soon. As soon as EOE finished we both decided to go ahead and rewatch the series from the start again, so after that's finished I'll be able to get around to them. For a number of reasons, I was able to relate to Asuka's character and story the most, and I'm pretty sure she might be my favorite fictional character ever.

Another member of the Church of Asuka, welcome :misato_itadakimasu:

I'll give you the same advice as I did the person before you and say that the Rebuilds should be approached more as sequels than remakes (in a spiritual and thematic sense, not literally). And again, fair warning, these films are extremely divisive. I hope you give them a fair shake.

:kaworu_thumbsup:

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:I'm a little upset that I've missed out on decades of discussion, and I'm slightly worried that everything to say about the show has already been said, but finding that EvaGeeks is an active community in 2021 put me at ease. I figured I'd give my partner a break from my constant gushing about the show and just join the conversation in a space where I can do as much of that as I'd like.

Even so, you're just in time for the new (and final) Evangelion film which was released earlier this month, so there's more discussion to be had than ever! And catching up on the decades of discussion is half the fun anyway.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:58 am

View Original PostTastyCap wrote:I'm a little upset that I've missed out on decades of discussion, and I'm slightly worried that everything to say about the show has already been said, but finding that EvaGeeks is an active community in 2021 put me at ease. I figured I'd give my partner a break from my constant gushing about the show and just join the conversation in a space where I can do as much of that as I'd like.

Welcome! :asuka_happy:

I don't think we're at the point where everything that could be said about Evangelion has been said yet, even though it's now a full 25 years since Episode 25 aired! So don't worry, there's plenty more discussion to be had.
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”